Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 41

Thread: Princess Bride

  1. #1
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Princess Bride

    Anybody seen this movie? What quadra might it be? Are the characters typeable?



    It's among my favorites.
    Last edited by Minde; 12-29-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: replacing broken image link
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Watched it literally a couple of days ago. Good movie. Very quotable.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #3
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol, I love that movie.
    I suspect that the bad guy with the lisp is ESTj. He reminds me of one real-life ESTj.

    Most characters are not seriously typable. If I forced a type on them, I would have to start with saying that the main charactrers are clearly duals. Very cute together. The guy could spend so long saying so little (beginning of the story), so he'd be the introvert, and she would be the extrovert. I don't think they have any quadra vibe together. Even the talk about true love doesn't make them Fi because it's also a Fe thing to have the most romantic life. How about if she is ESTj and he is INFj? That could work on many different aspects.

    I do think that the riming bad guys are activity partners. How about INFp to Enego Montoya (mistyped ) and ISTj to the giant.? Just guessing here.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Inigo Montoya was the coolest, regardless of type. Also, I think the movie was overall pretty Delta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  5. #5
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some Gamma, some Delta, some Alpha... Wesley seems ESE to me, but I think Buttercup is probably EII. Inigo Montoya is IEE, I think: he definitely seems EP, and I can't see him as Se or Ti. The giant could be LSE; a little too candid for LSI. The Sicilian guy is obviously LIE
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  6. #6
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Resurrecting! Thought I'd do that instead of starting a whole new thread...

    Yeah, it's clear that Wesley and Buttercup are supposed to be Duals, but I don't think that they really are.

    Inigo...I'm thinking Ni-PoLR, as he is so bent on his revenge that he has absolutely no plans for his future beyond that. So either ESE or LSE based on that. Though perhaps Ni Role could be a possibility, too: SEI or SLI.

    Wesley...I actually think he's more likely the Extravert than Buttercup. But I could be wrong. Probably not Se-Base, though. Maybe Te-Base? If Introverted, maybe Si-Base with Te-Creative. I actually think he and Inigo could be Identicals. At the very least, Mirrors.

    Buttercup is hard to type, as I don't think she is a very well-developed character compared to the others. She is rather dull, IMO. I do get an Fe-vibe from her, though. Maybe SEI. idk.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

  7. #7
    Creepy-male

    Default

    I would think ESI for Iñigo. Isn't he mostly built around his personal quest for revenge?

  8. #8
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    I would think ESI for Iñigo. Isn't he mostly built around his personal quest for revenge?
    Actually, you may be right. Gamma, at least.

    Here's an ugly possibility for Wesley and Buttercup: what if Wesley is actually Buttercup's Supervisor? No really. Think about it.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

  9. #9
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Inigo Montoya: ISTp
    Vizzini: ENTp
    Masked Dude: ESTj

    still need to see the whole thing.

  10. #10
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    Dumbass sensor alert. You'll have to spell it out for me.
    Sure.

    Supervision is an asymmetric relation (like relations of benefit) in which one partner, the supervisor, is in a more powerful position psychologically than the other, the supervisee.
    It is clear to me that Wesley is the leader in the relationship. Buttercup's just along for the ride, always following his lead. I can't remember one instance in the entire movie when Wesley turned to Buttercup and said anything along the lines of, "you're right." He was always the one reassuring her, instructing her. She did stand up for herself once, right before she pushed Wesley down the hill.

    This is due to the correlation of partners' functions, which allows the supervisor to put more psychological pressure on the supervisee through his leading function than vice versa.
    Assuming Wesley is ESTj and Buttercup is ISFp, his leading function (Te) would be exerting pressure on her Vulnerable Te.

    Typically, the supervisee feels somewhat wary or careful about his words when approaching a supervisor. This innate wariness can develop into a full-fledged supervision "syndrome" if given the right conditions, or it can remain at a manageable level if neither person is in a position of power over the other, and partners do not overstep the natural bounds of the relationship.
    I can't say that I recall any of this^ happening.

    Common ground between supervision partners is usually attained by the supervisor resonating with the leading function of the supervisee (which is his creative function).
    Si.

    Common ground can also be reached through the suggestive function of the supervisee, which is the valued mobilizing function of the supervisor. However, both are weak in this area and tend to only discuss their pursuits rather than actually doing them together.
    Ne.

    The supervisor is usually interested in what the supervisee does and says, but at the same time feels like it is often in need of modification or reformulation from the point of view of his leading function.
    Again, leading Te vs. Vulnerable Te. Wesley must always be correcting Buttercup's faulty reasoning, and educating her about the world (this aspect of the relationship is even more noticeable in the book).

    For a working relationship or friendship to work, the supervisor must exercise discipline and avoid commenting on the supervisee's weak points as he sees them.
    And this, Wesley does.

    In the romantic sphere, the supervisor often finds the supervisee's use of his demonstrative function alluring, but will ultimately be unsatisfied with its sporadic nature.
    Fi. Note how Wesley questions Buttercup's faithfulness before revealing his identity.

    The supervisee in turn sees the supervisor as an admirable but somewhat bewildering persona.
    Buttercup expresses bewilderment with Wesley several times throughout the movie. Wesley amazes her, but she hardly seems to understand him.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

  11. #11
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Buttercup - LSE-Si
    Wesley- ESI-Si
    Iñigo- ESI-Fi
    Fezzik- EII-Si
    Vizzini- SLE-Ne
    Humperdink- LIE-Te
    Six-fingered man- ILI-Ne

    The overall tone of the movie seems Gamma/Delta.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  12. #12
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vizzini- SLE-Ne


    This is why I hate DCNH.

  13. #13
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What is it that everybody sees as IJ-ish in Inigo Montoya; there is just nothing abrupt about him. He is a stereotype Si Base type. Even has the characteristic attitude of down-to-earth modesty...

  14. #14
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vizzini could be ILE, but he seems to be driven and very impatient, which is anathema to dominance. ILEs think long-term. SLEs demand resuts right the fuck now.

    So if he's ILE then he's ILE-Se, and DCNH is still useful to make sense of his behavior. However, I think the way he takes in information is more sensory -- in the duel of wits, for example, he was not genuinely brainstorming. He was tossing ideas out to check for a reaction from Wesley -- a cue that he was on the right track.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  15. #15
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    What is it that everybody sees as IJ-ish in Inigo Montoya; there is just nothing abrupt about him. He is a stereotype Si Base type. Even has the characteristic attitude of down-to-earth modesty...
    He has the stubbornness and steady determination and drive of an IJ. His one and only reason to exist was to avenge his father -- he did not deviate from it. That existence would have drained out an SxI already.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  16. #16
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MBTI and Enneagram

    Wesley- ISFP 6w7 sx/so
    Buttercup- ISFP 9w8 sx/so
    Iñigo- ISTJ 6w5 sx/sp
    Fezzik- ISFJ 2w3 sx/so
    Vizzini- ESTP 8w7 sp/sx
    Humperdink- ENTJ 8w9 sp/so
    Six-fingered man- INTP 5w6 sp/so

    EDIT: and come to think of it Vizzini is no ILE. Were I typing him without DCNH I'd type him SLE-Se, and I think he may be just that anyway. That or SLE-Te...
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  17. #17
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Minde,

    Why doesn't my computer open up your photo link?

  18. #18
    Creepy-male

    Default

    8-subtypes is not koscher DCNH. Typically anyway the strengthened function within your sub-temperament is going to be whichever one was strong to begin with. (Se in a C-SEI, Ni in a H-ILE.)

  19. #19
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    He has the stubbornness and steady determination and drive of an IJ. His one and only reason to exist was to avenge his father -- he did not deviate from it. That existence would have drained out an SxI already.
    From experience, not necessarily. I'm living a situation now where someone has consistently mistreated a loved one of mine and has more than earned having no possible way of redeeming himself.

    While The Determinator does seem like a typically ISj sort of thing, Mama Bear/Papa Wolf/generalised protecting important friends and loved ones is easily within the realm of Se ignoring.

    The thing with all Id functions is that you only "know" them when something runs up against them. Otherwise they remain mentally out of sight (STEALTH PUN HOOOOOO). e.g. territorial, physically expansive Se dominants vs laid-back, space-adaptive Si dominants who become very territorially defensive if their space is encroached upon (triggered Se vs driving Se).

    Two things to keep in mind: A) Iñigo's father was killed
    B) It's a work of fiction, caricatures and liberties with IMs are to expected.

