Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald

I say ENFj.

The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

The idea that to make a man work you've got to hold gold in front of his eyes is a growth, not an axiom. We’ve done that for so long that we've forgotten there’s any other way. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft, where we are hard, cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

He doesn't believe that public swimming-pools and a kind word in time will right the wrongs of the world; moreover, he takes a drink whenever he feels like it. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

A big man has no time really to do anything but just sit and be big. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Here was a new generation, shouting the old cries, learning the old creeds, through a revery of long days and nights; destined finally to go out into that dirty gray turmoil to follow love and pride; a new generation dedicated more than the last to the fear of poverty and the worship of success; grown up to find all Gods dead, all wars fought, all faiths in man shaken. . . . — F. Scott Fitzgerald

I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

I fell in love with her courage, her sincerity, and her flaming self respect. And it's these things I'd believe in, even if the whole world indulged in wild suspicions that she wasn't all she should be. I love her and it is the beginning of everything. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ― F. Scott Fitzgerald

Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Everybody's youth is a dream, a form of chemical madness. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures. — F. Scott Fitzgerald

Last edited by silke; 06-29-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: updated with info
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure.. but his Great Gatsby character was the complete opposite.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something about Beta NF doesn't seem right.

ESTp? Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Creepy-bg

+2 for thehotelambush using the search function

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what's that supposed to mean??

btw, actual input would be appreciated.

Creepy-bg

sorry I'm unedumacated... I know the name but can't say I've ever read anything by him (he's an author right?) The "+2 for using the search function" was in reference to the 50th Einstein thread popping up- not a jab at you

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, ok. He's famous for "The Great Gatsby", which I read sophomore year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._Scott_Fitzgerald

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F.Scott Fitzgerald was a dreamer and a visionary whom wove fantastical visions for himself which he, due to their nature, never lived up to. Sounds like extremely typical ENFj behavior to me.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He and his wife could have both been beta. Maybe ENFj and INFp? Or both ENFj?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Something about Beta NF doesn't seem right.

ESTp? Maybe I'm just imagining things.
    That picture seems ENTP to me.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-IEI 4w3 so. apparently died relatively dissatisfied with himself.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e3? sx/sp

i'm lost on his type. what is he? ILE? EIE? i have no clue...

MTE1ODA0OTcxNjI3Njc3MTk3.jpg

??
    Last edited by lynn; 01-17-2017 at 09:54 PM.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIE?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ESI so/sp 4w3 ("formal" aka sp subtype) ... took a while to get a grip on his type, but yes he is rational, as his bearing suggests, and social first even though many of his quotes seem to deal with sp instinct.

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    ESI so/sp 4w3 ("formal" aka sp subtype)
    there's no way he isn't syn-flow. i've read several of his books (and short stories) and every book would feature a main male character who's sx/sp and the other characters are mostly syn-flow as well (as well as the themes, etc..) the only so/sp character i found was tom buchanan in the great gatsby, who is basically a critique of an so/sp archetype. i don't think someone who is so/sp can come up with that (i read a few novels by an so/sp 4w3 novelist, who could actually be the formal subtype as well, and the writing style was extremely dry and foreign to me, like i didn't understand the underlying dynamics at all, because they were described by someone who looks from the "outside in") there are a lot of literary reviews who emphasise how his books are influenced by his biographical life + experiences (i'm not really sure how much i buy into that), and especially the problem between daisy, gatsby and tom buchanan gets attributed to his relationship with his first love and her controlling father (who sometimes gets associated with tom buchanan). basically all of his books revolve first and foremost around the love life of an idealized sx/sp character (who always loses the girl) and his quest of getting rich (and successful) and the social sphere ist mostly some kind of glamorous backdrop. so, he's most certainly some kind of syn-flow stacking. i personally think he's seducer sx/sp. his lifestyle has been described as 'excessive' btw.

i guess you can actually read the great gatsby as a social critique, but the only social critique in it is that the social firsts (tom and daisy) are selfish, vapid and shallow and are responsible for others people (emotional) suffering.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Ni-IEI 4w3 so
    +2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever he was, he had quite the hurricane marriage with Zelda whom I suspect to be IEI. He wouldn't allow her to publish stories about their marriage as they were "his" material. He had a love-hate relationship with Hemingway who was most likely LSI.

Fitzgerald was widely known for his drunken public appearances and his attempt to live the very lifestyle that he criticized in Great Gatsby. It's funny that in his younger years he seemed to be like Gatsby, but in small ways became like Tom.

XIE 3w4 Sx/SP is a good guess with me leaning slightly towards EIE.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seemed like an EIE to me with alcohol problems, and other problems…

He had a vision he was going to be a great writer, loved the finer things in life. Riches. And loved partying and being all rambunctious with his wifey.

Seemed extroverted and too motivated to be 1D Se, and too driven by his vision and love of riches and a rambunctious environment to be a Ne/Si type.

I guess I could also see him being some disturbed LSI.

kinda think him and his wife were EIE and were pretty toxic for each other as opposed to complimenting dualzies
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unusually intelligent with a keen interest in literature.

Determined to be a successful writer.

Despite great distance, Fitzgerald still attempted to pursue Ginerva.

Fitzgerald purportedly chafed under Eisenhower's authority and disliked him intensely

Even though he was fixated on Ginevra, he was open to dating more women. After Ginevra got married, so did he.

Although several of his friends opposed him marrying Zelda, he still did.

When Fitzgerald's feelings for Zelda were at an all-time low, he remarked to a friend, "I wouldn't care if she died, but I couldn't stand to have anybody else marry her."

Fitzgerald disapproved of the extravagant parties, and the wealthy people he encountered often disappointed him. While striving to emulate the rich, he found their privileged lifestyle morally disquieting.

Something about EIE doesn't seem right. He was definitely an Ethical & Intuitive type. His problems with Eisenhower's authority seems to be a problem with Se. I don't think he's Extroverted. I'm leaning on EII.
    Last edited by hellohellohello; 08-05-2022 at 01:26 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My LSE boss told me he’s read all of Fitzgerald’s books…maybe EIE-fe for Fitzgerald
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 09-25-2022 at 08:30 PM.