Thread: An Observation

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An Observation

NTs - the theorisers and developers of ideas in and of society; those that propel the best way of living; philosophers and scientists

STs - the doers and the guardians of ideas and theories which are put forward by NTs; politicians, lawyers, doctors and teachers

NFs - those that take care of the spiritual and artistic aspects of life in a society; the inspirational figures; artists and icons

SFs - those that ensure peace, stability and harmony among the individuals in a society; the mediators, social workers, councillors and coaches

This is only a very rough outline - it doesn't purport that any one grouped type is bound to that particular area (we've seen NF politicians, NT lawyers, ST scientists and SF artists), nor does it explain that some individuals are wrecklessly unhealthy and are portrayed here nothing like they are in reality.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no.

Creepy-bg

bah... I hate the unhealthy word. Who's to decide that some people are wrecklessly unhealthy? It's a bogus label. I know that's got nothing to do with what the post was about but I'm on a holy war against people using that word to describe others. It makes me semi-angry just seeing it. More often than not it's a sign of somebody who feels themselves intellectually or phsychologically superior to others. (not that I'm saying that describes you)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't I just read in another thread that you figure you're Democratic > Aristocratic? Because this looks like an Aristocratic post to me.

I think the SF and NF ones are pretty far off regardless. I don't know about the other two.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: An Observation

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    NTs - the theorisers and developers of ideas in and of society; those that propel the best way of living; philosophers and scientists

STs - the doers and the guardians of ideas and theories which are put forward by NTs; politicians, lawyers, doctors and teachers

NFs - those that take care of the spiritual and artistic aspects of life in a society; the inspirational figures; artists and icons

SFs - those that ensure peace, stability and harmony among the individuals in a society; the mediators, social workers, councillors and coaches

This is only a very rough outline - it doesn't purport that any one grouped type is bound to that particular area (we've seen NF politicians, NT lawyers, ST scientists and SF artists), nor does it explain that some individuals are wrecklessly unhealthy and are portrayed here nothing like they are in reality.
    Have you ever looked into the clubs: http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Club?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Didn't I just read in another thread that you figure you're Democratic > Aristocratic? Because this looks like an Aristocratic post to me.
    Ah yeah, I see what you mean. It is a bit. About groups as opposed to individuals.

The thing is, I see Aristocrats as basically prejudice i.e. he dresses and talks like a chav so he is a chav, or, worse, he looks like a chav and so must be everything that every single person who represents what he seems to represent is. This is just plain ill reasoning, and it's not an open-minded enough stance to take. This is what makes me shy away from Aristocracy.

But take Augusta. As an ILI, she was a supposed Democrat. Nonetheless, the whole theory of socionics is founded on the type of theories that I just came up with.

I think the SF and NF ones are pretty far off regardless.
    Where would you place them?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: An Observation

Quote Originally Posted by Logos

Have you ever looked into the clubs: http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Club?
    I have indeed. This is partly what I based my theory on.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yeah, I see what you mean. It is a bit. About groups as opposed to individuals.

The thing is, I see Aristocrats as basically prejudice i.e. he dresses and talks like a chav so he is a chav, or, worse, he looks like a chav and so must be everything that every single person who represents what he seems to represent is. This is just plain ill reasoning, and it's not an open-minded enough stance to take. This is what makes me shy away from Aristocracy.

But take Augusta. As an ILI, she was a supposed Democrat. Nonetheless, the whole theory of socionics is founded on the type of theories that I just came up with.

That is a stereotype about Aristocracy, and not really what it's like, and that is a perfect example of why it isn't useful to type by dichotomies.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-bg

That is a stereotype about Aristocracy, and not really what it's like, and that is a perfect example of why it isn't useful to type by dichotomies.
    are you saying that he has an aristocratic view of Aristocracy?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to BG

I had the exact same opinion - that I could not possibly be Aristocratic. And for the same reasons. But if you get past the words and the images they conjure up, and the stereotypes associated culturally with those words, and beyond the idea that grouping means stereotyping, which Socionics Aristocracy isn't about, I can see how I could be labeled as Aristocratic. Actually, the first problem with this dichotomy is how poorly it's named.

I have seen this described well but I don't remember where or how. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to be fair, none of the dichotomies are that simple; as for Aristocracy there is a different Beta and a Delta manifestation of it.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Well to be fair, none of the dichotomies are that simple; as for Aristocracy there is a different Beta and a Delta manifestation of it.
    Yeah, exactly! People are trying to type themselves off of this and I just don't think it's a good idea. They are very complicated, and they can show up differently in different types, and they're badly named, etc. It's an awful way to type.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I didn't just look at the name - I looked at how it manifests itself in people too.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Augusta was ILE, not ILI.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I didn't just look at the name - I looked at how it manifests itself in people too.
    Not if this is what you think it is:

-Mark Twain

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clubs on their own are pretty crappy to work with. Clubs and Quadras (Beta ST Alpha NT etc.) are much easier to work with.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ezra: read this thread

I don't know if that'll make things clearer or more confused though.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is faster and easier to read:

Aristocracy and Democracy
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that is Aristocracy! Look:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikisocion
    Aristocrats

1. Inclined to perceive and define themselves, and others, through groups they belong to; however, such groups are perceived and defined by the Aristocrats themselves, not necessarily accepting those groupings as defined by others or by social conventions.
    2. Their initial attitude to another person is influenced by their attitude to the group they see the person as belonging to.
    3. Tend to attribute common qualities to members of their circles of contacts, and define such circles by those same qualities.
    4. Inclined to use expressions that generalize group features.
    5. In collective hierarchical structures (as in work, organizations, etc) inclined to pay little attention to a person's official position in that structure.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Augusta was ILE, not ILI.
    That doesn't change what I said about her - she's still Democratic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is faster and easier to read:

Aristocracy and Democracy
    This is where I derived my information from in the first place. It's a common misconception that I introduce a theory or idea without having first considered the facts.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aristocrats

1. Inclined to perceive and define themselves, and others, through groups they belong to; however, such groups are perceived and defined by the Aristocrats themselves, not necessarily accepting those groupings as defined by others or by social conventions.
    2. Their initial attitude to another person is influenced by their attitude to the group they see the person as belonging to.
    3. Tend to attribute common qualities to members of their circles of contacts, and define such circles by those same qualities.
    5. In collective hierarchical structures (as in work, organizations, etc) inclined to pay little attention to a person's official position in that structure.
    First, I don't know what a "chav" is. I assume it's some British thing?

But it isn't like that. It's more like, someone says he's going to introduce me to someone, and he knows this person because they were in the same fraternity in college. I think, "a frat boy? Great." But then I meet the guy and he's OK. So my initial reaction is that he's going to be a certain way because he's a frat boy, but I don't hold onto that when I meet him. And it isn't that I say someone dresses like something therefore he'll be like something, it's backward from that. I hear someone is in some group, and I guess things because he/she belongs to that group. Not that I see a quality and assume a group based on the quality. Also, someone else's group means nothing to me - in fact I usually react negatively toward traditional societal stereotypes. I make my own groups based on my own experiences.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I am not Aristocratic if that's what Aristocracy is.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's how it works for me and I'm Delta. I'm not Beta so I can't describe that version but as I understand it it's different. I have no idea how different.
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-bg

a chav is sorta like a ******... Englands version of hip-hop white trash... sorta... You ever see the Ali-G character? that's a characature of a chav.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    a chav is sorta like a ******... Englands version of hip-hop white trash... sorta...
    Kind of.

A chav is essentially what rose out of the council-housing estates and flats in the early '90s. They look like this (notice said residences in the background):

And more recently, this (they scrapped the Burberry):

Some believe 'Chav' is an acronym for 'Council-House Associated Vermin'.

They have a fucking awful reputation in the UK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's how it works for me and I'm Delta. I'm not Beta so I can't describe that version but as I understand it it's different. I have no idea how different.
    I'd be interested to know. Let me know if you find out.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[NTs, STs, NFs, SFs] = [theorists, developers of ideas, promoters of better ways of living, philosophers, scientists, doers, guardians of ideas and theories, politicians, lawyers, doctors, teachers, spiritualists, artists, inspirational figures, icons, peace makers, mediators, social workers, councilors, coaches, astronauts, lunatics, luddites, oatmeal eaters, cookie monsters, animal lovers, athletes, goat herders, truck drivers, gambling addicts, miniture golf champions, people who sing off key in their showers, whiners, alcoholics, arctic explorers, mimes, thieves, pianists, etc. etc.]

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    [NTs, STs, NFs, SFs] = [theorists, developers of ideas, promoters of better ways of living, philosophers, scientists, doers, guardians of ideas and theories, politicians, lawyers, doctors, teachers, spiritualists, artists, inspirational figures, icons, peace makers, mediators, social workers, councilors, coaches, astronauts, lunatics, luddites, oatmeal eaters, cookie monsters, animal lovers, athletes, goat herders, truck drivers, gambling addicts, miniture golf champions, people who sing off key in their showers, whiners, alcoholics, arctic explorers, mimes, thieves, pianists, etc. etc.]
    what about drug addicts

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awwww, I tried to be representative of everyone. Drug addicts are just going to have to fall under "etc. etc." or "alcoholics"...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aristocrats

What you described is a particular form of Aristocracy, a "primitive" or "extreme" form of it. As the description above says, "such groups are perceived and defined by the Aristocrats themselves, not necessarily accepting those groupings as defined by others or by social conventions." So some Aristocrats might indeed classify people into "chav" and "not chav"; many others wouldn't.

For instance, Ezra, you yourself classified the forum users into "serious socionists" and "bored people just using socionics to give some meaning to their lives" etc. This could be seen as a manifestation of Aristocracy.

Moreover, Aristocracy, as defined by Reinin and Augusta, is merely a grouping of types that have the following blocks: + , + , + , + . Augusta deduced, or observed, behavior traits specific to each of those. "Aristocracy" was the one she seemed to regard as most typical.

Having said that, I don't think that particular dichotomy is useful for self-typing, precisely because people tend to associate it with the kind of social prejudice you have just mentioned, and obviously do not want to associate themselves with it. Rightly so in my opinion.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    Some believe 'Chav' is an acronym for 'Council-House Associated Vermin'.

They have a fucking awful reputation in the UK.
    called knackers in ireland.
    What, testicles? Hahaha. They're called Neds in Scotland.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    For instance, Ezra, you yourself classified the forum users into "serious socionists" and "bored people just using socionics to give some meaning to their lives" etc. This could be seen as a manifestation of Aristocracy.
    Perhaps I am Aristocratic after all.