  20. #20
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    8-subtypes is not koscher DCNH. Typically anyway the strengthened function within your sub-temperament is going to be whichever one was strong to begin with. (Se in a C-SEI, Ni in a H-ILE.)
    My understanding of 8-subtype is that they strengthen a given attitude, which may not even have anything to do with the actual element it references to. For example, Te stresses efficiency, but Te subtype stresses control. IEI-Te is therefore quite common despite IEI being Te-PoLR.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  21. #21
    Creepy-male

    Default

    If 8-subtypes strengthens some mysterious anything that has nothing to do with the element being strengthened, then what even is the point?

    That's like saying that macaque subtype donkeys have strengthened muzzle length. It's a complete non sequitur.

  22. #22
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    If 8-subtypes strengthens some mysterious anything that has nothing to do with the element being strengthened, then what even is the point?
    The point is expanding the original types. Gulenko's elements aren't elements in the classical sense, but rather placeholders used to refine his DCNH subtypes (in fact I'd go as far as to say DCNH is a parallel typing system rather than a subtype system). If they were type elements there'd be no need for subtypes as they'd merely define the lead function.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  23. #23
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    DCNH is a rationalization system for obfuscating mistypes. When the typing can't be defended without reference to DCNH, the typing is probably wrong.

  24. #24
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    DCNH is a rationalization system for obfuscating mistypes. When the typing can't be defended without reference to DCNH, the typing is probably wrong.
    That's because a lot of people don't understand DCNH.

    Vizzini is SLE, DCNH or no DCNH.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  25. #25
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    DCNH is a rationalization system for obfuscating mistypes. When the typing can't be defended without reference to DCNH, the typing is probably wrong.
    I think that's the most obvious misuse of it, yes, but the same could be said of two-subtypes.

    I mean, you can't say that, for instance, it's useful to look to DCNH to explain away some of the incongruities I have with any potential typings, since IIRC you basically consider me untypeable, yeah?

  26. #26
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the same could be said of two-subtypes.
    Now you've got the ball rolling my friend.

  27. #27
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vizzini is SLE, DCNH or no DCNH.
    Why do I get the suspicion that your typing is just based on this age old stereotype that villains are always Beta. Vizzini is in every sense a mental character. You got his typing half right in the sense that he behaves in every way like an ESTp except that he uses his brains where an ESTp would use his fists or intimidatory abilities. This is exactly what should be expected of an ENTp. Vizzini couldn't intimidate a child. There is nothing imposing about him. He has close to zero Se.

  28. #28
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Minde,

    Why doesn't my computer open up your photo link?
    Because the link is broken, apparently. I'll fix it by linking in another picture.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  29. #29
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Why do I get the suspicion that your typing is just based on this age old stereotype that villains are always Beta. Vizzini is in every sense a mental character. You got his typing half right in the sense that he behaves in every way like an ESTp except that he uses his brains where an ESTp would use his fists or intimidatory abilities. This is exactly what should be expected of an ENTp. Vizzini couldn't intimidate a child. There is nothing imposing about him. He has close to zero Se.
    Vizzini is ILI or LIE imo, if you look at the exchange between him and Wesley, Vizzini concentrates on the facts and tries to make predictions.

    I think Wesley is actually multiple types for the film but in this particular scenario he's ILE. ILE aren't really improvisational in the sense of creating something out of nothing on the spot, but they have a good grasp of possibilities that might happen without committing, and they prepare for a set of possibilities using various tools, such as building a immunity to posion.

    A ILE would have a really hard time playing and risking his life on his predictions. I would have just stabbed Wesley while his back was turned or something else. I still have the hostage and can user her again if I failed.

    As far as ILE's having no Se, Se isn't that weak in your 3rd function and aren't really wimps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Filatova
    An exception to this case is when another person desires to use him for their own purposes, to force him into some activities. In such a situation he will give energetic resistance, decisively defending himself from another’s pressure. In protecting himself he can often manifest his hot temper and impatience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulenko ILE
    By the nature of non-aggressive, but their lifestyles and their theories can stand very active. The attempt to subordinate themselves unreasonable, in his view, restrictions reacts very violently. If it provide military pressure, tutzhe goes into a short but strong, counter-attack. At the same time so excited that at the time of losing control over their actions. During the call, trying to capture all the attention of the interlocutor. In this heavily gesticulating, speaks with a loud voice, wagging in the hands of some object or touches to his companion. Although it may respond to the challenge, but long-term competition can not stand because they do not have the strength to keep himself in the mobilized state. Therefore avoids direct competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzini
    Fezzik: You never said anything about killing anyone.
    Vizzini: I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.
    Fezzik: I just don't think it's right, killing an innocent girl.
    Vizzini: Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass.
    Inigo Montoya: I agree with Fezzik.
    Vizzini: Oh, the sot has spoken. What happens to her is not truly your concern. I will kill her. And remember this, never forget this: when I found you, you were so slobbering drunk, you couldn't buy Brandy!
    [turning to Fezzik]
    Vizzini: And you: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed in Greenland!
    Other quotes which make me think Vizzini is Te ego. He threatens Inigo and Fezzik with being fired. I have a hard time believing this person is ILE under any situation.

  30. #30
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vizzini is ILI
    Too extroverted.

    or LIE
    Too irrational.

    And I do mean "waaaay too" on both counts.

    Obviously you're not going to identify fully with a person that is dedicated to fulfilling a malicious plan. He is an "evil" version of ENTp, so some of the nastier parts of the character are emphasized.

  31. #31
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Why do I get the suspicion that your typing is just based on this age old stereotype that villains are always Beta.
    I remember typing thebig bad and his dragon from the same movie Gamma NT...

    Vizzini is in every sense a mental character. You got his typing half right in the sense that he behaves in every way like an ESTp except that he uses his brains where an ESTp would use his fists or intimidatory abilities. This is exactly what should be expected of an ENTp. Vizzini couldn't intimidate a child. There is nothing imposing about him. He has close to zero Se.
    There's nothing imposing about him simply because his aggressive persona is being played for laughs. He's not a sneaky manipulative bastard, and completely lacks the patience to be so, which I'd expect from an Se-leading type. I type Cal Lightman SLE-Se for the same reason -- he's intelligent and guile, but extremeny in-your-face, pushy and direct.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  32. #32
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i'd consider ILE & EIE especially for vizzini. Se dom no way.

  33. #33
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Too extroverted.

    Too irrational.

    And I do mean "waaaay too" on both counts.

    Obviously you're not going to identify fully with a person that is dedicated to fulfilling a malicious plan. He is an "evil" version of ENTp, so some of the nastier parts of the character are emphasized.
    I'm not sure if he's too irrational or too extroverted. It's not like it's "INCONCEIVABLE" for him to be that way based on his verbalization.

    I'm not sure evil would make him verbalize differently, his focus on work, payment for services, social status.

    "friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless!"

    These are all devalued topics for a ILE. I don't usually rely heavily on dichotomies to type when functional preference is in evidence.

    And extroversion/introversion vs extratim and introtim is something that is discussed as being quite different in socionics vs other typologies.

  34. #34
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    EIE especially for vizzini.
    I can see EIE for Vizzini too.

  35. #35
    not gonna be around as much anymore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vizzini is an EIE with delusions of being SLE.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

  36. #36
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Come on guys he's supposed to be funny. He's a silly little Sicilian prick running around shouting orders at everybody. He's not a sneaky manipulative bastard or a Monster Clown like an Intuitive Extrovert leader would be.

    btw Labcoat why are you assuming one would automatically not wanna identify with an evil character? Evil can be pretty damn cool (otherwise it'd be damn depressing being Beta). In fact, evil being cool is a trope.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  37. #37
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Come on guys he's supposed to be funny. He's a silly little Sicilian prick running around shouting orders at everybody.
    Well maybe he's trying to be all "Se" but he's just being pathetic. Those (adults) who resort to whining and telling people what to do toddler-style in the way of charged outbursts that no one can really take seriously strike me as trying to compensate for something. Actually I'm liking the idea of Vizzini as Beta NF more and more because he also has horrible Ti but he likes to make big demonstrations of how "clever" he is (for instance his silly narrowing down of which glass was poisoned). I mean he is a silly character and is supposed to be, but I cannot at all take him seriously as Se dominant, just no way. As said I see his Se as pathetic and he lives in his own fantasy world where he's a clever logician when he just sucks at it. So I think I'll revise my considerations to Beta NF or Alpha SF. Perhaps IEI or SEI (as actually I don't think he has to be an extrovert in the socionics sense).

    Also his whole speech about which glass was poisoned was also clearly to gain validation from the man in black that he is indeed very clever to support his self-image. Those with strong Ti don't need others to validate it for them (they know they are good at it). In fact Vizzini is very centered on his image and very aware of how he is or wants to be seen by others (but he's apparently unaware of how obvious this is and I think that even Inigo and Fezzick were aware of this and were often just trying to humor him (they didn't take him seriously either).

    Anyway Vizzini I seem to recall is very talented at screaming and yelling and others might wince just because of the noise not necessarily because he's in any way succeeded in intimidating them. (Hopefully my mind isn't inventing things as it's been forever since I've seen this)

    And upon even more thought I actually like the IEI possibility. (perhaps his tendency to scream and yell is based on his low stamina in part... sort of like how babies cry just because they're having a tough time getting through the present and their needs aren't being immediately satisfied... this is going badly and I may just need to dismiss it but perhaps Vizzini was building up a sort of facade and bravado to sort of keep himself going as a sort of work-around for his low stamina... I could see him as someone who struggles to get through the present and who might release his suffering via whining or emotional outbursts)

    People with high stamina can "soldier on" better without coming undone so easily or screaming at people for making a mistake or not being perfect. I think that Vizzini enjoyed badgering others though and pointing out how incompetent they were because it made him feel smarter and more competent himself (again, compensating for something). I think he was struggling at getting through the present (to just get to the end of this task so he can get paid... well, assuming he wasn't paid upfront) so screaming at others helped get him through it and make him feel better.

    Anyway you can rip this apart since well it's pretty bad hehe.
    Last edited by inumbra; 01-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.

  38. #38
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    EIE works. His Se is too visible and he's too eager about it for IEI -- IEIs are manipulative pansies.

    He's by far the most pathetic EIE villain I've seen then. Though now that I think of it he does kinda remind me of Yzma (though Yzma is more awesome and funnier).
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  39. #39
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    EIE works. His Se is too visible and he's too eager about it for IEI -- IEIs are manipulative pansies.

    He's by far the most pathetic EIE villain I've seen then. Though now that I think of it he does kinda remind me of Yzma (though Yzma is more awesome and funnier).
    okay fine (i still don't have a real opinion), but anyway he's more of a stooge for hire anyway (humperdink is the "real" villain cough). vizzini probably is really unhappy... he's in the low social class probably and so he's broke and needs money to get by and since he's dirty and immoral he's willing to do dirty jobs that might pay a little more. maybe i saw him as having a sort of fantasy image/self because it is an escape from his miserable existence (which as much as some of the other characters make more of that existence, the point is that it sucks and most people are just going to suck in it).

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think of this as a very Alpha movie. My parents are Alphas and watched it tons of times.

    I'm going to guess INTj for Wesley, ISFp for Buttercup, ENTp for crazy sicilian guy, big giant either ISFp or ISTp, eveil man w/ 6 fingers seems ISTj or ISFj.

    I'd say Wesley is an introvert because he does mostly acts of service silently for Buttercup, saying only "As you wish." He seems logical also. He mostly says facts. Such as in the fireswamp, he's like "well we know about the giant rats, and we know xyz, so we can live happily in here for some time." He is also witty and has sort of a poker face and doesn't smile much or make expressions. He has that appearing to be tough thing w/ the pirate act, but yet is not as tough as he appears (such as when he pretends to be tough but has no strength and is bluffing). And he doesn't really want to be a pirate, and happily gives that title away to someone else. So he's prob not an ISTp (who would want to be a pirate).

    Buttercup is just a girly girl who gets emotional easily. She is fiesty too though and stands up to her horrible boyfriend guy and says to be nice to Wesley. She gets really sad when the mean old lady in the crowd yells at her, and says "why would you say such a thing?" and she wears her emotions on her sleeve. She also is about to kill herself when she hears Wesley is dead, so very impulsive. So I'd guess ISFp.

    Indigo, I'm not sure about. But probably F and P for sure. Could be an ENFp. Not very good at sword fighting, but his passion for his hurt feelings gets him through.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •