Thread: a hardcore programmer

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default a hardcore programmer

He's a car mechanic and programs the cars.

He loves programming. And is a trouble shooter at work.

He claims he's an INFP in MBTI. How big is the possibility that he's truly an INFP ?

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I *really* do not think that's enough information to type anyone off of. I'm not going to stereotype types on programming, troubleshooting, and auto maintenance. No offense, but that's how I feel about that.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right.

I hoped for a hint or something which started with "probable"

It's difficult indeed.

But maybe someone knows a hardcore programmer who is INFP. Then I know it is plausible.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you doubt that it is plausible??? Why?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are such idealists. They rather work with people.

Oke and if they were programmers, they probably wouldn't be programming until late in the night for fun.

Just guessing a bit...

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possible ISTp, as a car is an application of a concept, in this case programming. of course, we can't stereotype, but my guess 9 times out of 10 for that description is IxTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my INTP friend is obsessed with programming, he gets really into it, not really down to earth enough to mess around with cars that I've seen, he has enough trouble remembering to eat, let alone have the attention span to fix a car.

I have an ISTP friend who's a mechanical engineer though, and they do some programming work. I'd say between the two ISTP is more likely than INTP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm INFp and study computer science, so it's not impossible I find myself not that good at coming up with an initial design of something. I waste too much time on making it lean and mean instead of going with what's already useful. I'm much better at improving what already exists, make stuff work that doesn't work very well yet, find obscure bugs, that sort of stuff. I also noticed I spent way more time on helping other people with a problem they have, than working on my own stuff, so being a trouble-shooter makes sense to me, and actually it is people oriented.

I'm not really into cars though, don't have a driver's license, don't need one (I think ). But if I ever end up in industry I always pictured myself working on medical devices, aeroplanes, satellites,... Generally I'm focused on getting stuff working reliably. I want devices to be useful and easy to use for people, so they don't get frustrated or so they can feel safe or comfortable or whatever it is that makes them feel better depending on what the device is for. Lol, is that idealist NF enough for ya? I exaggerated it all a bit I'm afraid, but generally I like working with computers and like getting computers make our lifes easier.

Hmm, actually, now I think about it, working on the software for a formula one car or something would be kinda cool too

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hmm. It's possible.

I know a few people (granted they are probably rare) that can do physical hands-on things well yet still be soft-spoken and romantic. If he's truly INFp, he will have a certain INFp 'softness' to him regardless IMNSHO.

My best friend, she's VERY fit and physically active, but she has this softest, lightest, magical touch. It's awesome! You can have a rough manly touch and still be awkward at those things. I think both types are social outcasts one way or another. ((my friend calls herself an 'enigma' proudly))

The best athlete I know, has a stereotypically 'gay' vibe to him.... because his inner soul is very calm like a soft, warm fire- yet he can somehow find the energy to wtfpwn everybody out in the field.

In socionics it's supposed to be how you do things, or something, not what you do- and while a car mechanic and INFp might not line up in your head, I'm sure they all can't be whimsical, pansy poets. At least, an INFp car mechanic makes a lot more sense than an INFj one, imo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loki's right, not enough info, does not compute. If I had to guess tho, it might be more INTp/ISTp than INFp.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: a hardcore programmer

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    He claims he's an INFP in MBTI. How big is the possibility that he's truly an INFP ?
    Somewhere around 50 %.

If he has taken a licensed test, the likelihood is probably somewhere around 75 % that he is really an INFp/INFP, but I don't know whether that is the case, so I have to estimate the chances lower than that. His skills and interests make it even less probable that he really is an INFp. But the most important fact is that he actually claims to be an INFP. That single fact makes ISTp a much less probable type than INFp.

A much more likely type than ISTp is of course INTp, and that is the second most likely type based on the very little information you have provided. But INTp is still not a more probable type than INFp, because if we don't know much else than that the person probably identifies with a certain type profile, then the type he claims to be is the most likely of the 16 types, even if only by a slight margin.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oke thanks for the respons all.

this was helpfull.

I guess INFP is very plausible now.