Thread: Deltas, do you like luxury and fine things?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Deltas, do you like luxury and fine things?

Deltas, do you like luxury? Do you enjoy fine things? Are you attracted to luxury clothing, luxury vehicles, luxury resorts, luxury homes, luxury lifestyles? Do you live luxury lives? Or do you aspire to them? Do you admire those that live luxury lives and take them as role models?

Your answers will be much appreciated
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a word, no.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm. Not really. I make do with whatever.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things have to be comfortable, and sometimes those things happen to be "luxurious", but they aren't always. My husband will only wear one brand of jeans, and it's a store brand out of a discount store. If I spent $1000 on a pair of jeans, after killing me, he would refuse to wear them because they aren't the brand he finds comfortable.

On the other hand, sometimes in order to have something comfortable enough and something we are confident will keep working properly, we have to spend a lot of money. Not usually though. And we are not in the slightest concerned with what other people think of our choices.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. If I were rich, i'd be the cheapest rich imaginable. I do okay for myself and could easily afford 'nicer' things, but it wouldn't make me feel any better about myself or more impressive or happier.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose that you're talking about flashy stuff. And no, I'm not attracted to it. I believe only show-offs are interested in purchasing stuff to impress others instead of enjoying it themselves.

I'm going to give you a practical example. I own a '88 VW "Beetle" and that's the car I drive. If for some reason I were given a Ferrari as a replacement for it, money aside of course, I would not accept it. That's because I don't care about others seeing me driving the car, but I do care about how I feel driving it. And knowing it's a sporting car, with a very hard suspension, low profile, only for two passengers, that consumes fuel like crazy and that if for some reason it gets stuck while on the road almost nobody will be able to fix it due to the lack of knowledge and spares... well, you get the idea.

Real luxury to me is a different thing. A luxury life is one where I'm the master of my own time. This is, that I don't have to work for others or otherwise let others dictate what I should or should not do with my time - or better, my life. Even those who have "luxury" lives are not real owners of their own time; they are slaves of their social circle and their opinions, etc.

There is a quote that resumes my stance about it:

"The only real luxury is to be able to say what you really think."
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like quality.

Luxury reeks of unnecessary excess, waste - I do not love that, no.

Quality through hard work, skill, discipline, effort - these things I appreciate.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Luxury (a question for Deltas)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    Deltas, do you like luxury? Do you enjoy fine things? Are you attracted to luxury clothing, luxury vehicles, luxury resorts, luxury homes, luxury lifestyles? Do you live luxury lives? Or do you aspire to them? Do you admire those that live luxury lives and take them as role models?

I would have to say no aswell. Even if i was rich i wouldn't bother with a real luxury car. The idea of luxury is foreign to me, but thats probably because ive just grown up in a middle class background. I dont think i could derive much comfort living in a 6 star hotel, i would just feel weird. The clothes i wear are reasonably priced so they dont look cheap, but not off the charts. When it comes to buying say a Tv, i do appreciate if things aren't too cheap. My parents bought a cheap plasma TV and its ok, but it does shit me considering they have easily enough for a better one. My dad has no sense for quality. He will buy a 50 pack of some budget brand drink because its on special. I do see quality over quantity in those things. Soap, i really just want budget soap. I dont feel justified cleaning myself with aloe vera encrusted, scented, and diamond chipped soap. Tissues and toilet paper, hmm i can handle budget. It rips your nose and ass up a little but im a man i can take it.

The word Luxury in fact shits me off. It Conjours thoughts of indulgent self serving people. I dont admire people who appear rich. Often the ones who are really well off are very unassuming. I went to Gold Class Cinemas the other day and watched these people drinking wine and eating prawns whilst watching Bourne Ultimatum. I thought they were all twats. Let me sit with the plebs and eat twisties any day.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*shrug* Sure, I don't mind nice stuff. I like being comfortable and sometimes having stuff is a way to achieve that. But it's not necessarily something I aspire to, more like I'm happy with if it happens to come my way.

One problem with having lots of stuff is that you have to take care of and organize it, which can be more trouble than it's worth. I mean, if somebody wanted to take care of all that for me, sure, that'd be great. But it's still a potential tangle.

On a more philosophical note, too much luxury pushes me in the direction of laziness and away from a healthy trust in God. I might start getting the idea that I'm the one in control and providing for myself, which is not a good attitude to have, especially if I want to keep up a strong relationship with him. I'd start relying on myself more and less on him, and then things would fall apart. I've seen it happen on a smaller scale; I don't want to see it happen on a larger scale. Plus, a certain amount of struggle in life is healthy, I think.

That last part is my own personal perspective. I'm not sure how well it applies to other Deltas.

My role-models tend to be people with strong character, and it seems that there are more people like that who are poor than who are rich. So, take that for what it's worth.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    I might start getting the idea that I'm the one in control and providing for myself, which is not a good attitude to have, especially if I want to keep up a strong relationship with him. I'd start relying on myself more and less on him, and then things would fall apart.

Sorry but if i was trapped in a burning house and i had to choose to rely on myself or god. I'd be putting my money on myself. I think god gave you free will for a reason. He wants you to not expect anything from him at all. Hes a pretty busy guy and he created you able bodied for a reason
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yomama
    Last edited by betterthandead; 08-03-2008 at 04:14 PM.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger

Sorry but if i was trapped in a burning house and i had to choose to rely on myself or god. I'd be putting my money on myself. I think god gave you free will for a reason. He wants you to not expect anything from him at all. Hes a pretty busy guy and he created you able bodied for a reason
    I thought you didn't believe in a god?

Anyway, I halfway agree with you. To explain myself, I don't think it's an either/or, but an and/both. God gives me things and I do stuff with what he's given me. To use your burning house example, if I see a way out I consider it a gift from God and so I use that way to escape.

The way I see it, everything good I have is provided by God. The very fact I live and breathe is thanks to him. And he's given me lots of good things. That doesn't at all mean that I don't be productive and industrious. In fact, I'm supposed to be a good steward of what I have. "To whom much is given, much is required." I live in a wealthy nation and, by many world standards, have been given life on a silver platter. I owe quite a lot to the world. But if I stop seeing what I have as a gift from God, then I start getting possessive and selfish, and, well, I've seen how that can make my life start spiraling down. Being self-absorbed is one of the stupidest things I could do, I think, considering what a rotten thing that would be to absorb oneself in. I'm such an imperfect being it's not even funny! I think I'd do much better by chasing something more virtuous and wholesome. But, anyway, I think I'm getting off topic...

And, yes, I'd say God is a pretty busy guy, but not too busy to pay attention to me, which is why I love him.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, I halfway agree with you. To explain myself, I don't think it's an either/or, but an and/both. God gives me things and I do stuff with what he's given me. To use your burning house example, if I see a way out I consider it a gift from God and so I use that way to escape.

The way I see it, everything good I have is provided by God. The very fact I live and breathe is thanks to him. And he's given me lots of good things. That doesn't at all mean that I don't be productive and industrious. In fact, I'm supposed to be a good steward of what I have. "To whom much is given, much is required." I live in a wealthy nation and, by many world standards, have been given life on a silver platter. I owe quite a lot to the world. But if I stop seeing what I have as a gift from God, then I start getting possessive and selfish, and, well, I've seen how that can make my life start spiraling down. Being self-absorbed is one of the stupidest things I could do, I think, considering what a rotten thing that would be to absorb oneself in. I'm such an imperfect being it's not even funny! I think I'd do much better by chasing something more virtuous and wholesome. But, anyway, I think I'm getting off topic...

And, yes, I'd say God is a pretty busy guy, but not too busy to pay attention to me, which is why I love him.
    Good post. I agree.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah thats true i dont, but its perhaps better to put it in the form you would be more receptive to.

The way I see it, everything good I have is provided by God. The very fact I live and breathe is thanks to him. And he's given me lots of good things. That doesn't at all mean that I don't be productive and industrious. In fact, I'm supposed to be a good steward of what I have. "To whom much is given, much is required." I live in a wealthy nation and, by many world standards, have been given life on a silver platter. I owe quite a lot to the world.
    Yep no problem i thought that was what you meant. When bad things happen, do you think that is gods punishment or something else?

But if I stop seeing what I have as a gift from God, then I start getting possessive and selfish, and, well, I've seen how that can make my life start spiraling down. Being self-absorbed is one of the stupidest things I could do, I think, considering what a rotten thing that would be to absorb oneself in. I'm such an imperfect being it's not even funny! I think I'd do much better by chasing something more virtuous and wholesome. But, anyway, I think I'm getting off topic...
    Yeah. Remember that i dont believe in god and my life doesn't just fall apart. I also dont decline into moral decay. I believe you should be humble and be kind to people. I believe that because of my own personal moral compass, not anything to do with god. I dont believe i will get any rewards for my effort except for my own self happiness. Now thats moral for you.

Yep off track again. I probablly deserve a warning lol.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yomama
    Last edited by betterthandead; 08-03-2008 at 04:13 PM.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah thats true i dont, but its perhaps better to put it in the form you would be more receptive to.
    A wise tactic, one that I often try to employ.

Yep no problem i thought that was what you meant. When bad things happen, do you think that is gods punishment or something else?
    Punishment... is perhaps too strong of a word. A consequence of wrong things done by me or other people? Yes. Sometimes it can be traced back to me - like if I drive too fast and get a ticket. Other times, like if my wallet gets stolen, it's pretty easy to tell that I'm not the one who's at fault.

Yeah. Remember that i dont believe in god and my life doesn't just fall apart. I also dont decline into moral decay. I believe you should be humble and be kind to people. I believe that because of my own personal moral compass, not anything to do with god. I dont believe i will get any rewards for my effort except for my own self happiness. Now thats moral for you.
    Um, I wasn't trying to be condemning or superior. All I was doing is explaining how it is for me. I'm sorry if you got offended.

Yep off track again. I probablly deserve a warning lol.
    Nah, I couldn't imagine you ever getting a warning. If you got a warning for this, and if everything was fair, most of the rest of the forum should rightly be booted.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punishment... is perhaps too strong of a word. A consequence of wrong things done by me or other people? Yes. Sometimes it can be traced back to me - like if I drive too fast and get a ticket. Other times, like if my wallet gets stolen, it's pretty easy to tell that I'm not the one who's at fault.
    Np. I personally dont see it as even. Good things are either chance or because you have worked hard for them. Bad things are chance or because you have brought them onto yourself.

Um, I wasn't trying to be condemning or superior. All I was doing is explaining how it is for me. I'm sorry if you got offended.
    You dont offend anyone Minde lol. In fact if anything it was me trying to be superior which is not true. I just get annoyed with Religious people taking the higher moral ground. A lot of Religious people believe that since they are going to heaven they can just cruise through this life. If you want to be good, be good from your own heart, not to appease some omnipotent being and buy your place in heaven. Of course you being an INFj i have no doubt whatsoever of the goodness in you. Its others im talking about.

God gave you free will. He therefore cannot be responsible for every choice you make. You must have some degree of control. If you choose to work really hard and earn luxury, thats been your choice.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Np. I personally dont see it as even. Good things are either chance or because you have worked hard for them. Bad things are chance or because you have brought them onto yourself.

You dont offend anyone Minde lol. In fact if anything it was me trying to be superior which is not true. I just get annoyed with Religious people taking the higher moral ground. A lot of Religious people believe that since they are going to heaven they can just cruise through this life. If you want to be good, be good from your own heart, not to appease some omnipotent being and buy your place in heaven. Of course you being an INFj i have no doubt whatsoever of the goodness in you. Its others im talking about.

God gave you free will. He therefore cannot be responsible for every choice you make. You must have some degree of control. If you choose to work really hard and earn luxury, thats been your choice.
    Dude, step off. Belief in God and free will are not mutually exclusive, nor is belief in God and luxury. I happen to agree with what Minde said. Luxury not a driving force for me but I enjoy it. I love well made things and beautiful craftsmanship. I dont like status symbols much and am indifferent to showy display. Once I found a really nice jacket in a thrift store. It was well made and fit like a glove. Coincidentally there was a remake of it on display at Saks 5th Ave (fancy department store). Because the jacket was in such good condition (even though it was probably made in the 1950's) all my friends assumed I had dropped a wad of cash on it. I gleefully told them it cost $8 (I considered that rather high for a thrift store, but I digress). Anyway, I wore till I got to fat for it and then I took it back to the thrift store some years later. I forgot what my point is but I like to impress people with clever solutions, good taste, practical thinking, and creativity. Luxury for showing off how much money I have or to impress other people with how well Im doing is so boring and for some reason it seems like and insult to others and myself. I guess the implied message is "Im better than you because I have this stuff" which is ridiculous.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, step off. Belief in God and free will are not mutually exclusive, nor is belief in God and luxury
    I dont think i did say that?

I'd start relying on myself more and less on him, and then things would fall apart
    I just dont like the idea that people are not in control of their own lives. Belive in god no problem but why rely on him? Good Christians die every day. It seems minde is saying that its all in "gods plan". Then why rely on him in this life? Hes either going to have you hit by the bus or hes not. Hes already worked that out.

I guess the implied message is "Im better than you because I have this stuff" which is ridiculous.
    Yes that is exactly what i dont like about displays of wealth. There is this conception that material weath somehow indicates whether someone is a good person or not. I think what i dont like about the idea of Luxury, is that it implies that someone deserves to live in it while others dont. Of course im a hypocryte as im not selling my house and living in a hovel.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, step off. Belief in God and free will are not mutually exclusive, nor is belief in God and luxury
    I dont think i did say that?

I'd start relying on myself more and less on him, and then things would fall apart
    I just dont like the idea that people are not in control of their own lives. Belive in god no problem but why rely on him? It seems minde is saying that its all in "gods plan". Then why rely on him in this life? Hes either going to have you hit by the bus or hes not. Hes already worked that out.

I guess the implied message is "Im better than you because I have this stuff" which is ridiculous.
    Yes that is exactly what i dont like about displays of wealth. There is this conception that material weath somehow indicates whether someone is a good person or not. I think what i dont like about the idea of Luxury, is that it implies that someone deserves to live in it while others dont. Of course im a hypocryte as im not selling my house and living in a hovel.
    You own your own house? Good for you I dont think living in a hovel would lighten the load for anyone else though. With the world the way it is there will be no equal distribution of wealth.
    As for everyones lives being preordained, I dont really know where people get that belief from and I dont know if thats what Minde intended. That would cancel out free will, wouldnt it? Most religious discussions on forums dont go well so I'll wont go on. Feel free to PM if thats something you want to talk about.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    You own your own house? Good for you
    Haha nah i wish

As for everyones lives being preordained, I dont really know where people get that belief from and I dont know if thats what Minde intended
    No in hindsight i dont either. By rely, perhaps she didn't mean rely on him to give her good things but rely on him to love her. Thats fair enough. She did say something about him being in control which would deny free will.

Most religious discussions on forums dont go well so I'll wont go on.
    Your dead right. In fact religious discussions of that nature dont go well ever really. I dont know why i always make the same mistake. In fact if Minde told me she didn't believe in god i would probablly feel like a right asshole. Good to see you back Topaz.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I like luxury for its convenience and I don't have to worry about making ends meet. I don't like the detailed process of considering how much I should budget my expenses and how much I should save. Anyway, I can never understand misers and cheapskates. I mean, money is worthless if you don't use it. It's ok to enjoy yourself and indulge in luxury because you definitely deserve it from all the hard work you have put in your work.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice

Yes. I like luxury for its convenience and I don't have to worry about making ends meet. I don't like the detailed process of considering how much I should budget my expenses and how much I should save. Anyway, I can never understand misers and cheapskates. I mean, money is worthless if you don't use it. It's ok to enjoy yourself and indulge in luxury because you definitely deserve it from all the hard work you have put in your work.
    You sound more ESI than EII here. I think.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice

Yeah. My dads a cheapskate he Has always been. No idea what hes saving for. He just didn't want to rely on the government for his old age. Money makes more money, so there are benefits of penny pinching in the long run.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, step off. Belief in God and free will are not mutually exclusive
    I can't resist... I think predetermination is the only logical consequence of an omnipotent god, and so do many religious people.
    LSI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSpirit
    Dude, step off. Belief in God and free will are not mutually exclusive
    I can't resist... I think predetermination is the only logical consequence of an omnipotent god, and so do many religious people.
    Well, PM me and I will explain what I have come to appreciate about the matter and then you can decide for yourself.

Topaz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, PM me and I will explain what I have come to appreciate about the matter and then you can decide for yourself.
    Yeah, like I would consider an ENFp's opinion about a logical consequence :-PPPPP
    LSI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, like I would consider an ENFp's opinion about a logical consequence :-PPPPP
    Im going to take that as a joke. Have a nice day Potato.

Topaz