Thread: Tactical vs Strategic

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tactical vs Strategic

Tactical
    I focus on methods. Goals are modified to fit methods.

Strategic
    I focus on goals, Methods are modified to fit goals.

Isn't life mostly about meeting targets, goals, and deadlines these day?

I would think most people would choose Strategic. I don't think this dichotomy is useful in socionics. I think it depends, for example, on what type of job a person does.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tactical/Strategic dichotomy worthless?

Quote Originally Posted by Elzo
    Maybe. But not for me.

I would think most people would choose Strategic.
    I wouldn't.

I don't think this dichotomy is useful in socionics.
    During the debates between the former Swedish prime minister Göran Persson and our current prime minister (since the national election in September 2006) Fredrik Reinfeldt, it became very obvious and explicit that Persson is Strategical (I think he is an ESTp) and that Reinfeldt is Tactical (I am very sure that he is an ISTj).

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Reinfeldt's goal was to win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical

Strategic

I would think most people would choose Strategic. I don't think this dichotomy is useful in socionics. I think it depends, for example, on what type of job a person does.
    Choosing strategic might be more common. For example I used to choose strategic but I'm slowly switching. I think farsighted people might think they are also strategic (as is my case). However if you seek for your most natural way of doing things I think the difference gets clearer. E.g. can you get satisfaction from life or work without having any explicit strategic goals? if you have a strategic goal then how likely are you to give it up if it seems like the best tactical path would lead you to a somewhat different but comparable goal?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all about process. I care much less about the end goal. In fact if there's some goal I'm supposed to be working towards, the goal overshadows the process and ruins it for me. For example, in middle school I used to hate science experiments because even though I enjoyed the actual experiment, it stressed me out that I had to get a particular answer and if I didn't get that answer, I'd have to redo the experiment. Rather than just letting the experiment turn out the way it would, I felt pressure to come up with the right answer. Goals ruin everything.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Reinfeldt's goal was to win.
    Irrelevant. In their debates Reinfeldt reasoned like a Tactical. His focus was always on methods, and Persson criticized him for not wanting to set up clear goals to be reached. And Reinfeldt criticized Persson for setting up goals that he hadn't managed to reach. They were explicitly different -- Reinfeldt focussing on correct methods and seeing the goals as secondary, Persson focussing on correct goals and seeing the methods as secondary.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm a Tactical person - I think that's because I'm uncertain of what my goals are...but I know how to get there. I don't know what external changes I'll experience, and they may affect the end result - it doesn't really help me to have clearly defined goals.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's any more worthless than the other Reinen dichotomies.

Anyway, I'm definitely not goal-oriented. I never finish anything. But it feels good to say you like goals so most people would say they're goal-oriented regardless of which dichotomy they actually are. Which is why these dichotomies are pretty close to worthless as far as typing goes.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you worked in an office, I doubt you could be anything but goal oritentated.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have worked in an office and I work very well to deadlines of other people's making. But in terms of my own personal life, I don't work with goals. At least very minimally. My husband and I do have financial goals. You know, retirement, cash cushion, stuff like that, college savings. But I don't say to myself "my goal is to lose 10 pounds by Christmas" or "in two years I want to have started a business" or "by next summer I want to have the bathrooms completely renovated". I am much more go with the flow. Things get done, but only when the spirit moves and I'm very flexible about changing my mind and letting my mind be changed by circumstances and/or other people's ideas.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Red Baron said, when I worked in an office I worked on other people's goals, but I didn't have goals of my own. And I certainly don't in my own life. My husband is in charge of that kind of thing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Tactical

Strategic

Choosing strategic might be more common. For example I used to choose strategic but I'm slowly switching. I think farsighted people might think they are also strategic (as is my case). However if you seek for your most natural way of doing things I think the difference gets clearer. E.g. can you get satisfaction from life or work without having any explicit strategic goals? if you have a strategic goal then how likely are you to give it up if it seems like the best tactical path would lead you to a somewhat different but comparable goal?
    yeah strategic is the more attractive, popular answer but that doesn't mean the dichotomy is out the window.

i think i could be tactical actually. for example i had a career "strategy" (i called it) of expanding my influence as a means of moving up. this involved taking on a lot of different projects and taking on a part time teaching position. this did not work. these were tactics, things i wanted to do. if my goal was really to move up then i should have cut way back on my responsibilities and worked on politicking, relationships with influential people, and putting myself in the right spot at the right time. however these tactics did solidfy my position well and establish my credibility. this was good in a field where you have to do that.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    But it feels good to say you like goals so most people would say they're goal-oriented regardless of which dichotomy they actually are. Which is why these dichotomies are pretty close to worthless as far as typing goes.
    In the example I gave, the dichotomy corroborated the correctness of my typing of the two politicians. But of course the dichotomies are useless for self-typing if people don't understand them.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm strategic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to think I'm strategic, although I'm wondering if I'm actually tactical. I don't know, I think real life requires you to be both at times. I mean, I do have goals, but I don't necessarily meet them and they are changeable. Quite often my goals adapt to how things go. An example is the music CD in my signature; back when I first started writing the album I didn't have any plans to sell it or even produce it - I was just into songwriting as a hobby at the time. As things progressed, I eventually decided I wanted to record my music and later decided I wanted to sell CDs of my music. Is this an example of tactics? I mean, I'd like to think I'm still thinking long-term, but these long-term goals aren't necessarily there from the start, they come along as things develop. Is this normal for Ni IPs? I know Ni EJs are meant to be long-term planners, but..
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dichotomy isn't worthless... but trying to test on it is, for the reasons you mentioned, Elzo.

Every dichotomy is stronger in some types and people than others. I'm very clearly strategic... too strategic, honestly. Some people/types are very clearly tactics, like LSE's, for example. Some people/types will seem to be more in the middle though.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    I'd like to think I'm strategic, although I'm wondering if I'm actually tactical. I don't know, I think real life requires you to be both at times. I mean, I do have goals, but I don't necessarily meet them and they are changeable. Quite often my goals adapt to how things go. An example is the music CD in my signature; back when I first started writing the album I didn't have any plans to sell it or even produce it - I was just into songwriting as a hobby at the time. As things progressed, I eventually decided I wanted to record my music and later decided I wanted to sell CDs of my music. Is this an example of tactics? I mean, I'd like to think I'm still thinking long-term, but these long-term goals aren't necessarily there from the start, they come along as things develop. Is this normal for Ni IPs? I know Ni EJs are meant to be long-term planners, but..
    this sounds tactical to me.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't think being a Tactical type is a bad thing - I think I'd prefer it to being a Stategic type. .

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tactics/strategy is actually an interesting dichotomy. when i first heard about dichotomies, tactics > strategy was the single dichotomy with which i identified the most. i really like the idea of having goals not be an end to themselves. i am about the least goal-oriented person you will find; i don't set goals and i dislike tying myself into having to complete some particular arcane task for the sake of self-improvement (self-improvement itself is really an insane waste of time; like i need somebody's help to organize every single detail of my life. i really hate imposed organization on that scale.)

anyway, i don't really believe in any of the dichotomies (with the possible exception of static/dynamic) as being valid, mostly because i can't see them in other people. i've given up trying. but i'm still intrigued by this one.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Reinin.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm strategy, and my interactions with tactical are always somewhat strange. I am always incredibly careful to state and to work towards my goal in order not to waste energy in vain and not to make mistakes. Tacticals seem to easily spit out their goals, and just as easily change them. So every time a tactics says a goal he has, I already think he has all his/her life planned around it, and when they change it, I'm left :S
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What type makes the best strategic planner?

Whether it be a battle field or an American football game, what type is the best at locating an enemies weaknesses and strengths and plans his/her opposition accordingly? I am interested in other people's answers on this.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds more like tactical than strategical.

In that case, I'd say SLE.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post

It is certainly not the SLE. (This is an extremely clear and obvious example of a false statement made by Expat.)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    It is certainly not the SLE. (This is an extremely clear and obvious example of a false statement made by Expat.)
    You obviously have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Many of the greatest battlefield leaders of all time have been typed as SLE for a good reason. I am too tired to elaborate on this but I know that Expat will tear you apart.

I would equate tactical prowess to and strategy with . I consider my grasp of long-term strategy to be my greatest strength. However, I often have problems with implementing my strategies in the short run ( seeking).
    ENTj

"A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it..."

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
    - Thomas E Lawrence

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
    You obviously have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Many of the greatest battlefield leaders of all time have been typed as SLE for a good reason.
    To be a great battlefield leader is a totally different thing from being a good strategic planner. They require different skills. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    Whether it be a battle field or an American football game, what type is the best at locating an enemies weaknesses and strengths and plans his/her opposition accordingly?
    Enemy strengths and weaknesses are certainly related to Se. Hence, it logically follows that planning the opposition will be planning according to Se.

I think some LIEs are good strategists, but I'm not sure how this is so in socionics. Someone would have to explain it in more detail to me. The best example of strategy in an LIE that I can think of is an LIE economist, who predicts and forecasts based on the stock market. Beyond this, I couldn't say. Expat could though; he can read the stock market data. I plan on learning to at some point.

I thought SLEs were strategic according to Reinin, not tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
    I am too tired to elaborate on this but I know that Expat will tear you apart.
    Se FTW.

I would equate tactical prowess to and strategy with . I consider my grasp of long-term strategy to be my greatest strength. However, I often have problems with implementing my strategies in the short run ( seeking).
    Not because Reinin puts SLEs down as strategic types do I think that SLEs often have good strategy. However, they're often unable to foresee that which LIEs can foresee.

To be a great battlefield leader is a totally different thing from being a good strategic planner. They require different skills.
    This is partly correct. In the British army, a platoon commander - a 2Lt - must pay attention to tactics less than his CO, but to strategy more than his men. The further you rise in the ranks, the more you need to pay attention to strategy, the less to tactics. I think the army takes people who are tactical and makes them strategic (I'm not talking Reinin here, but it probably applies to some extent), and those who are naturally intuitive or whatever; those who aren't cut out for grunt work but who are amazing strategists once they get to the top will probably struggle a bit and leave before they can demonstrate their skills.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

demented fuck
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a master of strategic planning and tactical maneuvers. My global empire will be complete in 2012.

Therefore, LII are the best strategists.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was going to say SLE and LIE, depending on the specifics of the situation.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively View Post
    i was going to say SLE and LIE, depending on the specifics of the situation.
    And that is just a ridiculous suggestion.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that settles it.

I couldn't figure out if it would be better to fill out each quarter with types of the same quadra, temperament, or club. We may have to work out some kind of seeding structure.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's easy, it's me. Actually, I make the best of everything, I am God. This is an undisputable fact of reality.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts exactly.

I think LSI, probably.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I think the type of strategizing that you see chess players doing is something Ti dominants are best at/most in tune with.
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I think LSI, probably.
    An even more ridiculous suggestion. LSIs are very bad at strategic planning. Only one of the NT types can be really good at strategic planning in comparison to every single one of the S types. Strategic planning is in itself an NT domain.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    And I think the type of strategizing that you see chess players doing is something Ti dominants are best at/most in tune with.
    Definitely not always. I suck at chess.

And that is just a ridiculous suggestion.
    Where is your right answer?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Definitely not always. I suck at chess.

Where is your right answer?
    I don't know which exact type should be considered the ultimate strategist, but it is definitely one of the NT types. And it is not the ENTp.

Creepy-Cyclops

Leaving aside rhenin dichotomies, I always though NT's tend to be better at strategy building, and ST's - especially ISTp's and ESTp's make better tacticians. Where strategy is a long term plan and tactics deal with the issue(s) at hand.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 05-06-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a point that I thought was obvious.

Although Jimbean asked about "strategic planner", he went on to say this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    Whether it be a battle field or an American football game, what type is the best at locating an enemies weaknesses and strengths and plans his/her opposition accordingly? I am interested in other people's answers on this.
    If you're talking about an actual battle field or American football game, then I think it has to do with tactics rather than strategy, and in that case, I stand by my earlier SLE assessment.

Now, if you're talking about real strategy, that is, how to win a war not a battle, with long-term thinking, then I don't think it's the SLE. LIE makes more sense.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast