Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: INFp jobs/careers/occupations: what do IEIs do for a living?

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Filatova demonstrating why crack should not be smoked. An -leading type with creative and -HA shouldn't have a job that entails ranting endlessly about philosophy? What the fuck?

I mean I'll concede that hard-science-related academics are bad for IEIs, but humanities and social science-based academics are perfectly suited for IEI.

All IEIs I know personally are slacker students mooching off their parents (or in the case of one, the State of Kuwait).
    I think you say that because you dont understand what academic philosophy is like. Vague, an INFp and long gone member of this site, once told me she liked philosophy, but dropped out of a philosophy course in college because it was too technical, they got into dissecting concepts with mathematical graphs and such; which wasnt for her.

Basically INFps are good with philosophical concepts which dont involve too strict of a system, which I beleive is what academic philosophy is about, INFps are more "mystical"(for lack of a better word), then technical minded.
    IEIs can more or less deal with strict systems -- they're -HA, after all. What they absolutely can't deal with is overly logistical/technical stuff (statistics and the like) -- my IEI friend described them as a "wall of numbers."
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Here's the same Filatova description from a translator rather than from her book:
    Professional possibilities

The most favorable work for IEI can be found in the realm of humanitarian activity. This can be work in music, literature, art studies, the printed press, journalism, conducting television and radio transmissions and interviews. Sometimes representatives of this type are found successfully working in the field of mathematics. However, it is necessary to remember that an IEI’s behaviour is contrasted by any industrial and economic activity.
    Its weird that the translated one would include more detail. Yes by academics she means hard sciences. I take it she doesn't consider the humanities to be academic, and neither do I.
    That's idiotic -- of you and her both. Scientific? Of course the humanities aren't scientific - they're not sciences. The social sciences are scientific in a much looser sense, but they do follow the scientific method. Academic? Erm, both are taught in an academic environment. Gay Crippled Eskimo Siamese Twin Studies is an academic discipline.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of IEI that I know do pretty stereotypical jobs for their 'kind':

Journalism
    Psychology/counseler
    Coaching
    Cook
    IT software design

Though many IEI have the typical IxxP temperament, and don't get very far in life :-)

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Historically, philosophy has included as much discursive work (Nietzsche, Kirkegaard, Sartre, HEGEL) as "technically" rigorous work. Basically continental philosophy (phenomenology) vs. analytical philosophy. While IEIs (or at least this IEI) has a degree of aversion to analytical philosophy (although symbolic logic does quite intrigue me as a complex system of symbols), continental philosophy is, to my mind, indistinguishable from poetry, and therefore perfect for IEIs. Analytic philosophy, however, is in many ways about that thing I'm always complaining about, which is using jargon to press all the uncertainty and flexibility out of language, except they've gone so far as to replace words with symbols in their jargon.

I'm seriously considering a business-y job. Even now, I think a lot about the number side of my dad's business. But currently what I get paid for (not what I do for a living, since I'm still a student):

Directing multi-camera shoots
    Producing videos (coming up with concept, deciding what needs to be shot, doing interviews, selecting clips, picking music, directing the choice of graphics, etc.)
    Writing copy for ads and such
    I do some boring administrative work, but I'm not terribly good at it.

I do some basic editing but writing is at the forefront of what I do.

I think for IEIs it's about a) connecting the mundane to a clear, desirable, and usually "exciting" goal, b) finding an angle from which to view something which makes it interesting (this perspective also often helps you clarify your aims and execute the goal more effectively), and c) self-deception.

I tire quickly of jobs that are very similar to things I've done before; I thrive on change, trying to meet a new goal, trying to learn a new skill, trying to execute a task I've never done before. Especially things that I understand to be high-profile and impressive on a resume. I connect it all to my goal of getting a job in the real world that pays enough for me to live in New York ($35,000+).

It also helps a lot to have someone show us the way to turn ideas into reality. Part of it is jump in and sink or swim, but another part of it is witnessing what it takes first-hand. Once I've seen something enough times, I can emulate it, especially with guidance. Now I'm at the point in my career where I want to take the training wheels off and stand or fall on the strength of my own work, which is scary, but exciting.

So anyway, I'm excited and motivated about my current work because it's going to help me to be financially independent right out of college, which is a BIG priority for me. But after that, I submerge into typical IEI "what's it all for" whinyness. I don't know how I'm going to survive my first big corporate job; they seem so pointless. And all of the interesting ones (ad copywriter, tv showrunner, tv/film producer) are such difficult industries to get into that if I was going to put in that level of work, I might as well try to be an actor and be poor that way, trying to do something that I think I love (while still having a nagging feeling that it isn't the right career for me.)

I don't know that I know that many other IEIs. Lots of people I'd type as EIE, but few that I'd type as IEI. One probable-IEI works in the business side of the music business while working on his songwriting in classes, presumably at night.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    So anyway, I'm excited and motivated about my current work because it's going to help me to be financially independent right out of college, which is a BIG priority for me. But after that, I submerge into typical IEI "what's it all for" whinyness. I don't know how I'm going to survive my first big corporate job; they seem so pointless. And all of the interesting ones (ad copywriter, tv showrunner, tv/film producer) are such difficult industries to get into that if I was going to put in that level of work, I might as well try to be an actor and be poor that way, trying to do something that I think I love (while still having a nagging feeling that it isn't the right career for me.)
    Semi-tangent, but I had an epiphany about "What do you want to do with your life?"

What are you going to regret not being a part of that's unfolding right now? What, if it comes about, are you going to be sad that you had no part in its realisation? What's the #1 thing that you value and, if you hadn't pursued it, would leave you feeling empty and unfulfilled on your death bed?
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do nothing for a living.

I don't have a job. I'm a loser who is with his mom a lot.

You can make fun of me now. (I'm used to it)

=p

I'm a writer but all my books thus far have been free. I feel like either I'll be dirt poor, or I'll make it big as a narcissistic hollywood CEO celebrity.

I want to be published but I'm not sure that I can be as politically incorrect as I am, and still get paid. Perhaps I still can, but it's just this fear I have. That and my Te-polr. I'm not trying to make any excuses here, but really I'm just very anti-business. I just don't give a shit. I'd rather be homeless and make a moral point then to get a job I don't want. If I do work it would have to be very meaningful. Or something that's really just....unique. I don't want to be like a typical middle class person and feel like a 'victim' to a typical boss. I either want there to be no bosses or be the boss themselves. YOU ARE NOT THE BOSS OF ME ESTJ BUSINESS MAN. go away!!!
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 07-29-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    Semi-tangent, but I had an epiphany about "What do you want to do with your life?"

What are you going to regret not being a part of that's unfolding right now? What, if it comes about, are you going to be sad that you had no part in its realisation? What's the #1 thing that you value and, if you hadn't pursued it, would leave you feeling empty and unfulfilled on your death bed?
    Well, that's a good question, and I'm going to attempt to give it a serious answer.

The first thing I would say I'd miss is the opportunity to be a part of a really great production of a play or musical. Specifically, I'd miss being an actor. Being an actor is being in the very center of the communicative impulse. Even more immediate than writing, acting is the most vital and immediate form of communication we have. Plato said the poet was the magnet, the audience strung along into the air. And while the poet (or playwright or screenwriter or what-have-you) may be the driving force of the operation, the actor is the tip of the magnet. The force goes through the actor. The actor is closest to touching.

But I don't really like who I am as an actor. Acting is an extraordinarily tough and painful profession, one in which your ultimate goal is to lay yourself completely bare, and yet at the same time, off-stage, actors must protect not only their sensitive, raw, exposed nerves of feeling, but also their sense of self-worth from constant rejection (and this for inherently approval-seeing people!) Actors are constantly being told to feel everything, to experience each moment more fully than we can in real life, to take everything personally. But at the same time, we are being told to take nothing personally: no rejection, no recasting, not being written out of the show, not being replaced by a younger performer, not the drying-up of offers nor the pidgeon-holing in parts. As a result, a lot of actors, myself included, develop terrible habits of self-defense. Gossip, backbiting, sniping at each other... these are the evils of the actor, and however excusable they are (better than the alternative, which is constant fistfights), I don't feel comfortable living that way. Actors are too catty, and I'm too catty when I'm working in theater and dealing with theater kids. And beyond that, I just have this vague sense, in my chest, somewhere left of center, that I'm just not supposed to be an actor.

The other thing that I'd miss, what I'd like to persuade myself I'd miss even more, is poetry. But I'll always have that. I don't need anyone's approval or assistance to sit down in front of my computer and communicate the scoring from the air, to divine the form of the motion. If the actor is at the tip of the magnet, communicating most intimately with the other live individuals, the poet is at the back of the magnet, sucking up pure power from the air, in that undefined space. The poet is in contact not with the audience member to whom he speaks (in fact, the poet's power comes from his very distance from the reader/beloved) but with the spirit in the air and the self he has half-remembered and half-forgotten, the unseen forces, the genius behind the wall. He pulls out magnetic force from its mysterious store (yes, I know, magnetic force is just a property of certain items, but flow with me here) in the invisible, manifesting its sensuous force, passing it through himself and his readers before it sparks, effervescent, back into the void.

So, I'll always have that---but I can't make a living writing poetry, so I've gotta add something to it. I always have my poetry to keep me vital, to keep me talking to something, even if it's only the memory of myself and the spirits I cannot see. Writing poetry keeps me live and vital.

But all of that energy circulating gives off radiation, heat that can be harnessed for other purposes. While I will always believe that the intellectual and spiritual activities involved in reading deeply and writing thoroughly are my true source of power, my true center, my true self; I can still use those effulgencies, those castings-off, to power a much less difficult (but very necessary) goal: earning a living.

I'm never going to earn a living from poetry. The only option is to be a college professor, to lead a few workshops maybe. But at least for right now, staying in New York City is a high enough priority for me that I am unwilling to accept the complete and total lack of control one has over one's location, when one is a college professor. And I am very afraid of how I would react to having to teach stupid students who don't really want to be in my class (despite the fact that I would assuredly be an entertaining professor; I'm entertaining even when I don't want to be).

So, that option closed, I have to start thinking: how can I use the creative and intellectual energy generated from my "real" artistic pursuits to help me earn a living, given also a decent work ethic, certain basic business skills I've picked up from starting work experience early and keenly observing my father's business grow, and the good fortune of academic success giving me a "launching pad" into the Real Worldtm? Well, the easiest answer is to do what I'm doing now: writing and producing video. After all, it's what I have experience in, it's what I have a resume for, and so I probably have the highest chance of a decent starting salary if I continue working in this vein/industry. And since salary is a huge part of the goal (given that artistic pursuits are satisfied by writing), this seems like the most logical avenue. And yes, I do enjoy it. Especially producing live TV, you do get a lot of the "rush" I get from writing and acting and reading (and probably would get from teaching). There's motion, urgency, energy. I love high-pressure situations, and I think I thrive in them. I like thinking on my feet. I like using my brain, especially when the basic focus is still the same as in writing and acting: communication. It's communication with a more limited range of potential, or at least, a different sort of potential (more potential to move dollars than souls, unfortunately). But it's still communication. And doing post-production work is also communication; I do get a great feeling of satisfaction from finding the perfect clip from an interview to illustrate my point or encapsulate my message.

So it seems to me that work very similar to what I'm doing now, with some mixture of live production and post-production, possibly as a freelancer, would be the ideal situation. It would still leave me with time to think, to read, to write. And if I live on relatively modest means (I'm still worried about how I'm going to negotiate a wife and kids, but that's a pretty long ways down the line), I can freelance and still have huge swaths of free time for art.

There are a few other industries that I'm still looking into, that I don't know enough about to feel out if they would move me at all: grant-writing, ad copywriting, publishing. But to be honest, embarking on an area in which I have no experience (I have a little more in advertising) just seems like too much work---I might as well just try to be an actor or a professor, if my odds are so low!

I worry sometimes that I've stopped dreaming big enough. And I'm keeping the option of completely shifting career direction after I've established myself for a year or two and gotten some savings in the bank and some work experience under my belt. Grad school remains a possibility. I might say, fuck new york city, I'll move to Gramlin, Ohio and be happy about it! I might decide that my ethical and spiritual qualms about acting are rubbish and recklessly apply for every class I can get into, throw myself into Yale School of Drama, and emerge as a Musical Theater Actor, a bass-baritone for this generation. If someone lets me do Shakespeare on top of that, I'd just about die (Shakespeare actor, maybe even director, now that I think about it, is probably best bet for sheer happiness as a human being).

But for now, I'm facing the immediate challenge of getting a job after graduation, because I really think I'd die if I had to move back home. That's my mortal fear right now. Once the specter of my mother's house has faded into the horizon (and, just to clarify, it's not 'cause my parents are evil or abusive or anything; it's more because they're too nice and I just can't bring myself to hurt their feelings by being the person that I want to be when I'm constantly under their roof(s)), I may change my mind and follow my dreams with reckless abandon, salary be damned. I'm still holding out hope that, without any significant credits on my resume, I'll land a job in a touring company of a musical straight out of college, and I'll tour the country singing and dancing and having a grand old time.

But until I choose that path, I'm going to continue down the road I'm on, headed towards a job as a video writer/producer/editor (maybe even as a shooter, if I can motivate myself to do so). If I can get some good credits on my resume, I may eventually move into reality TV as a story producer, which could eventually pay a good salary, especially if I transition into telling other people how to do their job (which always pays better than doing anything yourself). I'll always have my poetry; so I'll always have myself. And I'll surround myself with close friends and family to satisfy my urge to be with others. I'm holding out for a great "love of my life" who I can truly share my life with, and that'll be a big help on the "other people" front. And beyond that, I'll just make sure my skillset stays sharp, and then I'll go where life takes me.

I just gotta get out of my mama's house first!

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

Though many IEI have the typical IxxP temperament, and don't get very far in life :-)
    Many Ejs don't get very far in life either. It's not type related.
    yes you are right. A bit too much generalization on my side.

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im going to join the biker gang " The Bandidos" or be a loony seeming bum that preaches about the gods while dressed up as a clown, but actually speaking the holy commandments of truth.

Let them laugh and burn in their ignorance.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I connect it all to my goal of getting a job in the real world that pays enough for me to live in New York ($35,000+).
    you can live in NYC for 35K? How?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ACTUALLY? Nothing. I'm married to an attorney. However, I have made money selling my handmade woven rugs and hand-spun yarn. Not enough to live on of course. Before I was married, I worked in graphic design for awhile and then my favorite job was working at a bookstore. I'd do that again, if it paid more. I'm currently writing more and considering grad school with the goal of teaching writing at the college level.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nietzsche's work is WHAT? Technical? Lol.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I connect it all to my goal of getting a job in the real world that pays enough for me to live in New York ($35,000+).
    you can live in NYC for 35K? How?
    1) Live in Astoria
    2) Get 1 or 2 roommates (preferably 2)
    3) Live cheaply.

NYC isn't that much more expensive than other places, besides rent: metrocards are cheaper than gas (even if you're getting the month-long metrocard), groceries are actually cheaper than average, although restaurants are more expensive (passing on the additional cost of rent). I'm not sure about utilities, but I bet they're comparable or lower than most cities, and again, the roommate thing is a big help. So I've gotta find a friend or two to live with after graduation, but that shouldn't be too terribly hard; I know people who want to stay in the city after graduation, so I should be able to swing it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I could see it working with a couple of roommates. However, rent is truly astronomical in NYC, even a small one-bedroom in Manhattan will run you 3-4K per month. But you wouldn't be living there I guess. cheers! NY is fab!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

NY is fab!
    cept' for the cockroaches. j/k.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I could see it working with a couple of roommates. However, rent is truly astronomical in NYC, even a small one-bedroom in Manhattan will run you 3-4K per month. But you wouldn't be living there I guess. cheers! NY is fab!
    Gracias. Yeah, leaving in Manhattan is really unfeasible right out of college. There are some fairly cheap places towards the top of the island in Washington Heights that I could maybe swing if I'm more in the 40-45K range, which is a possibility depending on how well I set myself up during these next two years college with internships and credits on my resume and such. Also I hope to get some freelance work---I've got a good voice for radio or voiceovers or maybe even voice acting (which I'd love to do), and I have a few other miscellaneous skills that I can hopefully use to get some part-time work. The other options in Manhattan (Murray Hill) are really only for junior analysts at investment banks and the like, although the salary of a junior copywriter (one of the jobs I've got my eye on, but also one of the hardest to get right out of school, especially without any really exciting social media creative up my sleeve) might be enough to swing it.

Anyway, living outside Manhattan is pretty popular/reasonable for people out of college with good starting positions. Brooklyn and Queens both have areas with fairly quick service to Manhattan, with a reasonable commute (15-30 minutes, 45 minutes on the outside maybe). I hope I'll be working in Manhattan though, so I'll have a reason to go into the city regularly.

And thanks! I love New York. Once I get this whole job thing figured out, I'm really looking forward to single life in my 20s, and I can't think of a better place for that than New York.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awww, sc I'm so excited for you! You've got your whole life ahead of you. What a great time!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welllll I am currently working in a warehouse that sells boat parts. It pays lol.. I'm just out of high school though, it's not permanent.
    I get to work with my friends and we don't have to deal with customers so we can basically say and do whatever we want.
    most of the time it just feels "bleh" but I occasionally get this really restless feeling, and other times it feels almost therapeutic, especially if I'm dealing with drama in my life.

*shrugs* I don't hate it, it's a lot better than doing nothing.

TIM
    LSI-Ti, E3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.) IEI-Fe: Works behind the counter of a coffee shop/small venue.

2.) IEI-Fe: Voice coach/singer...She's a hell of a teacher.

3.) IEI-Ni(?): General overall Artist/Model/Musician of the 'goth scene'.

4.) IEI-Ni: Early education teacher.

5.) IEI-Ni: (possibly EIE-Ni) Photographer, singer, writer, producer, show host.

6.) IEI-Fe: Well-paid audio producer/mixer I've worked with.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m IEI-Ni
    I have actually done some (but not all) of the things below for money and enjoyed them as my Ni was utilised to find patterns, read people, look to the future and predict what was going to happen….

Tarot Card Reader, Psychic or Hypnotherapist
    Psychologist & Counsellor
    Planner & project coordinator i.e. weddings, events or for businesses
    Poker player
    Other work I have considered and appealed to me….
    Journalist
    Poet
    Working for Hallmark writing rhymes for cards
    Novelist
    Working for a charity
    Vet
    Weather forecaster
    Opening a café or gift shop
    Property surveyor or Estate Agent
    Learning languages and working from home translating stuff for money

TIM
    LSI- Se 6w5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ex fiancé is an IEI-Fe and he's seemed to mix and match his jobs for the last 6 years.

He started out doing computer science at university but got bored of that and decided to do an apprenticeship as a mechanic... later realizing he hated that.

After that he went off and studied horticulture/permaculture and was working as a horiticulturist for a while.

Currently he's a web designer/host, IT worker, internet marketer.... while he's study Environmental Science. He also works part time in a legal highs store and also is a yoga instructor. He's a little all over the place, but he manages to pay all the bills... so that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

seems to be a common theme for IEIs to switch between couple different jobs/careers ... I frankly can't see myself working in the same field all my life

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEI's, how did you choose the right career for you?

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one wants to share?

Of the IEI I know:

One works for the government
    A lot work as engineers or lab researchers and techs
    Two work in graphics design
    A few work retail/hourly jobs
    A few are stay at home parents because they can afford the means.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI can't get jobs. They are all poets and stuff.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They just get this hot, successful manly guy to buy the world for them. Oh wait no that's EII.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first glance, IEI and the military would seem to mix like oil and water but a technology focused branch of the military like the Air Force sounds like a great choice for a struggling INFp trying to figure out what to do with their lives.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey starfall, without taking reality into consideration first, what do you actually dream of doing?
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's beautiful. I have a friend who is into that. She wants to build a small residence in a natural forest an provide art therapy there.

What kind of art are you interested in?
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I randomly found my way into the restaurant industry and liked the money that serving offered, along with the people and lifestyle that came with it (the majority tend to be betas, for some reason, unless you're at a stodgy place like the cheesecake factory), so it's what I'm doing until I can start bartending. writing is what I would ideally like to do, but the proxies for that are annoying and redundant to me; not to mention the fact that I've encountered more artists in places most distant from the classroom.

re starfall: the military does offer good structure and whatnot, but it's still extremely stifling. I wouldn't go back or recommend it, even though I was in one of the better branches (air force and navy get the perks). there's too much experience you miss out on being stuck on a ship/plane/whatever, under someone else's authority, in a uniform.

re octopuslove: I thought that would be a problem for me as well, but having dealt with a variety of types in the industry, it really just comes down to adaptability. they don't really care about your emotions, you just have to tweak instinctive responses to match their facial gestures and think in more tactical than personal terms. there is a morbid fulfillment to getting tipped generously by a bunch of upper-class jewish women whose intoxication you aided.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Creepy-male

Yea the military isn't that great, I think it works better for STs mostly and some NTs.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starfall the best way to get in art may be to inspire leaders to seize their potential to create products that employ your services. People will become what INFPs make of them... that may seem pathetic, but only INFP will really demonstrate the concern to make people feel unalone in dealing with responsibilities.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much enjoy all forms of art. I'm good with my hands. Lately I've been doing oil painting & I've really taken a liking to it. It's so relaxing & a great way to express & capture emotion.
    Let me see what you have starfall. If you're serious in this, I'll see where I can get you in 3 years time.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Sorry to hear that. :/ Idk about the navy, but I always thought that the Air force would be a great opportunity to get out there to see & experience the world. My dad has been so many cool places. I feel like people in that branch of the military are also a lot more grounded & open minded because of this. I hear it's pretty tough in the beginning, though. It's a complete lifestyle change.
    the navy and air force are much more laid-back than army and marines, lol. still, you'll always have the base majority of cunts and drones. but this mainly depends on what field you're going into, which also determines the perks you'll get after boot camp. the latter is miserable in the beginning, but definitely doable unless you completely fuck off. idk, my instincts wouldn't suggest it as a good fit for you in general, just because of your artistic bent and independent/solitary nature, but who knows. what jobs do they offer that are up your alley?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

octopus, what kind of PA do you want to be, if not corporate? Also, how much do you usually expect to get paid for such a job?
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Haha! I bet you'd flirt with them just enough, manipulate them with your charms...

I guess I kind of meant more in a 9-to-5, office-drone, cubicle kind of environment where you need to know the right people and go to the right schools, and learn to be fake-chummy with all the people you work with and see every day at regular soirees with wine and canapes and guest speakers. That's why I quit law school, I started working in a law firm as a data monkey and all that networking, pretending-to-be-EJ bullshit just got to be such a drag. I suck at self-promotion as well
    lol, I see what you mean. the quick cash that came with serving was what made the mechanical animals, 'I'm smiling but predating on the twisted obligation that brought you here' easier. corporate settings have always been depressing.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My years in the military weren't wasted but the bureaucracy and politicking were noxious. Taking orders from haughty morons and babysitting grown men were also nuisances. Unless you're the sort of masochist who enjoys being treated as disposable chattel or you've been lobotomized by blind jingoism, you might want to consider other career paths than defending corporatism under the guide of democracy for Uncle Sammy.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i'd rather let my career choose me. i've wanted to be a psychiatrist to a preschool teacher to a photographer in less than a month. so whatever comes, comes.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    mmm I didn't

I'm not sure if there is a "right" career for me tbh, but may be I'll find it one day
    Be a translator, or an information organizer/presenter to a business owner / politician . You've been picking out good articles so far.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Safe" IEI career paths?

I'm curious to hear suggestions: What, given the current state of things, might be some relatively "safe" career paths that might be suitable for an IEI. I'm mostly interested to hear of ones that will reliably yield 40k+.

Thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast