View Poll Results: How much $$$ would you invest in developing a sure fire test of type?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100$ or less

6 24.00%
  • 1,000$ or less

0 0%
  • 10,000$ or less

2 8.00%
  • 100,000$ or less

0 0%
  • Over 100,000$

7 28.00%
  • Zero

10 40.00%

Thread: Investing in Socionics

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Investing in Socionics

How much do you believe in Socionics, how much would you be willing to invest in a sure-fire test for the types?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys, vote, even hypothetically, don't just observe the poll.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Palmistry?
    I can find you as many ESFJs as you want, that's priceless I think.

And guys, please be serious when you vote. Think of it as the true test of your belief in type theory. As they say, put your money where your mind is

Creepy-bg

I think it is so utterly shitty to try to make people pay for this sort of thing... but that's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the other thing is that dio will not realize that the over $100,000 votes are a joke and will run along on his get rich quick schemes looking for such generous donations.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it were possible for such a test to exist, it would be worth an unfathomable sum of money. when the day comes when pregnant women are can know their fetuses' socionics types, you can be first to slurp up the placenta. for now, david karesh / jesus christ suits you quite well.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    the other thing is that dio will not realize that the over $100,000 votes are a joke and will run along on his get rich quick schemes looking for such generous donations.
    Stay away from my threads you idiot.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    I think it is so utterly shitty to try to make people pay for this sort of thing... but that's just my opinion.
    Progress is not free, even a simple forum like this is funded by adds that depend on the posts we make.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Progress is not free, even a simple forum like this is funded by adds that depend on the posts we make.
    well I'm not giving you $100,000... (and if you try to make a $100,000 (or $100 even) test I'll make sure it get's put it up on bittorrent along with all the other silly things that people try to charge for ) If you'd like to try to sell you're typing services (as in time spent) I have no problem with that.

(yes, I'm aware that designing a test also takes time... but I don't really much care. This stuff should be free. period )

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, now i'm not allowed to roam the forums any more, by way of the dioklecian contract. i'll be sure to keep the sanctity of that document in mind the next time i defile the empty cavern in your skull.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't waste our time you moron.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted zero. Reason being, I believe that you learn a lot more if you discover your type for yourself (even if it does start off with a somewhat less accurate test, just to potentially guide you in the right direction). I'm probably not sounding completely logically consistent right now, which obviously means every Ti-ego type in the entire world is now going to rush to tear my post apart to the tiniest sub-atomic shreds and then condemn me to hell for being slightly out.

All silliness aside, I genuinely think that finding your type, as opposed to simply being told your type, is the best way if you actually intend to use Socionics for a serious use. Granted, I only (eventually) discovered my type because I once tested INTJ on an MBTI test, but I think a test which isn't 100% accurate can still be part of the learning process... I dunno, I feel like I'm probably appearing to contradict myself on the surface. Does anyone see what I'm actually trying to say here? I know what I want to say, but I'm not sure I'm wording it correctly.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    I voted zero. Reason being, I believe that you learn a lot more if you discover your type for yourself (even if it does start off with a somewhat less accurate test, just to potentially guide you in the right direction). I'm probably not sounding completely logically consistent right now, which obviously means every Ti-ego type in the entire world is now going to rush to tear my post apart to the tiniest sub-atomic shreds and then condemn me to hell for being slightly out.

All silliness aside, I genuinely think that finding your type, as opposed to simply being told your type, is the best way if you actually intend to use Socionics for a serious use. Granted, I only (eventually) discovered my type because I once tested INTJ on an MBTI test, but I think a test which isn't 100% accurate can still be part of the learning process... I dunno, I feel like I'm probably appearing to contradict myself on the surface. Does anyone see what I'm actually trying to say here? I know what I want to say, but I'm not sure I'm wording it correctly.
    You make a lot of sense to me. I agree for sure that the process of self discovery is more than just your true type.

The problem is that one is never truly sure what his/her type is through subjective tests. In particular if one has suffered severe trauma or other forms of psychological abuse it would be very very difficult to find their type by themselves.

Think of it as a math problem: solving math problems by yourself is a good learning tool, but to be sure that you have truly learned the lesson, it's important to know what the right answer is, so that you cross-reference your solution and be sure you got it right.

Not to mention all the charlatanes that today sell their "services" to companies and pretend to find your type. Often those stupid tests decide your employment destiny. Wouldn't it be nice if such things were at least correct?

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson

I totally get you... it's a journey of self discover. Watching somebody elses slide show of their trip isn't going to do you much good at all. (or something like that... maybe it's more like watching their slide show with your head pasted onto their body.... ehhh metaphor melt-down I do get it though )

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope i don't have to pay a part of it myself. because i voted for the max amount possible.

i see many useful things in socionics, so a good test is worth the money.

but more important is that more people should know and use socionics. and by more people, i'm meaning, politics, business, and relationships.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in a "sure-fire" test.
    How can you be so sure of finding a method that works 100% anyway. There's so many ways where things might not work out like you'd want it to.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of it as a math problem: solving math problems by yourself is a good learning tool, but to be sure that you have truly learned the lesson, it's important to know what the right answer is, so that you cross-reference your solution and be sure you got it right.
    Hmm.. that makes a lot of sense actually. With that in mind, I'd probably contribute a small amount, somewhere in the <$100 category. It's not much, I know, but I still prefer the self-discovery method of typing, although now that I see your side of things I don't reject the idea entirely. I know it's only hypothetical, but I'd consider it a fairly low priority, from my own point of view. I think another factor in my decision is the fact that, this hypothesis aside, there's a lot of tests and other methods for typing out there already which, although they're not necessarily 100% reliable, I feel for the majority of people it can at least give a good idea of one's type, which can be further investigated if they feel that strongly about it. I know there are some people whose type remains a mystery, but.. I'm going to stop now, I'll go round in circles otherwise.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You haven't even told us what the test is. Why should spend money on something we have no idea about? You are going to have to tell us or atleast some of us first how it works, before we can even contemplate spending money on it.

Also this is no religion, how much we 'believe' socionics works has no play in this at all.

Creepy-bg

oh wait... I just reread the poll and it's how much would I invest... not how much would I pay... that's a little different. Anyways, seeing how I don't have any money I'm gunna have to stick with $0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The younger you learn your type the more useful it is.
    And getting your own type right is generally far harder than typing others.

Weird as it may sound, I do think people need to be told what their types are.
    People identify more or less automatically with any label or group membership they are given.
    Nothing like being drafted to army to remind you of this...
    Self-discovery sounds fine in theory, but generally far too unreliable in practise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As interesting of a theory Socionics is I don't think it is immensely useful. In fact it may be Worse for relationships than better. I could easily see people deciding that they don't want anything to do with a person based on type and intertype relationships. So while I think Socionics is fun to bug around with I'm of the strict opinion that applying it to my life would be perhaps, very negative.

I have the same theory about psychologists constantly trying to diagnose their friends and family members. Perhaps I'm paranoid.

However I might hand over 5 or 10 pesos if I get a lolly in return. Does Anyone have $100 to spend on pop psych? I could buy a really cute puppy with $100.

Is it Really helpful or healthy to categorize people like this? MBTI has gone as far as personality typing needs to go I think. The high school classroom.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now now boys. Let us be kind to eachother. I've a good mind to report the two of you.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion people who are not interested in this thing should probably spend less time on socionics.

The other people, if sincere, should probably really invest and reap the benefits.

I have truly found a shortcut to developing a 100% certain personality test.

By the way, to those that want the freebis (the test without paying), obviously that is not possible because the special knowledge could fall into the worng hands and cause suffering instead of good.

Those who would truly be interested in ivesting in one way or another, please contact me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, to those that want the freebis (the test without paying), obviously that is not possible because the special knowledge could fall into the worng hands and cause suffering instead of good.
    In what way could said "special knowledge" fall into any "wrong hands"? What do you mean by "wrong hands"?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    In what way could said "special knowledge" fall into any "wrong hands"? What do you mean by "wrong hands"?
    Terrorists/nazis/bolsheviks, etc.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    The younger you learn your type the more useful it is.
    That could be said of any learned skill.

And getting your own type right is generally far harder than typing others.
    Not "generally". For some people.

Weird as it may sound, I do think people need to be told what their types are.
    Some people.

People identify more or less automatically with any label or group membership they are given.
    Some people.

Nothing like being drafted to army to remind you of this...
    Self-discovery sounds fine in theory, but generally far too unreliable in practise.
    This was probably the most useful post ever regarding your own type.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    So you are sure I am ESFJ now?

I was actually going to delete the post above, but then forgot about it...
    Sometimes I feel I should write a long chapter just to explain every sentence I write, but then that would be rather silly as well...
    I just want to point out that I do not believe anyone is currently capable of typing people accurately.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to point out that I do not believe anyone is currently capable of typing people accurately.
    That you feel a need to think that in order to justify your own lack of typing competence is easy to understand but much harder to appreciate, since it is only a rationalization. There is no objective ground for the claim that everyone is your equal in this respect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    That you feel a need to think that in order to justify your own lack of typing competence is easy to understand but much harder to appreciate, since it is only a rationalization. There is no objective ground for the claim that everyone is your equal in this respect.
    Confidence in your typing skills does not guarantee the accuracy of the typings.
    That is all I wanted to say.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    So you are sure I am ESFJ now?
    Not necessarily. I am now fairly sure that you have Ti in your super-id, as had already been clear imo. So ESFj, ISFp, ENFj, INFp. Not that I think they are all equally likely.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    Confidence in your typing skills does not guarantee the accuracy of the typings.
    That is all I wanted to say.
    But that is not what you actually said. Your first statement (in bold) is stupid, since there are obviously people around who can type accurately more often than not. Your second statement is trivial and something everyone can agree with.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CuriousSoul, what do you mean with "anyone" and "currently" and "accurately"?

- that nobody, anywhere, is able to type people accurately all the time? Well, yes, sure. No one will get typings right all the time.

- the same, but limited to people in this forum? Again, sure.

- that nobody, anywhere, is able to type people accurately most of the time? Then it gets tricky, because if that were true, then not even Augusta would have typed her first subjects right and then all her theories and observations of relationships are all based on mostly incorrect typings.

- the same, but limited to people in this forum? You don't really think anyone here knows what they're doing? Well, it's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this up to get some more responses.