View Poll Results: Do you believe your type changes during your life?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it can change multiple times

    3 8.82%
  • Yes

    2 5.88%
  • Probably yes

    2 5.88%
  • I have no clue

    1 2.94%
  • Probably not

    9 26.47%
  • No

    17 50.00%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 445

Thread: Do you believe your type changes during your life?

  1. #1
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Do you believe your type changes during your life?

    Do you believe your type changes during your life?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I mostly do not believe that type changes. At the very least, I don't believe that quadra values change.
    I haven't experienced it in myself nor others I've know for several years.

    So IME, no.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  3. #3
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't know why you say believe - it's simply true that it does, we aren't speaking about god or religion.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  4. #4
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I say believe, because it's an opinion that I ask.

    I hope it's not a confusing word choice...

  5. #5
    Garmonbozia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I believe.

    I also believe in God, The Easter-bunny, and The Tooth Fairy, Fea.

  6. #6
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well it is a hypothesis, so "believe" is the right word after all, I would say.

  7. #7
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But if your type changes, does your VI change too?

    so you change face?

  8. #8
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr
    It is a hypothesis, let's test it out.. how about we remove large portions of brain tissue from well typed personalities and see if their personalities change or not. :wink:
    No the hypothesis that I've read is that your type can change without that brain damage.

    Sorry for replying serious to this joke. :wink:

  9. #9
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of course it is also possible that certain types seemingly undergo change throughout their lives while still retaining the same type, but that they just exhibit the characteristics of other types. An INxj in childhood may seem to be an ENxp, but as they age, they are provided tools by which they are able to strengthen their primary Ji functions. This would also explain why younger boarders of a rational type are generally found to have a perceiving-subtype.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  10. #10
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr
    It is a hypothesis, let's test it out.. how about we remove large portions of brain tissue from well typed personalities and see if their personalities change or not. :wink:
    Well since type behavior is a descriptive theory based upon the behaviors of individuals, which are a a resultant physiological product, it probably could theoretically change if the physiological product changes. But the question then becomes does this mean that type does not change assuming that a person physicality does not change or is affected upon by another physical agent (surgery, cancer, injury etc.). And if such a personality change does occur, should a person's type be described prior to this shift during the assumed period of normalcy or afterwards in their current or final state of being?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  11. #11
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe your life changes over your type, so then it appears that your type changes over your life.

  12. #12
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, I believe in change too.
    When I was a Child and saw my parent split, I used to be more extroverted. I dunno about my change of school (almost every year I changed my school and city).
    In fact, I listened Beta music (Jrock, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Nu metal and A LOT of Hardcore/punk and post-hardcore music) more than now (everday seems to me more soft and light now). Maybe I was an unhealthy SEI, But I believe that I was IEI or EIE.

    I was starting to like my changed life, but one day it is seems that I don't like it anymore, and started to seek my own identity... and
    Here I'm. Trying to understand How I'm and Why.

  13. #13
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I believe your type changes, but I believe changes are very rare and don't deviate much.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Personality != Type

    You can become more "extroverted" or "introverted," but that doesn't mean you change from an Ixxx to an Exxx (or vice-versa). Your type has to do with more than how you act on the surface.

    On the other hand, assuming that socionics type is "real" and that it's grounded in physiological characteristics -- which is no small assumption -- there's no reason to believe that one's type couldn't theoretically change. At least, none that I can see, but I don't exactly have a degree in neuroscience.

    Does anyone have any reason to believe that someone's type couldn't naturally change (other than "I've never seen it happen!")?
    delta nf (?) ... 4w5 (?)

  15. #15
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As I said before, type does not seem to change - like, I do not honestly see myself as "an INTj who morphed into ESTj" - that seems rather absurd. I think Rick's Awakening the Ego article on his site is great. Not everyone meets their dual or a situation where they are needed to be "themselves", and I believe people can compensate for this by developing pseudo personality sets and so on. But I have never seen anyone's type change. I have seen major life changes that bring someones type awareness more fully into their consciousness, but honestly

    ....

    I think a lot of this type changing stuff just stems from people's lack of understanding about socionics types itself, and the limitations of the theory. I thought I had it down -- and I did understand a great deal of it. But in terms of myself, I just based my observations on what I had done in the past, and never understood that I had not been in other situations that needed me to be "who I am". One personal example is being surrounded by caregivers in my upbringing - so until recently I was never needed to be one even though I am one.

    SO part of it is that you need to have real experience in multiple areas, quadras, and life settings to really know your own type, and part of it is lack of understanding. The trouble is, you can only really understand the theory after you back it up with real life experience, consistently. IT is like getting a map and studying it, but never walking the land. Until you walk the land, and compare it to the map, can you tell how accurate the map was, and so on and so fourth. Even more so, the map may be accurate, but you may simply just not know what everything means in relation to yourself.

    ...and so on...
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  16. #16
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    People don't have to change radically. I mean, for example I'm (or was) a lazy person. But now everything I do in life I've taking it more serious than before. I'm more worried about grade, responsability and even, future and work (who isn't anyway? Truth, too lazy and stupid i was). But I believe that people would 'grow up' and change, little by little a bit of their personality. I don't know if this little change would affect in their type, but I trust in someguy pychologist (I read it long time ago -forgot the name anyway) who says that people define their personality around the 24-25 years old.

    Maybe we change by circunstances, but I don't think that everyone born with one personality. Anyway, this last sentences wasn't in discussion.

  17. #17
    MysticSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I'm feeling motivated and geared toward some sort of goal, I tend to believe type changes. If I feel ineffective in attaining things I value and unable to incur any sort of change, it often follows(unconsciously), that I believe type doesn't change. It's something that I've been debating within my head, and I suppose I will until I'm able to change something SIGNIFICANT about myself. It seems unlikely that type is able to change, as I've noticed very few people whom have had such a change, a change I cannot even come close to verifying.

    But I know for certain that there is something whole, something almost undefinable, and incredibly abstract, that lays inside myself and is the center for all of my actions and desires. This self, this essence, is what I think is unchangeable. The closer something is related to one's essence, the harder it will be to change that facet of one's self. Type appears to be one of those things, and, if common Socionic theory and self-held intuitions holds true, is directly related and caused by one's essence, which would in turn, at least imply, that type is unchangeable. But, who knows?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

    "Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

  18. #18
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh wait true, Jarno has forgotten to specify something

    type changes only into IP IJ EJ EP temperament.

    Nobody can really become more extraverted - but you can become costruct-creating and negativist from emotion-creating positivist. And that would probably make you score 50 points less in the E factor of an MBTI test (but wouldn't change your being an IJ or EJ).

    I still don't understand what's the problem in accepting this fact. It doesn't change the validity of socionics - in fact, gives the possibility of explaining a whole new set of phenomena that cannot easily be accounted for if we consider type to be fixed.

    If I'm feeling motivated and geared toward some sort of goal, I tend to believe type changes.
    You mean you become an empowered accepting-ti? :wink:

    I've been through different stages of my life being a different person. As a kid, I was more of a positivst than now, but i also was tactics over strategy. maybe I was an ESFj? I remember getting along greatly with this ISFp guy. Now we get along decently but there isn't that sinchronicity. The during adolescence I isolated myself for 2 years, except for going to school I did nothing except exercising and studying. I didn't feel bad at all. I was always extremely calm, but there wasn't really many thoughts in my head. I also became very close friends with an ENFp-Fi girl. Or maybe ENFj-Ni.

    I came out of it as a very Te, or very Ti, depending on whether you see me as EP or EJ. I also would rarely give compliments, but I gave away money freely. Now I have gone back to being more talkative and bothersom. Those changes are very obvious to me and the change during adolescence was striking for most people that knew me. I can't believe I've remained the same all the way though.

    SO part of it is that you need to have real experience in multiple areas, quadras, and life settings to really know your own type, and part of it is lack of understanding.
    What about it being backwards? That is, changes in type determine the quadras, life settings, and experiences you tend to partake in. The direction of causality is not so obvious.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  19. #19
    Danielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think a lot of this type changing stuff just stems from people's lack of understanding about socionics types itself, and the limitations of the theory.
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Because every time people present evidence that "type changes", the evidence is always "I used to act differently than I do now". This evidence is weak. Oh, it's strong in that person's life. But in the grand scheme of things, it is weak. And it changes the meaning of type. I guess if type changes, then the 16 types are just types that anyone can assume. So today I'm an INFj, tomorrow I'm an ESTp. To me, that completely dilutes the whole thing. Then there is no constant, except maybe "there are 16 different personalities people can choose from" or something like that. And if that's the case, who cares? What is the point of Socionics?

    Intertype relations are then no good, because one day your dual might really be your dual, and tomorrow, she's your conflict and that's that. Next year, she's your supervisor. Intertype relations aren't really explaining anything anymore. Could just as easily be a bad mood than intertype relations. No more Quadras either, not if today I'm Gamma and tomorrow I'm Alpha. This week I'm comfortable around my little group of friends, next month I'm jumping out of my skin and completely ill at ease. Today, you and I mirror one another. In six months, we've become duals. Wait, that sounds nice actually. And it also sounds a bit like a psychotic break. How could anyone tell the difference? Maybe there are no types. Maybe it's all just mood.
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

  20. #20
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Maybe your life changes over your type, so then it appears that your type changes over your life.
    Bravo! I love this quote.


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

  21. #21
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Because every time people present evidence that "type changes", the evidence is always "I used to act differently than I do now". This evidence is weak. Oh, it's strong in that person's life. But in the grand scheme of things, it is weak. And it changes the meaning of type. I guess if type changes, then the 16 types are just types that anyone can assume. So today I'm an INFj, tomorrow I'm an ESTp. To me, that completely dilutes the whole thing. Then there is no constant, except maybe "there are 16 different personalities people can choose from" or something like that. And if that's the case, who cares? What is the point of Socionics?

    Intertype relations are then no good, because one day your dual might really be your dual, and tomorrow, she's your conflict and that's that. Next year, she's your supervisor. Intertype relations aren't really explaining anything anymore. Could just as easily be a bad mood than intertype relations. No more Quadras either, not if today I'm Gamma and tomorrow I'm Alpha. This week I'm comfortable around my little group of friends, next month I'm jumping out of my skin and completely ill at ease. Today, you and I mirror one another. In six months, we've become duals. Wait, that sounds nice actually. And it also sounds a bit like a psychotic break. How could anyone tell the difference? Maybe there are no types. Maybe it's all just mood.
    I fully agree with you.

    However, for the record, what FDG and others mean with "type change" is not about shifting from INFj to ESTp overnight.

    But I personally don't believe type changes. Your personality may change, yes, in the sense of a very quiet person becoming more talkative and the like. But that's not type change.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  22. #22
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't have an opinion one way or another about whether type changes or not.
    I do believe, however, that outside perceptions of a person's type can change. A person's behavior/focus can change. And that a person can develop awareness and/or skills involving different functions in order to compensate or enhance one's natural tendencies.

    As a young girl, I had to develop a hyper-awareness of Fe from my SeFi father. I also had to do a lot of anticipation of when his moods would suddenly switch, and which behaviors might be the consequence. Whether I was successful or not doesn't matter. It was unnatural for me, and was a very stressful time in my life. It also left me with an unnatural and painful awareness of Fe. Yet, even then I preferred Fi/Te over Ti/Fe.

    I've always preferred Ne over Se, but I've learned that there are times when my best chances of survival is a focus on Se. But even then, it's NeFi primary, with Se (or whatever function I'm focusing on) being a tertiary type thing.

    Many people have accused me of being NeTi…despite my attempts to tell them that no, any Ti you see is an illusion done by attempting to Te my NeFi for the purpose at hand.

    I agree, it's not normal for an NeFi to develop self awareness of their thinking processes. But considering the actions I had to take to overcome certain emotional/mood disorders, it makes sense to those who know me. And those who know me are also aware of the negative consequences to my natural self from those actions I had to take.

    So, while outside perceptions of my type may change depending on the "perceiver", my external behavior, and the situation…..Through them all underlies my NeFi approach.

    Can that natural approach change into developing a different natural approach?
    I have no idea. But I think it would be harder to develop a different natural approach than it would be to alter lifelong habits.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  23. #23
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Many people have accused me of being NeTi…despite my attempts to tell them that no, any Ti you see is an illusion done by attempting to Te my NeFi for the purpose at hand.
    Why do you call it an accusation? It's not like there's anything particularly wrong with NeTi.
    You can't think of any reasons why an NeFi might find it offensive to be called an NeTi?
    or why an NeFi might find it offensive to be told that surely they have an Fi polr??
    or why an NeFi might find it offensive to be told that their polr should, in fact, be their creative??

    And as a reminder:
    How would a musician who started out with classes and practices a lot feel if someone dismissed their efforts and years of work with the comment "oh, you're so good at music just because you were born with the talent"?

    How do you think an NeFi would feel if s/he studies, puts a lot of work into something, often has people check over hir work to see if it makes any sense, has a history of being put down and laughed at due to hir poor logic abilities...and then being told that all this should be more natural to hir....that it should be an inborn trait. ?

    Yes, I consider it an accusation. It accuses me of being flat out stupid and quite possibly retarded. It accuses me of being a "Phaedrus" that writes so much misleading information into this forum. It accuses me of having wasted not only my time and efforts, but the time of anyone on this forum who has ever read anything I've written. It accuses me of not having a single clue about socionics. It diminishes my efforts, it diminishes my thoughts, it diminishes my experiences, it diminishes my self-expressions...in essence, it diminishes ME. It accuses me of not being ME.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  24. #24
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Yes, I consider it an accusation. It accuses me of being flat out stupid and quite possibly retarded. It accuses me of being a "Phaedrus" that writes so much misleading information into this forum. It accuses me of having wasted not only my time and efforts, but the time of anyone on this forum who has ever read anything I've written. It accuses me of not having a single clue about socionics. It diminishes my efforts, it diminishes my thoughts, it diminishes my experiences, it diminishes my self-expressions...in essence, it diminishes ME. It accuses me of not being ME.
    I seriously doubt that anyone sees you that way, regardless of what they think your type is. If you are in fact NeTi (hypothetically, just so I can make my point), then that would be the only thing you would have in common with Phaedrus -- having your type wrong -- and that is plainly obvious. I'm certain you would have just as much credibility (you certainly would in my eyes, anyway).

    But can I ask -- do you feel that way about people who later realise they're a type other than the one they originally suspected?
    For starters, it has to do with how an NFp would process this theory known as socionics. NiFe does it a little differently than NeFi, but both of them look to see how it applies to their own lives, their own observations, their own experiences, etc. You know...abstract base personalized creative, implicit all around?? NiFe seem to focus more on the intertype relations how that fits in on a personal note. (abstract connections personalizing the concepts). NeFi focuses more on either the "types" or the "functions" and personalizes the connections...you know...Fi.

    So no, it's not just having a type wrong. It includes all of my understandings of socionics, and thus includes everything I've ever written about socionics.

    You're focusing only on what other people think of me...and ignoring the personalized connections....taking the person out of personality so to say. You're ignoring the issues I run into, the things I have to work around, the efforts I make, etc.

    I may not lose credibility in YOUR eyes....but not only do I lose credibility in MY eyes...but it means that I really am stupid or retarded because I just can't seem to NeTi stuff.

    As for other people, them changing their own types could be due to any number of factors, the vast majority of which I'll never be aware of. Who am I to judge them?

    The only people I had major issues with their self-typings have been Phaedrus, Joy (particularly due to her constant changing and flexibility in fitting herself into the type of the moment), Kristiina at one point (but no longer...and I'm disappointed in myself regarding my attitude towards her at that time). I may internally question someone's typing of themselves..I may see them as some other type than they see themselves...but I still look to see how the type they claim could do the things they do, or have the motivations they have, or the perceptions they have, or what are they moving towards or away from by doing whatever, etc etc. I admit to not being able to do that with Phaedrus. And I've given up trying to understand Joy. She's just Joy to me.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    Ann,

    I had similar problems when I took a psychometrics course in college. I got INFJ on the MBTI. My role model growing up was my mother, so INFJ was definitely something I considered socially desirable.

    I was very young and still in the process of developing an identity. I mistook the results as telling me that others saw me as INFJ. In interpreting the results I took the position that "I am INFJ and incompetent". The instructor was somewhat disturbed by this interpretation.

    Next we did the WAIS. The instructor was polite enough not to draw attention to me, but in the process of bringing my score to the attention of the class she made a comment. I think it was intended it to boost my self-esteem after the previous paper. She said something along the line that the person who had gotten that score could achieve anything they set their minds to achieving. When interpreting the results I took the position that "I am INFJ and incompetent, and there is no justification for my incompetence."

    By the time the instructor realized what was happening it was too late. Knowing that I was incompetent was hard enough. But I couldn’t even fall back on any reasoning like "I'm stupid" or "I'm retarded". There was absolutely no reason for my incompetence. It was just too much. I dropped out of school and went through a long period of depression.

    As an INFJ I was incompetent. I had difficulty setting goals. And I had spent my whole life trying to find something to believe in. Ultimately I came to understand that it is in my nature to explore and that my strength is in my ability to overcome resistance to change, not in my ability to actively resist change as my mother does. The thing is, whatever type I perceive myself as, if it is not INFP then I have to accept that I am incompetent with regards to some form of resistance to change.
    And that's exactly the point. If you "aren't your type", you don't have confidence in yourself. You could theoretically act as a different type, but why would you? Certainly those inward decisions to act your type can be correlated with chemical reactions in the brain, even if we do not yet have the means to affirm this.

    I can't help but think that you would be a completely different person if you *geniuinely* changed type. At the very least, nothing you previously believed would make sense.

  26. #26
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have felt pressure to change type on more than one occasion in life. It's not a positive or enjoyable feeling. It's like being forced to admit you had been wrong your entire life and only just began to 'get it'... It seems to me that if it is possible to actually make the shift it would strictly happen under pressure and not at the volition of the person in question, nor would the person initially feel good about the change occuring. Hence, it would not happen unless such a change was really necessary to preserve the health of the individual.

    Mostly I 'feel like' changing type when I am in environments where the 'positivism' element dominates, eg. people doing their own, arbitrarily chosen things, having personal hobbies and interests, revelling in being unique and 'special'. Negativism, from what I can tell, is about forgoing such qualities in favor of more elementary pursuits that are of a more lasting value.

  27. #27
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't help but think that you would be a completely different person if you *geniuinely* changed type. At the very least, nothing you previously believed would make sense.
    Good point. The need for a consistently structured memory could well be the reason why we have types. I'm making notes.

  28. #28
    escaping anndelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    WA
    TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Posts
    6,329
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr
    Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95
    maybe a large part of the population's confidence is in their well-roundedness and ability to use and value a variety of coping mechanisms?? no surprise to me though that people on a personality forum have sentiments towards hard-wired individuality.. maybe people who aren't confident in their well-roundedness tend to alternatively attach "meaningfulness" to being unique.
    I believe valuing attaches a meaningfulness to being unique.

    Like you ask a room of people who in the room who is a conformist... and there is only one guy that raises his hand.

    :wink:
    what about when you ask a room of people who in the room are non-conformists...and one guy raises his hand..then another guy, then a couple of girls, then a handful of other people until all but one person has their hand raised.?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

  29. #29
    meatburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A Quazar named Northern Territory
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think its easy for some thinkers to think its possible for them to be feelers. They perhaps think that if they can socialise, smile more, feel peoples emotions more then they can get more Fe/Fi.

    Its starkly obvious to me as a feeler that i cant really obtain better thinking functions. Sure i can hone my brain to be a little better at logic, mathematics etc but im really just working within the boundaries of what my functions will allow.

    So at the moment im a little quiet and i dont go out much. That doesn't make me an Introvert. That makes me an Extravert who has travelled off the garden path.

    I think Lokis quote is perfect, its your life and mood changes that make it appear like you can change.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

    "And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

  30. #30
    Dioklecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    4,304
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do you believe your type changes during your life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    Do you believe your type changes during your life?
    Nope.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

  31. #31
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Proof that type can change

    If type couldn't change then there would be no such thing as Dissociative identity disorder. Same brain, different types.

    [web:787634caa1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder[/web:787634caa1]

  32. #32
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Personality type and psychological type are not the same thing.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,833
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Proof that type can change

    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    If type couldn't change then there would be no such thing as Dissociative identity disorder. Same brain, different types.
    I don't think there is any example (correct me if I'm wrong) of a person that was born with DID. And why can't we explain the other personalities by saying that they are "deviations", "roles" played by the person's inborn type? Or do you really think that the person's whole brain structure changes every time there is a shift of personality?

  34. #34
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I see this as evidence of a complete change of IM.

  35. #35
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, and how many people who think their types have changed do you think actually have DID?

  36. #36
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carla
    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca
    I see this as evidence of a complete change of IM.
    Or just misfiring neurons. If "type" is associated with the way neurons are connected up in your brain, then a misfiring neuron, or a drug that alters the neural transmitter concentration, or a major head trauma, for example, will change or alter one's "type".

    But I'm thinking if there's something in our DNA that "tells" the "type determining" neurons how to connect up, then type in a "healthy" individual won't change.
    So basically you say the cohesive forces that hold up the type within our brain have failed in this cases but they normally don't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    what a crap proof to a crap statement.
    And what a splendid counter argument it is. Can you explain how it is possible to generate two diametrically opposite personalities with the same IM? I think it's quite necessary that there be at least two separate IM-s for those types of personalities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Yes, and how many people who think their types have changed do you think actually have DID?
    Uhm... none unless they have DID?

  37. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Doesn't mean an overtaking of type, just a momentary possession by the shadow or the anima. Of course, one would have little ability to understand one's previous reasoning under a type change, therefore a change in type would entail a total change in personality. Your type would not be changing; rather, YOU would be changing in response to the change of your type.

    The question to ask is not whether type changes as a function of the brain (it obviously can if the brain's structure allows for it), but under what conditions it does given the innate potential thereto.

    I should say that the prevalence numbers mentioned in this article are very suspect.

  38. #38
    detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    Yes, and how many people who think their types have changed do you think actually have DID?
    What does it have to do with the point?

  39. #39
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the title of this topic suggests that types can change. that's why i have a problem with it.

    a type won't change unless some severe mental illness or accident. did is a severe mental illness.

  40. #40
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    the title of this topic suggests that types can change. that's why i have a problem with it.

    a type won't change unless some severe mental illness or accident. did is a severe mental illness.
    I agree that type change is hard and unlikely (I don't think type changes during a person's lifetime) but I just wanted to show that it's not impossible.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •