Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 219

Thread: INFp jobs/careers/occupations: what do IEIs do for a living?

  1. #81
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's an article in Russian about IEIs and work, for what it's worth.

    Socionics.org

  2. #82
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    16,260
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaknet View Post
    accounting-->stability-->not a bad professional resort for the "souless" iei.
    No. Just...no. Forget about economics & accounting. I know 4 INFps that have attended/attend the same university I did, and they're all really unhappy. (I'm not saying they're doing badly. They have pretty good grades.)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    accounting is a truly terrible suggestion

  4. #84
    stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clumsy View Post
    Do INFps make good counselors or therapists? Or is that more the INFj's line of work?

    An INTp friend of mine once said I was a good listener but that they did not think I could tell people what they needed to do when the time called for it.

    All of the INFjs I know seem like they would make fantastic counselors because they can understand what people are feeling so well and can pinpoint issues so easily. I doubt my own ability to be of any help to people when I see INFjs doing this so effortlessly with others. Should INFps stay away from counseling?
    Counseling wouldn't be my first choice, but if it was something to do with my experiences, I might be more confident about it (for example, drug abuse.. except I've never convinced anyone to stop yet actually.. But it could be different if I was in a facility where people come to me first).

    I'm not good at other things mentioned here. Silverchris is a true lyricist. Not to be too literal, but I've never really cared as much for lyrics as I have for music (mostly guitar playing). This goes for poetry as well, where my interest is casual. Even when it comes to listening to music, lyrics are the last thing that grab me. It's often that I find depth of feeling within melody itself. Words don't even come to the forefront sometimes. I just want to jam. I don't know what this means Socionics-wise..

    While I like reading and writing a bit, it kind of shows that I'm not strongly focused on words.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,002
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Breathing.

  6. #86
    wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,100
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    I'm not good at other things mentioned here. Silverchris is a true lyricist. Not to be too literal, but I've never really cared as much for lyrics as I have for music (mostly guitar playing). This goes for poetry as well, where my interest is casual. Even when it comes to listening to music, lyrics are the last thing that grab me. It's often that I find depth of feeling within melody itself. Words don't even come to the forefront sometimes. I just want to jam. I don't know what this means Socionics-wise..

    While I like reading and writing a bit, it kind of shows that I'm not strongly focused on words.
    Hm. perhaps I should expand it to communication in general, through whatever means you're more naturally attracted to. I mean, while I associate music more with Fe than with Ni (insofar as music is about a changing implicit dynamic rather than this sort of... reading/interpretive thing), I can totally see how music as a form of sign-reading could satisfy the IEI thing for communication and interpretation (which I think is a major strength/interest of Ni). Does that jive with your thoughts/experience?
    Not a rule, just a trend.

    IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

    Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

    I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

  7. #87
    stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Hm. perhaps I should expand it to communication in general, through whatever means you're more naturally attracted to. I mean, while I associate music more with Fe than with Ni (insofar as music is about a changing implicit dynamic rather than this sort of... reading/interpretive thing), I can totally see how music as a form of sign-reading could satisfy the IEI thing for communication and interpretation (which I think is a major strength/interest of Ni). Does that jive with your thoughts/experience?
    It's hard to say. I used to aspire to performing a little more (even dabbled with theater too), but music is mostly for my own therapy, so it's hard to associate with Fe exactly.

    Interestingly, after I wrote that, I ran across this in the Stratievskaya description.. I relate to this. Maybe it's just a combination Ni/Fe/Si.


    3. Introverted sensing

    The stronger the sensory sensations, received by this type, the brighter and more lively are felt the emotions associated with these sensations. For this very reason they are able to achieve great success in fields where their entire “emotional palette” finds its brightest use – music, theater, poetry and so forth. For example, IEI musicians frequently perceive the beauty of sound precisely through its expressiveness: a beautiful sound is emotionally saturated and rich in overtones, whereas a plain sound is inexpressive and “empty”. The same also relates to the perception of colour combinations: a beautiful combination is one that gives rise to emotional meaning or symbolism. (For example, designer- Esenin spent a long time unsuccessfully selecting colour combinations for his project, then, suddenly, “in the mood” he drew a picture, and transferred the colour from this figure into his work.)


    In any case, I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.. and unfortunately, I'm pretty grown up.

  8. #88
    Sir Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I could see being, like, a Philosopher Plumber. Wandering house to house, setting up piping, stopping leaks, inspecting pipes... And when I'm elbow deep in someone's toilet, fishing for their car keys that their kid tried to flush, they may, for the briefest second, look into my eyes and catch a glimpse of infinity, the sum total of human knowledge burning into their mind. And then I'll say something incredibly profound and wise and tender, followed by a long string of profanities when I lay the tip of a finger on those god damn keys and they just slip away again.
    4w5 sp/sx

    Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

  9. #89
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    -Evil overlord
    -Artist
    -Stalker with a Crush
    -Hobo
    -Basement dweller joker who thinks he's a genius.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  10. #90
    you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,456
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whatever they want to be.

  11. #91
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Whatever they want to be.
    For once, I actually agree with Bro Galen.

    IEIs are, indeed, awesomely manipulative enough that they can maneuver themselves into anything they want to do. Which is usually nothing.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  12. #92
    stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    For once, I actually agree with Bro Galen.

    IEIs are, indeed, awesomely manipulative enough that they can maneuver themselves into anything they want to do. Which is usually nothing.
    lol.. what is that.. like an insult veiled within a compliment..

    Fe is not manipulation. Get off your cartoonish socionics kick. Fe would simply kick your ass, if it could atm. Manipulate your face maybe.

    don't take this as me being too pissed. just sayin.

  13. #93
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    -Evil overlord
    -Artist
    -Stalker with a Crush
    -Hobo
    -Basement dweller joker who thinks he's a genius.
    drue also drug dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    lol.. what is that.. like an insult veiled within a compliment..

    Fe is not manipulation. Get off your cartoonish socionics kick. Fe would simply kick your ass, if it could atm. Manipulate your face maybe.

    don't take this as me being too pissed. just sayin.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  14. #94
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    lol.. what is that.. like an insult veiled within a compliment..
    It's a straight-up compliment (wrapped up with a jokey backhanded insult). I like clever manipulative fucks -- I am one.

    Fe would simply kick your ass, if it could atm.
    That's Se.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  15. #95
    stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    That's Se.
    It could be Se in isolation, but it depends on what my objective is. I wouldn't want anything out of it other than a laugh and maybe to set some shit straight. Simply fighting is not Se.

    Second, if you want to necessarily be duplicitous and manipulative, rather than actualizing and externalizing your thoughts and passions, then gtfo out of beta. Be it positive or negative, it isn't for conniving, weasel-ish pieces of shit.

    edit: Ideally, that is

  16. #96
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, I do realize that Fe consists of externalizing thoughts and passions -- it's also by extension responsible for skills in arousing people's passions and manipulating/maneuvering their moods into a desired outcome. Blocked with Ni/Se (especially when Fe is the producing function) leads to a desire to channel that skill into longer-term goals; which in essence leads to manipulation. Or rather, to a specific type of emotional manipulation. Gammas are just as conniving in a different way; and Judicious types are capable of it; though being less ambitious they're less likely to use it to control-related ends.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  17. #97
    stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Yes, I do realize that Fe consists of externalizing thoughts and passions -- it's also by extension responsible for skills in arousing people's passions and manipulating/maneuvering their moods into a desired outcome. Blocked with Ni/Se (especially when Fe is the producing function) leads to a desire to channel that skill into longer-term goals; which in essence leads to manipulation. Or rather, to a specific type of emotional manipulation. Gammas are just as conniving in a different way; and Judicious types are capable of it; though being less ambitious they're less likely to use it to control-related ends.
    Having a goal isn't necessarily manipulating. Nor is appealing to other people's passions.. simply seeing where people are coming from doesn't mean you don't share the same thoughts.

    I've aroused people, for example, to walk out with me on a job and quit.. they might have previously been inactive about it, but it doesn't mean I tapped into something deep or wasn't there. They just needed a situation that clearly spurred it on and provoked them. All I had to do was point out that staying would be a dead end.

    Maybe that should be my career skill, ironically. Getting people to quit jobs.

  18. #98
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You'd be surprised how suggestible people really are.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  19. #99
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But all of this is really taking away from the crux of the matter:

    IEIs are AWESOME!
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  20. #100
    stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    You'd be surprised how suggestible people really are.
    You don't know what I'd be surprised about yet. That's indicative of how poor your manipulation would be with me.

    And why the fuck do you announce this anyways.. even if manipulation was a tactic of yours, that's so amateurish to talk about it.

    Anyways.

  21. #101

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default INFp careers/occupations: what do IEIs actually do for a living?

    For anyone who's willing to share, it'd be appreciated. I specify "ACTUALLY" as I know it is common for IEIs to have distant future aspirations, but I am curious to get a variety of examples of how the bills are actually paid.
    (To give you an idea of where I'm coming from: I figure these examples might yield some "day job" ideas that I too, as an IEI, may find to be relatively painless, so I can best support myself financially in my artistic pursuit.)
    Thanks!

  22. #102

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,968
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aasdfae View Post
    For anyone who's willing to share, it'd be appreciated. I specify "ACTUALLY" as I know it is common for IEIs to have distant future aspirations, but I am curious to get a variety of examples of how the bills are actually paid.
    (To give you an idea of where I'm coming from: I figure these examples might yield some "day job" ideas that I too, as an IEI, may find to be relatively painless, so I can best support myself financially in my artistic pursuit.)
    Thanks!
    I think it's pretty common for IEIs to have a little more difficulty finding a good day job. Entry level jobs don't necessarily make much direct use of Ni. However, if you get a job in a field where you'd like to go further, that's a good start. For example, I know someone I think is IEI who wanted to go into some sort of counseling. She was a psych major and got a job administering surveys, which eventually lead to more counseling-type stuff.

    A lot depends on your talents. If you're artistic, there are a lot of jobs in graphic arts (I know people I think are IEI who are in graphic arts). They may be more just formatting stuff at first, but it's a start. If you're good with Photoshop and know some client-side web programming, there are a lot of jobs there. If you're good at writing, there are sites devoted to journalism jobs. You can also start out as a copy editor (I know people I think are IEI who are writers or copy editors). If you're really great at an instrument, then you can teach kids how to play it, do accompanying/weddings, or even audition for local orchestras (or play in a band or something). (I also know some IEI professional musicians.)

    So...It is possible. Your specific talents/skills and long-term goals are probably key to narrowing down onto something.

  23. #103
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,101
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Filatova on IEI "Job Options"
    The best job for IEIs is one that doesn't concern academics. Some examples of good job choices are musicians, authors, tour guides, journalists, talk show hosts, etc. Sometimes IEIs can be found doing well in the field of mathematics. However, keep in mind that the worst jobs for this psychological type concern business and administration.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  24. #104
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Filatova on IEI "Job Options"
    The best job for IEIs is one that doesn't concern academics.
    Filatova demonstrating why crack should not be smoked. An -leading type with creative and -HA shouldn't have a job that entails ranting endlessly about philosophy? What the fuck?

    I mean I'll concede that hard-science-related academics are bad for IEIs, but humanities and social science-based academics are perfectly suited for IEI.

    All IEIs I know personally are slacker students mooching off their parents (or in the case of one, the State of Kuwait).
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  25. #105

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,968
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Filatova on IEI "Job Options"
    The best job for IEIs is one that doesn't concern academics. Some examples of good job choices are musicians, authors, tour guides, journalists, talk show hosts, etc. Sometimes IEIs can be found doing well in the field of mathematics. However, keep in mind that the worst jobs for this psychological type concern business and administration.
    Avoiding jobs in business and administration is good advice for IEIs, not that they have to be told that. Saying "avoid academics" and then suggesting that some do well in mathematics seems a little contradictory. The difficult thing is that most jobs require some academics or administration to get into them. One doesn't find job ads that say "Talk show hosts wanted! No experience needed." Usually, entry-level jobs involve some sort of detail work, and it's probably best to take it as something "good for you" because it's a life skill to do that stuff and realize it's not really that bad.

    However, that's a pretty good list overall. "Tour guide" is an interesting suggestion because IEIs may be able to talk themselves into such a job based on their personality, charm, and interests, and that would avoid the sort of "desk work" found in a typical job.

  26. #106
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,101
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's the same Filatova description from a translator rather than from her book:
    Professional possibilities

    The most favorable work for IEI can be found in the realm of humanitarian activity. This can be work in music, literature, art studies, the printed press, journalism, conducting television and radio transmissions and interviews. Sometimes representatives of this type are found successfully working in the field of mathematics. However, it is necessary to remember that an IEI’s behaviour is contrasted by any industrial and economic activity.
    Its weird that the translated one would include more detail. Yes by academics she means hard sciences. I take it she doesn't consider the humanities to be academic, and neither do I.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  27. #107
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My Fe-INFP sister is currently a phlebotomist at a large hospital, and has more work ethic than I do. She began her first job in high school and has worked ever since, while I never cared much about working or earning money.

  28. #108
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    My Fe-INFP sister is currently a phlebotomist at a large hospital, and has more work ethic than I do.
    I suppose that's possible for Normalizing IEIs, but... it's bloody weird. I'd be more inclined to think this of an N-EIE.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  29. #109
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's not really type related as far as introverts go, besides us tending to be low energy. But my dad is Ni-ENFJ and he has a ton more work ethic than either of us, it's not just EJ temperament, but it seems common of their drive.

    IJ doesn't mean more "proactive," and IP and Te-PoLR isn't "lazy," though in MBTI it comes across that way a lot more because descriptions of Js make them superficially out as having more of an important and together life or something... as though I honestly think my correlates to organization and scheduled decisiveness, yeah right.
    Last edited by 717495; 07-27-2011 at 04:09 AM.

  30. #110
    Bananas are good. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Rift
    TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IP descriptions sound decidedly lazy.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

    Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

    For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

    -Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

  31. #111
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,333
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd say it's more in the feel of the temperament than the actual lifestyle. It's important to understand that they're two separate things, temperament and work ethic or attention to action and participation.

  32. #112
    Azeroffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,204
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of the IEIs I'm sure of: one has been working in a subway for at least 4 years, and the other works at Macys and also as a masseuse. The first wants to be a nurse, and the second wants to get into the medical field, but I can't recall what specifically.

    Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I'd say it's more in the feel of the temperament than the actual lifestyle. It's important to understand that they're two separate things, temperament and work ethic or attention to action and participation.
    this
    3w4-5w6-9w8

  33. #113
    silke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Posts
    4,690
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    from memory:

    IEI-Ni, female, psychologist. Runs her own practice. She has tried various small business ideas with her husband until getting a psychology degree in her mid-30s. now she runs her own psychology groups. The income isn't great but her schedule is flexible which is important for IEI-Nis - plus she makes lots of social contacts through her work.

    IEI-Ni, female, librarian - not that happy with where she is wrt to her work.

    IEI-Fe, male, did his undergrad and master's degrees in physics/math. Taught physics at a small liberal arts college for a number of years until traveling abroad to teach math/physics/english in Kazakhstan at some international center where he made a lot of money on this job. Got married, bought a house in Russia, had 3 kids.

    IEI-Fe, male - got an undergrad degree in Philosophy. In his mid-30s traveled to Spain to do an MBA in 1 year accelerated program. Finished with his degree and started looking for work, applying to some HR positions. 1 year later still jobless relying on his girlfriend to support him.

    IEI-Fe, male - learned Arabic and French and worked as a translator primarily for military. Saved up enough money to retire early in his 50s and now pursues his dream of writing while doing some handywork and repair jobs on the side.

    IEI-Fe, male, military - never revealed what it is exactly that he does. I only know that he gets frequently deployed for many months on end and he mentioned something about submarines, possibly works on one.

    IEI-Fe, male - professor of chemistry, leads a research group of about 15-20 people.

    IEI-Ni, male, IT

    IEI-Fe, male, director of NICU at a hospital

    IEI-Ni, female - got a degree in math, works for an insurance company. Pretty happy with her career.


    I'm gonna make an educated guess that HR work also attracts IEIs. Fe men like IEIs and ESE seem to do particularly well in job associated with the military, perhaps because it provides them with the much needed structure and some specialties pay very well.
    Last edited by silke; 10-21-2018 at 07:09 AM.

  34. #114
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,508
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My best friend is an IEI. I obviously cannot know for sure what she's gonna be doing by the time she grows up since she's only 19 now, but she applied for an art university this year and got in and is planning on becoming an artist.

    She has had several summer jobs, including chuggering for greenpeace (), telemarketing and helping disabled/elderly people with their household chores.

  35. #115

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's what all the IEIs I know do:

    F Veterinarian
    F Veterinarian Technician
    1M 2F Architect (3)
    F Interior Designer
    M Aerospace Engineer
    F Fashion Designer
    F Nutritionist
    F Environmental Conservation Agent
    M Airplane Mechanic
    M Psychologist
    M High School Teacher
    F Employee Trainer for Insurance Company

    These are people who are family, who I knew when I was young, or that I've met professionally. My network doesn't include that many lawyers, business / manufacturing ppl, finance ppl...I'm in more of a creative sector. So be careful about inferring what "IEIs are suited for" based on my circle of acquaintances.
    IEE

  36. #116
    Hiding Typhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Valhalla
    TIM
    Ni-ENFj
    Posts
    2,641
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Filatova on IEI "Job Options"
    Filatova demonstrating why crack should not be smoked. An -leading type with creative and -HA shouldn't have a job that entails ranting endlessly about philosophy? What the fuck?

    I mean I'll concede that hard-science-related academics are bad for IEIs, but humanities and social science-based academics are perfectly suited for IEI.

    All IEIs I know personally are slacker students mooching off their parents (or in the case of one, the State of Kuwait).
    I think you say that because you dont understand what academic philosophy is like. Vague, an INFp and long gone member of this site, once told me she liked philosophy, but dropped out of a philosophy course in college because it was too technical, they got into dissecting concepts with mathematical graphs and such; which wasnt for her.

    Basically INFps are good with philosophical concepts which dont involve too strict of a system, which I beleive is what academic philosophy is about, INFps are more "mystical"(for lack of a better word), then technical minded.

  37. #117

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,968
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Filatova demonstrating why crack should not be smoked. An -leading type with creative and -HA shouldn't have a job that entails ranting endlessly about philosophy? What the fuck?

    I mean I'll concede that hard-science-related academics are bad for IEIs, but humanities and social science-based academics are perfectly suited for IEI.

    All IEIs I know personally are slacker students mooching off their parents (or in the case of one, the State of Kuwait).
    I think you say that because you dont understand what academic philosophy is like. Vague, an INFp and long gone member of this site, once told me she liked philosophy, but dropped out of a philosophy course in college because it was too technical, they got into dissecting concepts with mathematical graphs and such; which wasnt for her.

    Basically INFps are good with philosophical concepts which dont involve too strict of a system, which I beleive is what academic philosophy is about, INFps are more "mystical"(for lack of a better word), then technical minded.
    My opinion is that it varies with the person. There seem to be "strong Ti" IEIs and "weak Ti" IEIs. The "strong Ti" IEIs may cause some people to think that they're LII, but enough about IEI fits them to type them as such. I know both kinds. Socially, they can appear pretty similar.

    Part of it, also, is that people can have all kinds of abilities independent of type. People tend think that math or academics = Ti, but that's not necessarily the case.

    What I have found, though, is that IEIs who are aware of Jung are more likely to avoid what they think of as "T" subjects on principle, whereas if they don't know anything about typology, they may be less inclined to restrict themselves.

  38. #118
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    16,260
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah my economics classes were chock-full of IEIs, although tbh I did't really understand why the hell they choose to orient their future towards such realms. They all seemed rather unhappy and emotionally restrained; it also seemed like their type of world outlook was very distant from what was being taught. Let me explain further: oftentimes the concepts of optimization, allocation of resources, process streamlining, game theory, behavioral economics/finance were an automatic perfect fit for my own set of skills, to the point that my real-life behavior was naturally aligned with those "theories", much before having ever heard of them. IEIs seemed out of place from this POV, they did learn the subject well, but my impression was that it didn't impact their world view and they didn't truly make it "theirs". So, if I were a college advisor / tutor, I would never tell a IEI to go down this route.
    The smartest Beta NFs almost always chose the most heavily mathematical courses, yet from my POV they seemed to be enthralled by the mathematics itself yet completely unconcerned with the real applicability and impact of such theories. I know it may sound stereotypical, but that was my impression.

    Anyway, the happiest IEI I know works as a graphic artist / webmaster and sings rap on the side. He's quite successful at both, I actually often attend his performances. Another one works as an architect and seems quite happy, too - even though the salary is relatively low. The least happy IEI I know is a normalizing subtype female that works in the audit section of a big bank - that's too even for a dominant like me.
    Last edited by FDG; 07-27-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  39. #119
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    16,260
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I actually did try to incorporate these theories into my own worldview at one time, but grew to hate it over time. It was too impersonal. Work work work, earning money and achieving stability are all that these Te valuers seem to be preoccupied with. There's much more to life than this. What is wrong with these people? What happened to aspirations and ideals? What's with useless fears, sticking to status quos, and living robotic lives? It just kills.
    Eheh but those theories aren't supposed to be normative, only descriptive! At least, that's how I usually approached the issue - "this is how the world might work, then do what you want with it".

    Besides, what you wrote (that I personally think it's true, even if I'm a valuer myself) is exactly why I don't think IEIs are fit for banking, insurance, etc. you'll end up working with people that are terribly drone-like, eventually getting depressed.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  40. #120
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    16,260
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Eheh but those theories aren't supposed to be normative, only descriptive! At least, that's how I usually approached the issue - "this is how the world might work, then do what you want with it".
    An ENTj I know assumes that this is the way the world works and should work. Common sense he calls it.
    I agree with the first part, not really with the second - it's not how it "should" work, otherwise it would be a normative theory Just one of the many possible universes, and we happen to be living it.

    Being uncertain Ni Ips, IEIs don't exactly choose the more "suitable" degrees for themselves. They sort of go with the flow, their choice mostly influenced by family members. And because whatever degree you choose largely determines your career (due possessing relevant skill sets) you sort of have to do it even if you don't like it. Unless you get lucky.
    Yeah, that makes sense, even though I still don't think it's a good choice. Probably IEI can even become engrossed in the financial advisory and conseuling part of the job, yet I still believe that an environment full of dominant types might be unhealthy for them.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •