six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are LIEs-ENTjs into gadgets?

Almost every ENTj I know IRL is a gadget freak.

One buddy of mine has a custom fancy car stereo, dual flat panel monitors for his computer, a giant flat screen plasma TV, home theater, a few different gaming systems, tennis rackets, digital SLR cameras, dozens of different cellular phones, etc. Another was a car freak. He had a Nissan Maxima (Cefiro) and turned it into a 400hp beast with a supercharger, and then he put a custom turbo on it and it was probably making close to 450-500hp. He could out-run BMW M5's with that thing, and spent more money modifying the car than it was worth new. Then he sold it off and got a Mitsubishi Evo and modded the heck out of that thing, and who knows how much power it has other than "WAY TOO MUCH", lol. Then there's a "probable" ENTj down the road from where my parents live. The guy has a giant boat that's nearly as big as his whole house parked in the driveway half the year (which is hilarious), a BMW M3, and I've seen all sorts of stuff parked out on their driveway when he's cleaning out his garage once in awhile.

I'm more a minimalist.

I have a 99 model year car which is STOCK and has 158k miles on it. In an era where everybody is buying gigantic plasma TV's I have my 27" Sony WEGA (flat screen but tube type) which I bought years ago and is still fine. I kept using a big CRT computer screen for years until late last year when I picked up a 20.1" FP for $229 on sale. It would have been $600-700 a year or two ago for all the early adopters. Why bother? Just wait and it'll be a ton cheaper in a year or two. I have one phone, a Blackberry 8700c which I use a ton, but now that a "NEW" model is out I'm not rushing to trade in and get the new one. My old one works just fine. My mentaility when it comes to gadgets is that you're paying a premium price for inferior goods since new technology is always flawed and they'll have a superior 2nd or 3rd generation product out if you can wait a few years for 1/4th the price.

So what would this relate to in the Socionics sense for ENTJ's. Does it have to do with the hidden agenda "to be powerful"? Having the latest stuff, big toys, etc would show that, but I've never cared about that. Is the ENTJ motto something along the lines of "the man with the most/best toys when they die wins"?
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if Expat will relate to this at all. I have a hunch not, which would then lead me to believe that I may have a biased sampling of ENTJ's, or that maybe it has nothing to do with being an ENTJ. This is just something I've noticed... I think ESTp's are more likely to be the "show off" type and have a lot of "junk" like this also.

edit: was replying to diana but i guess you deleted your post...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a gadget freak, and I'm not an ENTj... I would get them all if I could afford them. But yeah, since I can't afford them, I either have to wait, or try to force myself to forget that they exist. I have a nice 21 inch HD TV, an Xbox 360, this nice gaming PC, a 17 inch LCD monitor, Satellite TV, etc. All in my bedroom. :-D
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTps can be gadget freaks as well. Gamma NT gadget freaks are pretty easy to spot due to their use of that sounds like a regurgitation of the "specs" of their new devices.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj
    I'm wondering if Expat will relate to this at all. I have a hunch not,
    Your hunch's correct

I don't relate to this at all. In fact, this is a major characteristic of my ENTp brother. He spends a large part of his disposable income precisely on this kind of stuff.

I was never into gadgets, I usually look into value-for-money rather than into "gadgetry". My cellphone, laptop, camera, etc are all rather old and rather basic.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Your hunch's correct

I don't relate to this at all. In fact, this is a major characteristic of my ENTp brother. He spends a large part of his disposable income precisely on this kind of stuff.

I was never into gadgets, I usually look into value-for-money rather than into "gadgetry". My cellphone, laptop, camera, etc are all rather old and rather basic.

so odd. i was just about to mention my ENTp brother in this thread. he's much more into gadgetry than i've ever been, and like your brother, i'm pretty sure a whopping amount of his income goes towards this stuff. my dad isn't much of a gadget-guy either. a lot of my stuff is ancient as well and i try to get maximum mileage out of it.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be more of a Perceiving thing, then?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, I probably just have a biased sampling of ENTJ's then. And yes I know they're ENTJ's for sure.

Broadening the scope then, I wonder what causes gadget-freakdom, and if it relates to any personality/socionics characteristics? Attention seeking hidden agenda to be loved from ExTp's might be a possibility since some others noticed an ENTp trend. Come to think of it, an ENTp co-worker a few jobs ago was a huuuuuuuge gadget freak. He loved talking about them, and I think he probably used that to bring attention to himself on purpose. And then there's the NT system/technical attraction which would apply to all NT's as well. Come to think of it, this is probably an NT-common theme since all the gadget freaks I've ever known have been NT's.

hmmm...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hunch's correct

Of course, I also knew Alpha NTs who were the same way. They were more about getting the "best-bang-for-their-buck" for things they were indifferent to, since all they really cared about was whether or not it worked well enough for the designed function simply because they were into other things. It is possible that "gadgetry" is not necessarily something that is peculiar to a particular type, but something much like a hobby that appeals to multiple types. I am sure that an ENTp, ISTj and INTp can all be "gadget freaks," but have different methods and behaviors regarding it.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be Si, Te, NT, or all of the above.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quick note: not saying i'm "anti-gadget" or anti-technology really. i have always been into computers and such. just that if you place me next to my brother, you'll see who is obviously more of the gadget-freak. buys all sorts of extremely up-to-date technology whether he technically can afford it or not.

i don't know. i relate much more with your way of thinking, steve. ): i think the only thing my brother's gadget fetish has done for him is put him in tons of debt.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a gadget freak. When I have more money I am going to buy all kinds of neat stuff.

Examples of things I'd buy:

Super expensive binoculars.
    Night vision goggles.
    Lots of expensive novelty and survival knives (I like the big fat Swiss Army knives with a million tools on them)
    A high-tech compass and GPS.
    An ipod.

I also like buying accessories. I bought a protective case for my DS and several screen protectors, as well as a few spare styluses. I'm the kind of person who goes on a three hour hike with outdoor pants, shirts, special sunblock, outdoor sunglasses, a new pair of hiking boots, special outdoor energy food, the works. I like being prepared for everything. I used to bring along bird guides for the region I'd be hiking in, and I also share my outdoor survival knowledge I learned in scouts. When I paintball I will have special gloves just for paintballing, a neck guard, a custom barrel, et al. Everything has to be nice and neat, and I have to feel like I am fully prepared. You may think I am anal, but I would kick ass on the field.

To me, these things are all gadgets. I think being a gadget freak is more of a mindset than a specific hobby. The correlation is that these are all fun little toys that help us tweak our performance and/or overall enjoyment.

I used to be into bikes, and I would get my parents to buy me an expensive one, then I'd take it apart and learn the names of the parts and how and why it all works.

So... I guess I'm saying that maybe it's not type-related.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL my mom is such a huge gadget freak it's hilarious. It's a running joke in my family. You name a gadget, she's had it. She even had a Flobee! Especially kitchen gadgets though.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    LOL my mom is such a huge gadget freak it's hilarious. It's a running joke in my family. You name a gadget, she's had it. She even had a Flobee! Especially kitchen gadgets though.
    And what type is your mother? I know you have told us before, but I cannot seem to remember.
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hunch's correct

I would say the same from my experience ENTPs are more into that sort of thing.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate buying things.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    And what type is your mother? I know you have told us before, but I cannot seem to remember.
    She is an ENTj
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IME ENFps sometimes get really into fooling around with gadgets (Superid probably). My landlady in France was ENFp. She spent about half an hour trying, and failing, to get our washer to work.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my good friends is ENTj. He has only just got a job (about a year now). Hes got a list a mile long of things he wants to buy like he just spent $300 on a pair of headphones. He wants a Plasma TV, new car, Xbox 360 games etc. Hes always buying dvd's. Im not sure if he really is not frugal or if hes still excited about having money.

Lately he has been saying he needs to save so hes been putting cash under his bed lol. Good interest on that one :wink:
    I think he invest or something soon tho
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am an ENTj and not at all in to gadgets.
    ENTJ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So....basically the collective circumstantial evidence in this thread seems to indicate that being a gadget freak is not necessarily related to type.
    Johari Box

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    So....basically the collective circumstantial evidence in this thread seems to indicate that being a gadget freak is not necessarily related to type.
    Yeah.

If anything, ENTj's might be more informative on the cutting edge of technology, although gadgetry is just a small portion of that edge. ENTj's may even know a lot about gadgets without actually purchasing the newest, hottest stuff out there, or in other words, being gadget freaks.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my ENTJ dad hates gadgets of any kind. Especially kitchen gadgets. Though I think once he gets used to the new gadget, he really likes it.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a gadget freak. I love anything new.

My husband would repeat Heath's sentiments. LOL. Any expenditure of money = bad. Except on tools or car parts, based on what I've seen.
    -Mark Twain