Thread: growing into your type

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default growing into your type

I know that development is a lifelong process and that as humans we're constantly changing and evolving, but at what point in one's life would you say his or her type "solidifies," or reaches maturation (kind of like a type puberty)?
    To elaborate, say a person is ISTj, for example. We all know the teenage years can be somewhat tumultuous and that teens are less responsible, decisive, and authoritative than adults. In lieu of this, would momentary lapses in responsibility and judgment be typical of someone that age, even an ISTj? I use this example because I have a few male ISTj friends who tend to procrastinate, drive recklessly, and disregard schoolwork to the point of flunking out.
    Also, many types, specifically some of my ENFj friends, were once very quiet as youths and adolescents, but became very outgoing during their late teen years.
    So, in a nutshell, when would you say a person's psychological type manifests itself most definitively?
    INFp, Intuitive subtype, Enneagram 6w5
    Back in school and on semi-permanent hiatus from the forum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that over time your type might get masked by learned behaviour, but you'll still be the same type underneath.
    You may spend differing amounts of time in your 'natural' state, but it will still be your natural type nonetheless.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe you have to have enough experience with people in many situations to really understand your type and yourself, and others, and consequently figure out what orientation is development.

For secluded people or introverts, this is more difficult because there is less experience, less things to test against, so actually being able to compare things takes time.

I wrote a thread called "Settling in to your type" several months ago, and it was related to this. I am certain I am LII at this point, and a lot of my questioning was seeing how far I could push the constraints of the type. Really, any type can do or be anything, it is more related to how you are using the functions within the structure of the type you have.

So, in a nutshell, when would you say a person's psychological type manifests itself most definitively?
    You are always growing and learning, always taking in more information and refining how you use the tools of your psyche.

It can flash when they are their weakest, and it can be built upon when they sincerely look for who they are and who they want to become. Type is more a structure than something that dictates how someone actually acts. It is more of a basis for understanding how decisions are made, rather than the actual making of decisions and the actual actions taken.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    I believe you have to have enough experience with people in many situations to really understand your type and yourself, and others, and consequently figure out what orientation is development.

For secluded people or introverts, this is more difficult because there is less experience, less things to test against, so actually being able to compare things takes time.

I wrote a thread called "Settling in to your type" several months ago, and it was related to this. I am certain I am LII at this point, and a lot of my questioning was seeing how far I could push the constraints of the type. Really, any type can do or be anything, it is more related to how you are using the functions within the structure of the type you have.

You are always growing and learning, always taking in more information and refining how you use the tools of your psyche.

It can flash when they are their weakest, and it can be built upon when they sincerely look for who they are and who they want to become. Type is more a structure than something that dictates how someone actually acts. It is more of a basis for understanding how decisions are made, rather than the actual making of decisions and the actual actions taken.
    +2 in all aspects

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a tough question.

i don't think i settled into a type until college age. i was always kind of wavering on the F and the T.

my daughter, who is only 9, has clearly been an esfj for at least 3 years.

it would be interesting to make any correlations...are rationals more likely to show themselves early?

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type is more a structure than something that dictates how someone actually acts. It is more of a basis for understanding how decisions are made, rather than the actual making of decisions and the actual actions taken.
    First, I agree with this 100%

I've always acted like an ENFp, I'm quite sure. Maybe more like the other subtype when I was younger, which is why I wonder about this whole subtype thing. I certainly haven't been always exactly the same, and I'm very different among some people than others.

A lot of things go into making us who we are - our families of origin, where we grew up, lifestyle, interests, religion, etc. I think of type as an explanation for how we process information. How we process that information doesn't change, but what information we have access to might change, how we choose to use that information might change, and our particular situation might change (living with parents vs living on own vs living with roommate vs living with spouse for one example). Those kinds of things can make profound changes in how we behave.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is another thing that has contributed to my confusion; looking at many aspects of my past and my childhood, they seem very in tune with LII. particularly with relations with Fe and Si types. i don't have any idea how to evaluate whether or not this has anything to do with age.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Type is more a structure than something that dictates how someone actually acts. It is more of a basis for understanding how decisions are made, rather than the actual making of decisions and the actual actions taken.
    First, I agree with this 100%

I've always acted like an ENFp, I'm quite sure. Maybe more like the other subtype when I was younger, which is why I wonder about this whole subtype thing. I certainly haven't been always exactly the same, and I'm very different among some people than others.
    The development of emotional maturity perhaps? I am confident that I have always been a LII, but I do not necessarily think that my childhood behavior may have directly mirrored the stereotypical portrayal of how the "adult LII" behaves.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest hit in life is when you finally have a clear and realistic picture of self. I mean, when you know exactly how others see you, what shortcomings you have and the like. That is really the moment when one reaches maturity.

I think this is the only thing behind the "elder wisdom". Teenagers think they have to be pretty/handsome, intelligent, funny, rich... everything, or they are faulty. Mature people knows that you don't need to be perfect to be ok. From this peace about oneself comes the true self development.

If you observe history, there is almost always something about political leaders that is off. For example, Napoleon couldn't accept himself as a shorty person. Hitler couldn't accept that he did not have artistic talent. It's really the feeling of lack of control over the self what drives those characters to demonstrate others, and ultimately themselves, that they are what they are not.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.