Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta recommended reading books/authors

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCuckooLander View Post
    Neither is Nostromo.
    You weren't here for when one chapter of T16TA stirred the entire Delta hive up, were you?

Dance Magic Dance CloudCuckooLander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    You weren't here for when one chapter of T16TA stirred the entire Delta hive up, were you?
    No I wasn't. But I do love me Joseph Conrad's critique of Deltaness.

EDIT: Oh, and Deltas would probably find Candide's philosophical underpinnings unsavory at best, considering that Voltaire (a rather grumpy EIE, and a perfect example of EIE-LSI duality in his workings with Émilie du Châtelet) is criticizing many commonly-held societal values that Deltas often hold dear.
    2-subtype system: IEI-Fe
    8-subtype system: D-IEI-Fe
    16-subtype system: IEI-ESE

IEI-Fe 2w3 > p6w5 > 8w7 sx/so

"He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living." - Edmond Dantes (The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas père)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    How wonderful that you gave me links to the plot summaries Ssmall!!!

I am so picky about what i feel like reading!

I think i may start with "The Alchemist"!
    Thats a perfect choice, its one of my favorite books, I read this book 4 times and not because I like to read old books, I never do that. Its just that every time you read it it is a different book, very dependent on your mood and where you are in life. So enjoy, and yeh I though plot summaries might help .
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books for the World Ahead | Foreign Affairs

I'm too lazy to show each link in and of itself.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Mearsheimer analyzes David Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest.

Author David Halberstam
    Publisher Ballantine Books
    Year 1993
    Pages 720 pp.
    ISBN 0449908704
    Price $18.00

No comments have been posted. Would you like to leave a comment?

The United States will be the most powerful state on the planet for the next few decades. Since many Americans believe that their country is "the indispensable nation" -- to use former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright's well-known phrase -- they will continue to support an activist foreign policy that seeks to shape the world in accordance with U.S. interests and values. Because American leaders sometimes make tragic mistakes -- as they did in Vietnam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan -- understanding how the United States makes key foreign policy decisions is essential.
    No book explains this process better than Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest. First published in 1972 and dealing primarily with Vietnam, Halberstam's brilliant description of the American foreign policy establishment remains highly relevant today. As Halberstam makes clear, that community is populated by well-educated and ambitious individuals who frequently lack wisdom and almost always lack humility. They tend to think that all problems have ready solutions, which their brilliance will enable them to identify and implement. These people rarely acknowledge limits to U.S. power, which means they sometimes pursue boneheaded policies that lead to disaster.
    Unfortunately, the U.S. political system is not especially effective at checking foolish ideas before they influence policy, even though the Founding Fathers designed it for that purpose. As Halberstam shows so well, presidents have many ways to manipulate the policy process so that they get what they want. This capacity sometimes produces good outcomes, but when the United States miscalculates, look out. The central message of this seminal book: beware the indispensable nation.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend Robertson Davies as an author. Tempest-Tost (1951) was his first book and a delightful introduction to his work.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WA can you change this thread title to "delta book club"? I was going to start such a thread a few days ago.

Everybody who ever deals with a delta NF ought to read this book:
    Anxious to Please: 7 Revolutionary Practices for the Chronically Nice
    Anxious to Please

The write up here and the website looks really overly professional and 'serious', but the book is good, straightforward, and gives important insight to people who AREN'T anxious to please (which is good for a lot of delta STs, like myself).

To me, it helps sort o fput some context to behaviors I see some people doing that are basically flat out lying to your face because they are 'anxious to please' YOU.

A book by James Rapson and Craig English
    Available nationwide at your local bookstore or online!

IMAGINE A CONDITION THAT AFFECTS a huge portion of the population, a condition that causes severe anxiety and depression, cripples self-esteem, and undermines and destroys relationships. The condition described here is not drug addiction, schizophrenia, or a career in politics. It is chronic niceness.
    Anxious to Please: 7 Revolutionary Practices for the Chronically Nice is the first book to reveal the primary psychological cause of chronic niceness—anxious attachment. Attachment theory is a burgeoning branch of psychology that is revolutionizing our understanding of human emotions and relationships.
    Anxious attachment drives the Nice Person to accommodate, acquiesce, and avoid conflict, leading to a host of emotional and relational problems. Inwardly, the Nice Person is burdened with a constant sense of longing for someone or something that they cannot define. They are preoccupied with what other people think, and they worry and fret so often that it seems normal to them. Outwardly, Nice People habitually take what they are given rather than asking for what they want, often sacrificing important elements of career, relationship, and their own integrity.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Deltas, what magazines do you read?

Topic.
    Easy Day

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Park; 06-12-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spoilering nsfw content
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only got a subscription to Macleans, but I will buy any of:

Discover
    New Scientist
    Scientific American
    National Geographic
    Bike
    Explore
    Men's Fitness
    Time
    The Economist
    Money Sense
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't read magazines. Well, maybe Reader's Digest if I see it, but I don't specifically seek it out.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i try not to subscribe to magazines anymore because they just tend to pile up and make clutter, but National Geographic is one I do enjoy a lot. I did have a subscription to that for a while.

Otherwise I will flip through a medical journal from time to time, because i guess i have to. I prefer searching for articles online on pubmed though, as the need arises. Likewise for any other non-work related info i need, i prefer to just be able to google whatever topic i'm wondering about in a given moment and look up info that way. One reason why i my droid.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I subscribe to Reader's Digest. I also like reading newspapers and junk mail while I eat.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Newsweek, used to read the Economist, not any more; I read psychology magazines, cooking like Food & Wine, I read country gardens, etc, home struff
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post

lol "read"
    I imagine you surveying a copy of playboy with a highlighter between your teeth, jotting down notes about each page as you go.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad subscribes to New Scientist, so I take a look in there every now and then.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only magazine I always buy is Private Eye.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Eye

I used to read The Economist, New Scientist, NME and Uncut.

I'll perhaps pick up a copy of one of the first two on the list for a long train journey.

Apart from Private Eye I generally don't have time to read magazines.

EDIT: MY grifriend buys Cozmo and similar titles, I will read these.
    IEE-Ne

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Science Pictorial:

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most womens magazines depress me and make me feel ugly so I avoid those. The only thing i find worthy is Time and National Geographic...but it's not like i have a subscription or anything. More like if im waiting for a doctors appointment and they're just sitting there. Reading magazines is old school lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from the conditioned aesthetic of a magazine, they are handy when you don't have technology on hand, or the technology is limited. Also nice to have something to read while you're on the can, and I'd prefer not to get shit particles on my electronics, as a recent study discovered was happening.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Most womens magazines depress me and make me feel ugly so I avoid those. The only thing i find worthy is Time and National Geographic...but it's not like i have a subscription or anything. More like if im waiting for a doctors appointment and they're just sitting there. Reading magazines is old school lol.
    Most women's magazines are just pages and pages of advertisements for overpriced cosmetics and ugly "trendy" clothing that i would never considering wear. With a sex column here, a stupid section on embarrassing moments there, an interview with a celebrity who is pushing certain products because he/she got paid to, etc.

You're not missing out.

Chronic Procrasturbator Nomenclature's Avatar
    TIM
    ESFp 3w4 SX/SO??
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Most women's magazines are just pages and pages of advertisements for overpriced cosmetics and ugly "trendy" clothing that i would never considering wear. With a sex column here, a stupid section on embarrassing moments there, an interview with a celebrity who is pushing certain products because he/she got paid to, etc.

You're not missing out.
    THANK YOU! The "content" could be shit for all they care, but it's more about what headlines would attract the ads' target demographic. And with the "you are beautiful" trend in the media, there's this hypocritical "feel good about yourself... but not too good, so we can still make money advertising stuff and writing weight loss articles" thing with women's magazines.

http://blog.twowholecakes.com/2011/0...ur-is-shocked/
    Shocking Body-Image News: 97% of Women Will Be Cruel to Their Bodies Today
    Scary but true: In an exclusive Glamour survey, young women recorded an average of 13 brutal thoughts about their bodies each day. We say: Enough!
    Uhm, what part of this is shocking? Lol.

Also, Cosmo's sex advice is all rehashed and over-recycled crap. There was an article called "the orgasm whisperer" and it was about using lube to enhance your experience. -_- Like I don't need a magazine to tell me basically to explore, try different moves, and and be attentive, lol. Move your leg to a different angle and OMG IT'S A WHOLE NEW POSITION. Also, seeing their advice about making things more kinky... I'm not sure if they even know what being kinky IS.

Sorry for the rant. I shouldn't even be here

I do buy women's magazines when they're coupon-loaded though.
    Genghis Khunt, drippin' like twater.
    tumblr (nsfw)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that anyone cares, but...

I do think that magazines, newspapers, and other written forms of serial information are being pushed aside for internet accessed materials. So, I agree with Saberstorm regarding considering Google as being a magazine, and that the 21st century version of the magazine question would be along the lines of 'what websites do you surf?'

I also agree that magazines and printed newspapers are a major waste of paper product. Particularly considering all the freaking ads!! (but then, the internet has as much if not more ad spaces...and more annoyingly done!)

But I also agree that it's nice to be able to obtain information without being stuck on an internet machine. Rob used the term "computers", but I consider "web-enabled smartphones, ipads, etc" as being similar enough to count in Rob's "computers". All of them require some kind of tethering link to the web, either tying up money...or tying you to accessable location slots.

There is a significant difference between viewing things from backlit monitors vs ink on paper. Also paper shuffling and information location is considered an important method for retaining information. It's easier to remember that a bit of info one is looking for is on the lower right hand space of a page, towards the mid-back of a book(let), than to try to remember it as seen from a linear or clickable format.

I am sure that those who are more verbally inclined will have an easier time dealing with web-based info than those who are more kinesthetically/spacially inclined. (personally I prefer the latter)

And then there is the issue of resource management for creating paper-based products and after-usage dumpage that internet-based machines don't really have to deal with. Well, they do, but it's in the form of bytes, easily solved by installing more memory.

But both forms need a filing/organizing method to access saved information.

--------

I actually hadn't interpreted Rob's comment about some people wanting to venture away from their computers (incl internet-accessing devices) as being snarky nor hostile. But, since he himself referred to it as snarky/hostile, then I guess it was.

As for whether what WA wrote was Fe, or Fe-ego...*shrug*...I think it could be easily interpreted a number of ways. From Ne with Fi, Fe demonstrative, Fe ego, Te HA, Te role, etc etc.

I also think Fi creatives, and even...*gasp*...Fi base types will "help to defend those under open scrutiny". I don't believe this is limited to Fe egos...nor even F egos.

-----
    Regarding the OP,
    I only read magazines when I happen upon one that is sitting around with an interesting title on it's cover.

I do tend to prefer forums as my form of 'magazine'.
    Often people (like lungs and labster) will link to articles I wouldn't have otherwise known existed. And through a forum I can get both some social and info seeking desires met.

Topic-wise, in no particular order:
    socionics,
    permaculture topics,
    gardening,
    child/teen-raising,
    novel writing,
    harp and improv music,
    decluttering and simplifying,
    hypnosis & NLP,
    and things like Time, Discover, and National Geographic.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reader's Digest
    Consumer Reports
    (Some science magazine I forget the name of.)
    (We used to get a Conservative magazine that I enjoyed reading. National Review?)
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't read any magazines in particular regularly, but I enjoy American Psychologist, iD, Discover, and Conservation Magazine.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

R.I.P. Raver
    TIM
    ENFP 7W8
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychology Today =)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default delta books/authors

jodi picoult

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't think so.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Never heard of nor read those people.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

you guys aren't very fucking helpful

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    you guys aren't very fucking helpful
    Oh, I'm not much of an ardent book reader at all. That must be it

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

marcus aurelius

also, the entire DIY section in bookstores
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    marcus aurelius
    That person I have heard about.

“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”
    ― Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper
    Good quote, though, indeed.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C.S. Lewis

J.R.R. Tolkein

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    C.S. Lewis

J.R.R. Tolkein
    Disagree, CS Lewis was Ni to the bone, ILI probably. Blatant resemblance to Kevin Spacey, a pretty indisputable IEI.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Disagree, CS Lewis was Ni to the bone, ILI probably. Blatant resemblance to Kevin Spacey, a pretty indisputable IEI.
    I was basing it more on the sorts of stories they tell rather than the author's type. I think the Chronicles of Narnia is very Delta.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Oh, I'm not much of an ardent book reader at all. That must be it
    ditto.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Dostoevsky for Fi

There's a half a ton of Fi in his books.
    -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast