Thread: What kinds of music do INT- types listen to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What kinds of music do INT- types listen to?

I'm an INTJ. I feel that my personality steers my musical preferences.

As I am typing this, I am listening to an Enya album. I think that she is an introvert's musician.

I am embarassed to admit it, but I actually enjoy Yanni and Kitaro.
    Ask most people, and they will say that these artists are like the guys who make elevator music.

I also enjoy classical chamber music. And twentieth-century symphonies.

But what is puzzling is my fascination with "Pink Floyd" and "U2" and other rockers. Floyd makes a little sense, but not the others.

I refuse to listen to (most) rap music as well as most (other than the classics, like Cash) country. IMO, rap is like polka, too silly to take seriously. And a lot of country is just plain hokey.

What types of music fit you as an INT~?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm..from my observations they prefer more serious sounding tunes
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mind in a Box - industrial
    Spirilalianz - progressive/psy /electronic/
    Native Radio - cyberpunk (?) (I call them "The INTj project")
    Hofoku Sochi - IDM (Intelligent Dance Music)
    Atmos - progressive /electronic/

They pick up the more serious sounding tunes, groups, projects from any musical style and they prefer them over the more easy listening tunes. Generally they don't have problems listnening to dry, cold, unemotional and not very melodic music (Native Radio is a brutal example).

edit: OMG it comes that everybody in the list is from .de
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty accurate obsevations , I'll only add that INTx's prefer more subtle melodies instead of too straightforward/screaming/catchy ones, also a track with mystic atmosphere will definitely appeal to INTx's. Tracks with many layers and slow, but massive development are also greatly appreciated, basicly those type of tracks, in which you can always find something new.
    As for nationalities I'd say that german and swedish producers are overwhelmingly superior in producing music for these types.
    Btw I'm talking for electronic music.

Just a few examples:

Antix - Twin Coast Discovery

I think this album is a must have for every INTx (and for everyone, who likes electronic music). The only word, which I can say about it is perfection - everything is crafted with such attention to the smallest details, that it's hard to believe that it's man made music.

X-Dream - Irritant

Now that's an example of "dry, cold, unemotional and not very melodic music"...almost machine's music. I know some people who describe it as "pointless clacking and scratching" the first time when they listened to it...

Creepy-

I have often been called a classical music snob, which I am not going to deny being. I am very picky about the music I listen to... I also like the classic prog bands, e.g. Rush, Yes and the more modern prog bands like Dream Theater et cetera. I like complex music (technical, odd time signature changes, counterpoint things like that), like in Metropolis by Dream Theater. Where John plays a Bsus2 then a couple of octaves then he plays a E5 D5/A Csus2 the time signatures for that little part goes from 6/4 to 5/8 to 6/4 to 10/16(I think that is right) and in another spot(beginning of the Instrumental section) it goes 5/8 to 6/4 to 12/16 to 13/8. I also, as you can see, analyze all the music that I am listening to. Do any other INTjs or INTps do this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like prog rock and jazz; classical's great too if I bother to get into it.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What kinds of music do INT- types listen to?

INTJ

i listen to heavy metal (marylin manson, rob zombie, rammstein, system of a down).

starting trance. listen to rock like peter gabriel, weird al, vanessa mae, some vivaldi.

i'm working on a theory that i listen to music with a certain sound and beat to match the brainwave in my head. the odd thing is, i get used to the music, using up it's value. i change every few months. like i used to get tranced out with trance. now it's just another beat.

Creepy-

classical and some rock...

intj theme song: "Headstrong" by Trapt

Creepy-

intj theme song: "Headstrong" by Trapt
    NO, I hate that song...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"ntj theme song: "Headstrong" by Trapt"

I don't know about that.

People I know call me hard-headed, but I think that song is more about the will power of the individual more than it is about stuborness.

I don't particularly like the song either.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ravel. Maurice Ravel.

I'm a piano concerto junkie. I absolutely love the Prokofiev 2nd (this is more hard-core than any pop or rock song you will ever listen to; the first movement is about suicide), the Ravel 2nd (it has the greatest introduction ever composed, ever), and the light but crystal clear Moszkowski concerto (for when I'm feeling happy.) I'm thinking about entering a concerto competition with the 1st and 2nd of Ravel.

I love ELP, a 70's band who has alot of classical influences. They have a great pianist.

Basically, I like any music that oozes power and that has chords like stacked 5ths and 4ths, sus2/4, and unnamable chords. I use a ninth minus the 3rd and 7th alot in the works I "compose".

Type preferences? Perhaps...but you will always find variances within an individual type.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    yeah german composers rock
    Nah, Russia's the way to go. :wink:
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-

I love ELP, a 70's band who has alot of classical influences. They have a great pianist.

Basically, I like any music that oozes power and that has chords like stacked 5ths and 4ths, sus2/4, and unnamable chords. I use a ninth minus the 3rd and 7th alot in the works I "compose".
    You can name just about any chord it just might look a bit odd. Like a chord that has the notes c f a e b d a#(I am not saying this chord will sound good) could be called a Fmaj13+11/C, Fmaj7add6+11/C, Fmaj7add6b5/C, Bbmaj7+11b9/C, Bbmaj7b9b5/C, E7sus4+11b9/C, E7sus4b9b5/C, E7sus4b13+11b9/C, E7sus4+11b9+5/C I think those are all the possibilities for that chord.
    I use a ninth minus the 3rd and 7th a lot in the works I "compose".
    If a chord lacked a 3rd and 7nt, say you have A E B in the chord, it would be not be an Am9 but an Asus2.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theodosis, are those musical (insert whatever they're called here) things the secret to your location?

Creepy-

Theodosis, are those musical (insert whatever they're called here) things the secret to your location?
    They are called CHORDS, well actually they are all the same chords since I just took 7 random notes and then analyzed all the possible chord names that those notes could correspond to. I have no secret location I live on planet PSR B1257+12-C( I really live in Punta Gorda).

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default strange

i'm INTJ - but i like a broad spectrum of music. it ranges from classical to ethnic, jazz and big band, some pop music, some rock...

my taste in music does have some general rules - i tend to like music that is expressive of something, either a mood or an idea or a feeling, or is fresh in some way. i hate songs that are replicates, without any attempt at the craft at all. i find those extremely irritating, no matter how popular the songs are.

TIM
    enfp (maybe infj)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joegeo2006 View Post
    I'm an INTJ. I feel that my personality steers my musical preferences.

As I am typing this, I am listening to an Enya album. I think that she is an introvert's musician.

I am embarassed to admit it, but I actually enjoy Yanni and Kitaro.
    Ask most people, and they will say that these artists are like the guys who make elevator music.

I also enjoy classical chamber music. And twentieth-century symphonies.

But what is puzzling is my fascination with "Pink Floyd" and "U2" and other rockers. Floyd makes a little sense, but not the others.

I refuse to listen to (most) rap music as well as most (other than the classics, like Cash) country. IMO, rap is like polka, too silly to take seriously. And a lot of country is just plain hokey.

What types of music fit you as an INT~?
    I'm Ne-Intj and thats crazy because listent to all three of the bands you mentioned above. Usually, I don't focus on bands, but on specific songs I like. I am very picky when it comes to music--most country is complete bull to me. Why would someone listen to anything so awful?! My brother is INTp and he is very critical of all music. When he hears a note which is even slightly off he complains about it. We listen to completely diffent stuff--looking at music from an INTx perpective seems pointless to me.

TIM
    LII-Ne H
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“zolo”, new wave, art rock, post-punk, prog, psychedelic rock, ska, avant-garde/experimental, industrial. majority of my taste from the late 70s-early to mid 80s
    “You'll feel safest of all, you can only receive, it'll keep you stable for days in cars.”
    —me as Gary Numan as a therapist

-Ne
    5w4 514 so/sp

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Today some sites as VK have in profiles musics what people liked. It can be names and can be tracks themselves.
    So when you know someone IRL to understand his type or typed by Internet data - then there is also a chance to understand what he likes and people of same type.

Among what I assume and saw, is that aggressive music (metal and close) is more common for some types. All betas, for example, are easier to be noticed as liking such than alpha/delta F types.

LII man I new IRL liked metal (Aria, Yngwie Malmsteen, - examples). In the same time he liked some of primitive pop and other genres.
    He studed to play a little on electro guitar. Music was not serious but meaningful for him, not just "today on radio".
    He also wrote simple FM player for PC. When he've shown the thing, he reported about annoying sound click in the beginning of the app's start (from sound card initiation). I've recommended to switch off card's volume before the initiation and to switch on before music should go - that easy idea has helped. Ti + Te = power