Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42

Thread: Is this type test accurate?

  1. #1
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is this type test accurate?

    This should help you figure out your type!

    S
    I think more about the here and now, physical reality.

    N
    I think more about abstract ideas or concepts, the future, the past.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    F
    I am people-oriented. I use emotions and feelings to persuade people.

    T
    I am task-oriented. I use facts and logic to persuade people.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.

    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Ixxj, Exxp
    I say what happens at stages A, B and C.

    Ixxp, Exxj
    I say how stage A leads to stage B, and how stage B leads to stage C.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  2. #2
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is this type test accurate?

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    This should help you figure out your type!

    S
    I think more about the here and now, physical reality.

    N
    I think more about abstract ideas or concepts, the future, the past.
    Sounds ok - in theory.


    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    F
    I am people-oriented. I use emotions and feelings to persuade people.

    T
    I am task-oriented. I use facts and logic to persuade people.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok.


    Theoretically it's ok, but I'm not sure if it actually works for self-typing. For instance, I think ISFjs and maybe even INFps might well choose "T". And perhaps several other types.

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.

    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.
    I don't think this will be helpful. Ï think that IPs may well identify with "p"; but not EPs.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    Ixxj, Exxp
    I say what happens at stages A, B and C.

    Ixxp, Exxj
    I say how stage A leads to stage B, and how stage B leads to stage C.
    This looks like good for the static/dynamic distinction, but again, not sure if people will identify with one or the other.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  3. #3
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm INFp and the F/T part... I'm very inclined towards the F.

    the test is very short and sweet... how do you think it could be improved?
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  4. #4
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    I'm INFp and the F/T part... I'm very inclined towards the F.
    Sure, just like other INFps here, but I think some INFps - what might be called Ni subtype - will be more into Ni and Ti than Fe; or, rather, they will use Fe mainly as creative Fe, meaning, they will use Fe and Ti to sort of "analyse" the people around them, to "navigate" among them, in a politically-aware away. This is Ti analysing Fe information, but I think such INFps will see that as using T.


    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    the test is very short and sweet... how do you think it could be improved?
    The only way I can see to improve such tests is to ask the person to elaborate on precisely why they chose the options they did choose.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  5. #5
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Sure, just like other INFps here, but I think some INFps - what might be called Ni subtype - will be more into Ni and Ti than Fe; or, rather, they will use Fe mainly as creative Fe, meaning, they will use Fe and Ti to sort of "analyse" the people around them, to "navigate" among them, in a politically-aware away. This is Ti analysing Fe information, but I think such INFps will see that as using T.
    I see... altho... I think I'm the Ni subvariant and I do indeed use some kind of Ti to figure the Fe input... BUT the question got me at people vs. tasks.. no way I would pay more attention to tasks than people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    The only way I can see to improve such tests is to ask the person to elaborate on precisely why they chose the options they did choose.
    So... no use for self typing...
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  6. #6
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    I see... altho... I think I'm the Ni subvariant and I do indeed use some kind of Ti to figure the Fe input... BUT the question got me at people vs. tasks.. no way I would pay more attention to tasks than people.
    Yes, but you also mentioned the use of logic or emotions to persuade people. I think that's where the catch would be.

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    The only way I can see to improve such tests is to ask the person to elaborate on precisely why they chose the options they did choose.
    So... no use for self typing...
    I think tests are generally unreliable.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Sure, just like other INFps here, but I think some INFps - what might be called Ni subtype - will be more into Ni and Ti than Fe; or, rather, they will use Fe mainly as creative Fe, meaning, they will use Fe and Ti to sort of "analyse" the people around them, to "navigate" among them, in a politically-aware away. This is Ti analysing Fe information, but I think such INFps will see that as using T.
    I see... altho... I think I'm the Ni subvariant and I do indeed use some kind of Ti to figure the Fe input... BUT the question got me at people vs. tasks.. no way I would pay more attention to tasks than people.
    And no way I would use Fe and Ti to navigate among people "in a politically-aware" way (I am an INTp). Expat is deluded on this point, and the fact is that your test is much more reliable, sigma, than Expat's subjective interpretations of which functions people are using in their posts on this forum. What he says here about the Ni subtype of INFp is simply false.

  8. #8
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    And no way I would use Fe and Ti to navigate among people "in a politically-aware" way (I am an INTp). Expat is deluded on this point, and the fact is that your test is much more reliable, sigma, than Expat's subjective interpretations of which functions people are using in their posts on this forum. What he says here about the Ni subtype of INFp is simply false.
    I think I should say... this is not a test by me... only something I found... and really liked due to the short and apparently precise enough nature.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  9. #9
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Isn't this pretty much an MBTI test?
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  10. #10
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Parts of it seem more like socionics, especially the last question, which is about being static or dynamic.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  11. #11
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh, and although I have Phaedrus on ignore, it's difficult to avoid reading what he writes when others quote him. Especially if he follows me around in the forum.

    So I will say that what I said about INFps is totally consistent with my old "boat on the river" metaphor on Ni, with the INFp being concerned with the emotional stance towards him/her of the other people on the boat. It's the same image, which not only INFps but also Phaedrus thought it was correct at the time. So how am I "deluded" now if I describe the same image as then?

    And if that image was correct, but what I said now somehow isn't, perhaps someone can point out precisely where they differ.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    So I will say that what I said about INFps is totally consistent with my old "boat on the river" metaphor on Ni, with the INFp being concerned with the emotional stance towards him/her of the other people on the boat. It's the same image, which not only INFps but also Phaedrus thought it was correct at the time. So how am I "deluded" now if I describe the same image as then?
    The metaphor still holds. But the Ni subtype of INFp is of course fully capable of determining that he or she is an ethical (F) type and not a logical (T) type, based on the criteria for the general differences between logical types and ethical types. Expat is wrong when he states that I am an INFp, and he is wrong about INFps in general when he indirectly states that some of them are too stupid or too confused to be able to determine whether they are a T or an F type.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Isn't this pretty much an MBTI test?
    It's exactly the same. This test is not bad if you want to find your socionic type. It doesn't matter which test you use, you get your socionic type and your MBTT type in the same way. Every single one of the four scales is identical in both models.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Isn't this pretty much an MBTI test?
    It's exactly the same. This test is not bad if you want to find your socionic type. It doesn't matter which test you use, you get your socionic type and your MBTT type in the same way. Every single one of the four scales is identical in both models.
    The j/p here is definately NOT the same as MBTI j/p, according to the tests, which you claim are equal.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  15. #15
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    I'm INFp and the F/T part... I'm very inclined towards the F.
    Sure, just like other INFps here, but I think some INFps - what might be called Ni subtype - will be more into Ni and Ti than Fe; or, rather, they will use Fe mainly as creative Fe, meaning, they will use Fe and Ti to sort of "analyse" the people around them, to "navigate" among them, in a politically-aware away. This is Ti analysing Fe information, but I think such INFps will see that as using T.
    Actually why would an INFp Ni subtype be more into Ti than an INFp Fe subtype? Given that the peak of merry is reached at the peak of Fe, and given that Ti is a merry function, then an INFp Ni has less of a preference for Ti than an INFp Fe and more of a preference for Te.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  16. #16
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    I'm INFp and the F/T part... I'm very inclined towards the F.
    Sure, just like other INFps here, but I think some INFps - what might be called Ni subtype - will be more into Ni and Ti than Fe; or, rather, they will use Fe mainly as creative Fe, meaning, they will use Fe and Ti to sort of "analyse" the people around them, to "navigate" among them, in a politically-aware away. This is Ti analysing Fe information, but I think such INFps will see that as using T.
    Actually why would an INFp Ni subtype be more into Ti than an INFp Fe subtype? Given that the peak of merry is reached at the peak of Fe, and given that Ti is a merry function, then an INFp Ni has less of a preference for Ti than an INFp Fe and more of a preference for Te.
    Anyone have a more in depth explanation of telling an INFp Fe subtype from an Ni one??

    I have always had a penchant for analyzing people and my interactions/relationships to death if they seem important enough. (This can become obsessing if someone is especially difficult to read by Fe alone). I offer the evidence that my bookshelves are loaded with psychology, personality theory and (mostly existentialist) philosophy. I have a driving need to "figure out" people or at the very least note key behavioral traits they express.

    I sometimes think of it in terms of *pinging* others -- if I throw a stone down the well, can I hear the splash?
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Isn't this pretty much an MBTI test?
    It's exactly the same. This test is not bad if you want to find your socionic type. It doesn't matter which test you use, you get your socionic type and your MBTT type in the same way. Every single one of the four scales is identical in both models.
    The j/p here is definately NOT the same as MBTI j/p, according to the tests, which you claim are equal.
    The j/p distinction here is clearly the same distinction as the J/P distinction in MBTT. In both Socionics and MBTT J types try to steer their way through life, planning and holding a more or less steady course. P types are letting life take its own course, flexibly adapting to whatever circumstances the future has in store for them. The J/P dichotomy captures, in its essence, two fundamentally different approaches to life, two "life styles" or "life rhythms". It is the same general difference in both models, and if they disagree on minor details that is totally irrelevant. Keirsey is describing the same difference, Lenore Thomson is describing the same difference, Sergei Ganin is describing the same difference in his articles on his site, Lytov is describing the same difference in his articles, and both the socionic tests and the MBTI tests use the same type of test questions to determine whether a person is a rational (J) type or an irrational (P) type.

    Try to learn this now, will you. It is extremely irritating that people continue to question this very obvious truth.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    Moron.

    What YOU described is very similar to MBTI j/p descriptions, however, it's different from this;


    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.

    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky


    Moron.

    What YOU described is very similar to MBTI j/p descriptions, however, it's different from this;


    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.

    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.
    No, this j/p description is perfectly consistent with MBTT:s explanation for the J/P dichotomy. Totally.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll do this for my own amusement...


    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.


    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    In both Socionics and MBTT J types try to steer their way through life, planning and holding a more or less steady course.
    Is this the same? No.




    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.


    P types are letting life take its own course, flexibly adapting to whatever circumstances the future has in store for them.
    Is this the same? No.




    If you think they are, point it out.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  21. #21
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky


    Moron.

    What YOU described is very similar to MBTI j/p descriptions, however, it's different from this;


    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.

    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.
    Very good point, Rocky.

  22. #22
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought the problem with correlating MBTI J and socionics j is that socionics defines your "rationality" or "irrationality" via your leading function where MBTI defines it via your strongest extroverted function. With extroverts there is not difference but with introverts there is.

    TiNe is rational in socionics because the leading function Ti is rational. But it is irrational in MBTI because the strongest extroverted function is Ne which is irrational. So TiNe is "internally rational" but "externally irrational". NiTe is the opposite i.e "internally irrational" (thus a socionics irrational) but "externally rational" (thus MBTI rational). At least this is what you get if you look at it strictly from the functional point of view.

  23. #23
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is this type test accurate?

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    F
    I am people-oriented. I use emotions and feelings to persuade people.

    T
    I am task-oriented. I use facts and logic to persuade people.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The confusion here for me is that... if I am trying to persuade someone I will use the means that I believe are most effective. There's no point in trying to persuade someone if it's going to fail. If emotions and feelings will work best, that's what I will use. If logic will work best, I will use that. If nothing is likely to work, I may not try at all. I'm not really sure how I know what the best way is... I just do.

    All that aside, I try not to persuade people for the most part... or I'm having issues with the entire idea of "persuasion" or something. In a lot of ways logical persuasion seems more harmless than emotional persuasion. I think I've been looking at persuasion like it's something negative... perhaps I should question whether there are ways in which persuasion is positive. Like I've been thankful at times when others have persuaded me... or sometimes I need to be persuaded. I guess the motives for it are what really matter.

    As for people-oriented vs. task-oriented... I draw a blank. I don't know. I guess underneath it all it's more about people... I mean people are more important than tasks. But...

    Sigh... no T/F description has yet to bring me out of my T/F confusion.

    I like how these descriptions are short and to the point however. Although I still managed to, it's harder to "read things into" them.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The simplest definition is that Ts reason inanimately and Fs reason animately, so if you were one and tried to understand the thought process of the other, you'd realize things go through your head in a different way. That's basically all it means.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.


    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    In both Socionics and MBTT J types try to steer their way through life, planning and holding a more or less steady course.
    Is this the same? No.




    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.


    P types are letting life take its own course, flexibly adapting to whatever circumstances the future has in store for them.
    Is this the same? No.
    As Frank Zappa said in an interview that was once discussed on this forum: You are talking about words here. You are talking about words.

    Try to learn the difference between meaning and reference. I have explained that fundamental logical distinction many, many times on this forum, and I will not do it again.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    I thought the problem with correlating MBTI J and socionics j is that socionics defines your "rationality" or "irrationality" via your leading function where MBTI defines it via your strongest extroverted function. With extroverts there is not difference but with introverts there is.
    That is not a problem at all. It is irrelevant how J or j are defined. It is relevant how they are identified. We identify them via observations. And both models agree perfectly on what the characteristic behaviours are of J/j and P/p respectively. That MBTT happens to base their definitions of J and P on a false theory is totally beside the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    TiNe is rational in socionics because the leading function Ti is rational. But it is irrational in MBTI because the strongest extroverted function is Ne which is irrational. So TiNe is "internally rational" but "externally irrational". NiTe is the opposite i.e "internally irrational" (thus a socionics irrational) but "externally rational" (thus MBTI rational). At least this is what you get if you look at it strictly from the functional point of view.
    Yes, and that's exactly what you should not do here. You should avoid it at all cost, because it is totally irrelevant.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My God you're retarded, even Frank Zappa wouldn't like you referencing him like that.

    The poster in this thread focused on "reasoning", and said the j types for example, use the reason to understand events that happen, and p types prefer not to come up with explaination for why events occured. (A)

    You said J types stick to a single path and P types adapt. (B)

    A=/=B


    Also, you seem to assume that "adapting" to circumstances is "irrational", yet it is often said that "rational people think at the margin", which means that rationality (at least in some people's opinions) is about being flexible.

    It is VERY PLAUSABLE to both keep up at a consistant, unchanging pace in life, AND to dismiss reason in favor of experience. While at the same time one could use reason to understand events while simultaneously adapting to said events.

    You fail again.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is this type test accurate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    F
    I am people-oriented. I use emotions and feelings to persuade people.

    T
    I am task-oriented. I use facts and logic to persuade people.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The confusion here for me is that... if I am trying to persuade someone I will use the means that I believe are most effective. There's no point in trying to persuade someone if it's going to fail. If emotions and feelings will work best, that's what I will use. If logic will work best, I will use that. If nothing is likely to work, I may not try at all. I'm not really sure how I know what the best way is... I just do.

    All that aside, I try not to persuade people for the most part... or I'm having issues with the entire idea of "persuasion" or something. In a lot of ways logical persuasion seems more harmless than emotional persuasion. I think I've been looking at persuasion like it's something negative... perhaps I should question whether there are ways in which persuasion is positive. Like I've been thankful at times when others have persuaded me... or sometimes I need to be persuaded. I guess the motives for it are what really matter.

    As for people-oriented vs. task-oriented... I draw a blank. I don't know. I guess underneath it all it's more about people... I mean people are more important than tasks. But...

    Sigh... no T/F description has yet to bring me out of my T/F confusion.

    I like how these descriptions are short and to the point however. Although I still managed to, it's harder to "read things into" them.
    In this and other posts of yours you come across a clear F type, Loki. You always emphasize the people oriented perspective more than the logical. INFp, or maybe ENFp, are the most likely types for you.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    My God you're retarded, even Frank Zappa wouldn't like you referencing him like that.

    The poster in this thread focused on "reasoning", and said the j types for example, use the reason to understand events that happen, and p types prefer not to come up with explaination for why events occured. (A)

    You said J types stick to a single path and P types adapt. (B)

    A=/=B


    Also, you seem to assume that "adapting" to circumstances is "irrational", yet it is often said that "rational people think at the margin", which means that rationality (at least in some people's opinions) is about being flexible.

    It is VERY PLAUSABLE to both keep up at a consistant, unchanging pace in life, AND to dismiss reason in favor of experience. While at the same time one could use reason to understand events while simultaneously adapting to said events.

    You fail again.
    I'm very proud of this post.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  30. #30
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Actually why would an INFp Ni subtype be more into Ti than an INFp Fe subtype? Given that the peak of merry is reached at the peak of Fe, and given that Ti is a merry function, then an INFp Ni has less of a preference for Ti than an INFp Fe and more of a preference for Te.
    You're looking at it from a theoretical point of view, which I think is questionable. What I said is based on my (questionable as well) observations, and I think I may have made a mistake.

    What I'm thinking is that the use of Fe to use emotion to persuade people etc is an use of Fe as base function, as in ENFj. INFp-Ni would be less prone to do that than INFp-Fe. INFp-Ni would use Fe mainly as a creative function, using Ti to analyse Fe input. Pretty much what the ESFj-INTj dual pair does, only the INFp does that alone, which is one reason for the INFp-ESFj supervision. The INFp realizes that the ESFj gets the Fe input but asks for help to Ti analyze it.

    So, what I should have said is that INFp-Ni is more prone to use Ti in that fashion than the INFp-Fe.

    Now, whether INFp-Ni would be more prone to be Ti-focused generally: I don't know.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  31. #31
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is this type test accurate?

    Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune

    Anyone have a more in depth explanation of telling an INFp Fe subtype from an Ni one??

    I have always had a penchant for analyzing people and my interactions/relationships to death if they seem important enough. (This can become obsessing if someone is especially difficult to read by Fe alone). I offer the evidence that my bookshelves are loaded with psychology, personality theory and (mostly existentialist) philosophy. I have a driving need to "figure out" people or at the very least note key behavioral traits they express.

    I sometimes think of it in terms of *pinging* others -- if I throw a stone down the well, can I hear the splash?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiKeba
    I agree with Expat here. It seems my type is INFp and I relate much more to T here then to F. I've often wondered why I sometimes relate more to T but at the same time am obviously full of teh
    Expat's description about Ni subtypes FINALLY shed some light on why that may be.
    Thank you.

    So it seems that the INFps themselves did not find my description so "deluded" as Phaedrus did, further corroborating the thesis that the most "deluded" person on this forum is Phaedrus himself.

    As for "in depth" explanation: the problem is that there is no consistent theory on subtypes. One view I take goes something like this:

    - INFp-Fe and ISFp-Fe resemble each other as they are both IPs who go into "Fe mode" more often, as in using Fe actively
    - INFp-Ni and INTp-Ni resemble each other as they are both IPs who are mainly in "Ni" mode of inner immersion in their thoughts and images

    So, while INFp-Ni and INFp-Fe remain the same type, INFp-Ni is mainly in Ni IP mode, with Ni being affected by the Fe input in a more or less "passive" way, with the Fe input analyzed by Ti (which always happens with Fe and Ti).

    INFp-Fe goes more often into Fe EJ mode, using Fe actively to influence people around them, of course using Ti to analyze Fe input too, but using Fe in a more "proactive" way. A possible example is Scarlettlux, assuming she is INFp-Fe rather than ENFj.

    But, in the end, the distinction is "nuancal" since it's the same type. However, I think that INFp-Ni, since they seldom use Fe proactively, and are more "passive observers", are more likely to see themselves as "T" if the question is put in a very yes-and-no way as in sigma's test.

    If you look at my list of INFps in here: http://the16types.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12605

    Assuming I'm right in my typings, I'd say that Walt Disney was more like INFp-Fe, and H.G. Wells more like INFp-Ni. Perhaps Truman Capote, too.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  32. #32
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Actually why would an INFp Ni subtype be more into Ti than an INFp Fe subtype? Given that the peak of merry is reached at the peak of Fe, and given that Ti is a merry function, then an INFp Ni has less of a preference for Ti than an INFp Fe and more of a preference for Te.
    You're looking at it from a theoretical point of view, which I think is questionable. What I said is based on my (questionable as well) observations, and I think I may have made a mistake.

    What I'm thinking is that the use of Fe to use emotion to persuade people etc is an use of Fe as base function, as in ENFj. INFp-Ni would be less prone to do that than INFp-Fe. INFp-Ni would use Fe mainly as a creative function, using Ti to analyse Fe input. Pretty much what the ESFj-INTj dual pair does, only the INFp does that alone, which is one reason for the INFp-ESFj supervision. The INFp realizes that the ESFj gets the Fe input but asks for help to Ti analyze it.

    So, what I should have said is that INFp-Ni is more prone to use Ti in that fashion than the INFp-Fe.

    Now, whether INFp-Ni would be more prone to be Ti-focused generally: I don't know.
    Doesn't reduced usage of Fe naturally lead to increased usage of Ti? As they are the opposite ends of same "axis". Like Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si?

    Edit:
    So INFp (Ni), compared to average INFp should have...
    increased usage of Ni, decreased usage of Se
    decreased usage of Fe, increased usage of Ti
    decreased usage of Fi (because Ti shuts down Fi), increased usage of Te
    decreased usage of Si (because Ni shuts down Si), increased usage of Ne

  33. #33
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Doesn't reduced usage of Fe naturally lead to increased usage of Ti? As they are the opposite ends of same "axis". Like Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si?

    Edit:
    So INFp (Ni), compared to average INFp should have...
    increased usage of Ni, decreased usage of Se
    decreased usage of Fe, increased usage of Ti
    decreased usage of Fi (because Ti shuts down Fi), increased usage of Te
    decreased usage of Si (because Ni shuts down Si), increased usage of Ne
    I am very curious about this.

  34. #34
    sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    641
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    First sorry for missing in action

    now... how can this short test be improved? I'm not trying to create a perfect test BUT if by small changes its accuracy could be improved... why not push it as far as possible.

    For example.... I have received in a private message this alternative to the F/T preference.
    F
    I am people-oriented and emotionally "flexible".
    T
    I am task-oriented and emotionally "inflexible".
    Is this better? How would you see it better?
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

    I chose Love

  35. #35

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is this type test accurate?

    Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    This should help you figure out your type!

    S
    I think more about the here and now, physical reality.

    N
    I think more about abstract ideas or concepts, the future, the past.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    F
    I am people-oriented. I use emotions and feelings to persuade people.

    T
    I am task-oriented. I use facts and logic to persuade people.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    j
    By using reasoning and judgment, I arrange the random happenings of life into definite forms.

    p
    I accept the random happenings of life the way they are; my reasoning and judgment doesn't keep pace.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Ixxj, Exxp
    I say what happens at stages A, B and C.

    Ixxp, Exxj
    I say how stage A leads to stage B, and how stage B leads to stage C.
    make it stop

  36. #36
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been testing multiple times as an INFP yet the description is completely off for me and i don't identify with it hardly at all. I don't understand.

  37. #37
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Doesn't reduced usage of Fe naturally lead to increased usage of Ti? As they are the opposite ends of same "axis". Like Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si?

    Edit:
    So INFp (Ni), compared to average INFp should have...
    increased usage of Ni, decreased usage of Se
    decreased usage of Fe, increased usage of Ti
    decreased usage of Fi (because Ti shuts down Fi), increased usage of Te
    decreased usage of Si (because Ni shuts down Si), increased usage of Ne
    I'm not sure about this. I don't think that less Fe necessarily leads to more Ti. I think it leads to more Te. Now if you say that more Ti leads to more Te -- no, I don't think so.

    Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si go together as quadra values. They complement each other. So an ENTp uses Ne and Si, but their use of Si is shaky, so they like the ISFp's help on that. But I would argue that what "damages" their use of Si is not their Ne as such, but their Ni.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  38. #38
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Doesn't reduced usage of Fe naturally lead to increased usage of Ti? As they are the opposite ends of same "axis". Like Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si?

    Edit:
    So INFp (Ni), compared to average INFp should have...
    increased usage of Ni, decreased usage of Se
    decreased usage of Fe, increased usage of Ti
    decreased usage of Fi (because Ti shuts down Fi), increased usage of Te
    decreased usage of Si (because Ni shuts down Si), increased usage of Ne
    I'm not sure about this. I don't think that less Fe necessarily leads to more Ti. I think it leads to more Te. Now if you say that more Ti leads to more Te -- no, I don't think so.

    Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si go together as quadra values. They complement each other. So an ENTp uses Ne and Si, but their use of Si is shaky, so they like the ISFp's help on that. But I would argue that what "damages" their use of Si is not their Ne as such, but their Ni.
    maybe...

    more Ni/less Fe (than avg IEI) => less Si, more Te
    (more Ni) => less Se
    (less Si) => more Ne
    Ti, Fi unchanged

  39. #39
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Doesn't reduced usage of Fe naturally lead to increased usage of Ti? As they are the opposite ends of same "axis". Like Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si?

    Edit:
    So INFp (Ni), compared to average INFp should have...
    increased usage of Ni, decreased usage of Se
    decreased usage of Fe, increased usage of Ti
    decreased usage of Fi (because Ti shuts down Fi), increased usage of Te
    decreased usage of Si (because Ni shuts down Si), increased usage of Ne
    I'm not sure about this. I don't think that less Fe necessarily leads to more Ti. I think it leads to more Te. Now if you say that more Ti leads to more Te -- no, I don't think so.

    Se and Ni, Te and Fi, Ne and Si go together as quadra values. They complement each other. So an ENTp uses Ne and Si, but their use of Si is shaky, so they like the ISFp's help on that. But I would argue that what "damages" their use of Si is not their Ne as such, but their Ni.
    maybe...

    more Ni/less Fe (than avg IEI) => less Si, more Te
    (more Ni) => less Se
    (less Si) => more Ne
    Ti, Fi unchanged
    Yes for the first tree deduction.

    Ti/Fi: if Ti is counterpart of Fe and Fi is counterpart of Te, then more Fi less Ti (Ti still prominent but less so than an INFp-Fe)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  40. #40
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I've been testing multiple times as an INFP yet the description is completely off for me and i don't identify with it hardly at all. I don't understand.
    Which tests?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •