Thread: Role Function & Emergencies

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Default Role Function & Emergencies

I've noticed multiple times that within myself, my tends to dissipate during crisis situations, and I actually get much more relaxed and calm. Besides from that, I sometimes become stereotypically , being kind of spacy and out of it during emergency events.

I was wondering if this is actually related to a role function kicking in, or if it is something else that I'm not thinking of. Do you guys have similar or different experiences?
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I once posted somewhere a while back that, when under stress or something like that, I seem to become locked within the present moment, which as far as I'm aware is . It's actually quite horrible.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Role Function & Emergencies

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    I've noticed multiple times that within myself, my tends to dissipate during crisis situations, and I actually get much more relaxed and calm. Besides from that, I sometimes become stereotypically , being kind of spacy and out of it during emergency events.

I was wondering if this is actually related to a role function kicking in, or if it is something else that I'm not thinking of. Do you guys have similar or different experiences?
    Perhaps you are resorting to role as a means of fitting yourself into an effective collective response to the situation.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh...I'm definitely WAY more in emergencies/crisis situations. If shit starts getting fucked up, and it's basically just chaos, I'm usually the first one to yell "EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LISTEN TO ME"
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a mixture of Se (in the way Gilligan mentioned) and Si. It's very easy for me to stay calm in emergency situations.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i think this is quite true. I also find i can mobilise in emergencies

I remember at a party once an old guy fell over, hit his head on a brick and and knocked himself out. Everyone was literally screaming and i called the ambulence etc and was telling everyone it will be ok. My dad was choking the other day and looked in real distress and i could almost feel the Se kicking in. Was ready to charge up and hit his back lol. True i have never seen anything totally off the charts scary though.

I worry that in the event of an emergency and someone gets hurt i would not have the knowledge to help out. I think its a fair concern as ive done first aid but i really cant remember any of it. Then theres Ne worries that could get in the way "should we move him?, Turn him on his side?" etc.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herzy, interesting thread! I've never actually thought about this but now that I do.. I can see where the poster who said "stuck in the present moment" role coming through for me as well during emergencies. I can't seem to really move myself, or utilize to help myself as I normally would.. it's as if the emergency is so.. vivid and present that I can't get out of it. I definitely do not stay calm during these times..

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be a take charge kind of person during emergencies.
    But then I had my daughter. Now during emergencies I feel divided and this puts me into a near freeze as part of me says I should be working towards solving the situation, but another part says I should be getting my daughter out of the situation and to let someone else help the other people. Nightmares usually involve me having to make such a choice.

There was one situation in which it was believed that my dog was in potential grave danger, there were gas line explosions occuring within a couple of blocks of my apartment complex, but not having a radio, and being on the opposite side of the explosion, i didn't know how close or what kind of damage would happen, etc. I wanted to take my brother and daughter to a park and have him watch her so I could go and get my dog before the explosions reached him (we weren't sure if they were done happening or not...but it was also dry and lots of apartments in close vicinity of each other that a fire like that could have the potential of taking out a complex or two before it got controlled. My brother .... I don't know what was going through his head..hehe...but he wouldn't agree to the park thing. He wanted us to stay together. So that left me stuck in a panic cuz I wanted to rescue my dog ...but that would require me taking my daughter into a potential dangerous zone...but my dog had been with me for years and years, he was my best friend!!! It was a horrible feeling, to be pulled to take action, but being incapable of it.

My daughter (SeFi) does a combo of freezing and panicking in even the "minorest" of potential emergency. A loud sudden noise and she freezes or panics. She would be completely untrustworthy in an emergency situation. Like if a snake were within striking distance, and you see it and tell her to freeze, she'd panic...scaring the snake into a strike. Or, like, I was reading Little House on the Prairie books to her and in one of the earlier ones Laura is out in the snow and she has a hold of what she thinks is part of the cow and she's pulling on it. Her mother sees that its a bear and tells Laura to freeze, drop her hand, and very very slowly walk to her. Laura..having sensed the controlled fear in her mother's voice, promptly obeys. Manta wouldn't, she'd ask questions in a whiney voice or whine loudly about it or hit the "cow" or something similar to those. If I were to tell her to hush, be quiet as we wait for a killer to pass by our hiding place, she'd shift or whisper loudly or whine about it. She's just not very good with sudden new things unless it's something that she's learned about or has practice in.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    This sounds... Dangerous. Ample reason to yell "get a grip on yourself, now isn't the time for you to fly off to LALA land!!! We need to do A, B, and C" at you. Though having a relaxed and calm assistant who gets things done quietly and swiftly is certainly preferable to someone who freaks out, bitches at me, or worse: lectures me for how I created the problem (don't cry over spilt milk, anyone?) when the focus should be on solving the problem first.

I tend to pace around a lot in crisis situations if I can't immediately do something about it; otherwise I direct people's actions, tell them what needs to be done, and try to act as calmly as possible even when my heart is beating frantically... but screaming at others doesn't get things done, so it's better set the example of keeping quiet. There's something about precarious scenarios that makes me more bold than ever. It's like I switch into another mode in which I operate outside of myself. goes hyperactive, and surface, flies out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Heh...I'm definitely WAY more in emergencies/crisis situations. If shit starts getting fucked up, and it's basically just chaos, I'm usually the first one to yell "EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LISTEN TO ME"
    Same here.
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same reaction as Herzy's here. Actually some people get annoyed by it. I always know what to do, though.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When there is a psychological emergency, I tend to be compassionate towards everyone and help people by means of consoling them (probably I suck in it, but at least I'm trying). I'm generally quite worried about my friends' mental well-being.

I guess that might be some .
    Intuition