Thread: Supervision in a Class Setting

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Supervision in a Class Setting...

I just realised that my creative writing seminar professor is my supervisor. This is a pretty small class (only 11 students), and we are pretty much required to speak and comment on each other's writing and be rather vocal in class. It's very important that I do well in this particular course, but already I'm getting the "dissaproving" vibe from the teacher. I choke up when it comes time to speak and get self-conscious. I'm usually pretty coherent and can talk my ass off in class, but in this guy's presence I feel like a complete dunce. What's more, the guy comes across as a control freak. He seems to feel the need to completely dominate the discussion instead of guiding it along, which makes things all the more intimidating. How do I survive the semester?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is that perceived disapproval directed at your writing or your comments? And how exactly does he dominate discussion?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretend to be his dual and pretend that his "help" is well apprechiated. Stay there after class one time and ask for even more Te "help".
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an INTj tutor for my last philosophy class. I felt he supervised me a little.

He would not sugar coat berating me when i was wrong at all lol. I said once "you cant really touch a qualia" and he said "no your wrong you can". I understood immediately what he meant but i was like eeehh...

That being said he says hi to me if he see's me around and he actually marked my essays and worksheets quite reasonably, so its probablly not as bad as you think. While i had no Ti i did have Ne for him to relate to. Perhaps he can relate to your Ni.

Do you best. When i see my supervisee doing something well i have respect and give them credit.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah what meatburger said. with a supervisor the best thing to do is join on your lead and their second function. when their zapping you with their lead (your polr) just don't say anything and smile.

i've said this before though and i'll say it again: when an asymmetrical relationship is further reinforced by a social power imbalance, then it almost never works out well for the supervisee. you are defenseless. best you can do is minimize the pain and consequences.

lucky for you though you are in an academic setting...if you do the work and do it well, he really can't mess with you too much. academia, for students is much less based on perception than it is on performance. at work, perception is a much larger factor. so this leaves you in an ok position, really.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b nice to your supervisees

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all. It's really all just irrational treditation on my part. Bad experiences with this type in the past have left me a little shell-shocked. There really is a lot I can learn from the guy (he's an amazing writer), so long as I keep my mouth shut and learn to listen to his points for what they are. All I can really do is make sure my writing is decent and plan out my comments ahead of time to make sure I have something worth saying instead of swimming around for points like I have been up to this point.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever he gives you trouble, attack his PoLR by telling him when you got shot you could hear the bullet ricochet off the bone.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Thanks all. It's really all just irrational treditation on my part. Bad experiences with this type in the past have left me a little shell-shocked. There really is a lot I can learn from the guy (he's an amazing writer), so long as I keep my mouth shut and learn to listen to his points for what they are. All I can really do is make sure my writing is decent and plan out my comments ahead of time to make sure I have something worth saying instead of swimming around for points like I have been up to this point.
    yeah, i was thinking of mentioning this. you talk about being nervous and tongue-tied. this is probably the worst thing you can do. i don't guess you want to take the drink a 5th of jagermeister approach to public speaking, but if there's anything you can do to quell your anxiety and control it, i bet it would help you feel more on the same page as this guy.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    Whenever he gives you trouble, attack his PoLR by telling him when you got shot you could hear the bullet ricochet off the bone.
    wouldn't that kind of "bounce off" someone if they had a Si-PoLR?

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    yeah, i was thinking of mentioning this. you talk about being nervous and tongue-tied. this is probably the worst thing you can do. i don't guess you want to take the drink a 5th of jagermeister approach to public speaking, but if there's anything you can do to quell your anxiety and control it, i bet it would help you feel more on the same page as this guy.
    heh, I actually considered both booze and pot beforehand, but decided against it. I think you're right.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If it doesn't get better, talk to him. Teachers LOVE that. :wink:
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, will do.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    i've said this before though and i'll say it again: when an asymmetrical relationship is further reinforced by a social power imbalance, then it almost never works out well for the supervisee. you are defenseless. best you can do is minimize the pain and consequences.
    Yeah i agree!. In this case it wasn't as bad for me as for Baby. He was after all just my tutor. Plus he wasn't particularly charming to his class. There would always be awkward silences which i would tend to help to fill. I also had a number of friends in my class so on a social level i actually had some degree of power.

I think your supervisor doesn't really see you as stupid (maybe im wrong lol). They just tend to disagree with some of the things that you say. I find supervisors often quite like their supervisees but perhaps the relationship is soured because the supervisee gets hurt and acts strangely towards them. When an INTj spanks my POLR i just try to let it ride

I even think some supervisors quite enjoy the relation. I reckon Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie is a supervisor relation and i think Angelina has him by the short and Curlies.

ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When i hit my supervisee (metaphorically) i can read it in their expressions shortly after its been hit.. then i get quiet and let the ENFp say whetever he or she wants to make the hit settle down and go away. I simply withdraw so as not to contribute to further disrupting of the relations. But i am annoyed. BTW i didn't really have problems with the ENFp at work, the conflicts were mostly with talks about non work related stuff. I don't think I've ever had an ESTp teacher or authority figure. My close friend's husband is an ESTp i think. I do feel this unexplained desire to please him though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Yeah i agree!. In this case it wasn't as bad for me as for Baby. He was after all just my tutor. Plus he wasn't particularly charming to his class. There would always be awkward silences which i would tend to help to fill. I also had a number of friends in my class so on a social level i actually had some degree of power.

I think your supervisor doesn't really see you as stupid (maybe im wrong lol). They just tend to disagree with some of the things that you say. I find supervisors often quite like their supervisees but perhaps the relationship is soured because the supervisee gets hurt and acts strangely towards them. When an INTj spanks my POLR i just try to let it ride

I even think some supervisors quite enjoy the relation. I reckon Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie is a supervisor relation and i think Angelina has him by the short and Curlies.

the short and curlies, eh? LOL that expression is hilarious...

yeah if you can get the group vibe going you kind of bring things into a more equitable balance for sure. this is the same way victims and terrorists work actually. get the group going against the aggressor/power source.

i know that i tend to really like both my supervisors and supervisees as friends. probably because they are introverted so it's natural for me to take the initiative with them. with an infj, we join on the Ne and have great talks. with istj's we join on the Ti and have great talks.

no but what i meant was when your socionics supervisor is your work supervisor also....without the influence of a friend environment, you can do no right in their eyes, that's all. what happened at a work experience i had, i was a director and my supervisor was offsite, so there was no opportunity to get the group going so there we have it. it happened to another person i know, too. they were a director, their supervisor was their socionics supervisor and was off-site, so there was no opportunity for getting the group dynamic going. he ended up eventually getting fired.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often