Thread: an experiment in Ni views

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default an experiment in Ni views

several years ago, scott adams, the creator of "dilbert" wrote a fiction/non-fiction book called "god's debris" about an unconventional philosophical/spiritual viewpoint.

when the book came out i ignored it. i proceeded to go about my business for several years until i stumbled across a pdf version of the book (totally legal ftr; scott adams made it publicly available out of his own volition). i downloaded it and proceeded to ignore it.

last week i got bored while sitting in a room with a computer and nothing else and decided to read this old thing by scott adams. IMO the whole thing is an excellent example of an NiTe spiritualistic/mostly-but-not-completely-scientific worldview.

read. discuss.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I read it once, I agree on the Ni Te thing.

Nice book

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    Yeah I read it once, I agree on the Ni Te thing.

Nice book
    what do you think about the philosphical/spiritual ideas presented?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the willpower one and I think it needs more work. Both sides have terrible arguments and failed to cover their tracks and explain all the angles. The guy who was in favor of willpower should have easily held control of the discussion. But then most people arguments on philosophical things tend toward the simplicity same as this book. Writes a helluva a comic though, I love Dilbert.

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished it and found it a fasinating read. I enjoyed the novel perspective more than anything else. It definitely shouldn't be taken as an answer or answers; I have yet to pick it apart. The notions were extremely creative and logical. definitely agree that it is Ni-Te. I wonder if this guy considers himself an avatar.

[quote="Tov"]I read the willpower one and I think it needs more work. Both sides have terrible arguments and failed to cover their tracks and explain all the angles. The guy who was in favor of willpower should have easily held control of the discussion. But then most people arguments on philosophical things tend toward the simplicity same as this book. Writes a helluva a comic though, I love Dilbert.[quote]

Yeah, I kind of agree about the willpower. The old man said it was an illusion, people having ranging impulses that needed to be fed or whatever. In retrospect, the argument just seemed to fizzle without ever solidly clarifying that willpower was not a real thing.

either way....very interesting stuff....I'll probably read "The Religion War" now, lol.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not optimistic that other people will jump in (although i'm glad one person did find the book interesting and useful) so i'll drop my views about it:

i think it's incredibly NiTe. at the same time, i disagree with a great deal of the philosophical ideas. for one thing, where the avatar character does an incredible job at challenging many of the typical assumptions that the delivery person has, he accepts the completely unproven ideas that god is omnipotent and omniscient. personally, i can't see the existence of a divine entity in that light at all; any idea of god to me is reflected in the fundamental nature of the universe itself (indeed; it would not be inaccurate to say something along the lines that god is the universe, god is the reason for the universe, and that god is manifested as the border of an infinite universe; alas, i ramble).

the very basic assumption fundamental to the story that god is being reassembled and that people must act as a moral code in order to facilitate the reconstruction of god is contradictory to the very true statements that were made about all morals being completely arbitrary. another faulty assumption is the whole deal with probability being a fundamental force of the universe; indeed; that's not the case at all. probability is a function of what actually happened in the time that we are in and not other times (except for quantum probability, which is a different story) and is thus a function of our dimensional orientation rather than anything else; heads or tails are merely two different points on a 6th dimensional line transverse to two different possible timelines.

the avatar also has a very flawed perception of science, as in when he discusses the magnetic field at a point; that is physical and measurable. there are a lot of other proven scientific concepts which were unhappily trampled upon. i also dislike the willpower discussion.

however, despite these inadequacies there are a couple of key concepts that i enjoyed. they included the whole deal about knowledge being the absence of delusion, the meaninglessness of perspective (as in the package delivered you rather than vice versa). his analysis of other religions and certain metaphysical aspects of life on earth is also very satisfying.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing that i didn't mention is that i got the sense that, despite the bastardizations about the real nature of god, the philosophy was describing the same one controlled universe that i naturally see, just in a different way. this is a sensation i've gotten time to time from other NiTe types and ideas.