Thread: When you feel depressed or discomforted, what function

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When you feel depressed or discomforted, what function

Do you use to jump start out of it? I am sure there are many possibilities, but I notice that my creative function, and also my 8th & 7th functions.

An example: I become bogged down in something, and I realize I am getting very focused on the current moment (ESE seeking, dynamic seeking, caregiver seeking -- wondering why someone is not doing something to help me out of it). But being me, you cannot always rely on people to be there for you like that. So, I just realized, that if I focus on the future, everything changes. Reset.

Particularly the statement of
    "In 5 years, will I remember what I am doing now? (does it matter)"
    "Is what I am doing now positively contributing to what I wand to do/be in 5 years?"

I know that sounds like something Joy would say (aside: Hey discojoe, tell joy I said hi + this post reminded me of her)
    but it is quite useful for me.

I wonder if these kind of thoughts are motivating for all people, or if they use their 2nd, 7 & 8th functions in a similar way?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definately my creative function. As much as i think far too deeply and much, My Fi creative can always get me out of it. I use Fi creative to generate new ways of looking at the situation, realise that my perspective is skewed and im well on my way to feeling good again.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both what I assume to be and are excellent ways for me to break out of a funk. Unfortunately, when in one of those states, both are likely to appear as the worst possible courses of action.

'The poison is the cure', or some-such?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger
    Definately my creative function. As much as i think far too deeply and much, My Fi creative can always get me out of it. I use Fi creative to generate new ways of looking at the situation, realise that my perspective is skewed and im well on my way to feeling good again.
    I can relate to that.

Fe does not work for me, because it is what I am looking for in my relation to people, it is definitely a "weak" function". Se is neutral in this regard.

What are Fe and Se to you, FMH? What is your type?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joy said to tell you "less than three", but I think she meant <3.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use to generate ...if that makes sense. I also try to steal and from anyone I can.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I become a total prick.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    I become a total prick.
    Become?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When depressed? I snap into heavy-Ni mode. I don't have the energy to Fe.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always depressed. So nothing different really.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    I become a total prick.
    Become?
    I'm not that bad! I saw a post like this coming. I'm trying to clean up my act. I feel bad about some things I've typed.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    I become a total prick.
    Become?
    I'm not that bad! I saw a post like this coming. I'm trying to clean up my act. I feel bad about some things I've typed.
    Just pullin' your leg, innit.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when I get stressed, I start having flashes of strong emotion. Maybe Ne+Fe then. I'll procrastinate more and I am less emotionally reactive (or proactive), but I'll get sudden strong impulses to start doing something. You know... the over-procrastination limbo that is really hard to exit. Mhhh... I see life as static - nothing changes - but I really want something to change, so it could mean I start behaving according to my 7th and 8th function. I kinda start behaving like an ENFp. Mhhh...
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting question. my first response is Te and Ni (7th & 8th functions). get the facts and write them down on a piece of paper and then look at things from the perspective of history and time. this always makes me feel better when i'm depressed or upset about something.

when i'm anxious, it's Si and Fe all the way. i try to be around people who can give me one of these. or i might get with someone else who has strong Ti and that helps too.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know when I'm in a state of stress, I seem to become "locked" as it were in the present moment, which makes it feel like there's no escape from it (quite horrible really ), which I presume is (the being in the present moment bit). I'm not really skilled at beating stress though, as I tend to just let it run its course. I think I tend to try and use and to combat it though, assuming I'm aware of the stressed state I'm in. I dunno, it's hard to explain. I think it's a case of, I get stressed and go into mode. If I'm aware of this (which I'm not always) and have the energy, I try and force myself back into mode by remembering that the state is only temporary. I think that explains it as best as I can.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

makes me feel overly indulgent, so I end up being more depressed than ever. The first thing I try do when I'm depressed is to get myself out of the house as soon as possible, entering "THINGS NEED TO CHANGE" mode. Break out of a familiar environment and go hiking for hours, sometimes dragging others along with me. Immerse myself in nature and just focus on sensing in the sense. I feel invigorated after recovering awareness of my body, so I may exercise as well. I also feel much better if I get to make myself useful by angrily cleaning places up for others -- anger helps me sustain activity, more than anything else. Most of the time, depression stems from a frustration at my lack of progress and state of unemployment -- I need to move about and accomplish tasks just for the feeling of progression, no matter how mundane or meaningless those tasks are. The longer I remain active, the more I feel in control of myself, which lessens the feeling of being trapped in a static environment. So I guess I feed myself with in the absence of my dual. And am damned good at it, too.

I may also look to religion, but can't invest the time in reading more books. It's much easier to throw myself out there and go to a church for the feeling of tranquillity and cleansing.
    “I think, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand (ESTp, UR GUARDIAN ANGEL)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@raisonpure: yes i forgot about the spirituality aspect; this helps tremendously. going to church got me through my divorce! plus it interprets Ni style of time from a spiritual angle aka what is God's plan for me?

ILE

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    interesting question. my first response is Te and Ni (7th & 8th functions). get the facts and write them down on a piece of paper and then look at things from the perspective of history and time. this always makes me feel better when i'm depressed or upset about something.

when i'm anxious, it's Si and Fe all the way. i try to be around people who can give me one of these. or i might get with someone else who has strong Ti and that helps too.
    You mean Ni and Te. (you've got the functions backwards)

plus it interprets Ni style of time from a spiritual angle aka what is God's plan for me?
    That makes more sense. Consideration of many different plans, choosing the one that will best allow you to relate to the world around you. Harmonizing the ideological and objective realms, creating reliable content for both.

But I'm curious, how do these plan appear to you? Do they seem to be automatic, something you know in your heart? Is there a range of plans you believe available, or do you create them yourself?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh...I described how I get out of my funks...

...when I'm in them, I loose all Feeling(almost completely emotionally unreactive, numb), N is my worst enemy...and I need S but I will never say I need it...
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond8

You mean Ni and Te. (you've got the functions backwards)

plus it interprets Ni style of time from a spiritual angle aka what is God's plan for me?
    That makes more sense. Consideration of many different plans, choosing the one that will best allow you to relate to the world around you. Harmonizing the ideological and objective realms, creating reliable content for both.

But I'm curious, how do these plan appear to you? Do they seem to be automatic, something you know in your heart? Is there a range of plans you believe available, or do you create them yourself?
    spirituality is inherently Ni. i don't know what God's plan for me is or what he has in mind. it's my job to look for the meaning in life's events and search for my role in a given situation. when i'm crying boo hoo, i'm supposed to look for the lesson and be grateful for the blessings that i have and to realize that i am a flawed but loved human being.

ILE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP III
    Fe does not work for me, because it is what I am looking for in my relation to people, it is definitely a "weak" function". Se is neutral in this regard.

What are Fe and Se to you, FMH? What is your type?
    I'm thinking in the sense of lively, upbeat company. For example, the other day I was grumped out at having to go to a lab, but when I walked in my table crew was there already and having a good time. Telling stories, making jokes, talking about interesting things - it was a very good atmosphere and very fun, and surprisingly enough, we even managed to get some work done. I came in there not wanting to come, and left not wanting to go.

As for , I'm relating it to physical activity/expression, or perhaps exposure to 'new' surroundings? A walk, bike ride, skate-park session, drive, that sort of thing.