Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the advantages to Si?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are the advantages to Si?

From everything that I've read on Si to me it seems like a useless function. But then again that can be my type talking. I don't mean any offense to types by the way. With Si just being about feeling good unless you're a waitress or a hostess it seems not only useless to me but if anything inefficient with the time, money, and energy people with spend on feeling good. Thoughts???
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm.. yes, its obvious that anything Si people think is worthwhile might not make sense to someone whose type defines them as valuing something different. But, even in descriptions and what I've seen in real life is that Si folks do indeed know how to take care of their bodies, and tell if something is wrong, and know how to fix it. So, it would be more efficient for an Si person to diagnose something bodily than an Se person, theoretically.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice avatar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracka: haha thanks
    Ms. Kensington: i guess thats a positive about Si but I still don't see how thats efficient at all... I guess our functions really do dictate our values.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well.. i mean if you're caring for your sick child, every second counts? that's an extreme example but. I don't think it's hard to understand even if you dont value it in general. Like, you said you can spend time more efficiently doing something else. Well, efficiency is maximizing the output in the shortest time, but it doesn't tell you what you're maximizing. So, if it takes an Si person less time to do something than an Se person, it's more efficient.

I want to say more but I'm Tiing!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in comparing the two:

Se is about external demands. Si is about internal demands.

whereas an Se type might find it prudent to do whatever necessary to accomplish some task (say participate in a race). in doing so, maybe the Se type feels that their leg is sore, but they ignore it in favor of winning the race.

an Si type might start to compete, feel that their leg is sore, and stop running. the idea here is that participating in the race is less important than being comfortable and healthy, and having a leg that doesn't bother them later because they overexerted themselves.

this is a very very general comparison. Se and Si do not apply solely to athletic activities, but they do focus on physical and environmental demands.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    in comparing the two:

whereas an Se type might find it prudent to do whatever necessary to accomplish some task (say participate in a race). in doing so, maybe the Se type feels that their leg is sore, but they ignore it in favor of winning the race.

an Si type might start to compete, feel that their leg is sore, and stop running. the idea here is that participating in the race is less important than being comfortable and healthy, and having a leg that doesn't bother them later because they overexerted themselves.

this is a very very general comparison. Se and Si do not apply solely to athletic activities, but they do focus on physical and environmental demands.
    Whoa. Best description comparing Si vs Se I've ever read. It really makes a lot of sense.

Could you do one for any other functions in this way?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    in comparing the two:

Whoa. Best description comparing Si vs Se I've ever read. It really makes a lot of sense.

Could you do one for any other functions in this way?
    probably not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't agree with this, I always work through pain, I just grit my teeth and push through.

I am good at figuring out why something hurts, and how to fix it though. I know exactly what to do when I'm sick to get better, and I'm really good at taking care of other people/animals.

[EDIT] Reading through this again, I take some of what I said back, it depends on how important what I'm doing is. When it comes to something like cardio, I work through the pain, but weight lifting or sports I'll stop cause those are much riskier in terms of the damage I can do to myself.

Hm, yeah that makes more sense with how I acted in the past.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that way about myself as well... maybe it's just an S thing... anyway I have an interesting vs. observation comparison...

-My mom is ENFj, my dad is INTj, and my sister is ESTj. Whenever we're watching plastic surgery tv shows, or go to hospitals, or get blood work done (we obviously don't make it a group trip but you get the idea) my dad and my sister always get queasy whereas my mom and i are fine.... has anyone else made similar observations with people?
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all the hating on Si????

Si makes the world beautiful! It makes life worth living!

What's the purpose of life if you just go to work, go to sleep, and wake up and go to work again every day day in and day out forever.

Si is about relaxing and enjoying the wonderful things around you.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha we're not hating just as much as we're looking at the efficacy of it- I want to be able to see how it works moreso than just that it feels good...
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling good also encompasses health though, my health, someone I care about etc. I can count the number of people I care about on one hand (in less than 5 fingers too ) , so I want to make sure that they're taken care of.

I spend money on expensive things because it brings me comfort, it looks good, it relaxes me, etc. I'm always constantly stressed out, so I do what I need to do to not be stressed out. My family jokes about my spending habits, my INTP dad thinks I don't understand the value of money, I think he over values it. The point of life isn't to pay bills.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the function of bodily care and sensational awareness. How is that useless?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    It is the function of bodily care and sensational awareness. How is that useless?
    im esfp so its hard for me to see the value of that
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive
    A person's type should not be an excuse for ignorance.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't push through pain in non-competitive enviornments because by the time you're done, you now have a useless stump (in relation to the sore leg)

So Si is useless. Hey, could be worse. Could be Fi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A person's type should not be an excuse for ignorance.
    obviously which is why i created this thread.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    I don't push through pain in non-competitive enviornments because by the time you're done, you now have a useless stump (in relation to the sore leg)

So Si is useless. Hey, could be worse. Could be Fi
    haha are you sure you're not an Fi type... you seemed to get mighty offended by this thread.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Offended?? Nah. Sorry if I came off that way, I was just stating what I thought about the Si comment.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in comparing the two:

Si types know when a discomfort is important and when it's not. They are able to pretty much ignore a lot of stuff that intuitive types might worry about (because they're afraid that if they don't, it may end up being a big deal and their ignoring it made it worse), but when it's necessary to seek treatment or rest so they can heal, they know it and are able to do so without feeling paranoid that they're making a big deal out of nothing.

A few more benefits of being a Si type:
    • They're good at providing physical comfort and stability for their families.
    • Whether they're clean or messy, their comfortable in their cleanliness or messiness.
    • They actually know how to relax (an important ability if you intend to accomplish anything in life ).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok cool... i did some research on and supposedly it's also supposed to be about societal norms, or what's considered normal- is that right?
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    in comparing the two:

Si types know when a discomfort is important and when it's not. They are able to pretty much ignore a lot of stuff that intuitive types might worry about (because they're afraid that if they don't, it may end up being a big deal and their ignoring it made it worse), but when it's necessary to seek treatment or rest so they can heal, they know it and are able to do so without feeling paranoid that they're making a big deal out of nothing.

• Whether they're clean or messy, their comfortable in their cleanliness or messiness.
    • They actually know how to relax (an important ability if you intend to accomplish anything in life ).
    thats a good explanation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok cool... i did some research on and supposedly it's also supposed to be about societal norms, or what's considered normal- is that right?
    not even remotely so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    in comparing the two:

This is really good, you said what I wanted to say much more efficiently.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you like sex?

Sex is a lot about .
    Also, if you have no Si value, you will surely die quickly and become diseased.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not even remotely so.
    .... Did you read a bunch of ESFj profiles or ESTj profiles?

That is pretty far off the mark.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in comparing the two:

Disagree completely, I have some ISTp friends I cycle with and they all overextert themselves just as much as me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the descriptions so far in this thread about Si are very bad.

The only requirements for something to be Si are:
    It must be a system.
    It must be something that can be personally manipulated.

Any system that fills those two requirements is Si.

It's possible to do your taxes, to program computers, to win maths competitions, to argue in a court of law, to make accurate budget plans and quite a lot of other things based on Si.

Si has certain advantages and certain problems in these issues, but I suggest you first start by trying to understand what it really is before you go that far.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes
    All the descriptions so far in this thread about Si are very bad.

The only requirements for something to be Si are:
    It must be a system.
    It must be something that can be personally manipulated.

Any system that fills those two requirements is Si.

It's possible to do your taxes, to program computers, to win maths competitions, to argue in a court of law, to make accurate budget plans and quite a lot of other things based on Si.

Si has certain advantages and certain problems in these issues, but I suggest you first start by trying to understand what it really is before you go that far.
    This very excellent description of Ti is going turn the SEE who started this thread against Si even further.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95
    disagree with smilex on this one almost completely. i think understanding Si as private sensations make the most sense even given internal, external and all the rest.

also i disagree with others that Si is necessarily about bodily care (say, in a sense of longevity). consider how many ISp's in the type databases are rather out of shape. i know many older ISp's who have diabetes and heart disease. i think Si cares for the body in so far as it produces positive private sensations. with Te base especially this may consider the long-run and encourage physical fitness (a necessary part of longevity) to this end, but not necessarily. Si's some other times may be short-sighted gluttons.

i don't think any one function necessarily corresponds to longevity. i think compensating for an Si POLR might end up promoting it equally as much as or more than Si base even in some cases.
    Yeah i agree with this... I know many an ISTp who never work out and eat crap all day because they like how it tastes or feels

on the other hand a lot of the ENFj's and ENTj's that I know are usually pretty health conscious... however this could be a vanity issue...
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as Si types are comfortable in their messiness or cleanliness, they're also comfortable in the healthiness or unhealthiness of their lifestyles.

Creepy-bg

we're just all 'round comfortable I guess

Have you hugged your Si today?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    we're just all 'round comfortable I guess
    Exactly. For Si dominants that is.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom

What's the purpose of life if you just go to work, go to sleep, and wake up and go to work again every day day in and day out forever.

yeah, i think we need to expand our understanding of Si. Si drives things like a beautifully decorated room, a wonderfully prepared meal, an aromatic scent, exquisite music, all to create a mood of comfort and relaxation. business realizes the benefit of focusing on this....when retail stores pay attention to this, people stay in the store longer and buy more.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si is as important as any of the other information elements. Of course, that's an objective perspective... I obviously personally prefer Ni/Se to Ne/Si.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom

yeah, i think we need to expand our understanding of Si. Si drives things like a beautifully decorated room, a wonderfully prepared meal, an aromatic scent, exquisite music, all to create a mood of comfort and relaxation. business realizes the benefit of focusing on this....when retail stores pay attention to this, people stay in the store longer and buy more.
    we used to call that 'fluff' at Michaels and it honestly does make a pretty noticable difference in sales when it's done right. Just moving an endcap of scented candles to the front of store you notice the difference.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Si drives things like a beautifully decorated room, a wonderfully prepared meal, an aromatic scent, exquisite music, all to create a mood of comfort and relaxation. business realizes the benefit of focusing on this....when retail stores pay attention to this, people stay in the store longer and buy more.
    Actually it makes me want to leave the store earlier This sort of thing annoys me.

On the other hand -- I still remember when I was in a bookshop in central London, on the evening of a 31st December. Just before closing, they offered a glass of red wine to everyone present. That didn't annoy me at all, I found it very nice and pleasant (and not just because I like wine). Not sure how to explain it through functions, though. Some sort of Ni and Fi combination?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti can not personally manipulate the constructs it tries to. If it could, it would receive more feedback and be able to correct itself easily. Ti says how things have to work. Si just observes the same thing through experience. And none of you people still have any understanding over Si. This does not mean that people always use Si for the things I mentioned before, but it can be done. It's just faulty to claim things like Ni = mathematics or Ti = mathematics or Fi = people. Anyway, you people are not my responsibility, so please, go ahead, believe whatever you want.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like a strawman to me. i think "Si = private sensations" lines up pretty well with many generalized dichotomies where as "Ni = mathematics" is kind of out of left-field, no apparent relationship to anything jungian that i can tell.
    There are people here who say Ni = mathematics. People say much worse stuff than that. But you are correct. Si is very much "private sensations", but private concrete, direct sensations as opposed to Ni which is heavily abstract and little influenced by details. Thing is, private sensations can extend far beyond personal hygiene and carpentry. And the suggestion that Si = personal health or something like that, that doesn't even cover carpentry.

your call but personally i hope you reconsider telling us off with this argument as frequently as you have been. and not just for any of my own arguments' sake. i think a lot of your work in Articles is quality stuff and it'd be a shame to see people turn away from this bulk of it because you've assassinated your own credibility with how you handle occasional disagreements elsewhere.
    Thanks. Appreciate that. I'd like you and everyone to note, that if I would be trying to change what you people feel, there are strategies that I could use to push you into accepting what I say that are far better than what I'm doing. Those strategies would be Se. Now as I don't care whether you believe me or not, I have no desire to manipulate anything else but my own personal space and sensorics, what happens to me myself and I, I'm using Si, and I'm doing something that gives me immediate gratification with little concern for the future.

Anyway... I can understand it easily that when I tell someone off, that will not make me popular. But ask yourself this, no matter how nasty I am, does that change the truthfulness of anything I say? It's your duty to pick the correct argument, not mine to make it palatable to you. Not being nice has nothing to do with credibility. Besides, I'm still helping you here, that's still nice, isn't it?

I can see a lot of reasons why someone would not find me credible. I'm even doing a lot of it on purpose. I have no desire to become some great teacher figure or some object of reverence. I value my peace. The things I've written that people happen to value are much theirs to guard as mine. Reputation is fleeting. Truth lasts.
    But thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast