Thread: Mistypings due to confusing hidden agenda for leading function

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mistypings due to confusing hidden agenda for leading function

How common is it to mistype yourself because of the hidden agenda function? It seems that traits related to the hidden agenda are often recognised as a skill or something, and so people tend to put it as their leading function and emphasise aspects of it when describing themselves. I got bitten by this myself thinking I was Ti leading, when it now fits a whole lot better as HA. But I also noticed a common topic around here is ESTp versus ENTj. If HA does screw up one's selfimage wouldn't ENTj be far more likely then?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mistyping due to hidden agenda

Quote Originally Posted by mm
    I got bitten by this myself thinking I was Ti leading, when it now fits a whole lot better as HA.
    Same here.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's a general issue with the hidden agenda as such.

For instance, I don't think there are many cases of ENTps mistyping themselves as ENFjs or ESFjs, or INTjs mistyping themselves as ISTps or ISFps. Or INTps mistyping themselves as INFjs or ISFjs.

The most common cases seem to be indeed of INFps thinking they are logical types, and ESTps thinking they are ENTjs or perhaps even ESTjs.

In my opinion, this is due to a common social bias for being logical or intuitive, and due to people often taking their base function for granted - the "isn't everyone like that" story.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I don't think it's a general issue with the hidden agenda as such.

For instance, I don't think there are many cases of ENTps mistyping themselves as ENFjs or ESFjs, or INTjs mistyping themselves as ISTps or ISFps. Or INTps mistyping themselves as INFjs or ISFjs.

The most common cases seem to be indeed of INFps thinking they are logical types, and ESTps thinking they are ENTjs or perhaps even ESTjs.

In my opinion, this is due to a common social bias for being logical or intuitive, and due to people often taking their base function for granted - the "isn't everyone like that" story.
    but there are a few cases here of infps being told they must be a logical type
    and once at least an enfp (rick) being told he must be a logical type.

While there are doubts that an ENTp will mistype themselves as an ISFp, or an ENTj as an ESFp, etc...
    I think that quite often on this forum (and likely in real life as well) people will mistake someone's HA as being an ego function. As, once again, seen in the examples of some of the infps on this forum regarding their Ti HA.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who'd WANT to be an ISTp??

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    Who'd WANT to be an ISTp??
    What has got you in this state, o winged one?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, I dunno. It just seems like whenever anyone talks about ISTp's, they pretty much only talk about us being simple (boring) and very unexpressive, when that's totally not true for me. That and I feel like I got a raw deal when I look at my profile and half of em mention me being a mechanic, when I have NO interest in mechanics. Haha. Ah well.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. That is very understandable. :wink:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although the one cool thing we got going for us (and this applies to me) is that I have the fucking hardest time coming up with ideas (to almost anything, really), but when someone hands me and idea and tells me "Go do it", I usually have put it together no matter what it was.

Unless it's some sort of perpetual energy machine. Then you're on your fucking own.

Edit: But thanks for listening

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    but there are a few cases here of infps being told they must be a logical type
    and once at least an enfp (rick) being told he must be a logical type.
    Well, I think you exaggerate a bit the story with Rick; to my recollection, it lasted just a little while when he first joined the forum; moreover, both online and in person, Rick tends to adopt a, shall we say, "business" personality at first, before the ENFp shows through.

But you're talking of mistypings by others here, less than mistypings of oneself.

I do think, though, that a lot of people exaggerate way too much the influence and visibility of the hidden agenda, also theoretically.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    But you're talking of mistypings by others here, less than mistypings of oneself.
    oops, i went back and read the original post and saw that mm was focusing on self-mistypings.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, maybe I'm being too harsh on my good old Se. Clearly it's a part of me, whether I like it or not. I clearly have an intuitive understanding of group dynamics and power distribution in groups. It's there. I don't identify with the Se in MBTT AT ALL (up yours Phaedrus) because it's all about experience, taking in things through your five senses and just living etc. - there is NO emphasis on power or organisation of people, which is what I am good with, and which socionics emphasises most. Basically, ESTP is the epitome of 7w8. I'm not interested in that though. MBTT ExTJ is clear for me (I think I could be either ESTJ or ENTJ now). In socionics, the Se in the ENTJ of MBTT is transferred across to the SLE. It is more evident in ENTJ and SLE than LIE and ESTP.