Thread: An appeciation for strong tastes

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An appeciation for strong tastes

If this turns into an anything goes thread, move it there, but I am serious about this.

Do you notice any correlation between types and the severity of tastes they enjoy?
    Myself, I prefer almost ONLY strong tastes. I dislike anything diluted, watered down, or weakened.

For example, I just covered my hamburger(s) in a bunch of Jalapeño mustard, and I figure I would have some Schweppes (the hardest ginger ale available at the time) with it as well. The hot mustard and the burning carbon/ginger mix was very enjoyable.

And yet, I know other people who do not like such things. Personal preference you think?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: An appeciation for strong tastes

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    If this turns into an anything goes thread, move it there, but I am serious about this.

Do you notice any correlation between types and the severity of tastes they enjoy?
    Myself, I prefer almost ONLY strong tastes. I dislike anything diluted, watered down, or weakened.

For example, I just covered my hamburger(s) in a bunch of Jalapeño mustard, and I figure I would have some Schweppes (the hardest ginger ale available at the time) with it as well. The hot mustard and the burning carbon/ginger mix was very enjoyable.

And yet, I know other people who do not like such things. Personal preference you think?
    Well I hate weak coffee, as it would probably be just as well to drink hot water. And I will generally not put cream or sugar in my coffee.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i think it has to do with weak sensing. I only like very heavy tastes or very bland tastes. No inbetween.

I thought you meant you only like people who have considered taste.. that is Si imo.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer strong tastes also. I love strong coffee, dark chocolate, spicy things are good (although not TOO strong), etc.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my food as spicy as possible.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like rich, complex tastes. The more pronouced, the better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer subtle simple tastes. Garlic sauteed in olive oil on pasta is a good example. A fine slice of multigrain bread has flavor beyond a lot complex dishes. I like spices, but prefer the natural tastes of foods, especially vegetables.
    asd

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about strong tastes, but I tend to like bitter tastes like garlic and brussel sprouts.

There's no such thing as too much garlic!
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bitter is better than other tastes. Spinach, sprouts, garlic. if it's green and bitter than means it's very good for you!
    asd

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

One time, I ate an anchovies and jalapeño pizza with ginger beer to drink. Talk about sensory overload.

Being a cook, I've learned pretty well to appreciate both strong and subtle flavors. They definitely require an entirely different kind of appreciation.

When it comes to favorite qualities of a food, I'd say fresh and crispy. I love the taste of fresh vegetables. As far as types of food go, Mexican is amazing: I loves chips and salsa, guacamole on pretty much anything, chimichangas, tacos, etc. Spicy is definitely good, but I can't run with the people who dump habanero all over everything. Seafood is also excellent. I prefer lobster to any other meat on the planet. Sushi or sashimi is heavenly. Also, when seasoned properly, a nice white fish can taste better than any steak. Salmon and tuna are best raw. Clams and oysters with melted butter is heavenly. And of course I have to say, a nice medium-rare filet with garlic mashed potatoes and glass of merlot is hard to beat
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    I prefer strong tastes also. I love strong coffee, dark chocolate, spicy things are good (although not TOO strong), etc.
    yah same, I always drink espresso black, bitter like life, lol, tho sometimes when I buy coffee (Tim Hortons doesn't sell espresso, like wtf bloody wankers!) I'll take it with a little milk cuz I don't wanna wait for it to cool down and i hate burning my tongue on hot coffee
    INFp-Ni

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing up in a big Indian family, all the dishes were heavily spiced. I've gotten the reputation as the wuss of the family spice-wise. They will all (including my ESTp brother) be literally taking bites out of a raw green chili peppers and I'll be in the corner in fetal position with steam coming out of my ears and tears in my eyes. I think I have a higher tolerance for the stuff than most people through mere exposure.

I like flavors that you can talk about like perfume - different notes and subtle hints of flavor/aroma/texture.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ewww, Auvi's a wineo.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha, strangely enough I hate wine. Tastes exactly like what it is: ancient, rotting grapes. Also I hate talking about food. Makes me hungry.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O_o

You are a crazy person. Good wine is to any other drink as sex is to a handjob.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had "light yogurt" - I seriously feel like vomiting right now.

I could not even bring myself to finishing it. I only ate 3/4 of the cup.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever eaten plain yogurt? It's better than any of the flavored kinds, if you ask me. It's got this nice tangy taste, not to mention that you can actually TASTE the fruit you put in it (should you choose to do so), and not that crappy artificial bullshit they put in most yogurt, or the month-old soggy-ass blueberries they put in the rest. Bleagh.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Have you ever eaten plain yogurt? It's better than any of the flavored kinds, if you ask me. It's got this nice tangy taste, not to mention that you can actually TASTE the fruit you put in it (should you choose to do so), and not that crappy artificial bullshit they put in most yogurt, or the month-old soggy-ass blueberries they put in the rest. Bleagh.

agree with this.

regarding the spice-lovers what with the ginger ale and all.

blenheim is the best for hot ginger ale. it even comes in a special "hot" flavor.

i'm with the people who have stated that they love spicy food/spicy food as hot as possible. i tend to like indian spice more than mexican/jalapeno pepper type spice though.

@UDP - i have read specifically ISFp & ENFj as two types who like strong tastes etc. i don't know how type related it is, though. it seems like there are a lot of intuitives who appreciate hot spicy things as much as the next guy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer subtle simple tastes. Garlic sauteed in olive oil on pasta is a good example. A fine slice of multigrain bread has flavor beyond a lot complex dishes. I like spices, but prefer the natural tastes of foods, especially vegetables.
    what he said exactly
    INFP

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking about this over the past week while picking foods. I've realized the one thing that I need in order to enjoy any food: contrast

I think I lack the accuity of taste to appreciate and enjoy solitary flavors. I need something to punctuate and balance the taste/texture of a food or else I lose the ability to distinguish a food from styrofoam packing peanuts. I think this is why I like Thai food so much. Indian cuisine will do this a lot, also. Often something savory and spicy will be paired with a sweet/sour chutney. Even the chutney itself will be a combination of sweet and spicy. Raisins and currants will often make their way into otherwise savory rice dishes. Bitter vegetables will be mingled with buttery squash/potatoes.

On Gilly's example of multigrain bread: I'd need something to complement the texture of the bread and also to emphasize the sweetness of the grain. Otherwise, after the first bite, my perception of the flavor sort of dissolves away.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh.. Love plain yogurt.

And wine.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just today I read that people with a zinc deficiency have a dulled sense of taste.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plain yoghurt with a little honey. Very nice mix.

What I fucking love is marmite and butter on shitty, white nappy bread toast. Hundreds of slices. Heaven.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    yeah i think it has to do with weak sensing...

I thought you meant you only like people who have considered taste.. that is Si imo.
    I agree with this. Weak Si - strong/contrasting tastes; strong Si - moderate/balanced/refined/delicate tastes.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra

What I fucking love is marmite and butter on shitty, white nappy bread toast. Hundreds of slices. Heaven.
    Wash your mouth out.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really notice the tastes I like...

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra

Wash your mouth out.
    I want to see Bullet's reply to this one..
    No, we're on a truce now. He knows he doesn't have to annoy me anymore.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a cook, I've learned pretty well to appreciate both strong and subtle flavors. They definitely require an entirely different kind of appreciation.

When it comes to favorite qualities of a food, I'd say fresh and crispy. I love the taste of fresh vegetables. As far as types of food go, Mexican is amazing: I loves chips and salsa, guacamole on pretty much anything, chimichangas, tacos, etc. Spicy is definitely good, but I can't run with the people who dump habanero all over everything. Seafood is also excellent. I prefer lobster to any other meat on the planet. Sushi or sashimi is heavenly. Also, when seasoned properly, a nice white fish can taste better than any steak. Salmon and tuna are best raw. Clams and oysters with melted butter is heavenly. And of course I have to say, a nice medium-rare filet with garlic mashed potatoes and glass of merlot is hard to beat
    Gilly, you are a man after my own heart! I agree with everything you've written here, to the word. With the notable exception that I prefer clams and oysters raw along with salmon and tuna. And the merlot. F**ing merlot...

Sushi/sashimi! I need an unagi fix.

I like complex flavors; a cook's ability to match and pair flavors is always intriguing. I very much enjoy going out to new restaurants, and will usually choose a meal based on how interesting I find the pairing of ingredients. Never used to be able to tolerate spicy, but lately, I've been becoming more tolerant. Thai food, wasabi, mexican w/a bit of kick. Don't know that I'll ever graduate to habanero, though. Too much and my tongue and lips begin to burn. I'm of the mindset that it's not a good thing when all taste is entirely obscured by searing pain.

But I can't stand bland overall. Usually find mass market things "too sweet" or "too salty" for my taste. And when I make tomato sauce, I throw in lots of oregano, basil, a bit of cayenne, and garlic until it tastes balanced. Rich food (like cream sauces) simply tastes too heavy for my palate. Ditto with overly fried or dense.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love intensity. intense chocolate milk. thick hot fudge. hot hot hot salsa. garlicky garlicky garlic bread with cheese. oh so sweet banana creama pie.

when things are too bland, i'm like meh.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i could have steak forever and ever. i like the tangy taste of lemonade, the aroma of vanilla, sweet cherry pie, caramel, cognac, a sexy woman's perfume. when i'm hungry, i don't even taste food i just pillage everything in sight. coworkers pulling pranks on me often say i got no tastebuds. hmmm, pork liver, chicken breasts, white wine, shepherd's pie, honey, the strong bitter flavour of poon tang. hmmm...
    IEI - the nasty kind...