View Poll Results: Does the idea have potential?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 62.50%
  • Hell no

6 37.50%

Thread: Webcam chatroom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Webcam chatroom

Using Camfrog, for example. Is anyone else interested in joining a channel for socionics enthusiasts? Could it have more potential than the Video Identification project? If so, what other good services are there?

Please move to "Anything Goes"
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time we had a chat room, things went horribly, horribly wrong. Internet addicts + latent anger/depression/ennui/resentment carried over from the real world + Socionics is a deadly combination. Honestly, I'm pretty glad it's dead. You can start one, but I can promise never ever ever to show up.

Plus a chat room does nothing for my paranoia - the feeling that there's a live-streaming, 24/7 council of chatters somewhere talking away about stuff and saying things I may never see...
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate, Baby.

My paranoia of being watched goes so deep that I must close any messenger programs whenever I am doing something remotely private. Yes, even before I had a web cam. Now that I have a web cam, I constantly make sure it is unplugged.

My heart races whenever I've entered a chat room (maybe four times in my life). I cannot help but imagine people "knowing" what I'm doing behind the screen, even if I'm basically doing nothing. Embarrassingly irrational, I know, but I must be on the safe side.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    I relate, Baby.

My paranoia of being watched goes so deep that I must close any messenger programs whenever I am doing something remotely private. Yes, even before I had a web cam. Now that I have a web cam, I constantly make sure it is unplugged.
    i do this, too. even when there is no real "risk" of being watched, i always unplug my webcam when i'm not using it.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    I relate, Baby.

i do this, too. even when there is no real "risk" of being watched, i always unplug my webcam when i'm not using it.
    it doesn't help that my web cam looks like ET. The lens also sometimes reflects the light in my room, which causes me to fear it is turned on.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I place myself in the line, I do that too and there is tons of risks!! The horses are everywhere!

EVERYWHERE I tell you!

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do that, too. I'm afraid I'll have a brain-spasm and forget to turn my cam off and have someone watching my the whole time. I go so far as to put the cam in my desk drawer because it's creepy to have it staring at me. (Mine doesn't look so much like ET as R2D2.) I also freaked when I found out that Yahoo lets people see when you've got your cam on. I need to get rid of that thing.

But yeah, I've felt more comfortable on this forum since the chat's died.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

paranoid of their own webcams...wtf people??? lol

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y-ikes.

Being a lazy person, I just throw the webcam into the box or turn it towards the wall. I mean... GOD IS WATCHING US ALL ANYWAY

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GOD IS WATCHING US ALL ANYWAY
    uh-oh :(

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is better to accept it then let the fear control you.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can share with you this program I have that is great for reminding you about your webcam, if anyone want it just pm...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raisonpure
    GOD IS WATCHING US ALL ANYWAY
    That is a concept that has always struck me as creepy and funny, seeing as how God is always portrayed as a bearded old geezer. The thought of him peeping his eyes at some girl in the shower has huge comic potential.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll do it
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Creepy-bg

"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you. Instead of "My boss is plotting against me," it would be "My boss's phone is plotting against me." - Phillip K. Dick

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear my cell phone is against me.

Actually, I'm only really paranoid around the internet. I'm reckless (some would say downright stupid) everywhere else. I walk around seedy alleys at night after seeing a horror movie sometimes just to get the adrenaline going.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    I walk around seedy alleys at night after seeing a horror movie sometimes just to get the adrenaline going.
    I'd get raped...
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My webcam is built into my laptop.

Anyways, I'd love to use it for something.

Creepy-bg

*edited after being reminded that it's probably not a good idea to admit to being involved with a meth cooking show online *

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I created a chat room on CuSeeMe. Tedious registration process.

Hobbies -> socionics
    Password: behavewell

If I can't keep things under control even with the death stare... Well...

There's also Vskype, but I can't get that to run

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I don't have a webcam. It does sound like fun; more face-to-face interaction, even if it is over a distance. Hmm. I do share some of Baby's sentiments with the reminder of the old chat though.

You can get relatively cheap ones at places like WalMart and such

The old chat was fine, it was his own fault for becoming addicted to it.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I don't have a webcam. It does sound like fun; more face-to-face interaction, even if it is over a distance. Hmm. I do share some of Baby's sentiments with the reminder of the old chat though.
    i don't have a webcam either. nor do i plan to get one.

and the chat was just...ah...tense.

sorry! :wink:

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diana's absolutely right. That wasn't what my post was about at all. I take full responsibility for my own abuse of the chatroom. What I don't take responsibility for is the bad blood, hostility, insecurity, psychological problems, etc. that the chatroom became a vehicle for. Something about the nature of IRC brought out the worst in people. It just wasn't a pleasant environment and all of those pathologies ended up transfering to the forum. I'd rather avoid exposing myself to that sort of atmosphere again. I can't prevent anyone from forming another chatroom, though. All I can do is abstain from participating.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ook
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate, Baby.

My heart races whenever I've entered a chat room (maybe four times in my life). I cannot help but imagine people "knowing" what I'm doing behind the screen, even if I'm basically doing nothing. Embarrassingly irrational, I know, but I must be on the safe side.
    Haha thats hillarous. Actually it would be possible for a trojan horse to activate your webcam so thats not entirely irrational. Getting scared when you dont have a webcam. Now thats nuts lol
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Something about the nature of IRC brought out the worst in people.
    Some people.

Anyway, I was never that much into chat and did not participate that much anyway; I used it mainly to talk to people with private channels. So I won't bother with a new one either.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!