Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types and music preference

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and music preference

Hello people, I have talked to people about the music they like, and I have noticed a few things.

Examples of people:

For me, ISTp, the lyrics arent very important, its the overall sound of the song, I like 'atmospheric' sounding music
    An INTj I know also dosent concentrate on the lyrics but the sound
    An ENFp I have known for a while concentrates a lot on the lyrics, considers it what music is really about, likes rap music.
    An ESTp I have known since I was a ickle, likes rock and heavy music, also like 'strong' dance music

Ok, thinking about other people and their types I think it goes something like this:

Si - lyrics not important, likes music which has a calm atmospheric effect on the inner state.
    Se - lyrics and sound both important, likes strong music thats gets you pumped up.
    Ti - lyrics not important, likes mainstream music and old classic songs
    Te - lyrics and sound both important, likes mainstream music and old classic songs
    Ni - dont know any
    Ne - lyrics important sound not so much, likes music that has impactful lyrics that make sense and are about something recognisable
    Fi - dont know
    Fe - lyrics and sound both important, like mainstream stuff and popular music

These are guesses, I dont know if music style and type are very well correlated, and people usually have a strong like for music that was in their era, when they were teenagers or early twenties, but maybe there is a bit of a link to type. I find it interesting though that some people really listen to the words and judge a song quite heavily on the quality of the words, as its something I dont really consider.

Any thoughts??
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like fast rythmic music

yeah fast electronica,metal, etc they're all good
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Types and music preference

Quote Originally Posted by flower
    Hello people, I have talked to people about the music they like, and I have noticed a few things.
    An INTj I know also dosent concentrate on the lyrics but the sound
    Ne - lyrics important sound not so much, likes music that has impactful lyrics that make sense and are about something recognisable

These are guesses, I dont know if music style and type are very well correlated, and people usually have a strong like for music that was in their era, when they were teenagers or early twenties, but maybe there is a bit of a link to type. I find it interesting though that some people really listen to the words and judge a song quite heavily on the quality of the words, as its something I dont really consider.

Any thoughts??
    So Ti is less about lyrics, but Ne is about lyrics? Makes being into music as a TiNe or NeTi kind of hard does it not? And your description of Ne may work for those with Fi in their ego, but not necessarily Ti.

But my main genres of music come from Classic Rock, Contemporary Indie, and some off-centered anime music for something different. But I do not think that the information elements are necessarily about lyrics vs. sound as much as what the song itself does or appeals to the person. For example, Ne may not be so much about lyrics as it is about a different sort of unique sound while Ti manifests itself as the repeating pattern, rhythm or structure of the music.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melody is most important.

preferably on a fast rythm

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi - dont know
    I think got to do with how my personal experiences relate to the lyrics and melody of the song.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ESTp I have known since I was a ickle, likes rock and heavy music, also like 'strong' dance music
    For me, it's about trip hop with syrupy beats - very sexy music - big beat with some proper hard beats, Amon Tobin's Rhino Jockey, Underworld's Born Slippy, and some goa trance; I'm looking at Juno Reactor for this one.

Si - lyrics not important, likes music which has a calm atmospheric effect on the inner state.

Se - lyrics and sound both important, likes strong music thats gets you pumped up.
    I agree. But I see myself as a combination of both as opposed to simply Se. My taste in trip hop and lounge music suggests Si, but my love of harder beats points to Se.

I disagree with this one. I know someone with Ti leading, and mainstream music is his nemesis. I think he'd also argue that lyrics are important to an extent. However, he likes some classics if they're from the '40s or '50s.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lyrics aren't very important to me but there's nothing like finding a great song with great lyrics..those are hard to find.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lyrics play low importance for me, although they can still play a part in whether or not I like a song. I like melody, speed, atmosphere, or a combination of those. I also like longer songs (basically anything 5 minutes or more) - nothing worse than a great song that really gets you going, then after a couple of minutes it's over. Songs which dance around the 10 minute mark rate well in my book for this reason. Provided of course the song itself is good in the first place.

I've occasionally wondered if the liking for long songs is Ni, but I wouldn't bet money on it. But yeah, in summary:

- Overall sound is most important
    - Long songs are preferable, but not necessary (if a song is short because it's better that way, then so be it)
    - Lyrics have the lowest importance but can still make me like or dislike a song.

FWIW, I tend to listen to heavy metal mostly, although most genres of rock and also more symphonic styles of music also interest me.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, lyrics don't mean much to me. I like the overall groove. Which is why I love Led Zep.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound and mood created by the music is most important to me. I do listen to some music just for the lyrics. However, most of it is about rhythm, melody/cool sounds, and mood.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An INFP I knew was heavily into lyrics..analyzing the song to death and would get into what each word meant. Very much a music snob. Just wanted her to relax and listen....course she complained I had no imagination. blah.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard of this happening before. Talk to Kim about her IEI friend who's into psychology

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Sound and mood created by the music is most important to me. I do listen to some music just for the lyrics. However, most of it is about rhythm, melody/cool sounds, and mood.
    Sound and mood created by the music is most important to me too. Fe seeking........

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup

Under cerulean skies...

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a total music snob. A lot of Beta NFs are, but in particular INFp. I am not even that bad, I have cooled down on the pretentiousness of before, but holy God, some INFps are insannnne.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a total music snob. A lot of Beta NFs are, but in particular INFp. I am not even that bad, I have cooled down on the pretentiousness of before, but holy God, some INFps are insannnne.

I think that has to do with and in combination. The emotionally passionate, drenched lyrics/mood, making sure it is "real" and it makes you feeeeel, lol. I have heard Ni and Fe being linked to romanticism too, but I don't know the explanation for it, although it's truth.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually I listen to music with headphones staring at the ceiling/sky. If I like the visions I get when I listen to the music, I like the music. Lyrics can be important to me, assuming the artist actually put some thought into them (a lot of songwriters choose words based on their rhythm/rhyme as opposed to content, so I don't get too hung up on the content if that's the case). Rhythm is important. It's probably the first thing I notice, followed by mood/texture/voice.

I don't think I'm a music snob. I probably used to be. Now I just think most people who are music snobs are rather misguided. Usually, it's a source of pointless frustration in the end.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Usually I listen to music with headphones staring at the ceiling/sky. If I like the visions I get when I listen to the music, I like the music.
    I find this to be the most enriching music experience. I normally don't do so though - I'm listening to music now, for example. I think the more you concentrate on the music, the more you get out of it. But the musical world is so diverse that a lot of artists have totally different agendas. It's up to you to find out which artists' agendas fit in with your own.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strange, I do listen old music and actual music without a problem. For example right now Im listening Violeta Parra and Edith Piaf

=)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics. I like them if they have a nice melody, if they are clever, or in rap. I can usually remember the framework of an instrument solo before I can remember the lyrics of a song.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general American listeners don't seem to care much about lyrics. Hell, I can't even understand what people are singing 90% of the time. Usually American music has the music in the foreground and the vocals in the background. With Russian music it's the opposite -- the lyrics are very often poetic and take a first seat. Bands with music at the forefront are quite rare. Spanish music also seems to give more attention to lyrics, and they're easier to make out.

Also, if people are musicians themselves, they tend to pay more attention to the music. I almost never pay attention to lyrics, and I most prefer instrumental music (rock, jazz, other styles).

My parents' generation (growing up in the 60s) paid more attention to lyrics than people do now. It's much easier to make out what Elvis and the Beatles are singing than what you hear today. Songs back then were more melodic and lyrics-based.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    In general American listeners don't seem to care much about lyrics. Hell, I can't even understand what people are singing 90% of the time. Usually American music has the music in the foreground and the vocals in the background. With Russian music it's the opposite -- the lyrics are very often poetic and take a first seat. Bands with music at the forefront are quite rare. Spanish music also seems to give more attention to lyrics, and they're easier to make out.

Also, if people are musicians themselves, they tend to pay more attention to the music. I almost never pay attention to lyrics, and I most prefer instrumental music (rock, jazz, other styles).

My parents' generation (growing up in the 60s) paid more attention to lyrics than people do now. It's much easier to make out what Elvis and the Beatles are singing than what you hear today. Songs back then were more melodic and lyrics-based.
    Thats a good point rick, different cultures and time periods have different emphisis on elements in the music. On average people therefore probably get used to and capture a liking towards different elements of music, depending on their culture they grew up in, the time period and other influence from peers/family etc, all of which are not type related.

Reading the posts in this thread, im thinking music preference is due to lots of other stuff other than type, and type has only a very minimal influence.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick

Thats a good point rick, different cultures and time periods have different emphisis on elements in the music. On average people therefore probably get used to and capture a liking towards different elements of music, depending on their culture they grew up in, the time period and other influence from peers/family etc, all of which are not type related.

Reading the posts in this thread, im thinking music preference is due to lots of other stuff other than type, and type has only a very minimal influence.
    I think a connection is definitely there, and a lot of the observations in your list seem close, but it's very hard to quantify.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would music comes first, only in that I cannot think of any band I listen to for the lyrics alone yet I enjoy many bands who have the vocals very low in the mix, or near absent altogether. That said, lyrics are still pretty important given the style of music - metal (unimportant), hardcore (important), indie-rock (semi-important) - and I think this essentially mirrors the subject matter. It'll be interesting to see how my lyrical appreciation changes as I age.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more of a lyrics person myself. One of the few it seems.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For me, the lyrics shouldn't be superfluous - they have to be to the point, and yet also not boring (i.e. like all the other songs ) - it must use the most appropriate words, often rarely used or eclectic words (or an eclectic concept, rarely covered) - so it shouldn't use the word 'love', unless it's in an ironic or unusual way. If the words or well-chosen + efficient in meaning, the lyrics provided fuel, and also allow me room to explore the concept\meaning of the song (there is beauty in its simplicity). I tend to prefer songs that are indirect or abstract - I prefer them to be generalised, rather than personalised - though they can be about historical people or events (e.g. about an unnamed solider at the battle of the Somme - he can have a name, too, if its not really important to the plot of the song ). I also tend to not like people singing about their 'bitches' or about pimping and street crime etc. - if a song has to be negative, it must be about some noble cause, or an universal experience or emotion.

(I might post some lyrics if people don't object ).

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I'm more of a lyrics person myself.
    Yeah, country music has great lyrics.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I'm more of a lyrics person myself.
    Yeah, country music has great lyrics.
    True. But I also listen to hip-hop, rap, and R&B and still say I'm a lyrics person. :wink:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lyrics are important, only in the fact that they must go with the music behind them. The songs I like usually have a nice, deep baseline. Speed of the song usually depends on my mood.

Favourite genres are rock and metal, really. Guitars for the win.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to agree with this. Although like Lux, I have been a musical snob in the past (I'm not quite so bad anymore) and I do like songs that relate to/reflect what I feel.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sentineneve
    I agree, music may not be based on type. Actually, sometimes I wonder if music has an influence on type when you exposed to certain kinds of music at a very young age.

Here is my little story about music and me:

I've always liked classical Baroque music since I was very little, especially Bach's Brandenburg concertos. One day about 6 years ago, I flew out to visit my dying grandfather. He was around a lot when I was extremely little. While I was in his condo, I noticed he had a very very large CD collection. I went through it and found a CD that had Bach's Brandenburg concertos. I put that into the CD player, and started playing it. His wife came out all amazed, and mentioned that was my grandfather's absolute favorite CD. I didn't think much of it, except note the coincidence. That's an awfully narrow and specific thing to share.

Well, after he died a year or two later, I happened to go clean out one of the rooms in my house. In the closet of my old bedroom, I found a black box covered in dust. I opened it up, and it contained tons and tons of old vinyl records. They were all in perfect condition. I started to pull the records out, and noticed almost all of them were Bach. The very first record was Bach's Brandenburg concertos. I asked my Mom where they were from, and she said that was my grandfather's most treasured record collection, and he kept all of his favorite records in there. Ok, that makes sense. He likes something when he's younger, he might still like it when he is older. Then, my Mom mentioned that he used to play the records for me every day when I was a baby for years.

Now that...that can't just be coincidence..can it? Music played all the time when I was a baby becomes my favorite music when I'm an adult. The strange thing is, I think my personality is very similar to that kind of music. I think a lot of people are mentioning music is related to their type. I think there has also been research that music has an influence when played for babies (Think Bach for Babies, and Genius of Mozart's). So, I guess that's what I'm a little curious about. It seems that music type can also influence socionic type, instead of just the other way around.
    Wow, super interesting post! I'm not sure but I'd like to hear what others think.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my life sux.. very little cool things happen. i ride bikes up mountains but have no grandfathers fck.
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    my life sux.. very little cool things happen. i ride bikes up mountains but have no grandfathers fck.
    that's more than what most people do anyway
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree. was thinking earlier than my accomplishments are more than most--should crush other men.
    '
    modern man has child then stops living life. does not propel child into development of manhood. propels child to civil life in favor of relaxaton, inactivity. child = weak.
    asd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'm a music snob. I probably used to be. Now I just think most people who are music snobs are rather misguided. Usually, it's a source of pointless frustration in the end.
    I'm a bit of a music snob, and it's awesome.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my music taste is all over the place, really.

I'm on a classical music kick at the moment... it conveys more emotion than most of the garbage people listen too.

Mainstream music annoys me. Half the time the lyrics don't make sense.
    EII

I'll tell you what
    there is plenty wrong with me
    but I fixed up a few old buildings
    and I've planted a few trees.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockclimber

I'm on a classical music kick at the moment... it conveys more emotion than most of the garbage people listen too.

well-founded arrogance. slept to waltz the other night--dreamd of romance.
    asd

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockclimber

i consider jack johnson mainstream.

a lot of what i like has arpeggios in it. blame it on seeking fe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I'm a bit of a music snob, and it's awesome.
    you are bit of asshole, form my isde less awesome than yours.l fucker
    asd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast