Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ENTp jobs/careers/occupations: what do fellow ILEs do for a living?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am probably one of the older ENTp's on most of the forums. I have come to realize the importance of being in a harmonious atmosphere. I kidded myself for years that the infighting did not bother me. In retrospect, I mistyped myself for years as being introverted. I don't think that personnel work per se, would be of interest, however, something that would entail problem solving like employee relations, would probably keep ENTps interested for awhile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This topic is a sore spot with me right now.

As a female entp, when I was young I felt pressure to be f and kind of wanted to be f. I had a substance abuse problem and got into recovery. I decided that I wanted to help other people recover and became a social worker.

Now I am 41 and with kids. Over the last five years, I've accepted my entp personality. I've risen to middle management and I also teach MSW students.

Part of me feels like I am in the totally wrong profession for who I am. The teaching is the best, the clinical supervision of staff is the worst, and the clients are in the middle. But if I had to see clients all day then that would probably be the worst.

I can't tell if I'm just being myself which is kind of never satisfied and a little dramatic, if this is a typical mid life issue, or whether it's true, I took up the wrong thing for a career. But I'm tired of everything being forced.

I don't really know what to do and I have a family that I am financially responsible for.

My husband who is estp feels the same way (he is also in recovery, and also working in human services).
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENTPs, what do you do???

im currently struggling trying to figure out what is it i want to do in life, what career to pursue
    ENTP's have a reputation of being a perfect (mad?) scientist, but it doesn't look too realistic
    so, my question is: what do you, fellow entps, do for living? do you find it satisfactory? what would you want to do?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ENTPs, what do you do???

Quote Originally Posted by Marina
    im currently struggling trying to figure out what is it i want to do in life, what kind of career to pursue
    ENTP's have a reputation of being a perfect (mad?) scientist, but it doesn't look too realistic
    so, my question is: what do you, fellow entps, do for living? do you find it satisfactory? what would you want to do?

My ENTp lover keeps telling me, he needs something big to happen. Something that will keep him on his toes and running. He also talks about he wants to run things, figure out the best way to do things and tell people how to do them.

I think he means he wants some sort of meaningful war to arrise, and he wants to be the general leading it

He hasn't been satisfied with a job since he worked for 911 emergency. He needs importance, competent co-workers to pick up his slack and rise to his standards. He seems to not need the credit for anything...a saying he likes is, "If you've done something right, no one will ever be sure you've done anything at all." But I think he likes that saying because he DOES need credit, and that eases the tension when he doesn't get it.

Good luck.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha ha, i recognize myself
    any ideas what exactly this "big and meaningful" could be?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey marina welcome to the forum....lessee entp's like to have jobs that give them some latitude without a lot of micro management. something where you can research something and then apply it, using it to improve something.

sciences, including the social sciences are pretty good for entp's. law.

entp's hate routine and picky details, so something like accounting i can't see working.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha ha, i recognize myself
    any ideas what exactly this "big and meaningful" could be?
    Something to benefit man-kind. He seems to think we are going down-hill. But that is BS. Do you know...how many generations of man have gone past...and how they bitched about their civilization going down the tube? It's a constant fluxuation...its life, it goes up and down and we won't be satisfied with it.

Not to say, that you shouldn't try to IMPROVE it, but it's nothing to get so dismally pessimitic about.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    hey marina welcome to the forum....lessee entp's like to have jobs that give them some latitude without a lot of micro management. something where you can research something and then apply it, using it to improve something.

entp's hate routine and picky details, so something like accounting i can't see working.

science, like doing some sort of research?
    what about you? what do you do?

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister is ENTp and she's not into science or any other intellectual task. She works as a model and is currently a manager of a promotional team.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in school to become a defense attorney. Arguing for a living ftw
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8

science, like doing some sort of research?
    what about you? what do you do?
    i direct a mental health case management program - i'm a social worker. i also teach social work students at a master's level.

i think it might be less about specifically what field you go into and more about the roles you choose in the field you go into. like i was an OK counselor but i like directing leading planning strategizing teaching in an environment where i am am not micro managed and don't have to be a micro manager of others. i like a lot of latitude, flexibility, and room to be creative.

ILE

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some specilistic business where you need to know everything about a subject.

or start your own business.

And many ENTP's I know are really into programming. Making websites based on difficult languages (asp.net, visual c++ etc)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    And many ENTP's I know are really into programming. Making websites based on difficult languages (asp.net, visual c++ etc)
    Difficult?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some specilistic business where you need to know everything about a subject.

or start your own business.

are there any entp's doing well in their own business? i mean, we can be disorganized

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Difficult?
    Difficulty varies from person to person, so I do not know why you would question his use of the word difficult. I know that I would probably have personal difficulties in learning such languages. If you do not find them difficult, then great for you, but for others (even other INTjs), we may find such a language quite alien.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer any job where i can work alone and get tasks done on my own terms. if i end up not working alone, the ideal situation is one where my coworker(s) won't report me to anybody when they realize i spend more of my time learning to program a synthesizer than i do working.
    entp-ti 6w7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, look at it this way, your options are alot better than us who like to 'work with our hands'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    Hey, look at it this way, your options are alot better than us who like to 'work with our hands'
    from my experience, those who like working with their hands at least know what they want
    for some reason i thought that i want to be a pharmacist, and it took me two whole years to reallize that i hate it! yeah, sometimes Ne tells you stupids things

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Difficult?
    Arrogant?

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For fuck's sake, I was just trying to ask him what is difficult about those programming languages in particular. I know nothing about said languages, and was curious. ARGH.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like those languages....

Well, I guess you could always be a mad scientist...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relax dude. We don't hate you

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Relax dude. We don't hate you
    I know, you were just getting all

'sall good.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um....I do sales during the day so I can be a musician at night. It's not the best solution, but I've found that as long as I put my self somewhere where I can see "new opportunities," I do alright.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Teaching career for an ENTp?

I've always wanted to teach, I love the education system a lot. It's quite sad.

But I've basically had a few dilemas because...

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd rather work in a school where the children behave themselves (to a point), basically aren't abusive, nasty brats even if they aren't from the best of backgrounds so thought about 5-11 age range... BUT something tells me that I am best to work with older children. I don't know but I am so un-Mumsy. It's just I want the benefits of a nicer life.

Any type related advice?
    ENTp... love it

3w2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EllaC View Post
    I've always wanted to teach, I love the education system a lot. It's quite sad.

But I've basically had a few dilemas because...

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd rather work in a school where the children behave themselves (to a point), basically aren't abusive, nasty brats even if they aren't from the best of backgrounds so thought about 5-11 age range... BUT something tells me that I am best to work with older children. I don't know but I am so un-Mumsy. It's just I want the benefits of a nicer life.

Any type related advice?
    I think ILEs can make great teachers. I've had some good and bad ones - the bad ones go uberfast and don't wait for others to catch up mentally, so no one learns anything. The good ones are extremely creative and excel at conveying concepts in an easy to understand way. Walter Lewin (see MIT OpenCourseWare) is a great ILE professor, imo.

I'm not sure how realistic your wishes are, but I'm not sure how unrealistic they are either (I haven't taught). I guess if they step out of line you could always corporally punish the little twerps. But seriously, if you want to and can, I'd say go for it. It's probably not easy, but from what little I've done teaching-wise, it's very rewarding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The students who attack teachers do so either out of frustration that they don't understand or because they think it's uncool to learn. You shouldn't force education on those who don't want to learn, but you should compromise and try different approaches to getting the teaching across. Some education is better than no education at all. Most teachers I encountered seem to see teaching as Us versus Them, and this really isn't the right attitude. I was irritated by that and I was one of those most willing to learn .

Teaching shouldn't be a strict lesson by lesson, day by day affair...it should be able to adapt. I hated teachers who were very formal and stiff. Things really aren't like that in the real world, and most things you learn at school aren't actually important - it's the finished product that counts.

Teachers who make the clever ones show their intelligence by asking questions don't really have the right idea...it's usually better to have a more informal approach.

I found that other students are often better at explaining things than the teacher but they often don't want to share their expertise in class for obvious reasons. I've known very few teachers who were able to utilise this resource.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i teach graduate school as an adjunct. students always rave about my classes these days, but it took a while to develop a style and to learn how to teach well.

i'm much more naturally good at teaching than i am at my full time job.

if you're going to teach, i'd say ILE would be a better teacher of adults than of children.

ILE

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I suggest corporal cuddling?
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EllaC, I bet you could be a fantastic teacher.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    EllaC, I bet you could be a fantastic teacher.
    In short that is all I needed to know... and you must've know this. Clever.
    ENTp... love it

3w2

TIM
    ENTP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool I am always on the move

I cant sit still so adventure in my work and daily life is necessary, really!
    here is a link on some tips for work: for an add entp: Adventuralist - Adventure, Photography, Travel, Advice

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ideal career for an ENTp?

What is the career that best fits the ENTp's talents or abilities?

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inventor. Full stop.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comedian, professor, advocate, soccer player(the seeker)
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard they make good lawyers. Is that true? or does it not really fit? Also I have heard they can make good Investors. do they?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Anything, but ultimately do the job you want to do.

Being a follower isn't exactly a job a ILE will enjoy or data entry or clerical work or any number of mind numbing tedious jobs. The job I did the worst at was line cook at a Krystal.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itdoesntmatter View Post
    I have heard they make good lawyers. Is that true? or does it not really fit? Also I have heard they can make good Investors. do they?
    What you're thinking of is the idealism. The bulk of law and monetary professions is tedious paperwork.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever he/she loves to do and is good at.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itdoesntmatter View Post
    What is the career that best fits the ENTp's talents or abilities?
    Pornographic movie translator.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast