Thread: birth order and enneagram type

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default birth order and enneagram type

Have there been any studies on the affect birth order has on enneagram type? For instance... an eldest child might be more likely to be an 8, an only child a 4 or 5, a youngest child a 3, a middle child a 9, someone who is significantly older or younger than the rest of his/her siblings a 6, an only girl in a large family a 2, an only boy in a large family a 7, etc.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've heard conflicting studies on birth order's effect on personality. Which angle are you supposing?
    asd

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the situation (obviously), but I could see where birth order could play a role in one's enneagram type (since the description makes it sound like it's determined more so by upbringing than anything else).
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm eldest, and a 7, which is somewhat conflicting, I think?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily, if you consider 7 the "didn't get fucked up in any way during childhood" type.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Not necessarily, if you consider 7 the "didn't get fucked up in any way during childhood" type.
    lol, ok, but 7s are also thought about as being irresponsible etcc

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not every eldest child has to raise their siblings (or has overbearing or abusive or just plain foolish parents that they have to protect their siblings from).

Are your siblings close in age to you?
    SEE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm also the oldest and a 7. and i'm like the wildest person in my family....hahahaha

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Stop posting your birth order!

There's a guessing game in Anything Goes that you're excluding yourselves from.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youngest of two, 7. My older sister is a 9 or 1. Mother is the youngest of two, and an 8. My dad is the oldest of 4, and a 1.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can remember is that elder children are supposed to be more conservative or conformist, and younger siblings, more "rebellious" -- that's all I can remember.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My older sister is certainly more conservative, in some ways. But conformist? I'd fall under that category long before she ever would
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't work for me, either.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not every eldest child has to raise their siblings (or has overbearing or abusive or just plain foolish parents that they have to protect their siblings from).

Are your siblings close in age to you?
    i'm probably more responsible than my forum persona says, actually

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    The only thing I can remember is that elder children are supposed to be more conservative or conformist, and younger siblings, more "rebellious" -- that's all I can remember.
    I am not sure if that is always the case, but I suppose that is what your "supposed" disclaimer is signifies. While my sister is definitely liberal, I probably beat her in this aspect, though that may change later.

I do not think that the birth order necessarily changes or affects the actual type of the individual, but it does shape their experiences and personality, which can almost make the individual's characteristics to be almost atypical for their type. For example, as the oldest child, I have had to be the de facto spokeschild or representative of the siblings. When my family goes to social gatherings, I am expected to be the friendly child who talks to family friends and relatives, knowing the correct thing to say ( role, I guess) between myself and my younger INFj sister. So although my sister and I are both somewhat anti-social INxjs, my oldest child status has exposed me to greater amount of social situations and expectations.

True, but that does not mean that the eldest child should necessarily do nothing. I hate to use the cliche "it takes a village to raise a child," but it is hard to avoid being an older child and helping to raise the sibling (unless the elder children have moved out already). Also, if the elder child sees an injustice by the parents enacted to the younger siblings, it is expected that the elder siblings should be willing to stand up to the parents and at least say that they may want to reconsider or that they are wrong in their estimation of the offense or severity of the punishment.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    True, but that does not mean that the eldest child should necessarily do nothing. I hate to use the cliche "it takes a village to raise a child," but it is hard to avoid being an older child and helping to raise the sibling (unless the elder children have moved out already). Also, if the elder child sees an injustice by the parents enacted to the younger siblings, it is expected that the elder siblings should be willing to stand up to the parents and at least say that they may want to reconsider or that they are wrong in their estimation of the offense or severity of the punishment.
    Yes, especially when the parents are so far out of touch with reality that it's friggin scary, extremely strict, easily upset, and the siblings are either too timid to stand up for themselves or too volatile and irresponsible to communicate and be taken seriously.
    SEE

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm the 4th out of 5 and i got type 5 so

TIM
    EII/SLI- HN
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Have there been any studies on the affect birth order has on enneagram type? For instance... an eldest child might be more likely to be an 8, an only child a 4 or 5, a youngest child a 3, a middle child a 9, someone who is significantly older or younger than the rest of his/her siblings a 6, an only girl in a large family a 2, an only boy in a large family a 7, etc.
    I've seen some sources that say that Enneagram might depend on the parents' approach to raising the child (are they an active parent, a neutral parent, or a responsive parent?). If the parents' parenting style changes with subsequent kids, it could affect their enneagram.

I personally seem to be an Enneagram 6, and my dad seemed to be a responsive parent, while my mom seemed to be more of an active parent. However, I generally don't look up to my mom as much as my dad as a role model or parental figure. Therefore, her parenting style might have less influence on me than my dad's.

Generally, the theory behind parenting styles affecting Enneagram is that the parent could have one of 3 parenting styles, and the child could have one of 3 styles (also active, neutral, or responsive). The combination of both of these results in the child's Enneagram type. For example, Enneagram 6's are responsive children with responsive parents according to this theory.

Strangely, I notice that I also sometimes seem to have 8 characteristics when dealing with my mom as well. I think that my approach to her active style might have been to be active as well, based on what I remember doing as a kid. Enneagram 8's are theoretically people who were active children that had active parents.

I think that my Tritype doesn't have 8 in it.
    Last edited by Clarke; 11-01-2022 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Minor edits, updating information.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m #3 and the baby of the family.

idk what my dominant type is, maybe 9 idk. I seriously think it changes depending on my mood 946 something something so/sp or sp/so

a lot of anxiety growing up… my mom had a baby less than a year old die before me and I was a whoopsie baby…and my mom was pretty neurotic already. Idk where the 9 came from exactly…maybe because everyone was constantly fighting with each other in the house and I felt the obligation to deescalate things…maybe I was born with it a bit. More of a nature thing. Different Coping mechanism.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a half brother on my dad’s side who’s 16 years older than me. Idk if he’s the oldest according to birth order theory since I didn’t grow up with him and we don’t share the same mom. I’m technically my mom’s oldest child (2 minutes older than my twin sister lol).

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
    I've seen some sources that say that Enneagram might depend on the parents' approach to raising the child (are they an active parent, a neutral parent, or a responsive parent?). If the parents' parenting style changes with subsequent kids, it could affect their enneagram.

I personally seem to be an Enneagram 6, and my dad seemed to be a responsive parent, while my mom seemed to be more of an active parent. However, I generally don't look up to my mom as much as my dad as a role model or parental figure. Therefore, her parenting style might have less influence on me than my dad's.

Generally, the theory behind parenting styles affecting Enneagram is that the parent could have one of 3 parenting styles, and the child could have one of 3 styles (also active, neutral, or responsive). The combination of both of these results in the child's Enneagram type. For example, Enneagram 6's are responsive children with responsive parents according to this theory.

Strangely, I notice that I also sometimes seem to have 8 characteristics when dealing with my mom as well. I think that my approach to her active style might have been to be active as well, based on what I remember doing as a kid. Enneagram 8's are theoretically people who were active children that had active parents.

I think that my Tritype doesn't have 8 in it.
    Do you mind sharing your birth order here?

TIM
    EII/SLI- HN
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by get R View Post
    Do you mind sharing your birth order here?
    I'm an only child.

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first ennea 6 escond ennea 4
    other first ennea 6 second ennea 9
    https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    7s sound fucked up to me: spoiled brats.

TIM
    EII-Fi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first: 9w8 second: 2w3 third: 6w5 fourth: 4w3 fifth: 5w4
    first(only): 5w4
    we were all born in very different circumstances so i think my family is a bit confused