Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Playing Devil's Advocate - certain types prone to this?

  1. #1
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Playing Devil's Advocate - certain types prone to this?

    A negativist, right?


    ILI may be the typical favorite, but I could see LII somewhat, and perhaps the delta STs if they care about a matter. What do you think?


    I ask because I find myself playing that role a bit a lot lately.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  2. #2
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you think about this:

    - an ILI would be most critical of emotional high situations that are obtrusive to facts or cold logic (Fe polr)
    - an LSE would be most critical of vague or unplanned out situations that may lead to poor execution (Ni polr)


    Almost like they would be especially prone to attacking weak areas that their polr embody.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  3. #3
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to play devil's advocate all the time. Usually just for fun, for the sake of pushing the other person further in their thought process and get them to hash out their idea. My husband hates it when I do this because he takes it personally and feels like I am refusing to agree with him out of stubbornness or something. I don't do it much anymore.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  4. #4
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    What do you think about this:

    - an ILI would be most critical of emotional high situations that are obtrusive to facts or cold logic (Fe polr)
    - an LSE would be most critical of vague or unplanned out situations that may lead to poor execution (Ni polr)
    Well, for what's worth, I am very critical of both of those things. Also, my mom used to tell me as a kid just how much (she thinks) I enjoy playing devil's advocate with people. So, yeah, I'm prone.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  5. #5
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I play devil's advocate quite frequently.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No... ENTps do that.

  7. #7
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love playing Devil's Advocate - I can make people lose the will to live.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  8. #8
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ILI, to uncover the truth

  9. #9
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    I love playing Devil's Advocate - I can make people lose the will to live.
    You don't have to play Devil's Advocate to make ME lose the will to live. Just keep using those psychotic avatars and I'll get there eventually.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  10. #10
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    I love playing Devil's Advocate - I can make people lose the will to live.
    You don't have to play Devil's Advocate to make ME lose the will to live. Just keep using those psychotic avatars and I'll get there eventually.
    I'm sorry to hear that - I wish there was an easy solution to this problem.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  11. #11
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree. Your avatars are freakish. Except for the one before this one. Though PPOD's are possibly worse.

  12. #12
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fine, I'll change it.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  13. #13
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    oh yes, that is a definite improvement.

  14. #14
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    oh yes, that is a definite improvement.
    It is better actually. WAY better than that other one with the cloak. Three avatars ago, I think.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  15. #15
    BLauritson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think now and again I might play devil's advocate, but only if I'm interested in exploring a subject in discussion; I don't ever do it just for the sake of arguing.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

    "IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

    Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

  16. #16
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Playing Devil's Advocate is my favorite thing in the entire world. If someone would sit in front of me and make questionable assertions all day, I would be the happiest person to ever have walked the planet Earth.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That is insane.

  18. #18
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,938
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birds
    That is insane.
    No, this is insane:


  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    //This program does nothing.

    import java.util.*; /*This imports the java utility class. It does nothing in this program. */

    public class do_nothing { //This is the class do_nothing. It does nothing.

    public static void main(String[] woo_a_cheeseburger) { /*This is the main method. It does nothing. */

    } /* This is the closing bracket of the main method. As you can see there are no commands in the main method. */

    } /* This is the closing bracket of the class do_nothing. As you can see the class has no commands. */

    //This concludes the program.

  20. #20
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ENTps seem to like to do that very much. They love to argue and will often take whatever side is likely to get them into an argument.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  21. #21
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    ENTps...will often take whatever side is likely to get them into an argument.
    Ehhhh...that might be a stretch.

  22. #22
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't do it, and I hate when other people do it, because I always assume they're being serious.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  23. #23
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Courage
    What do you think about this:

    - an ILI would be most critical of emotional high situations that are obtrusive to facts or cold logic (Fe polr)
    - an LSE would be most critical of vague or unplanned out situations that may lead to poor execution (Ni polr)


    Almost like they would be especially prone to attacking weak areas that their polr embody.
    Could be, but I doubt it. It's counterintuitive for a person to play devil's advocate in response to a POLr attack. To play devil's advocate well, a person must be able to explore an entire problem without bias, turning ideas upsidedown, shifting frameworks, seeming to hold onto one idea but then throwing it aside to present another.

    Qualities of an effective arguer:

    -has intuitive vision/scope of entire problem
    -sees various parts of a problem - how they work separately and together
    -able to move around various parts of a problem while predicting the effect on the whole (or the new set of answers which emerge each time)
    -good memory, not necessarily of specific facts, but of the general direction/impact of thought processes (to bring back previous points) in argument
    - tendency towards detachment / emotional restraint. NOT PERSONALLY INVESTED IN THE ISSUE AT HAND OR CAN VERY EASILY TOSS ONES PERSONAL INVESTMENT OUT IN FAVOR OF THE LARGER INVESTMENT, which generally involves the ongoing search for a "truer" truth. (this is the reason i'd question that a person would be most likely to play devil's advocate in response to a POLr attack).
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  24. #24
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you plan on playing Devil's Advocate, never preface any of your statements with "Now if you do not mind me playing Devil's Advocate here..." If you want to play Devil's Advocate and yet you throw up the "Playing Devil's Advocate" disclaimer, no one is going to take your advocation seriously. Your advocation will be ignored and it will be dismissed. So if you want to advocate for the Devil, you are going to have to go into the conversation by letting people think that this is what you believe, that you are right, and that you can and will argue for it.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    INFPs seem to do it often.

    Personally I find it slightly annoying.
    Say what you mean, and mean what you say - and it is possible to actually discover something new.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  26. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer
    I don't think you realize that when people make statements that they themselves assume are factual... just because it really ticks some of us off.

    I find that the biggest reason I argue a lot is to open people's minds. I cannot stand when I hear a one-sided, ignorant, conversation about something the person knows nothing about. So I will most likely go against everything they believe in just so they can realize there are other views in the world that may be different from their own. I often do not agree with some of the points I make but they are just statements to back up my greater point.
    @#$%!!!!

    For example:
    Just a few days ago a friend of a friend was discussing religions. She mentioned that it was ridiculous to follow any other religion other than Christianity because it was the only one that "made sense." She used Buddhism to make her point. She said something like "How could he have possibly sat underneath a tree for 49 days? That's so stupid!"
    I honestly didn't care that she thought Buddhism was stupid, but for some reason I felt like defending it. I told her that the Bible was a fictional story and that she was being silly for believing some of its content. She shouted blasphemy and left.
    To everything there is a season,
    a time for every purpose under the sun.
    A time to be born and a time to die;
    a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
    a time to kill and a time to heal ...
    a time to weep and a time to laugh;
    a time to mourn and a time to dance ...
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing;
    a time to lose and a time to seek;
    a time to rend and a time to sew;
    a time to keep silent and a time to speak;
    a time to love and a time to hate;
    a time for war and a time for peace.



    PS I have read that sometimes ESFJs feel obliged to cook up an answer even when they do not really have anything to say. :wink:
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •