Thread: Hey, people who read books

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Hey, people who read books...

Any recommendations? Not just for me , I'm sure other people will benefit too - I like to read books, but they way I pick them in a book shop is based on whether they have an interesting cover, or based on the description on the back + the final test of whether the words are readworthy - not the same with discovering new music - it's harder to know what a book is like...

Anyways:
    A ESFj friend of mine recommended The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (which I liked, even if I couldn't relate to it very much - it's from a different time to me ) and Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, which I've ordered but haven't read yet - she looks like an appealing author from what I found out from teh internet (is it good? .

Two of the latest books I've read (latest meaning something like five years ) which I like are The Constant Gardener and Enigma by Robert Harris - I kinda like books where the main characters are fighting against some giant hidden thing like corporate corruption in Africa, or an outstanding reclusive mathematician trying to single-handedly beat the Nazis by cracking their code - of course, he has to be slightly unhinged for dramatic effect.

I like Harry Potter books too (but who doesn't) and Dan Brown (yes, I know, shoot me) - I like eventful things with clever twist and turns happening in an unusual, maybe dreamlike world (by eventful, I don't mean the Rocky or Die Hard films in book form - I'm sophisticated, ya know?). I don't like books about urban housewives, who go about their daily business and have lots of problems arranging unexpected tea parties etc. - but I did like the angst (if that's the right word) in The Bell Jar to a certain degree too - so books similar to that where not a lot necessarily happens are O.K. too.

(...Are there any books left? Thanks if anyone bothers to help me in my plight for summertime reading - I appreciate it )

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would highly recommend theodor geisel's the cat in the hat, as well as any applicable sequels. it is a highly intriguing read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. If you can stand his philosophizing dialogue its a brilliant read.
    THE BEARD HEARD HIS MOVEMENT AND MADE AN ATTACK RUN BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY ATTACK HIM

viva palestina

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    i would highly recommend theodor geisel's the cat in the hat, as well as any applicable sequels. it is a highly intriguing read.
    You might be surprised to find I read that ages ago - It wasn't as good as the later sequel Green Eggs And Ham, and besides, I didn't find it as good as The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. It's sort of pseudo-horror. It's mostly about the protagonists day-to-day life after the majority of the population has been turned into vampires. It's what inspired Night of the Living Dead.

It's not like most vampire stories, and it tries to take more of a scientific approach to the "vampirism" than most vampire stories, as well.
    5w6 / ISTP

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Brethren by John Grisham is my favorite book I've read, I don't know why, but I really liked everything about it.
    The Tipping Point by Malcom gladwell, I found it quite an interesting read.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tipping-Point-.../dp/0316346624
    Because I liked that book as much as I did I also read *Blink* by this same author ^ and liked it. Actually, I got so into this book the day I picked it up I read it straight through in one sitting... no other book has ever done that for me, and no it's not a picture book like some people may be thinking...lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in seriousness:

if you haven't, take a look at

anything by robert heinlein
    the uplift series by david brin
    anything by isaac asimov
    his dark materials by philip pullman

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

robert heinlein sounds really interesting
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jules verne

A trip too the moon and back

very nice book!

It speaks for itself =)

edit; just read classics they are classics for a reason you know, and even if it has some hundred years on it's back it is surprisingly fresh to read it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey that sounded worthwile, istp dude

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enjio
    If you haven't already, this is the book to read:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    oh, yes, that whole series as well is terrific.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good terrific?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

terrific, adj., extremely good; wonderful

Creepy-bg

anything by

Phillip K Dick
    Rudy Rucker
    William Gibson
    Bruce Sterling
    Tom Maddox

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure our tastes match, but here are some goodies, assuming you're looking for fiction.

Ode to Kirihito by Osamu Tezuka (graphic novel)
    The Zoo Story by Edward Albee (play)
    The American Dream by Edward Albee (play)
    The Rat by Gunter Grass
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse
    Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
    The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
    Alice in Bed by Susan Sontag (play)
    Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West
    Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
    Seven Plays by Sam Shepherd
    My Life as a Man by Philip Roth
    The Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Mulisch
    Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (play)
    Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by Daniel Clowes (graphic novel)
    Caricature by Daniel Clowes (graphic novel)
    Remembrance of Things Past (many-volumed) by Marcel Proust
    Maus by Art Spiegelman (graphic novel)
    What we talk about when we talk about love (short story collection) by Raymond Carver

never sure how to start of end these lists, so i think of it as a game of freeze tag where i'm finally frozen with no hope of being rescued by "it"
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaader
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
    Seven People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    not sure our tastes match, but here are some goodies, assuming you're looking for fiction.

The Rat by Gunter Grass
    What we talk about when we talk about love (short story collection) by Raymond Carver

never sure how to start of end these lists, so i think of it as a game of freeze tag where i'm finally frozen with no hope of being rescued by "it"
    tag! (yer it! )

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sfida
    "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. It's sort of pseudo-horror. It's mostly about the protagonists day-to-day life after the majority of the population has been turned into vampires. It's what inspired Night of the Living Dead.

It's not like most vampire stories, and it tries to take more of a scientific approach to the "vampirism" than most vampire stories, as well.
    That was the very first book in English I read cover to cover.

Did you know that there is a film version, The Last Man on Earth, with Vincent Price? It's very poorly done in terms of budget but it does follow the book quite accurately.

The whole movie is freely available on YouTube, 2 oparts:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=KGOAgBT--FA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=y44iHydcPBU[/youtube]
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat

The Rat by Gunter Grass

tag! (yer it! )
    <3
    was bordering on an emergency, ty.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody .

The ones I found most interesting and are therefore on my list, are Ender's Game suggested by enjio, eunice's suggestions, and niffweed reminded me that I was going to read Stranger in a strange land by Robert Heinlein at some point.

What's with all the scifi books being suggested by niffweed and bionicgoat? - What's a 'cyberpunk?' . Some of those authors looked liked they covered some interesting things, but scifi books scare me - I think I might have a glance at some of them.

reyn_til_runa shows an incredible range of books, but they are not really my cup of tea They seem too real and grim - like watching a Wagnerian opera or something. Steppenwolf looks quite interesting though - though I nearly passed by researching it, due my thoughts on the band of the same name . I don't have a high opinion of reading plays - but it's not like I have tried to read any, so...maybe sometime. I also have a prejudiced view of graphic novels, even though the few I've read were actually quite good (like Tintin and an animated version of The Hobbit - I gave up on the 'normal' version after two pages because it was difficult to read, not like Lord of the Rings strangely ).

I wanted to get Everyman by Philip Roth after it was mentioned on an arts program - it wasn't at my local shop, so I got The plot against America instead - I gave up after a couple of chapters and a glance through the rest because the ending seemed kind of obvious, and the page-by-page stuff I found tedious and boring. He looks like Larry David - I wonder if he's INTp or INTj (one of those two)?

(anyway, who cares about my ramblings? :wink: )

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany
    Kurt Vonnegut - really anything by him, esp. God Bless You Mrs. Rosewater and Slaughterhouse 5
    Anything by Bill Byrson
    I've started reading some books by Terry Pratchett and they're really fun

I'm reading of all things The Wind in the Willows right now. If you have a kid, you read kids books I guess. Anyway, I'd only read more kid-friendly abbreviated versions before and I'm loving reading the real one. The language is really beautiful.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany
    Kurt Vonnegut - really anything by him, esp. God Bless You Mrs. Rosewater and Slaughterhouse 5
    Anything by Bill Byrson
    I've started reading some books by Terry Pratchett and they're really fun

I'm reading of all things The Wind in the Willows right now. If you have a kid, you read kids books I guess. Anyway, I'd only read more kid-friendly abbreviated versions before and I'm loving reading the real one. The language is really beautiful.
    I've heard a lot about Kurt Vonnegut, but never read ones of his books - I guess I should see what all the fuss is about! I loved Bill Bryson's History of Everything, very informative, and I've read bits of one of his travel books - it had some amusing anecdotes in it, but I don't think they are the kind of books I could read in their entirety - I suppose I found it a bit mundane overall, with no structure.

I find Terry Pratchett's back catalogue daunting - I have no idea where to start. I read some of a book once, and thought it was a bit like Lord of the Rings but with humour and no real urgency to it (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet - need more data ) - I remember some town with some non-human creatures running a fire service, and all the characters having very selfish human characteristics, which I thought was amusing but there seemed to be no sense of direction *shrug*.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    I find Terry Pratchett's back catalogue daunting - I have no idea where to start. I read some of a book once, and thought it was a bit like Lord of the Rings but with humour and no real urgency to it (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet - need more data ) - I remember some town with some non-human creatures running a fire service, and all the characters having very selfish human characteristics, which I thought was amusing but there seemed to be no sense of direction *shrug*.
    There are actually websites out there with advice on where to start in the Discworld series. Here ya go: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...des/index.html

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

second this, and breakfast of champions as well. sounds like our tastes are similar, at least.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've finished re-reading niffweed's suggestion of the cat in the hat, but now I need some more books to consume. I would preferably like to read some books from the Fucked-Up genre, along the lines of Camus, Plath and Mirbeau just because I seem to like reading from this particular genre...educate me, s'il vous pla&#238;t! I also like trashy novels involving lesbian angst, as well as semi-historical fantasies, preferably involving magic.

(Out of the books suggested, I thought Ender's Game was probably the best I read, though Stranger In A Strange Land was very good too - it's better written, I just don't like the ending so much. Not that it mattered, I guess . I read The Breathen by John Grisham, and thought it was O.K., but The Broker by him was pretty brilliant, so I guess I should read some more of his. I thought the ending of the His Dark Materials trilogy was a bit of a let down, though the books were very good otherwise).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

die

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I read The Breathen by John Grisham, and thought it was O.K., but The Broker by him was pretty brilliant, so I guess I should read some more of his.
    The Partner and The Summons by John Grisham are also really good and they are more like The Broker so you may like them too. Many of his books are made into movies so it's good to read his books beforehand since they are usually quite better IMO. When they do go to movie though, they are usually pretty close as far as the books go so by watching the movie first you may not want to read the book. When I bought The Client I started reading it and then remembered the movie so I never actually finished reading it because it was so close to what I had already watched on TV.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

William Gibson is good
    Kitchen was decent (can't remember what it was about really, but I do recall a positive response)
    Haruki Murakami has some interesting reads
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers
    and Red Dwarf: Better Than Life -------Brilliant
    Terry Pratchett
    Neil Gaiman
    Armor by John Steakley
    Osamu Dazai (his short stories tended to be better than his novellas, imo)
    Notes From the Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Candide - Voltaire
    Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ - Nietzsche
    H.P. Lovecraft
    The Future of An Illusion - Freud
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Watchmen graphic novel

The A Song of Ice And Fire series by George R. R. Martin

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers
    My brother has just got this book - I'm going to have to steal it off him, then . Is that Freud book really any good? He scares me.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the book of Freud's I recommended is pretty interesting, as well as brief. Apparently Freud was an award winning writer in his time, which comes out in that one.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dig, Alan Dean Foster - Lightweight sci-fi, but a great 'what if' story of exploration.

The Average American Male, Chad Kultgen - Offensive and funny. You can tell that the author is a fan of Bukowski and Ellis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    The Watchmen graphic novel

The A Song of Ice And Fire series by George R. R. Martin
    I wholeheartedly second the A Song of Ice and Fire reccomendation. IN the five years since I discovered the author, they're still the books I reccomend most.
    First book is A Game of Thrones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like George RR Martin's stuff, you should check out Steven Erikson's books (the Malazan series), while you wait for GRRM to finish his next one in the series.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you might like books by Paul Arden:

-It's Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want to Be: The World's Best Selling Book

-Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite

-God Explained in a Taxi Ride

They are rather "fun" books to read, not as "preachy" as what the titles have suggested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmont View Post
    If you like George RR Martin's stuff, you should check out Steven Erikson's books (the Malazan series), while you wait for GRRM to finish his next one in the series.
    Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer I've actually read the first 4 books of the malazan series. I enjoy those books occasionally, and the width of the scope is great, but I wouldn't say I'm a great fan.
    Are you familiar with Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of you have shitty taste. You might as well sit about watching Power Rangers all day for the things that you read.
    Voted best beach in the world by yahoo 728 times!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isolda Biloruka View Post
    Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer I've actually read the first 4 books of the malazan series. I enjoy those books occasionally, and the width of the scope is great, but I wouldn't say I'm a great fan.
    Are you familiar with Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing?
    Hmm, nope. I'll take a look at it
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Garmonbozia View Post
    Most of you have shitty taste. You might as well sit about watching Power Rangers all day for the things that you read.
    Are there any books involving self-hating surrealist nihilists that you could recommend? Or possibly books where nothing bad ever happens, and the characters are so perfect they send you into a self-hating nihilistic gloom?

I know you have read basically every book ever written on the human condition, which must mean you are an extremely nice and perceptive person.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast