Thread: strange ENTp story

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default strange ENTp story

I don't know why I didn't post this earlier, but a while back I had an odd encounter with a male ENTp whom I knew through my ENFp ex-boyfriend.
    Brief background info: he (the ENTp) and I always got along reasonably well, but our conversations never went beyond small-talk because we always talked to one another while we were hanging out with different social groups. He was always flirty, but I interpreted that as part of his general personality (which it was) and not as anything special directed towards me. But he did add me as a friend on his Facebook account the day after my bf and I broke up the first time, so that made me wonder about his intentions.
    Well, here comes the odd part. One day my ENFp boyfriend (after we got back together) and I were sitting in a coffee bar with a couple of our friends whom the ENTp was friends with as well. Out of nowhere, the ENTp came up to me and my boyfriend and handed me a large, somewhat expensive box of chocolates and said, "you looked like you needed some chocolates," and then sat down next to me.
    The conversation proceeded as usual, I thanked him, and my ENFp ex did absolutely nothing because 1) he's not a confrontational person, and 2) he was stupefied by the whole situation. I can't imagine what would have happened if my ex were an ESTp, haha (actually I can, and it would probably involve violence).
    Well, after my ENFp bf and I broke up for the second and final time, the ENTp didn't make any effort to contact me or try to start something. WTF? My theory is that he gave me the chocolates because he was testing to see if I would leave my ENFp boyfriend for him, which would boost his ego. Either that or he was trying to get under my ex's skin, because those two didn't like each other very much. Or maybe he was feeling shy and self-conscious. He might have liked me, but if he did, he went about it in a very odd way.
    Any ideas as to why he did this?
    INFp, Intuitive subtype, Enneagram 6w5
    Back in school and on semi-permanent hiatus from the forum

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: strange ENTp story

Quote Originally Posted by uninspired
    I don't know why I didn't post this earlier, but a while back I had an odd encounter with a male ENTp whom I knew through my ENFp ex-boyfriend.
    Brief background info: he (the ENTp) and I always got along reasonably well, but our conversations never went beyond small-talk because we always talked to one another while we were hanging out with different social groups. He was always flirty, but I interpreted that as part of his general personality (which it was) and not as anything special directed towards me. But he did add me as a friend on his Facebook account the day after my bf and I broke up the first time, so that made me wonder about his intentions.
    Well, here comes the odd part. One day my ENFp boyfriend (after we got back together) and I were sitting in a coffee bar with a couple of our friends whom the ENTp was friends with as well. Out of nowhere, the ENTp came up to me and my boyfriend and handed me a large, somewhat expensive box of chocolates and said, "you looked like you needed some chocolates," and then sat down next to me.
    The conversation proceeded as usual, I thanked him, and my ENFp ex did absolutely nothing because 1) he's not a confrontational person, and 2) he was stupefied by the whole situation. I can't imagine what would have happened if my ex were an ESTp, haha (actually I can, and it would probably involve violence).
    Well, after my ENFp bf and I broke up for the second and final time, the ENTp didn't make any effort to contact me or try to start something. WTF? My theory is that he gave me the chocolates because he was testing to see if I would leave my ENFp boyfriend for him, which would boost his ego. Either that or he was trying to get under my ex's skin, because those two didn't like each other very much. Or maybe he was feeling shy and self-conscious. He might have liked me, but if he did, he went about it in a very odd way.
    sounds like he was being funny with the chocolates.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i read the chocolates behavior as typical Fi totally not thinking about the relational implications of things. could he have thought that you were still broken up with the enfp and then just went forward with the chocolates even though he saw that you were sitting with enfp in the coffee shop? kinda like doh!!

now he realizes how silly it was for him to do that, so he's mum....if you like him, call him up or text him and see what he does. if he responds then he's into ya...if he doesn't then he was just being totally random and impulsive.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely he gave you them because as the others said, a) he wanted to see if he had a chance with you and b) he wants to be inside your head, maybe he wants what your bf had, maybe that's what makes you more attractive? Also, where did he get the chocolates from? Did he buy them himself, or is it possible he was randomly given them and then chose you to give them to?

It would be very unlikely that he'd chase you for a second time, as afterall, you rejected him the first time and if he does still like you, he'll probably think if you like him enough then you know where he is.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's quite a wierd situation. Maybe he just wanted to piss of your b/f... err ex b/f at the time.

I don't think you're really looking for advice here but i'll throw it at you anyway...
    Too much drama to start a relationship off with. Find someone else and forget this guy exists. Next.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: strange ENTp story

I think there are one of two reasons for him giving you the chocolates. I think either 1) he wanted to know whether you were attracted to him (seems a little too out there though possibly). Or 2) If he had already determined that you were attracted to him at some level (did you guys share a smile before or anything?) AND he had an intense dislike for the other guy then maybe he was doing it just to territorially mess with the ENFp. Was the ENFp an ass to others or the ENTp?

As for why the ENTp didn't try to contact you after you two broke up he probably got caught up doing something else (low Fi). If you're actually attracted to him and want something with him I'd suggest hanging around him and waiting for a time when he's down on himself and showing him Fe.
    Suomea

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. This reminds me of the times when I was still with my ENFj ex. And my current ENTp bf would tell the ENFj, "I'm gonna woo Sarah", in my ex's face.
    I think he did it partly cuz he thought my ex sucked as a person, and was only mildly interested at that point of time.
    But the difference was, he did woo me after I broke up with the ENFj. After like 3 months?

uninspired, he might be shy or something, you could try starting a random conversation with him?
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so much for responding; your insights have helped a lot.
    This whole thing happened several months ago and neither of us currently attend the school we attended when it did happen (he graduated, I transferred), so I'm not interested in pursuing anything. Also, he has a girlfriend now, and I'm happy he's happy (she's ENTj, though, so we'll see where that goes).
    I think his actions were probably an amalgam of wanting to irritate my ex, wanting to see how I felt about him, kinda sorta liking me, and not really knowing what to do about his liking me because of weak .
    But he did succeed, as americancer said, in getting into my thoughts, because I've been wondering about this situation forever, lol.
    INFp, Intuitive subtype, Enneagram 6w5
    Back in school and on semi-permanent hiatus from the forum

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all so much for responding; your insights have helped a lot.
    This whole thing happened several months ago and neither of us currently attend the school we attended when it did happen (he graduated, I transferred), so I'm not interested in pursuing anything. Also, he has a girlfriend now, and I'm happy he's happy (she's ENTj, though, so we'll see where that goes).
    I think his actions were probably an amalgam of wanting to irritate my ex, wanting to see how I felt about him, kinda sorta liking me, and not really knowing what to do about his liking me because of weak .
    But he did succeed, as americancer said, in getting into my thoughts, because I've been wondering about this situation forever, lol.
    stay tuned, it's probably a godwink, there will be more to this story later, i am sure of it.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, he has a girlfriend now, and I'm happy he's happy (she's ENTj, though, so we'll see where that goes).
    lol, arguments & the messiest house ever, i think.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x
    Last edited by HitmanISTP; 07-24-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    ISTP-Te, Logical Subtype (the jokey one)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the ENTp had been ENFp, I would've suggested he was just having fun with his (and maybe also , since that's an situation).

ENTp could probably do something totally unexpected like that in connection to a system.

So this post didn't really answer any question, just some random thoughts.
    Intuition