What does it feel like?

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some seem to be fine with solitude. Rationals and logical extraverts tend to be better able to cope with it. I actually know many introverts (myself included) who cannot go without human contact for very long without feeling lonely, neurotic and restless. I can't speak for extraverts in regards to how it feels for them. I suspect it's no different than what it feels like for introverts - our extraverted ego function needing to find an outlet/stimulation.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    I'm usually alright with it, but I might get restless after a bit.
    Yeah, I was about to say, restless is probably the best way to describe how I'd feel after a while.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel alright with it, but when I actually get human contact, I realize I wasn't feeling that good.

If I get exercise/movement, though, I can go without contact for long.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda go through spells where im ok to be alone for long peroids of time and i dont think anything of it, im perfectly comfortable with it and dont need or want that much social interaction. Other times....like a the moment, I want lots and lots of human interaction, and I start noticing very quickly when im alone and its a bit depressing when there is no-one who wants to meet up or do anything. At these times I usually try to arange things with people so that I dont go very long without company.

Any one else have this kinda pattern?

Just in my experience, ESTp's and ESFp's seem to want the most interaction with people, they can pester people quite badly to avoid being alone.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm doing something else that I feel to be productive and/or interesting and/or useful, I can go without company for a very long time.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I *hate* being alone. Just hate it. I go out with people almost everyday for hours to avoid the feeling of sitting alone. However, if I've had a day of a lot of activity.. I might go another couple days doing not much, but rarely do I ever just stay home entirely. I always see someone for a few hours, etc. It's just .. it helps me cope. I love talking with people. I can't stand the feeling of being lonely. It is one of my worst fears - to not have someone to tell things to, to not have others tell things to me. Yeah, I don't really feel the supposed "burn out" introverts feel after a long-time interaction with people.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For being an introvert, I cannot tolerate being alone. I do need quiet time to get away from everything, but if that goes on for a prolonged period, I get bored and depressed and anxious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd much prefer to be with my peeps. but if forced, i can tolerate being alone. that said, i'd always choose to be with others.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm at home, I prefer to be alone since I tend to associate my home environment with comfort and solitude. I especially hate it when I'm doing a solitary activity and I get interrupted.

On the OTHER hand, when I'm out of the house (e.g. at work), I'm very prone to feelings of loneliness. I remember several weeks ago, we had a work outing to a local comedy club. Not all of us could fit on one table, and, although we were waiting for a few others to arrive, I sat on my own on an adjacent table at first. Just that started making me anxious, wanting someone to come sit with me so I wouldn't be alone. After several minutes, everyone came over to my table anyway since it was close to an air conditioner in an otherwise stuffy room. That set me at ease then.

Just out of curiosity, the situation above. Could that be attributed to PoLR and/or HA? Or am I just a psychological wreck? (Not that the latter answer would be news to me anyway )
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    I love talking with people. I can't stand the feeling of being lonely. It is one of my worst fears - to not have someone to tell things to, to not have others tell things to me. Yeah, I don't really feel the supposed "burn out" introverts feel after a long-time interaction with people.
    I never used to feel like that, but recently I do. I defo used to get 'introverts burnout' quite a lot, it never used to take that long of being around people and talking to them before I got mentally tired in that way and had to disengage for a bit. But recently I dont get it at all, i can chat and chat for ages and not feel the need to disengage from people for a breather. I think maybe its because of identity/value system change I think iv'e had recently.

Anyone else got anything to say about 'introverts burnout' ?
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately i do get burnt out quite a lot and im supposed to be an Extravert. I think somewhere along the line i decided to use a lot of Fe in groups etc. If thats what im using that would explain it i suppose. Lately i have just decided not to be charming and just be slightly quieter. Seems to be much easier for me. Unfortunately at this point in time general chit chat seem's inane to me. I often go out with friends and they are talking and it just seems to bore me to death.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    Lately i do get burnt out quite a lot and im supposed to be an Extravert. I think somewhere along the line i decided to use a lot of Fe in groups etc. If thats what im using that would explain it i suppose. Lately i have just decided not to be charming and just be slightly quieter. Seems to be much easier for me. Unfortunately at this point in time general chit chat seem's inane to me. I often go out with friends and they are talking and it just seems to bore me to death.
    Not the right company
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think i'd suffer from the introvert burnout thing so much if I didn't constantly feel the need to be more outgoing whenever i'm around others. I overextend myself for others and it's not long before I snap and need to get away.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    Yeah, I was about to say, restless is probably the best way to describe how I'd feel after a while.
    Ditto. That, or else I get depressed, which says to me "Hey, maybe you should get your lazy ass off the couch and go visit someone!"
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    Ditto. That, or else I get depressed, which says to me "Hey, maybe you should get your lazy ass off the couch and go visit someone!"
    Then I play with my phone a bit and just start texting people until I find something to do.
    1 "hey what's up?"
    2 "hey what's up?"
    3 "hey what's up?"
    4 "hey what's up?"

#2 responds back, "nothing much what you up to?"
    "nothing, let's go bowling or shoot some pool."
    2 "OK..."
    then 1 and 3 respond back and I tell them "i'm going bowling with 2 if you ain't got shit to do."
    3 "cool, meet ya there."
    1 "ah, maybe next time, later."

*End of restless and lonely time*

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had the ability to ask people to do things. It stupid but I always feel like I'm bothering them. Texting is a little easier but still..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I wish I had the ability to ask people to do things. It stupid but I always feel like I'm bothering them. Texting is a little easier but still..
    In my experience the people who worry about being like that are exactly the people who I'd never view as being bothersome if they were to suggest we go do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro
    In my experience the people who worry about being like that are exactly the people who I'd never view as being bothersome if they were to suggest we go do something.
    Exactly! If you're not prone to being incessant with these kinds of things, people aren't going to be thinking "God, that girl is so annoying, she's always trying to hang out with me," now are they?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. I hardly ever ask, i've been trying to get over that fear 'they'll say no or think i'm annoying'. Really has no basis in reality. I'm always thrilled when someone asks me to do something. Guess it can't hurt to try.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, jess.. you should try and ask more. I always do. I guess I could be perceived as annoying, but I just don't care! Really, why sit around and waste time thinking about whether you should do something or not as opposed to just doing it? You'll save a lot of time worrying and pondering over what others think and actually being happy outside chilling with some random person of interest, no? They won't say no, NO THEY WON'T!

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel like this too. but i force myself to ask anyway!

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    When I'm at home, I prefer to be alone since I tend to associate my home environment with comfort and solitude. I especially hate it when I'm doing a solitary activity and I get interrupted.
    I have always been what they call a loner. I get really comfortable and almost "euphoric" in total solitude and I am not ashamed or bothered about this either. I do not feel lonely very often, I usually can't wait to go home to be by myself after a day of being around others. I do feel bothered and lonely when I am "forced" to interact with or be alongside a group of people (especially of the loud, gregarious sort) for more than a couple minutes...that is when I start getting the burnt-out feeling.

More directly on the topic of extraverts and lonliness, I would have to say that ESFjs more than all the other extraverts seem to have a really difficult time being on their own for even a little while. Nearly all the disputes that I have had with ESFjs originated from what I see as them sort of wanting to "prey off my energy" and "suffocate" me with their desire for my company to deal with their lonliness when I just want to be left alone.
    Socionics: XNFx
    MBTI: INFJ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. It really depends on the person being extrovert/introvert. It's harder with introverts because they know what you are after and may have personal sentiments about the situation and your asking. But I know if I call one of my extrovert friends it'll only be a minute or two before they'll invite me over/out. And I'm always calling people to hang out because I don't arrange many social gatherings unless it's trying to get people to play sports or music. Those are the things i like to do, and like to organize. Hanging out is different. I really like welcoming people.
    asd