Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Te argument?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Te argument?

    Seems that Te peoeple favor using this argument:

    "don't you think that more people would do x if x were true? " this is supposed to mean that x is not true.

    I just seem to notice that Te people tend to do this a lot.

  2. #2
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it illustrates a good, practical point, but I probably wouldn't use it unless I was being sloppy.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  3. #3
    Quirk Satellite Div.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is very ambiguous wording. Could you please expand upon your point? I think I know what you mean, but I don't believe its as clear cut as what you suggest.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

    Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

    Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quirk, here's a more concrete example, which is completely fictional and did not happen even though I have another thread on spiders. I have no idea if chestnuts actually work.

    Person 1: I will use chestnuts in my window sill to keep my home spider free. Someone told me this works and it will.

    Person 2 proposed Te response: Don't you think everyone in this spider filled town would be using chestnuts if they worked? They obviously don't.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Quirk, here's a more concrete example, which is completely fictional and did not happen even though I have another thread on spiders. I have no idea if chestnuts actually work.

    Person 1: I will use chestnuts in my window sill to keep my home spider free. Someone told me this works and it will.

    Person 2 proposed Te response: Don't you think everyone in this spider filled town would be using chestnuts if they worked? They obviously don't.
    No, that's not what Te is. Socionics has lots of funny notions about Te, many of which are amplified on this forum.

    But I have heard people talk like this before, and I agree it's annoying. What you're talking about is a certain close-minded, conformist attitude. I suspect that it's not really type-related.

  6. #6
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That sounds more like poor use of Te to me.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  7. #7
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Te argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Seems that Te peoeple favor using this argument:

    "don't you think that more people would do x if x were true? " this is supposed to mean that x is not true.

    I just seem to notice that Te people tend to do this a lot.
    i really don't know how this is Te.

    i'm applying this in my head and it just seems actually sort of like what jonathan said, just a very conformist, close minded attitude. there are plenty of people out there who do this who aren't Te. i can't really relate it to a type or a function, either.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I guess I'll give you this much: It's phrased in a Te way. So if someone were using Te, though poorly, and had a conformist attitude, that person might say that statement. A non-Te (possibly more Fe) way of getting across the same sentiment is "Why can't you just be like everyone else?" However, I agree with implied that I've also heard a lot of non-Te types phrase it in the quasi-Te way.

  9. #9
    detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's more anti- than IMO.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    I guess I'll give you this much: It's phrased in a Te way. So if someone were using Te, though poorly, and had a conformist attitude, that person might say that statement. A non-Te (possibly more Fe) way of getting across the same sentiment is "Why can't you just be like everyone else?" However, I agree with implied that I've also heard a lot of non-Te types phrase it in the quasi-Te way.
    that makes sense.

  11. #11
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's just a pointless attempt at encouraging objectivity. Bad persuasion technique. Saying that to someone isn't going to broaden their perspective when they're trying to make a real decision.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    That's just a pointless attempt at encouraging objectivity.
    i like the way you put it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •