Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Games

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Strategy Games

Which types would be more inclined to play games like Age Of Empires, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Empire Earth, Total War etc.?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Strategy Games

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Which types would be more inclined to play games like Age Of Empires, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Empire Earth, Total War etc.?
    Not me. Strategy games are like... yuck!
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i enjoy them, but they're usually too much work to be good time wasters.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me

Try also the Panzer General series, the best early games.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to be bad at these sorts of games. I have played maybe a few about 1-2x each... I don't think I quite got the rules down... I don't pick up rules when people talk at me... I need to consider the rules... I tend to be quite underconfident about any group strategy game... I can't tell if this is because I suck at these games, or if I have a confidence issue, or if I don't feel comfortable in organized group activities... or what. And they may be be long and boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love strategy games... and I think a lot of Ni/Se types are going to enjoy them. Also ENTps. My ENTp friend likes playing more medieval-themed, and turn-based strategy games, while I like playing more futuristic themed and real-time strategy games.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more averse to turn-based strategy. I love RTSs.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, Generals every weekend with my friends.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confession: I have never actually heard of any of the games mentioned thus far in this thread, let alone played them.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    @ Loki: oh, man, now we have to execute you.
    why? for over-generalizing games?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like games that are almost entirely strategy. I like a good amount of chance so I don't know what's coming next.

Example - my favorite game is probably Euchre. It's very popular in Michigan (maybe elsewhere as well) and we used to play it all the time in college. I love it because there's some strategy but you have to have an idea of what you'll do in a ton of different scenarios. The game could go a lot of directions and the direction the game goes is largely based on chance.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ONLY strategy game I've ever enjoyed is Starcraft. It had a perfect amount of Action, Tactics, and Strategy. It was like cheesecake.

I've honestly tried REALLY hard to get into other games, but I find overall that a lot of the times they emphasize either the tactics part (way too many kinds of units, or just a damn horde of em ) or the strategy part (have to be able to construct perfect build plans, which we all know in real human matches, can never go according to plan)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I really like strategy games. I've tried all those. Not really good at them. I think I'm too slow, too scattered, and can't concentrate enough EVER to be any good.

Though I still play Warcraft a lot because of the Custom maps.
    The new C&C games are pretty bad IMO. I prefer the old red alert, red alert 2, or aftermath. Generals really puts me to sleep. Civilization and Age of Empires, hmm, I got bored of them too quickly.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Creepy-bg

gurlz dont lik stradegy gamez

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've only played Age of Empires out of that list (I tried Civ III but thought it was crap ) - AOE is fun for a while, then it seems a bit pointless . I like football\soccer sims too...or at least, I used to play them a lot.

Creepy-bg

I played Civ 3 a fair amount... probably a couple of months, then a few more with the expansions.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    !!! You sexist!!!
    INTp
    sx/sp

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    !!! You sexist!!!

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lost my life and socions type because Im playing WoW. I'm a pacifist orc who likes fishing and cooking =)

nahh...
    anyway, I enjoy strategical games, but I guess that I'm more competitive than relaxed with games but in a truly relaxed ambient I really enjoy playing SC and W3 or Rise of Nation. Anyway, like RPG playing games more than anything (oh and Counter Strike of course!).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer turn based strategy games like HOMM and civilization to RTS generally, although RTS are entertaining at times as well. the problem is that playing turn based games is that it takes so much work to play them, i have to think far too hard and i get exhausted by the time i'm done with them. it is mostly for this reason that i have transitioned over the past two or three years from playing a majority of strategy games and dabbling in rpgs to playing a majority of rpgs and dabbling in strategy.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counter Strike LAN is fucking sick. I love it. Haven't played it in a while though.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOMM III was always my favourite HOMM game. But, I haven't playing HOMM V that much to get a good conclution as I do with the third game

ohhh I remembered playing at the 3-4 of the morning!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counter Strike LAN is fucking sick. I love it. Haven't played it in a while though.
    hardly a strategy game.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    hardly a strategy game.
    Not at all - FPS. But someone mentioned it, and it reminded me of the good old days.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by normal
    HOMM III was always my favourite HOMM game. But, I haven't playing HOMM V that much to get a good conclution as I do with the third game

ohhh I remembered playing at the 3-4 of the morning!
    agreed. i still play WoG from time to time. its the best of the HOMM series as far as im concerned.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to love Age of Empires. C&C and Starcraft were good. Warhammer: *snore* I'm still pissed I wasted money on that. I still play Civ 3 a lot - would upgrade to four but my computer is too old.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    Used to love Age of Empires. C&C and Starcraft were good. Warhammer: *snore* I'm still pissed I wasted money on that. I still play Civ 3 a lot - would upgrade to four but my computer is too old.
    yeah man.. me too. I tried installing my friends copy and my computer just choked hard before I hardly had 4 or 5 cities. Civ 3 is a good game though, especially with the addons and shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    yeah man.. me too. I tried installing my friends copy and my computer just choked hard before I hardly had 4 or 5 cities. Civ 3 is a good game though, especially with the addons and shit.
    3 is definitely the pariah of the series, but I'm not sure why.. maybe all the corruption and pollution, haha. Great replay value, anyway.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I love rpgs so much, I make my own. I always see something that is lazy, or weak, or something that could be improved upon. Sometimes I don't even know why World of Warcraft is so popular because in all actuality (it's a fun game) but it isn't like WTFOMGORGASMIC fun...that's the kinda game I wanna create, and make lots of money. =p

If anybody is interested working on a project with me, let me know. You have to be seriously dedicated, and have a lot of free time...and also willing to work with somebody that has high expectations. You also gotta love rpgs as much as me. I'm looking for a partner that can help me with math, while I work on the other stuff.

If you'd like to do this, just pm me here. I'm working on my own game now, I already have a lot of abilities lined up. I pretty much fly like the wind with this thing. I'm really good at it. Hey, we're all good at something. And I'm good at making rpgs.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to... but I don't have a passion for RPGs. Many actually annoy me. I find them to be timewasters. I love FPSs and RTSs, but there's something about the openendedness of RPGs that I can't get my head around. It's like "this game will never end". You just keep training and training and training. And for what? So that you're unbeatable? However, the 'looking cool' aspect of RPGs is appealing.

What's your favourite RPG era B&D?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strategy games are probably my favorite kind.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer the board games. i can't get away from Axis and Allies.

i did like Age of Mythologies for awhile but it wasted a lot of space on my hard drive.

i have a thing for the map "notebooks" in Diplomacy, too, although the game itself is not my favorite.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diplomacy was what I was thinking of when I over-generalized all of these games. I found Diplomacy so boring and long... and I didn't care about winning... I mean what was there to win that I would want? It went on for hours. And having to try to persuade everyone... meh... not fun.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like turn-based strategy games, but I suck at RTS.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves
    I love rpgs so much, I make my own. I always see something that is lazy, or weak, or something that could be improved upon. Sometimes I don't even know why World of Warcraft is so popular because in all actuality (it's a fun game) but it isn't like WTFOMGORGASMIC fun...that's the kinda game I wanna create, and make lots of money. =p

If anybody is interested working on a project with me, let me know. You have to be seriously dedicated, and have a lot of free time...and also willing to work with somebody that has high expectations. You also gotta love rpgs as much as me. I'm looking for a partner that can help me with math, while I work on the other stuff.

If you'd like to do this, just pm me here. I'm working on my own game now, I already have a lot of abilities lined up. I pretty much fly like the wind with this thing. I'm really good at it. Hey, we're all good at something. And I'm good at making rpgs.
    how are you doing your rpg game??
    I think I can help,...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPGs are sooooo monotonous. Most anyway. Especially those MMORPGs with no storylines. I don't quite understand how people can play those for months/years and not get bored of it. I've never lasted more than 3 months on any rpg.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like backgammon very much.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.a

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea
    RPGs are sooooo monotonous. Most anyway. Especially those MMORPGs with no storylines. I don't quite understand how people can play those for months/years and not get bored of it. I've never lasted more than 3 months on any rpg.
    mmoRPG games like Ragnarok?? priston tale??
    Actually I'm playing WoW (dont ask how :wink: ) and like everything else I do in life, after 2 weeks of playing this game, now is losing interest in me. Anyway, my goal is to reach lvl 60.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

People who don't like RPGs are losers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast