View Poll Results: have you found practical ways to profit from socionics?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    17 56.67%
  • no

    5 16.67%
  • not sure

    8 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42

Thread: how has socionics affected your life?

  1. #1
    mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    stoppage time
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default how has socionics affected your life?

    how has socionics affected your life?
    do you have less friends now than you did when you first registered? does sunlight make your eyes bleed?

    no seriously, have you found practical ways to profit from the theory? do you understand yourself and/or others better?

    in truth, does socionics have any practical value whatsoever?
    IEI - the nasty kind...

  2. #2
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    sure it does... but it can fuck you up too if you take it too serriously, let yourself get too invested in typing every single fucking person you meet or waste too much of your time coming up with some "AMAZING WORLD CHANGING DISCOVERY!!!" lol

    In general... kiss the girl before you bother with trying to figure out her type. It'll save you time and your much much more likely to get some.

  3. #3
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I voted "yes" but "yes, but not much" would be more accurate. Now, if I run into an ISTj, I recognize that there's nothing inherently wrong with him/her, it's just that we have a personality conflict. Also, I recognize when and why I am driving my ISFj brother crazy sometimes and know generally how to cut it out. Otherwise, it hasn't really changed anything for me.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: how has socionics affected your life?

    Quote Originally Posted by little red riding hood
    do you have less friends now than you did when you first registered? does sunlight make your eyes bleed?
    yes and yes.

  5. #5
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've actually gained more understanding into how I operate.

    I've also learned not to be so impatient when I come to a new theory. I was reading some of my old posts, and it dawned on me that I was a prick not two months ago.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  6. #6
    Quirk Satellite Div.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Primarily, it has taken over very precious day dreaming space. Its now very difficult not to wander off into thinking about Socionics whenever I get the chance. The compulsion isn't so bad now as it was before, but it still hinders me whenever I try to focus on a subject(which is never easy to begin with). When it comes to relationships, I have been able to use Socionics to help understand people and how they develop relationships with people, which I have communicated to other people. It has only had minimal influence on how I control relationships- I have been able to change how I act slightly around different people, but there is only so much of my personality I can change and only so many abilities I can emulate. I am have never been in a position where I could use Socionics managerially.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

    Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

    Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quirk Satellite Div.
    Primarily, it has taken over very precious day dreaming space. Its now very difficult not to wander off into thinking about Socionics whenever I get the chance. The compulsion isn't so bad now as it was before, but it still hinders me whenever I try to focus on a subject(which is never easy to begin with).
    you are either a past or future version of me.

  8. #8
    meatburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A Quazar named Northern Territory
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Its stuffed up my relationships on occasion. Treating people like their types, letting it hold me back. Like slackermom though i like to think i understand people better now though. Its taught me the idea of a dual and how to find one. If that pays off for me i think thats more than worth it.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

    "And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

  9. #9
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It gave me more respect towards people who are different then me.

    It also helped me avoid another conflict relationship which I've had for 4 years...

  10. #10
    PotatoSpirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bologna, Italy
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    It gave me more respect towards people who are different then me.
    This is totally true. This alone makes it worth it for me.

    I do hope it will be useful in improving some relations a bit, and maybe finding some duals, but my typing skills are still crap.
    LSI

  11. #11
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    I've actually gained more understanding into how I operate.

    I've also learned not to be so impatient when I come to a new theory. I was reading some of my old posts, and it dawned on me that I was a prick not two months ago.
    You've got a ways yet, buddy.

  12. #12
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirk Satellite Div.
    Primarily, it has taken over very precious day dreaming space. Its now very difficult not to wander off into thinking about Socionics whenever I get the chance. The compulsion isn't so bad now as it was before, but it still hinders me whenever I try to focus on a subject(which is never easy to begin with).
    you are either a past or future version of me.
    No, it happens to everyone. Eventually.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    I've actually gained more understanding into how I operate.

    I've also learned not to be so impatient when I come to a new theory. I was reading some of my old posts, and it dawned on me that I was a prick not two months ago.
    You've got a ways yet, buddy.
    Ahahahahah so true.

    Everytime I post a response to him, it ends up with him misreading, getting pissed off, and going on a long debate with me, while I explain what I wrote bit by bit until he gets it, and then he usually says, "Oh yeah, I agree".

    You know why? Because he's obviously Te and and that reacts badly with my Ti, I have socionics to thank for that.

    *goes back to team Epsilon*





























    At this point I can't even tell if I'm being serious myself. :/
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  14. #14
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's okay, you're not.

  15. #15
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It has helped me to understand people better...for example, instead of calling my ex a "f*cking a*shole prick!!!!", I realize that he was just an ISTJ and then it all makes sense.



    ha.

  16. #16
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,429
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mostly negatively. Wrong assumptions about the world and yourself never have positive results. But now I think I'm begining to settle down into a mode of thinking which gets rid of this problem and now through more social contact (and just getting on with shit) i think my understanding is a little better than it was before.

    But there is still a very long way to go untill I can grasp this properly.

  17. #17
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Positive:

    I have made 2 relationships between duals start by encouraging each party to have faith in the relationship. Both were already experiencing a strong pull towards the other, but they were unsure due to the immediacy of the bond.

    Negative:

    I have become much less tolerant of people's shortcomings. This is because now I know mine, and try hard to get rid of them, so when I see others that don't try as hard, I don't like it.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  18. #18
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Negative:

    I have become much less tolerant of people's shortcomings. This is because now I know mine, and try hard to get rid of them, so when I see others that don't try as hard, I don't like it.
    +1

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Negative:

    I have become much less tolerant of people's shortcomings. This is because now I know mine, and try hard to get rid of them, so when I see others that don't try as hard, I don't like it.
    +1
    +2
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  20. #20
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I honestly don't get that. I'm completely the opposite. Like, I recognize my shortcomings, so I cut other people a lot more slack than I used to for theirs. I used to think inflexibility was the biggest shortcoming a person could have. Now I see it's just a different shortcoming - it isn't any worse than mine. This has made me much more tolerant.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  21. #21
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That, too.

  22. #22
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I honestly don't get that. I'm completely the opposite. Like, I recognize my shortcomings, so I cut other people a lot more slack than I used to for theirs. I used to think inflexibility was the biggest shortcoming a person could have. Now I see it's just a different shortcoming - it isn't any worse than mine. This has made me much more tolerant.
    Well maybe you are less hard on yourself. I feel very very bad for my shortcomings. Before socionics I was just like "hey, people are like that, who cares?". Now I think "If only they were more self aware they would not be like that". I think the shortcoming I hate the most is negativism - I can't stand it anymore.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  23. #23
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am probably way too easy on myself.

    This struck me as funny:

    I think the shortcoming I hate the most is negativism - I can't stand it anymore.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  24. #24
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    helped me in the following ways:

    1. understand family relationships better
    2. helped me find an s/o who is more compatible than my last
    3. helped me depersonalize when i'm in a problemmatic relation with someone (still don't know how to communicate well with such people, though)
    4. helped me understand my own needs better
    5. helped me pinpoint why i would have certain kinds of problems (polr stuff) and how to work around this
    6. helped me understand some reasons why my marriage failed and de-personlized the divorce

    on the negative, it's a little bit limiting. people aren't types. and duality can be hard to find, so applying duality is harder in practice. socionics would have you believe that duality is needed in order to function well. some of us are here spiritually, to experience a flowing life without many obstacles psychological and otherwise. others of us are here to experience more struggle and strain - i believe there is a meaning to this which supercedes socionics.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  25. #25
    mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    stoppage time
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    some of us are here spiritually, to experience a flowing life without many obstacles psychological and otherwise. others of us are here to experience more struggle and strain - i believe there is a meaning to this which supercedes socionics.
    are you saying you believe in karma? life after death? the neverending cycle of samsara?
    IEI - the nasty kind...

  26. #26
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Before I found Socionics, I was addicted to crack and cocaine.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  27. #27
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by little red riding hood
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    some of us are here spiritually, to experience a flowing life without many obstacles psychological and otherwise. others of us are here to experience more struggle and strain - i believe there is a meaning to this which supercedes socionics.
    are you saying you believe in karma? life after death? the neverending cycle of samsara?
    not exactly - i'm a christian.

    i believe that God has a plan and a reason for everything he does.

    some people God has decided will live a more flowing life with fewer obstacles. my father is an example. he picked a career which exactly uses his personality strengths and he married his dual 45 years ago. my parents are in their late 60's and they were able to capitalize on many positive economic trends during their lifetimes, especially with real estate and due to their inheritance. (i'm not saying there's anything wrong with this, by the way, and in no way do i begrudge this). their lifestyle is rather genteel in nature.

    while my life certainly could be a lot worse, but by comparison to my parents, it has been much more fraught with challenge, obstacles, stress, and strain, due to my choices at least in part, but also due in part to age i am in the time that i'm living in. probably due to a lot of other factors as well. i have chosen to do things which are incongruent with my socionics personality, in my career, in my personal life, in my selection of a marriage partner. my lifestyle is rather picaresque. i believe that i make these choices in order to seek out truths, to reconcile them to one another, and to communicate understanding to others. it's funny entp is known as "the seeker" and i would have to say that i am at my best when playing this role out.

    the infp man that i am seeing right now is the same as i am. he also has felt compelled to go against the flow of his socionics type in many ways, and his life shows that. we don't know the larger purpose of why we do the things we do, except perhaps through contemplation and prayer. so we began to talk about the meaning of this.

    i spoke with my father about he and my mother and whether he felt he needs her for his dual seeking function. he said if it was not for her, then he would almost certainly fall short in his dual seeking area and experience negative consequences. so they have come to depend on one another. when they are parted by death, i expect that the other one will closely follow since they have become so interdependent.

    so my conception of God's plan is that each of us is, in some ways, destined to live out a lifecycle, the meaning of which could be beyond our grasp. the best tcomprehension that i have of God's plan for me is that i am compelled to share the wisdom and humility of my seeking with others. i see this happen almost every day. i am sure that i have already helped to save at least 2 marriages since my divorce a year ago.

    socionics is scientific in that it answers the what and the how of the way we interact with others. the answers to the questions of who and why belong in the realm of the spiritual, which i believe supercedes socionics or man-made explanations of meaning.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  28. #28
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,943
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics has helped me find 'god' within myself, so that I am now able to transcend reality and walk through walls. I am at peace with myself, because my atoms are infinitely dispersed throughout the Universe. I am everything, and yet I am also nothing. There is mere mortaility, then there is me. I am the Alpha and the Omega - I pwn all things. My first is in 'moonlight', and my last is in 'sunshine'. What am I?
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  29. #29
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    Socionics has helped me find 'god' within myself, so that I am now able to transcend reality and walk through walls. I am at peace with myself, because my atoms are infinitely dispersed throughout the Universe. I am everything, and yet I am also nothing. There is mere mortaility, then there is me. I am the Alpha and the Omega - I pwn all things. My first is in 'moonlight', and my last is in 'sunshine'. What am I?
    are you high right now?

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  30. #30
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,943
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am a visionary, I see the future and the past in comic books and wine bottles; I eat black holes for breakfast! I bend crowbars with my meat ax and a thought! I'm the god damn Man of the Future, I am not Insane! Pardon my language. They say a godzillion is the highest number there is. Well by God! I count to a godzillion and one!
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  31. #31
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: how has socionics affected your life?

    Quote Originally Posted by little red riding hood
    how has socionics affected your life?
    do you have less friends now than you did when you first registered? does sunlight make your eyes bleed?

    no seriously, have you found practical ways to profit from the theory? do you understand yourself and/or others better?

    in truth, does socionics have any practical value whatsoever?
    I have equally small amount of friends now than I did before. I'm not really planning to use socionics to get more either I have barely enough time to spend with the current ones.

    The most obvious practical consequence is that I don't get annoyed and agitated about people anymore (as easily that is). Instead of they getting on my nerves I'm just like "Oh he is using function X and now function Y". So my bad relations have turned into very analytical ones instead (as actually have the good relations too, lol). Then I have learned how to avoid pushing the wrong buttons with people. Like if I am with someone with a PoLR I don't try to cheer them up too loudly or put them in the spotlight. And if I'm with someone who has PoLR I avoid analysing their personality in public or requiring them to express their inner feelings to other people. I have witnessed many vs. battles at work and I always think "if they just understood socionics they would just be amused about the difference in their positions instead of fighting each other to death".

    So I think socionics has increased my _understanding_ of people and thus I can better cope with their behavior. It is more useful in official and businesslike situations than in real friendships and such because in real relations it is about the real you but casual business relations are all about acting.

  32. #32
    mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    stoppage time
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Quote Originally Posted by little red riding hood
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    some of us are here spiritually, to experience a flowing life without many obstacles psychological and otherwise. others of us are here to experience more struggle and strain - i believe there is a meaning to this which supercedes socionics.
    are you saying you believe in karma? life after death? the neverending cycle of samsara?
    not exactly - i'm a christian.

    i believe that God has a plan and a reason for everything he does.

    some people God has decided will live a more flowing life with fewer obstacles. my father is an example. he picked a career which exactly uses his personality strengths and he married his dual 45 years ago. my parents are in their late 60's and they were able to capitalize on many positive economic trends during their lifetimes, especially with real estate and due to their inheritance. (i'm not saying there's anything wrong with this, by the way, and in no way do i begrudge this). their lifestyle is rather genteel in nature.

    while my life certainly could be a lot worse, but by comparison to my parents, it has been much more fraught with challenge, obstacles, stress, and strain, due to my choices at least in part, but also due in part to age i am in the time that i'm living in. probably due to a lot of other factors as well. i have chosen to do things which are incongruent with my socionics personality, in my career, in my personal life, in my selection of a marriage partner. my lifestyle is rather picaresque. i believe that i make these choices in order to seek out truths, to reconcile them to one another, and to communicate understanding to others. it's funny entp is known as "the seeker" and i would have to say that i am at my best when playing this role out.

    the infp man that i am seeing right now is the same as i am. he also has felt compelled to go against the flow of his socionics type in many ways, and his life shows that. we don't know the larger purpose of why we do the things we do, except perhaps through contemplation and prayer. so we began to talk about the meaning of this.

    i spoke with my father about he and my mother and whether he felt he needs her for his dual seeking function. he said if it was not for her, then he would almost certainly fall short in his dual seeking area and experience negative consequences. so they have come to depend on one another. when they are parted by death, i expect that the other one will closely follow since they have become so interdependent.

    so my conception of God's plan is that each of us is, in some ways, destined to live out a lifecycle, the meaning of which could be beyond our grasp. the best tcomprehension that i have of God's plan for me is that i am compelled to share the wisdom and humility of my seeking with others. i see this happen almost every day. i am sure that i have already helped to save at least 2 marriages since my divorce a year ago.

    socionics is scientific in that it answers the what and the how of the way we interact with others. the answers to the questions of who and why belong in the realm of the spiritual, which i believe supercedes socionics or man-made explanations of meaning.
    so you're a believer. i'm a believer too but i don't think that God lays a special path for you to follow. rather, he gives you choices. a choice to settle down or further your career. a choice to go to school or travel abroad. a choice to wreck your life or make the best of it. sure some things are beyond our control but God doesn't have final say in everything. that's why we have free will. what would be the point of it all if we didn't. if we were just driftwood. it would be just like the Matrix where you don't choose anything but only have the feeling that you are.

    then again, i think we sometimes (most of the time) create bad habits for ourselves. in turn, these bad habits create patterns which overtake our whole lives and create difficulties and impediments to our personal growth. it is very hard for us to break these patterns. i think it's important not to go against the grain. to not go against nature, our own personal nature which makes us all unique but, at the same time, connects us all. because once you go against the grain, it becomes very hard to break that pattern. if you try it as an experiment, you must keep in mind that it is just that an experiment, and not let it become who you are.

    socionics has helped me understand myself better and accept that i and others are not ever going to be perfect. it helped me understand why i'm so different from my gamma family. i have recognised the ridiculousness of my relations of benefit and supervision. helped me break those chains which acted like censors on my personality. helped me be more myself without any second thought.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by little red riding hood
    so you're a believer. i'm a believer too but i don't think that God lays a special path for you to follow. rather, he gives you choices. a choice to settle down or further your career. a choice to go to school or travel abroad. a choice to wreck your life or make the best of it. sure some things are beyond our control but God doesn't have final say in everything. that's why we have free will. what would be the point of it all if we didn't. if we were just driftwood. it would be just like the Matrix where you don't choose anything but only have the feeling that you are.

    then again, i think we sometimes (most of the time) create bad habits for ourselves. in turn, these bad habits create patterns which overtake our whole lives and create difficulties and impediments to our personal growth. it is very hard for us to break these patterns. i think it's important not to go against the grain. to not go against nature, our own personal nature which makes us all unique but, at the same time, connects us all. because once you go against the grain, it becomes very hard to break that pattern. if you try it as an experiment, you must keep in mind that it is just that an experiment, and not let it become who you are.

    socionics has helped me understand myself better and accept that i and others are not ever going to be perfect. it helped me understand why i'm so different from my gamma family. i have recognised the ridiculousness of my relations of benefit and supervision. helped me break those chains which acted like censors on my personality. helped me be more myself without any second thought.
    +1
    INTp
    sx/sp

  34. #34
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @littleredridinghood: yes i agree esp with the free will part. we definitely do have choices i did not mean to imply we do not.

    i see what you mean about bad habits and going against the grain....any choices i have made have never felt at the time that i was going against the grain. at all. to the contrary, it's important to recognize when something feels like a force-fit and let these options go.

    my understanding of this is more like a hindsight thing: when i look back over my choices and decisions, i see the meaning in them. i understand that God had put me on the road or path i am on....and i am driving the car on this path. :wink:

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  35. #35
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It has helped me to understand why other people are different, and to avoid obvious mistakes when dealing with them.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  36. #36
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    more thoughts on choice:

    what ways have we of explaining the status of the poor, the destitute, the mentally ill, the addicted, the down and out, and of whole impoverished nations? is this due to choice? i think not. it has to be part of God's plan. if God is all-knowing and all powerful, then he already knows the outcome. of everything.

    this does not alleviate us of personal responsibility for choices by any means. you can't just do nothing and expect God to rescue you. God did indeed give us free will.

    the words of the Serenity Prayer come to mind:

    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

    the courage to change the things I can

    and the wisdom to know the difference."

    'nuff said about that piece it is exquisitely truthful.

    on struggle, stress, and strain:

    the struggle is what makes life worth living!! i would not trade my picaresque life for my father's genteel in any case. i have needed to thoroughly live through the lessons of my life and wear my scars from this with honor. any decision i've made i stand behind with courage and conviction. the path of the few is a hard one to walk indeed.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I stumbled upon (great plug-in, obviously) MBTI at a very serendipitous moment in my life. I was becoming extremely frustrated with my apparent inability to understand and deal with people (women). I was convinced that there had to be an objective way to categorize people and that my interactions with people were more or less formulaic. Furthermore, since interactions are formulaic, I should be able to learn the nuanced dynamics thereof in order to create and maintain relationships at my own discretion. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I discovered MBTI type theory, and researched it with much zeal; it became apparent rather quickly that socionics was a better theory, but I would never have known without my initial exposure to MBTI.

    Firstly, socionics enabled me to better understand myself, and the way I operate. It was exciting to know that there were other people who dealt with the world like me, and I eventually came to realize that several of my close friends are also INTp.

    Secondly (and most gratefully), socionics enabled me to better understand people (women)!

    So, yeah, socionics rules; my life has become much more enjoyable, because I now understand why people aren't as cool as me
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

    Drum 'n' Bass head

    GorillaSound.net

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics has definitely helped me out in lotsa ways

    *It's much easier for me to understand why people are doing things I would never do.
    *It helps me not piss people off.
    *I find myself figuring out everyone's type! Even the waiter or waitress's type at a restaurant (I'm obsessed)
    *If it wasn't for socionics, I probably would have just thought a lot of people were boring
    *It's helped me figure out my career/and help friends find their best one*
    *In dating it's been especially helpful!!
    *I now realize that some people will find me annoying no matter what. I couldn't accept not being liked before I learned about this stuff.
    *in conclusion, I LOVE socionics. And I think about it several times a day.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    It has helped me to understand people better...for example, instead of calling my ex a "f*cking a*shole prick!!!!", I realize that he was just an ISTJ and then it all makes sense.

    Maybe he is an ISTj and a f*cking a*shole prick too? That sometimes happens.

    Socionics has not really helped me much. I cannot find myself making excusing for certain behaviors because it is perhaps related to a polr issue. My own weakness I feel I should work hard to manage or eliminate and that I should not try to make excuses or even try to find a ton of explanations for why I am weak in the areas I am weak in. Relationships just do not go like socionics says they should in many cases; relationships are too dependent on a lot of other factors to work or not work well to state the obvious. I believe even conflictors with certain qualities in common can have a far better relationship than duals without certain commonalities and world view. This makes the whole intertype relations thing far too complicated to be all that useful to me.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

  40. #40
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it gives me a way to categorize people, and something to think about during introductions.
    asd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •