Thread: Renin dichotomies empirical testing

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Renin dichotomies empirical testing

Have the russians done anything similar?

I was thinking earlier on how if we give questionnaires and suppose the truthfulness of the answers

then load the questionaries in a sheet

and perform factor analysis among types that share an increasing number of dichotomies

we should find an up/dowrising correlation trend between the factor and the number of shared dichotomies

this would indeed show at least the empirical presence of an unexplained entity which can plausibly be referred to the dichotomies
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem here is that a large percentage of people are lost likely typed incorrectly.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Maybe people could list the 3-5 dichotomies they are most sure describes them, and then see how that compares to their type? Or people could just rank all of them from most certain to least certain, fairly roughly, and then someone with the expertise can do whatever statistical analysis.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    Maybe people could list the 3-5 dichotomies they are most sure describes them, and then see how that compares to their type? Or people could just rank all of them from most certain to least certain, fairly roughly, and then someone with the expertise can do whatever statistical analysis.
    Definite: Serious, Resolute, Dynamic, Strategist, Resource centered/protecting (otherwise know as Compliant)
    Not as obvious, but still clear: Result, Declarer, Democracy
    Leaning towards the side of: Careless, Positivism, Emotive
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    hey! are you the one with the expertise? if yes, then do you have a link to *original* descriptions of the dichotomies which are not just regurgitations/copies of the ones already available? i'd love to have a look
    No, I was thinking more along the lines of thehotelambush .

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Pretty sure of, in order: Reasonable > Constructivism > Static > Asker > Democracy > Negativism > Process
    Possibly: Merry?
    All the rest are difficult to decide for me.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the wikisocion isn't complete in their descriptions yet.
    If you're gonna do something like this, then it would be helpful to link people to good definitions of reinin's dichotomies.

So, as defined by http://the16types.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5773 (just cuz it was the easiest available link for me):
    Negativist, Declarative, Static, Tactical, Interest-Protecting all fit me.
    The others I'm a bit unsure about either due to my not quite understanding something in the definition, my having issues with a definition, or my being aware of parts of both within me.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the 5 out of 5 and the 4 out of 5s:

Negativist, Declarative, EP, NP, EF = enfp (5 out of 5)
    Declarative, IJ, SJ, IT = istj (4 out of 5)
    Negativist, Declarative, NP, IT= intp (4 out of 5)

Roflmao,so, the only thing that of this list of for sures that separates me from istj is being a negativist, and from the intp is being static.

(Of course the differences are more marked if we add in Gulenko's Infantile.)

Still, it's pretty funny….
    Some of you will understand the joke,
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

I think most of the Reinin Dichotomies are generally a bunch of confirmation bias food. If anything we're talking very general trends that are easily influenced by the enviornment to the point of being silly to try to type by.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    I think most of the Reinin Dichotomies are generally a bunch of confirmation bias food. If anything we're talking very general trends that are easily influenced by the enviornment to the point of being silly to try to type by.
    Yeah, I think I didn't explain myself properly.

We first (I, I'll try) build a normal socionics test. Inside the test there are questions linked to renin dichtomies, but not explicitly stated (of course). We then run a factor analysis to see if people with the greatest number of similar answers in similar questions related to renin dichotomies also get as type result the types associated with said dichotomies.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem with reinin dichotomies, among others, is that they are defined (at least from all of the material i've seen) in an extremely vague manner. i have tried to stomach the reinin dichotomies for a long time and have never exactly grasped what the hell they really mean.

at the conference earlier in august, there was some discussion about the validity of the reinin dichotomies. in particular, hotelambush at one point mentioned something about the emotivist-constructivist dichotomy reflecting something like emotivist types get to know their partners before jumping in to a relationship whereas constructivist types do not. to me, this is a behavioral trait that can be immediately identified as having nothing whatsoever to do with type. i do not understand what most of the reinin dichotomies actually mean, but my suspicion is that they all reflect these similarly bizarre characteristics and have no validity at all.

to go from these strange and highly dubious definitions and construct test questions that accurately portray the nature of the dichotomies (especially for some of the really strange dichotomies like tactics-strategy or process-result) is not going to be a particularly fruitful task.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the dichotomies blur together. When you're trying to explain or understand one of them, what you're saying often ends up sounding like it could be attributed to another dichotomy.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Some of the dichotomies blur together. When you're trying to explain or understand one of them, what you're saying often ends up sounding like it could be attributed to another dichotomy.
    That definitely doesn't make this sound like pseudoscience!
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, these dichotomies aren't an integral part of Socionics by any means. They're just an add on, like a sunroof. To some extent the problem lies in the translations. For example, did you know that the Right vs. Left (or Process vs. Result) is based on the concept of Involution vs. Evolution? Thinking about it in those terms changes the meaning of that dichotomy to some extent, and it makes more sense.
    SEE