Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identicals in relations taking on Dual roles

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Identicals in relations taking on Dual roles

I just came across something quite interesting from socionics.com:

In order for Identical relations to last, one partner has to take a role of the Dual as if it was a Duality relationship. Usually it happens naturally. If the two are introverts, one often subconsciously attempts to take care of the extroverted side of things, if the two are thinking types, then one would try to fill the resulting emotional void etc. Different backgrounds and function developments of Identical partners could help in this case, however as with any other relationship there has to be a driving force behind it to keep it going.

When I'm around my INTp cousin, I believe that I turn into a sub-ENFp and he turns into a sub-ISTp.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes sense. I mean, both people can't fill an identical role. So.... you're suggesting that both people compromise and whichever is stronger in certain functions takes them over? Hmmmmm.... But my strongest function is most definitely N and I still don't see how being with an S would be more advantageous than being with an N. What am I missing here?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think identical types understand each other very well, but they can't help each other.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    This makes sense. I mean, both people can't fill an identical role. So.... you're suggesting that both people compromise and whichever is stronger in certain functions takes them over? Hmmmmm.... But my strongest function is most definitely N and I still don't see how being with an S would be more advantageous than being with an N. What am I missing here?
    Balancing out functions...

needs to balance each other out.... so two with ILE/ ENTP types together I guess one would have to become more heavy on the for them to be stable. Same goes for and . I wouldn't be surprised if this did actually work out that way... I can think of one SLI girl...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its doesnt work too well if you really want what a dual can provide. There is always frustration as the other partner mirrors your own imperfections. The value in this is you can see where you are going wrong and try to improve but you cant do everything so ultimately you have to recuit help from outside the relationship to take care of certain matters. For example an IEE couple will pay for someone to do their taxes if neither can bear to do it. They will definitely have the shop do all repairs on their car and they would probably eat out alot if neither likes to cook or cant cook well. Hopefully identicals would be mature enough to recognize their weaknesses and discuss how chores can be distributed so that neither feels like they are living outside of themselves. Otherwise, they will suffocate in problems and blame each other.
    Even with successful dual couples ( and non-dual ) I think that its unrealistic that one other person is going to fullfill all your needs. Its good to have supportive friends and family for some of that. Of course its also our responsibility to be supportive of them as well.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is very interesting as that is PRECISELY what happens in my identical relationships.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    I think identical types understand each other very well, but they can't help each other.
    Although they may not help each other on a personal level, aren't they always helping each other on a societal level?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends...

With my cousin, I am exactly 3 1/2 years older than he is, which allows me to help him with both societal and personal situations. It's basically like the "big brother" effect.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So according to the theory... would this be something that tends to be develop permantent roles for each partner, or would it sorta go back and forth, depending on the circumstances and whatnot?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, that's what I would have thought... but the paragraph Cone posted makes it sound like more of a permanent role. If that was the case, wouldn't the one who is not filling their personality type's role be resentful of the other person because they are in a postition which demands that they become someone they are not?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    the whole purpose of identical relations is to establish identity
    did you read that somewhere?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The result of Identical relations is self-development, because these relations can help you to look at your own abilities and disabilities from a different angle. Identical relations can be compared with watching a video of oneself. In conclusion, only these relations can provide a person with correct self-evaluation.
    oic
    SEE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    So according to the theory... would this be something that tends to be develop permantent roles for each partner, or would it sorta go back and forth, depending on the circumstances and whatnot?
    In my experience, it gos back and forth, depending on who needs what at the time.
    I was thinking about this as I have an ENTj work colleague with whom I get along very well. In our case it definitely goes back and forth. Constantly.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Identicals in relationships taking on Dual roles

Has anyone known any identical-type marriages or long-term relationships? I'm curious as to if and how this part of the description actually manifests itself:

In order for Identical relations to last, one partner has to take a role of the Dual as if it was a Duality relationship. Usually it happens naturally. If the two are introverts, one often subconsciously attempts to take care of the extroverted side of things, if the two are thinking types, then one would try to fill the resulting emotional void etc. Different backgrounds and function developments of Identical partners could help in this case, however as with any other relationship there has to be a driving force behind it to keep it going.

I'm wondering if my brother and his wife could be identicals who have just learned to play different roles in the marriage. They've been married for 10 years and run a business together. They are both artists but each bring very different talents and skills to the table yet I feel like they are the same at the core and have that sort of deep understanding--the kind that identicals would seem to have where they completely "get" each other. Has anyone seen this in action (identicals taking the role of the dual)?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an INTj who is probably married to his identical (I don't know her very well). I see very little evidence of him taking the role of the dual - in fact the opposite. He is very TiNe, and uses his strengths maturely.

I have taken the role of the dual in my casual interactions with other INTjs, especially with Ti subtypes. With Ne subtypes it goes back and forth.

I think long-term romantic Identity relationships are rare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe because there would be no mystery in the relationship?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a couple who I think is ISFj-ISFj. In that case, the guy takes over the "ENTj" role.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I know a couple who I think is ISFj-ISFj. In that case, the guy takes over the "ENTj" role.
    I'm wondering if my brother and sister-in-law are ISFp and my SIL takes over the ENTp when they are functioning as a couple. It feels like objectively they are ISFps but with each other, my brother is more introverted and more sensing and more feeling than she is, so they seem to balance each other as duals. I don't know if that makes sense or not but that's how it feels. It's like they are identical when facing the rest of the world but when facing each other, they are suddenly complementary. Perhaps this is just my own perception. Is that how a dual relationship seems to outsiders?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know of any identicals in a long-term relationship. I dated a couple of ENFP guys and it was weird. It was like, I knew exactly what they were thinking, so I was really bored.

The first time I met one of them I noticed he was acting charming, complimentary and not offensive at all. Then I realized I was acting the exact same way. We even had a similar speech pattern. It kinda freaked me out. And then I got really bored because I could figure out how he'd react to everything.

Sometimes I actually find other ENFPs kinda annoying. especially when they're scatterbrained or over-react to things. But I guess it's true the things that bug you about yourself, bother you more in other people.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm thinking now that my sister-in-law is indeed my brother's dual. I went back and re-read the ENTp description and it really does sound like her. (my brother is ISFp, most likely) Makes sense.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Default When identicals are in a relationship...

I've heard that when identicals are together long-term, say in a serious romantic relationship, one of them takes on the role of the dual, effectively acting as the dual to the other.

But what I've observed of one pair of identicals in particular is that one of them "stays" the type (not making much or any effort to change at all) while the other keeps sort of trying to act as the dual, but a bit clumsily. It's awkward.

Other observations or experiences? I'm wondering whether this is just these two, or if this is more the trend.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duality is a bogus relationship ideal.
    I think in relationships with identicals, say between two IEEs, they can both do "caregiver" stuff for each other.
    Relationships are two way streets, and if only one person is doing the bending and adjusting, as in your observation of an identisis couple, it will likely fail. One person is compromising more than the other, and eventually they will grow weary and conflict will arise.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I noticed that and did it myself in an identical relationship. After me trying to dual got exhausting, we both sat around for a few weeks playing world of Warcraft, not bathing, and building forts out of all the pizza boxes we had ordered. were really good friends now, so it's whatever.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

identical relationships feel like incest. they're gross. no thx.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, I'm tired of people relishing in their type's fallbacks and weak spots.
    You don't have to be inept at Si, or Ti, or Ne, or anything. Work on that stuff and stop celebrating weakness just because Socionics gives you a cover for it.
    Take some responsibility for these things and work on them.
    A dual might take over these weak spots for you, but what reason does that dynamic then give you to grow? Seems like stagnation to me.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fenryrr View Post
    Meh, I'm tired of people relishing in their type's fallbacks and weak spots.
    You don't have to be inept at Si, or Ti, or Ne, or anything. Work on that stuff and stop celebrating weakness just because Socionics gives you a cover for it.
    Take some responsibility for these things and work on them.
    I don't think anyone suggested that was the case [in this thread, that is].

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I didn't say it for no reason.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I didn't say it for no reason.
    It might be worth making a thread on that subject, however, if you think it's an issue instead of making random posts in a thread that the subject wasn't brought up in at all. That would facilitate more discussion than bringing it up in a thread that's really not made for that and more for comparing experiences. I don't disagree with you, but it comes off as somewhat hostile, especially when no one was "celebrating" what they suck at or saying that duality is the One True Relationship.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was in response to not bathing because someone else didn't remind you to. >.>
    You don't need an SEI around to remind you to bathe. You are an adult and can bathe yourself.
    I don't mean this in an inflammatory way towards you Fox. It's just the pattern of this kind of thinking that's annoying.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was in response to not bathing because someone else didn't remind you to. >.>
    You don't need an SEI around to remind you to bathe. You are an adult and can bathe yourself.
    I don't mean this in an inflammatory way towards you Fox. It's just the pattern of this kind of thinking that's annoying.
    rofl okay whatever. That was obvious hyperbole. I didn't expect that someone would actually think I didn't bathe for weeks.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I definitely didn't require a link to the definition of hyperbole. I managed to pass the 6th grade.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I definitely didn't require a link to the definition of hyperbole. I managed to pass the 6th grade.
    You took what was a hyperbole as fact, so I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING

STOP BEING SUCH ******S

MOVING ON

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the event I didn't know the meaning of the word, I could have looked it up myself.

Also, how can an actual occurrence be a hyperbole? I have heard you talk about the whole WoW/not bathing thing with your ex before. It's not a hyperbole if it actually happened.

Edit: I love you Radio.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, how can an actual occurrence be a hyperbole? I have heard you talk about the whole WoW/not bathing thing with your ex before. It's not a hyperbole if it actually happened.
    I'm sure you've only said "boy, this weighs a ton!" once, because if you say it more than once, then it had to have actually happened.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Socionics styled relationships are illogical because they don't conform to the natural order of things. If one were to consider a relationship a equilibrium equation between different molecules or compounds, the interactions that take the longest to reach equilibrium state are those that are more complex. When I think of the idea of duality, I think of this couple that sort of just sits and reads the newspaper together. It is a highly flawed abstract concept that it seems this entire forum clings to like its some wisdom of the gods. The whole idea of balance is contradictory to the transformation and change that is necessary to keep a relationship interesting.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A dual might take over these weak spots for you, but what reason does that dynamic then give you to grow? Seems like stagnation to me.
    I do think you should make a thread about this, though, because duality isn't supposed to cover your weak spots, but encourage them to use them better yourself. Hence the 'dualization' aspect. Then people can also draw conclusions off of this from superego, kindred, supervisor, supervisee and conflictor relationships, because the superego is weaker than the super-id and talk about how those relationships are useful as well.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Penny and Leonard are my fav dual couple.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Penny and Leonard are my fav dual couple.
    mine too. in fact I never even realized.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    Personally, I find that when my dual's around, my weak spots are covered and it's lovely, but when they aren't around, I'm better at seeing what should be done in whatever scenario and doing it myself. Learning by example

While Richard's a semi-dual rather than dual, I've learned a lot while being with him. I'm better now at managing my money...though I still go through spending sprees sometimes, and I can't seem to manage to save money. But I'm waaaay better than I used to be. And after his asking me if I'm sure I really want an item...I now ask myself that more often. I'm also significantly calmer than I used to be, even when he's not present.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast