Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Deleting or editing own posts

  1. #1
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Deleting or editing own posts

    I think this may be relevant for socionics, hence it's here, but if it goes into all sorts of directions I will move it to Anything Goes myself.

    It has been pointed out that Dioklecian changed the initial post in a thread lots of times. He has done it before. He also once started a thread saying "Expat sucks as a moderator" and later changed its name to "Expat is a good moderator" or whatever.

    I have noted that many others do something of the sort.

    Personally I understand - and I have done it myself, on occasion - when you post something, then you regret posting it for whatever reason, and then you delete it/edit it out - immediately. I also understand it when people write something very personal, or post a picture, and then delete it - but in those cases, usually the person knows beforehand that it's temporary.

    But I don't see at all the point of deleting/editing out something after lots of people have had a chance to read it and reply to it, only because you regret it and/or don't agree with it anymore.

    I mean -- what's the problem of saying, "ok, I shouldn't have said that, I apologize" or "I have changed my mind since the time when I wrote that?"

    If anyone would bother, it's very easy to dig up in my old posts socionics concepts, or typings, that I don't agree with anymore. In fact, in hindsight, I think that a lot of what I wrote on socionics in the past is nonsense. But I don't see the point of deleting or editing that. I wiill say, "I thought that then, but I don't think so now. I was wrong and I saw that".

    A similar, more extreme, phenomenon is when someone leaves a forum - I have seen it happening here, and in other forums - and makes a point of spending a lot of time, and considerable energy, on deleting/editing out, one by one, all their own posts, regardless of content - even harmless posts. It's as if the person wanted to "erase their own existence" off the forum.

    So, what's the point of removing something you have written, after people have read it and replied to it? What can that possibly achieve (again, I don't mean things related to private information)? Why does Dio - among others - change their posts or even thread titles?

    My guess is that these people are concerned with the emotional response those posts provoke on others. Especially in Dio's case, he expects a post, or a thread, to provoke an specific response, or to be received in a certain way. Then it doesn't work as, or even backfires, provoking a different kind of emotional response, so he feels compelled to alter it in order to get the reaction he hopes to achieve.

    I am using Dioklecian as an example. I think this is what's behind people's motivations to delete/edit out posts that got opposite reactions to those they were expecting. Others have done it.

    What do you think?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  2. #2
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think people quite obviously have very different reasons for editing their posts, so those would have to be what we're analyzing when we look at this through the Socionics lense.

    Me, when I edit my posts, it's either because, like Expat said, I wrote something I regret or think people will respond poorly to, or because I thought of something else that conveys my message better. Fe/Fi + Ni, Ne.

  3. #3
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Deleting or editing own posts

    i would imagine it's more related to rationality/irrationality. there is something very unnatural about forums. passing thoughts being turned into stone, and so on.

    if much of what you say is on a whim or you simply would prefer for there never to be a final thought, you are bound to want to trim around the edges.

    my motivation for occasionally deleting/editing has little to do with how i think others will react and a lot more to do with an overall discomfort with clicking post.

    (although in this case i only edited because i forgot the last part).
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I usually only edit my post for grammar/spelling mistakes.

    Or if there was something I wanted to say originally but forgot about.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't see how it's much different than removing a photo. Why should one be willing to expose that piece of themselves any longer than a mental part of themselves? Or rather, vice versa. I think Ti people could attach more meaning to information, viewing it through what parts are permanent about it, seeing reasons to remove parts. Fi/Te people i could see removing posts for more practical reasons. Like, I think one poster removed many or all posts about someone in his life who came upon this forum and caused relational problems for him.

  6. #6
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Me, when I edit my posts, it's either because, like Expat said, I wrote something I regret or think people will respond poorly to, or because I thought of something else that conveys my message better. Fe/Fi + Ni, Ne.
    But I understand the "regret" bit if one edits/deletes it immediately after posting it. Once lots of people already saw and replied to the original one, it makes no sense in my view. It makes more sense to ammend your thoughts in a new post.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  7. #7
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah I'll agree to that.

  8. #8
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On the few occasions I've done it (primarily - if not totally - on EIDB), it's been due to the topic changing direction entirely. What it started out as (a topic about me or my typing) is lost, and the topic changes direction. Therefore I change the title and the initiating post for this reason, and this reason alone. Some perceive it as a contradiction, but if that was so, surely I'd do it with every single post I make, but I don't. I do it with the select few that change direction. Take, for example, my 74-page-long typing thread. If the topic had changed over those 74 pages, I may have changed the title and first post. But I didn't, because the topic has remained the same throughout; my type.

    The only reason I can think of as to why others do it (the above reason aside) is out of shame and/or embarrasment.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  9. #9
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    I don't see how it's much different than removing a photo. Why should one be willing to expose that piece of themselves any longer than a mental part of themselves?
    But when you remove a photo, I understand is that you want to minimize the number of people who will have seen it, for reasons of privacy.

    If you delete something you have said - but that others have had time to read and reply to - and if you say that it's the same as deleting a photo, then what you're saying is that you don't want other people to see that "picture" of your thoughts and personality.

    The true parallel with the photo would be this:

    - you post a picture thinking that it makes you look good
    - people say, "you look ridiculous in that picture, lol"
    - you remove the picture and replace it with a new one, hoping people will forget you ever posted the first picture

    So, with a post

    - you write a post thinking that it will have a certain kind of response
    - people react to it in a totally unexpected, and negative way
    - you remove the text, or replace it with something else, that will make you look better (based on the feedback of those who replied to it)

    I see a point to both cases - as in the picture - if your removing it has nothing to do with the response to the original post or picture. In the case of a picture, if not for privacy reasons (you don't want any picture of you do be there for long), why not post another picture making you look better, rather than remove the old one?

    Personally - and it's my own, "biased" PoV if you insist - if you post something thinking it's intelligent, clever, "tough" or whatever, and then delete it because people thought it was stupid, dumb, and just plain rude, you're just being pusillanimous.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  10. #10
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    On the few occasions I've done it (primarily - if not totally - on EIDB), it's been due to the topic changing direction entirely. What it started out as (a topic about me or my typing) is lost, and the topic changes direction. Therefore I change the title and the initiating post for this reason, and this reason alone. Some perceive it as a contradiction, but if that was so, surely I'd do it with every single post I make, but I don't. I do it with the select few that change direction. Take, for example, my 74-page-long typing thread. If the topic had changed over those 74 pages, I may have changed the title and first post. But I didn't, because the topic has remained the same throughout; my type.
    Yes that is something else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    The only reason I can think of as to why others do it (the above reason aside) is out of shame and/or embarrasment.
    Precisely.

    Where I think that a more honorable way of doing it is to leave what you wrote that embarrassed you, acknowledge it, and at the same time distance yourself from it. Everyone makes mistakes.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  11. #11
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Where I think that a more honorable way of doing it is to leave what you wrote that embarrassed you, acknowledge it, and at the same time distance yourself from it. Everyone makes mistakes.
    Precisely.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  12. #12
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no. ever heard of avoiding a reaction altogether? why must one's motivation be focusing on others' reactions and not one's own?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  13. #13
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    no. ever heard of avoiding a reaction altogether? why must one's motivation be focusing on others' reactions and not one's own?
    Why would one post anything if one was not focusing on others' reactions?
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  14. #14
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That seems to apply more obviously to the cases when you delete the post before others had a chance to read and reply to it. It looks less likely if done after lots of people reacted to it, but I guess it's also possible.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  15. #15
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    no. ever heard of avoiding a reaction altogether? why must one's motivation be focusing on others' reactions and not one's own?
    Why would one post anything if one was not focusing on others' reactions?
    it's a question of which is more heavily weighed.

    i do it all the time.

    realization.
    post.
    apathy.
    second guess.
    (no reaction or at least no negative reaction by others)
    . . .
    realize ON MY OWN that the post is irrelevant now.
    delete/edit, or at least wish to
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I usually only edit my posts when I felt that I was rambling and didn't make much sense.
    Or if I have something to add.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  17. #17
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    I usually edit because I have shit grammar and sometimes I actually care to go back and edit my posts into something at least relatively coherent. This can take six or seven edits when I'm really high to get right.

    Other than that, I do sometimes do the immediate editing/deleting a minute or two after I post something when I realize that it was a bit too trollish or "raw" of a joke to be appreciated by most of the forum.

    then maybe once a year or so I piss off one of the resident psycho's to the point that I actually care to remove my personal information from the forum for awhile.

    I think that's about it.

    Once it's been there for more than half an hour or been responded to I figure there's no point in editing it.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm, I thought I should reply since I have deleted a fair number of my posts.

    A lot has to do with the strange nature of this kind of internet forum.
    It can feel like a real time private discussion, yet it also has this strange set in stone nature...
    The context changes depending on the time and the reader.
    For example I have proposed a number of types to forum members, mainly hoping to get people to start thinking for themselves, but then have found my suggestions quoted as "curioussoulian types" - when nothing of the sort was intended...

    If posts cannot be deleted then the nature of the forum and discussion changes.
    It is an alternative worthy of considering, but personally I would prefer to allow deleting old posts.
    Words, once they are printed, have a life of their own...
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  19. #19
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've edited old stuff I wrote about someone, in case the came to the forum I honestly don't care if they know in the long run, because it was my honest opinion but if I can avoid them reading it I'm going to. They don't have the capacity to take any sort of critisism so it would be bad for everyone


    I also edit whenever I don't want to be in the conversation anymore, I've said something dumb, I've said something under the influence...etc...

    The only time I've gone and deleted a whole lot of posts from 1 or 2 threads was when I was arguing with Gilly via ...threads.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  20. #20
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Really the only time I delete posts is if my browser was being shitty, and thus caused an accidental double/triple/etc. post. Otherwise, the posts stay.

    Sometimes I edit to add things I forgot, correct spelling mistakes, or to change the wording of something to make it more effective.



    The worst thing that people do though is delete their posts after they have been quoted by someone. That totally defeats the purpose, as it's still there anyways!
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I tend to be perfectionistic (according to my own standards) when it comes to the grammar, spelling, and composition of my posts. I tend to impatiently type them out in order to post them as quickly as possible, then I go back and proofread afterwards, commonly making several edits.

    I think it might be a "J" characteristic.

    When it comes to deleting "embarrassing" posts, I have a personal standard of historical preservation I typically try to uphold.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    I generally only edit for grammar, punctuation, and so forth.

    Recently, I was frustrated by the fact that most of my posts were entirely unproductive. I saw no reason not to delete them. It's not like I can make any meaningful contribution to this forum.

    I don't think it was a waste of time and energy. I put far more time and energy into composing the average post than it took to delete them.
    I can only say that I although you may not be capable of attributing to the dominant thought processes of this particular forum, you are not alone in your thinking. I too have more interest in what socionics means for others than for myself.

  23. #23
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think I've ever done that. Or delete my posts in any other way either. However I can sometimes spend considerable amount of time to write a post so that it comes out "right". Then after posting I can read it and make edits if it still doesn't seem quite right. Then perhaps add something to it. But when I'm finished I move on. Most of the time I just blurt something out though, heh.

    Changing your post after it has been quoted is like a hopelessly transparent attempt to correct your past mistakes via unethical means (it is comparable to a child saying "I didn't break it! I didn't! You are mistaken!" when they have e.g. dropped something and everyone clearly saw they did it).

  24. #24
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    I generally only edit for grammar, punctuation, and so forth.

    Recently, I was frustrated by the fact that most of my posts were entirely unproductive. I saw no reason not to delete them. It's not like I can make any meaningful contribution to this forum.

    I don't think it was a waste of time and energy. I put far more time and energy into composing the average post than it took to delete them.
    I can only say that I although you may not be capable of attributing to the dominant thought processes of this particular forum, you are not alone in your thinking. I too have more interest in what socionics means for others than for myself.
    Wow...all hail Saint Tcaudillig!

    Kioshi says he feels he can't make any meaningful contribution to the forum, and tcaudilllg sees a kindred spirit who scarifices himself on the High Altar of Socionics for the benefit of humanity, through the act of deleting his posts...such piety! Bring out the sackcloth and the bed of nails!
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  25. #25
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    When it comes to deleting "embarrassing" posts, I have a personal standard of historical preservation I typically try to uphold.

    This is an annoying characteristic of you...
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  26. #26
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    The worst thing that people do though is delete their posts after they have been quoted by someone. That totally defeats the purpose, as it's still there anyways!
    That's hilarious when that happens. I quoted Gilly saying "anyone who thinks that is a fucking idiot" before he'd changed it to "anyone who thinks that doesn't know what they're talking about".

  27. #27
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    I think it might be a "J" characteristic.
    Do you think it's always related to 'j'?

  28. #28
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  29. #29
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I edit out grammar, spelling, or minor errors sometimes. Occassionally I notice that the way I worded something isn't clear or exacting enough to get the point across and I may then somewhat change wording. The meaning doesn't change much if any, however... I only edit to make sure what I said matches what I mean. And there are so many ways to interpret something that I try to cover all the bases there, so what I say won't be misinterpretted as meaning something else... in which case I may reword it slightly. If it's been there for a while already though, I am unlikely to re-word anything, and may only change something like a spelling error or something if I feel it interferes with the overall meaning.

    As for people deleting or editing or changing their posts to mean something somewhat different (or entirely different) than what they originally said... I don't think I care. Whatever. I kind of agree with Reyn_Til_Run (sp?) about the 'passing thoughts being set in stone' and how strange that can seem. In a way it feels more fluid when posts can change... though that would be utterly confusing if everyone did that frequently.

    In some ways it would be silly to change the meaning of a post after the fact because people are going to notice anyway... so then there's no point in even doing that.

    If I regret something I said I leave it as is. It is in the past.

    I've noticed browsing through the forum that there do seem to have been some mass deletions. Actually I kind of like it... it's interesting... Hmm. Maybe it's because in the present moment, sometimes the past is not needed...

    Edit: that is not to say I would think going through and deleting the posts of others would be a good idea... Don't like that really at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •