Thread: What does it mean to be Beta for you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I'm not beta. I mean, I am IEI, but not beta. At least none of the physical aspects of being beta. But I could be beta if it carried no links to reality or it described me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still trying to figure out quadra stuff so I don't have a good answer to this question.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all of beta can be described in the following sequence of equations:

Consider the recurrence relation
    x_n==(1+x_0^2+x_1^2+...+x_(n-1)^2)/n,
    (1)

with x_0==1. The first few iterates of x_n are 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 28, 154, ... (Sloane's A003504). The terms grow extremely rapidly, but are given by the asymptotic formula
    x_n approx (n+2-n^(-1)+4n^(-2)-21n^(-3)+138n^(-4)-1091n^(-5)+...)C^(2^n)
    (2)

(Sloane's A116603; correcting Finch 2003, p. 446), where
    C==1.04783144757641122955990946274313755459...
    (3)

(Sloane's A115632; Finch 2003, p. 446; Zagier). It is more convenient to work with the transformed sequence
    s_n==2+x_1^2+x_2^2+...+x_(n-1)^2==nx_n,
    (4)

which gives the new recurrence
    s_(n+1)==s_n+(s_n^2)/(n^2)
    (5)

with initial condition s_1==2. Now, s_(n+1) will be nonintegral iff n∤s_n. The smallest p for which s_p≢0 (mod p) therefore gives the smallest nonintegral s_(p+1). In addition, since p∤s_p, x_p==s_p/p is also the smallest nonintegral x_p.

For example, we have the sequences {s_n (mod k)}_(n==1)^k:
    2,6=2,5/4=0,0,0 (mod 5)
    (6)
    2,6,15=1,5/4=0,0,0,0 (mod 7)
    (7)
    2,6,15=4,(52)/9=7,(161)/(16)=8,(264)/5=0,0,...,0 (mod 11).
    (8)

Testing values of k shows that the first nonintegral x_n is x_(43). Note that a direct verification of this fact is impossible since
    x_(43) approx 5.4093x10^(178485291567)
    (9)

(calculated using the asymptotic formula) is much too large to be computed and stored explicitly.

A sequence even more striking for assuming integer values only for finitely many terms is the 3-Göbel sequence
    x_n==(1+x_0^3+x_1^3+...+x_(n-1)^3)/n.
    (10)

The first few terms of this sequence are 1, 2, 5, 45, 22815, ... (Sloane's A005166).

The Göbel sequences can be generalized to k powers by
    x_n==(1+x_0^k+x_1^k+...+x_(n-1)^k)/n.
    (11)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means that I feel very unconstrained when people are just taking it easy, making sarcastic jokes and nudging me for fun or saying how things really are and just being happy and honest. I have to admit that beta interactions aren't perfect either. I tend to get into fights about ethics with INFps and get distressed about power issues with ESTps, but when I'm with any beta, I still feel like I have more energy than with people of other quadras. Oh damn ESTps for always rubbing it in when they win! I'd still rather fight with an ESTp than stay in quiet disapproval limbo with an INXj who is too stifled to say what's really on her mind. I'd rather pick on each other with an ISTj than be in pleasant careful and polite conversation with an ENFp. That's what being beta is all about.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    It means that I feel very unconstrained when people are just taking it easy, making sarcastic jokes and nudging me for fun or saying how things really are and just being happy and honest. I have to admit that beta interactions aren't perfect either. I tend to get into fights about ethics with INFps and get distressed about power issues with ESTps, but when I'm with any beta, I still feel like I have more energy than with people of other quadras. Oh damn ESTps for always rubbing it in when they win! I'd still rather fight with an ESTp than stay in quiet disapproval limbo with an INXj who is too stifled to say what's really on her mind. I'd rather pick on each other with an ISTj than be in pleasant careful and polite conversation with an ENFp. That's what being beta is all about.
    Hear hear! *Clinks glasses with Betazoids all around*

Personally, when I think of Beta, the one word that springs to mind (my favourite word) is PASSION. That's all I really have to say on the subject.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe intensity. I was talking to an INFp friend of mine this weekend. She's married to an ISTj and she said that their marriage can have some intense moments (and not always in a good way)--more like disagreements. Still, I enjoy being around them both very much.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means that I have a passionate desire to deeply crave things.
    LSI

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSpirit
    It means that I have a passionate desire to deeply crave things.
    reading this gives me a passionate desire to lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially it meant this:

I came to the board for the first time and saw the INFp letters underneath Beta and so posted my first post in Beta. Probably very aristocratic of me...It's like automatically peeing in the girls bathroom instead of the boys. It's a designated space...thaaat...according to some of my characteristics, I'm likely to identify with...kind of thing. It's not as comfortable to pee in a urinal...though I don't know this for sure.

Basically, I tend to look for places/people that naturally/easily go with what I seek/need. Beta as a concept/reality, represents/fulfills that need.

Identifying with beta (on the board and IRL), is about a few things. I get to listen to identicals muse over similar phenomenon and go...wohh. I also get to experience that rush of feeling that comes from dual interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    It means that I feel very unconstrained when people are just taking it easy, making sarcastic jokes and nudging me for fun Razz or saying hoIw things really are and just being happy and honest. I have to admit that beta interactions aren't perfect either. I tend to get into fights about ethics with INFps and get distressed about power issues with ESTps, but when I'm with any beta, I still feel like I have more energy than with people of other quadras. Oh damn ESTps for always rubbing it in when they win! Smile I'd still rather fight with an ESTp than stay in quiet disapproval limbo with an INXj who is too stifled to say what's really on her mind. I'd rather pick on each other with an ISTj than be in pleasant careful and polite conversation with an ENFp. Smile That's what being beta is all about.
    Right. The times I've worked together with the other dual pair to figure things out and create plans of action....activated the momentum/fun in me. So, like Kri, beta represents those ISTj/ESTp/ENFj gatherings that left me feeling excited about events and my situation.

The tricky thing is, I've had similar experiences in intraquadra gatherings.

It seeeeems (I hope I'm wrong) the following has been sloppily attached to beta....Beta doesn’t mean aggressiveness/ loudness/crassness/ fakeness/ frathouseness/jockness/bullying..ness. I get the sense that some people on this board have indeed made this gross association to beta.

Maybe my cultural values/upbringing supercede these supposed beta values. Or maybe these values were attached to beta by observers who themselves are led by...some...meek conservatism etc., and so, end up perceiving something threatening in some examples of betan behavior. I’ve witnessed ISFj’s and ENTj’s show nasty aggression and caddy/frathouse behavior (completely disregarding others' feelings). So do I then go and think…Gamma has these aggressive, bullying values. No. I do hope I'm wrong and these things aren't being attached to quadra values.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Did you relate to some stuff?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love being around other betas because my actions seem to be justified. they suddenly have aim. it's like i acquire some sort of indestructible armour especially when i'm with laughing ENFj's. INFp's churn mellow out of me and it's okay: i don't feel weakened by it. it's like a calm wave than envelops me making me feel important. with ISTj's there is a nasty competition which would frighten the weak of heart. but it's understood between us, it galvanises us, puts us above the rest. with betas, it's like the whole atmosphere reaches the highest point. it's like being the member of a wolfpack and everybody wants to join!
    IEI - the nasty kind...