Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Function Strength

I suspect that the weak conscious functions (role, PoLR) are prone to the analysis of temporary and variable content, which is the reason for their orientation as society-reliant functions of the super-ego.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Function Strength

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    I suspect that the weak conscious functions (role, PoLR) are prone to the analysis of temporary and variable content, which is the reason for their orientation as society-reliant functions of the super-ego.
    so how does analysis of temporary and variable content lead to their orientation as society-reliant functions?

i understand both sides of your sentence separately, but am not seeing how they go together.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social conceptualizations are ever changing. One cannot say that the super-ego will remain constant: it changes in accordance with events that suggest to objectivity that some level of regulation of individual activity is necessary. As events prove these regulations unjustified or even short-sighted, the super-ego changes in response. For this reason, it is evolutionarily beneficial to perceive some elements as varying or temporary. The existence of personal weaknesses creates an impetus to socialize in hopes of overcoming the weaknesses with society's general support, whereas if we were confident in all our functions we would not have impetus for collective socialization. Thus the concept of function weakness is important to social evolution.

Also, consider the criterion for confidence: reliability. We can count on the information processed by our strong elements as being reliable, and this gives us confidence in our grasp of it. Therefore psychic strength = reliability, and weakness = variability/inconstancy as the opposite of strength. Whereas we use the weak functions to adjust to on the one hand social adaptational needs, and on the other our own changing personal needs (functions 5 through 6), our strong functions serve the purpose of psychic evolution. The weak functions create temporary information, whereas the strong functions create information that has, in our view, the potential to endure.