Thread: neutral towards body

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default neutral towards body

which types are most apt to approach the physical body very matter-of-factly? in a conversation with a friend today, i suppose i compared vomiting to having sex (as just something the body naturally does) and it was apparently a humorous thing to him. i was not trying to be funny, but just suggesting that it is sometimes necessary to reduce the body to it's smallest physical parts so that you can understand how it functions as whole.

for purposes of this thread, besides sex, i would include the ease with which i do supposedly "disgusting" things. i've never had any problem whatsoever dealing with people who are injured, showering people, changing feminine products, wiping butts, changing catheters, etc. i do not like the task or hate it. i just do it. also, i tend to find jokes which minimize or make fun of the seriousness of some physical ailment / act quite funny and may on occasion offend people who have that ailment or have done that act.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: neutral towards body

are you familiar with this approach?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ixxp ime.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the general consensus is that Si-ego types are the most likely ones able to discuss things relating to the body and to be otherwise tolerant of matters relating to it. How true this is in reality.. I'm not too sure, although IME ISFjs seem to be able to tolerate such matters if necessary.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    I think the general consensus is that Si-ego types are the most likely ones able to discuss things relating to the body and to be otherwise tolerant of matters relating to it. How true this is in reality.. I'm not too sure, although IME ISFjs seem to be able to tolerate such matters if necessary.
    Hm, well my point was more that I can discuss these things, but generally prefer to downplay their importance. i will only discuss them clinically or humorously and would rarely enter into a serious, draining, potentially embarrassing conversation on any matter pertaining to the body. so this translates into needing to feel some control over the conversation -- at least the ability to steer it in the direction i want (the non embarrassing, matter-of -fact one). as soon as somebody seems to desire a different kind of discussion which would require me to seriously talk about myself or my opinions about bodily matters, i drop out. some might say that thinking about how sex = vomit does NOT indicate comfort with sex or talking about it, but more of a childlike inability to take adult matters (or perhaps just ones dealing with sexuality) seriously.

another example i think i've mentioned before: someone tells me i've lost weight. often i do not confirm or deny their suspicion. i usually tell them i have not weighed myself in a long time (whether or not it's true), suggesting that i would not be able to tell by the way my clothes fit. i may tell them that it must be my outfit or something similar. i have even resorted to telling them all the women in my family reached a certain age (*) that they simply lost weight (but again claiming a sort of separation from the cause). people are generally perplexed by this explanation. of course i would prefer to say nothing and walk away unscathed, but these people are not satisfied with no response, so i appease them to avoid awkwardness or accusations of (un)healthiness/ (un)attractiveness, etc. and yes, being told i appear healthy is no better than being told i appear unhealthy. this is also what i mean by neutral.