Thread: The Roles of Alphas in Fiction

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Roles of Alphas in Fiction

This is not a thread about determining what characters in fiction are Alphas, but instead is a thread which seeks to look into the sorts of roles or archetypes which the various members of Alpha quadra typically fill in either literature, film, or television. And furthermore, how are these archetypes generally used and what themes are typically prevalent with their usage? While the angle which the roles are presented obviously vary depending upon the type and quadra-values of the author, the roles and archetypes are more than likely fairly constant and prevalent throughout the different works of fiction.

While again, this thread is not about characters who are Alpha, it may be best to include a few character examples of the type's role or archetype, but it should neither be the main focus of the thread nor should the thread topic stray into such discussion.

LII

ILE

ESE

SEI
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I agree that Ender Wiggin (of Ender's Game) was quite possibly LII.

From Harry Potter, Mrs. Weasley could easily be ESE, and Fred and George Weasley might both be ILE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro

From Harry Potter, Mrs. Weasley could easily be ESE, and Fred and George Weasley might both be ILE.
    No, it is not about characters who are Alpha, but the roles and archetypes that they generally fulfill in fiction. For example, the ILE may fulfill the role of the artist-scientist, the one who strives to create and is blinded by his pursuit of the creation. The LII (along with the EII) sometimes act as something of a messiah figure, though the LII messiah is generally the reluctant or knowingly non-genuine messiah (Paul Atreides of Dune, Ender Wiggins [somewhat]) in a logical form. The LII is also the counselor or arbitrator if he is a secondary character or a shadow to the protagonist.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro

No, it is not about characters who are Alpha, but the roles and archetypes that they generally fulfill in fiction. For example, the ILE may fulfill the role of the artist-scientist, the one who strives to create and is blinded by his pursuit of the creation. The LII (along with the EII) sometimes act as something of a messiah figure, though the LII messiah is generally the reluctant or knowingly non-genuine messiah (Paul Atreides of Dune, Ender Wiggins [somewhat]) in a logical form. The LII is also the counselor or arbitrator if he is a secondary character or a shadow to the protagonist.
    Sorry, in hindsight I REALLY didn't read your post as you said several times not to do exactly what I did.

(Fwiw, your ILE archetype easily fits Victor Frankenstein from Shelley's Frankenstein.)
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discojoe was extremely good at this.

LII
    The mad scholar who will go to any lengths in pursuit of his research.

ILE
    The wanna-be rockstar who is destined to save the world; may become king.

ESE
    - The gentle healer
    - The sterotypical hero with a big sword and no brains.

SEI
    Very hard one: oftentimes the wacky sidekick.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr
    LII -- Hermit, Loser nerd reluctant hero, Rain Man, assassin
    ILE -- Orphan, Assassin, mute kid who breaks into people's business and runs them at night
    SEI -- Hooker with heart of gold, crazy over-protective mother, little girl that makes Assassin want to protect her, girl who digs thru guy's garbage and masterbates on his bed while he's out killing people
    ESE -- Crazy girl with problems wakes up loser nerd reluctant hero, good natured temporary girl who gets dumped

:wink:
    HAHAHA, what the hell!

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    ILE -- Orphan, Assassin, mute kid who breaks into people's business and runs them at night
    SEI -- Hooker with heart of gold, crazy over-protective mother, little girl that makes Assassin want to protect her, girl who digs thru guy's garbage and masterbates on his bed while he's out killing people
    ESE -- Crazy girl with problems wakes up loser nerd reluctant hero, good natured temporary girl who gets dumped

HAHAHA, what the hell!
    It's quite simple..
    Identify my Avatar, reference additional material... profit!!!
    Except the assassin is not really a literary archetype.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux

HAHAHA, what the hell!
    It's quite simple..
    Identify my Avatar, reference additional material... profit!!!
    Except the assassin is not really a literary archetype.
    Yes it is... :wink: Look at all the books and movies with Assassins in them... eh eh..
    The Professional... do I really need to go on..
    Not in the literary sense. The literary archetype is the common denominator of similar characters in their behavior, function, and characteristics from a series of stories. An assassin would a profession and not archetype. Maybe if you had said, a loner who seeks justice or something more broad than assassin, then it would be an archetype.
    Johari Box

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think SEI characters in fiction are often coming to terms with some catastrophic event, such as a death etc., and are trying to find themselves again - books by Banana Yoshimoto (whom I'm becoming a fan of ) often has main characters who are wondering how others might perceive them, and the impact their actions might have on others etc. - a lot of vivid emotions and worries are expressed (she might be a INFp rather than a ISFp, I really don't know - I think both types would like her books anyway ).

SEIs are prolly the sort of character who tries to help the protagonist of the story in their quest in some minor detail, or who may hinder\and or need to be rescued by the end, because of some well-intentioned plan failing or something .

ESEs in fiction might seem dimmer than the main protagonist (obviously, because the protagonist is the best ), but may be the one who picks up the pieces, or who informs the relatives of a victim about their untimely death . Quite a lot of the feminist kind of novels one of my friends reads (but I don't ) seem to have strong female characters who campaign to save the planet etc., and tie themselves to trees etc. - they might be ESE-like, possibly.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So