Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: IM in Electronic Communication

  1. #1
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default IM in Electronic Communication

    ok so i was talking to a friend today about her relationship...she's an infj but i'm not sure what he is. anyway she was saying that they cannot solve any problems or talk about complex issues on the phone. i've noticed i can't do this with my man either. we've had to expressly say "we can't do this right now." i have attributed this difficulty to things like not being able to read the other person's body language or catch emotional nuances as well as you can in person.

    so what i'm wondering though is whether the IM of an intertype relation would be exaggerated in electronic forms of communication, esp the phone. can you identify type more easily based on what people say on the phone? can you identify problems in relations better from this?

    not considering email as much since you can ponder what to say in an email for hours if you like.

    What do we think? Discuss.....

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  2. #2
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: IM in Electronic Communication

    Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    ok so i was talking to a friend today about her relationship...she's an infj but i'm not sure what he is. anyway she was saying that they cannot solve any problems or talk about complex issues on the phone. i've noticed i can't do this with my man either. we've had to expressly say "we can't do this right now." i have attributed this difficulty to things like not being able to read the other person's body language or catch emotional nuances as well as you can in person.

    so what i'm wondering though is whether the IM of an intertype relation would be exaggerated in electronic forms of communication, esp the phone. can you identify type more easily based on what people say on the phone? can you identify problems in relations better from this?

    not considering email as much since you can ponder what to say in an email for hours if you like.

    What do we think? Discuss.....
    IM? This is confusing, I think you're talking about a Socionics term (and I feel like I've seen it before, and it's related to functions or something, but I don't remember what it means). Remember, this is a thread on Electronic Communication. "IM" has more than one meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  3. #3
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    information metabolism. IM. heh.

    how does information come forth on the phone? you only have words and tone of voice to go by....does this boil down the intertype relation more or less?

    does that help?

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  4. #4
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nice thread.

    I have paid extremely much attention to these forms of communication, in my younger typing days.

    Feeling intrapersonal relationships is most easy:

    1) in real life
    2) telephone
    3) msn chatting
    4) email

    Telephone is a good way of typing someone in a different way then you would in real life. Indeed because you can only pay attention to his/her speech pattern, use of language, laughing coughing and all strange little details that you never paid attention to in real life...

  5. #5
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hate the phone. I always have the sense that the person could hang up at any moment and the discussion won't get fully elaborated, or that they're concentrating on something else other than what I'm saying. I just don't get the same feeling of commitment to the issue as you get when the person is physically there with you.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  6. #6
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    personally I think there's too much being left out with communications over the phone... like you said, body language etc etc.. supposedly what we say is only like 25% of communication, the rest is nonverbal. So anyways... on the phone you're only getting like a quarter of the interraction or whatever. I bet the subconscious tries to fill stuff in using the model you've got of the person in your head, but that's not going to be the real thing... hence lots of room for errors. Surface level interractions we can get by, but for anything more intense... yeah... fuck the phone. It's gotta be in person or else it's gunna get all fucked up.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I hate the phone. I always have the sense that the person could hang up at any moment and the discussion won't get fully elaborated, or that they're concentrating on something else other than what I'm saying. I just don't get the same feeling of commitment to the issue as you get when the person is physically there with you.
    Do you think that could be weak ?

  8. #8
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I hate the phone. I always have the sense that the person could hang up at any moment and the discussion won't get fully elaborated, or that they're concentrating on something else other than what I'm saying. I just don't get the same feeling of commitment to the issue as you get when the person is physically there with you.
    Do you think that could be weak ?
    I'm not sure I see a link between what I said and .
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  9. #9
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,633
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's Fe.

  10. #10
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hate the phone. I can't read body language. I don't know when to stop talking, when to start talking.
    However, I find instant messengers to be very good, as long as the other party knows how to use emoticons appropriately.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  11. #11
    eunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    Ne-INFj
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I hate the phone. I can't read body language. I don't know when to stop talking, when to start talking.
    However, I find instant messengers to be very good, as long as the other party knows how to use emoticons appropriately.
    Ditto. I hate the awkward silence that can occur over the phone. On the other hand, I realize that the ISTps I have known IRL have a bad habit of hanging up on me without giving any indication that they are hanging up soon. A situation of weak ?

  12. #12
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Absolutely.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  13. #13
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    seems like we think the phone is deficient in facilitating full communication. i was thinking that the phone could be kind of like a filter, screening extraneous information out; that the phone sort of the leeches the person's IM type out or something. can we consider this?

    do duals or activity partners have less trouble on the phone than other relational configurations?

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  14. #14
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    I feel lost and unnattached to the conversation no matter who I'm talking to on the phone. For some reason it's not nearly as bad over a computer

  15. #15
    BLauritson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe it's because, whereas over the phone you can hear their voice but you can't actually see them, over the computer it's more like reading a letter they'd sent rather than an active conversation. Perhaps? Maybe? No? *scuttles backwards into a small corner*
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

    "IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

    Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

  16. #16
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,950
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I read the title of this thread, I thought that diamond8 had got a job in telecommunications - I was momentarily irate in the belief she had posted in the wrong forum. I am now pleased to see this is not the case. Continue...
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  17. #17
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    When I read the title of this thread, I thought that diamond8 had got a job in telecommunications - I was momentarily irate in the belief she had posted in the wrong forum. I am now pleased to see this is not the case. Continue...
    lol what forum did you think i should have posted on?

    but there might be great applications to telecommunications...hmmmm

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •