Thread: INFps and attention deficit ADD/ADHD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFps and attention deficit ADD/ADHD

did anyone studied the impact certain psychological conditions have on personality? Or the other way around... how personality plays a role in dealing with certain psychological conditions.

http://www.bobseay.com/littlecorner/

for example... some people say procastination seams to be a trait of the irrationals... (p stands for procastination )

or... "INFp are unable to connect the dots"

certain traits of INFp seam to be descriptions for ADD

What do you think?

Creepy-

Default Re: INFp and ADD/ADHD

fhdkfjhass

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

based on my own experience I would have to disagree... I am an INFp and I diagnosed myself with ADD (did a test, came out positive )
    I don't experience the hyperactivity part at all, however the rest sound very familiar: unable to get organized, easily distracted, chronic underachievement.

I'm thinking that approach to therapy should be "custom made" for each type... for example... structure plays a major role in managing ADD BUT... I think it has to take certain forms for specific personalities... ask perceivers to be organised and you might get at most mixed responses.

In my case organisation meant Post It... I should raise a statue to the guy that invented those. My monitor started looking more like a sunflower but... they got me out of a lot of organisation problems at work.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that xNxps tend to have ADD-like characteristics.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in first grade my school said I had add/hyperactivity disorder.

But I never took any medication or anything. Who knows.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah

The difference between ADD-like traits and ADD is that ADD is a disability. It has to have a serious negative effect on your life in order to be ADD.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, the best way for an adult to know if they have ADD is to look at their life. Has it been tumultious? Have they made poor decsions over and over, such as relationship hopping, quitting jobs after six months, moving around a whole lot, substance abuse, depression, extreme lack of motivation, extreme ups and downs, reckless behavior, poor time management, sleep problems, gambling, conflict seeking behavior, etc.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one that

A. Believes that ADD was caused by TV in our youth.
    -Think about it, Lots of pictures, Lots of subjects, "Channels flipping" There are common lines there that can't be ignored.

B. It dosn't exist and is just a way to categorize a normal behaviour.
    -I mean surely with all the great thinkers we've had before the 19th century if it was back then someone would have noticed and someone would have made a reference to it.

I don't really know, I guess its hard for me to understand when I don't have it. (Although my parents will say otherwise.)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took Ritalin for ADD when I was a kid, for about a year. Then I read my mom's medical book and it had a chapter on ADD, so I told her I wasn't ADD and I wasn't going to take Ritalin anymore(that shit was horrible). She thought something was wrong with me because someone would say something to me and I would usually not comprehend what they had said until after I had said 'What?', so she took me to an ear doctor. I think someone here said something similar in their youth??

I think it's a major blanket 'disorder', and Ritalin is heavily overprescribed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably would not have believed in ADD if I did not have it. However... My life was such a storm before treatment (not that it isn't anymore, but it's SO different!), and I really think that it's something that only those who have ADD or are close to someone who does could understand.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

metaiwan wrote: I think it's a major blanket 'disorder', and Ritalin is heavily overprescribed.

The school wanted to put my ESFp daughter on Ritalin in elementary school. Her doctor was so outraged that he literally went to the school and told them she was a child who was simply in love with life and to quit trying to fit a square peg into a round whole. He told them kids need celebrated for individualism and that the school should not try to stiffle a child's natural enthusiasim. I was so impressed. Never heard a word from the school after that.
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeia
    Am I the only one that

A. Believes that ADD was caused by TV in our youth.
    -Think about it, Lots of pictures, Lots of subjects, "Channels flipping" There are common lines there that can't be ignored.

B. It dosn't exist and is just a way to categorize a normal behaviour.
    -I mean surely with all the great thinkers we've had before the 19th century if it was back then someone would have noticed and someone would have made a reference to it.

I don't really know, I guess its hard for me to understand when I don't have it. (Although my parents will say otherwise.)
    A. I had a childhood that sadly my kids won't be able to taste. With swiming, fishing, climbing trees to eat green non riped fruits, playing on construction yards and so on... TV was only one channel started after 8 PM mostly with our communist leader telling us how good life was.

B. It does exists, just that the disability doesn't manifests itself very visible... people just put labels like lazy or goofy or something like that... and believe that you're joking when you tell them that it might be something wrong. I'm plain tired of how many times I heard the word lazy when I told them about ADD. I do am lazy BUT is not that simple. People with ADD know what I'm talking about... know what it is to FORGET "from the hand to the mouth" as we say here in Romania...

I'm lucky that I have a understanding boss and that I found some coping methods because drugs for treating this are not available here in Romania... I've spoken with doctors in our clinic and they smiled and prescribed vitamins and Tanakan (Ginkgo biloba)

All I'm left with is information, non-drug therapy... and I keep asking and reading when the subject manages to refocus (again ADDers know what FOCUS lost means)

So... does personality plays a role in augmenting some of the problems ADD have, what would be the best therapy approach for an INFp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for gayness.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Transigent! You were brave enough to say what some of us couldn't (or just weren't sure enough to say.)

There is a guy in my English class who is quite intelligent and outspoken, yet he says he has ADD. Completely unfounded, I say.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transigent
    ADD is fake.
    This is a tipical response of a person who doesn't know what ADD is about. ADD is not fake! Believe me! No normal pearson would do some of the things I do... sometimes. Take a few minutes and visit http://www.bobseay.com/littlecorner/

Look at how the site is structured... read a little bit....

I do agree that jumping to medication is wrong BUT I would love to give it a try if it would have been available here in Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    There is a guy in my English class who is quite intelligent and outspoken, yet he says he has ADD. Completely unfounded, I say.
    Most of my colleagues consider me intelligent, ADDers can be very intelligent, actually statistics show inteligence above average... BUT this inteligence is wasted due to the fact that most of the time we cannot focus enough to make it count... Sometimes we hiperfocus... that's when the real work is done... for example the Socionics Software I did took me 2 days.... I started yesterday and today I have a working application this while doing my daily job. I say I have ADD and you might say that my afirmation is unfounded BUT you don't know how it is to go a week or 2 without managing to do what I've done in this 2 days.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know, are all ADDers extroverted? Sure seems that way to me.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Transigent! You were brave enough to say what some of us couldn't (or just weren't sure enough to say.)

Cone, remember your one friend who was in love with your sister who had ADHD? Was he fake? I sure don't think so. He had a real problem and was very hard to deal with. I think he used to define himself by his condition at times. It was like he literally introduced himself as, "Hi, I'm _____. I have ADHD."

Or in all fairness, was it just the hyperactivity that was so annoying and hard to deal with? Maybe so. Hmmmm . . .
    <--- Me pouring out all my love on you!

Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know, are all ADDers extroverted? Sure seems that way to me.
    Take a look at my face... do I look extroverted?
    Maybe introverted people suffer from ADD and the extroverted one from ADHD (bonus of hyperactivity, the restless ones)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But your ADD made you miss my point. I was saying that "Attention Deficit Disorder" isn't really a "Disorder".
    Dictionary.com tells us that disorder could mean:
    3. An ailment that affects the function of mind or body:

well what do you know, this Attention Deficit DOES affects the functions of my mind so... I guess it qualifies as a Disorder.

The Amazing Potential that you speak of remains just an Amazing Potential... but with coping... it could be turned into Amazing Achievements something you'll almost never see in an untreated ADDer and when I say treatment I don't necessary mean amphetamines (Ritalin and friends) but some form of coping, for example a coach can work miracles especially when deadlines are involved.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Art. XII. Sec. XXI.

In the event said child is diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder, the Legal Guardian is thereafter OBLIGATED to obtain treatements such as deemed worthy by the American Psychiatric Association.

In the event that said Legal Guardian does NOT accept treatment, it will be reported to Social Services, and the Child shall be removed under "Lack of Medical Care Justification Art. VI. Sec. XVI."
    I knew it, it's all a scam to make money! :wink: