Thread: Finicky/Fussy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finicky/Fussy

Is this related to any particular function? If so which one? Intuitively, it seems associated with , but in what form/capacity?

Help a doofus out.

I like when others exhibit a refined taste for something, but am amazingly turned off by finicky behaviour. A positive example might be appreciating only a certain brand of medium-roast coffee at a trendy cafe, but when informed it is not available, taking it in stride with a, " Oh - coffee, black then." In contrast, wanting to leave in a huff for some other place because you 'only ever have' that one thing is flirting dangerously close to me handing you a bus fare.

(Indeed, that - ironically - is fussy behaviour in itself.)

Another example happened recently at work. On a quick 30-second break, a co-worker refused to drink some water because he noticed 'floaties' in his cup. Good grief, man - we're sweating like pigs, covered in sawdust, and breathing in all sorts of chemical shit and you're concerned about 'floaties' in your drink? I wanted to reach out and smack him in the side of the head.

Add your stories!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finicky/Fussy

What exactly are these 'floaties'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finicky/Fussy

Quote Originally Posted by Elro
    What exactly are these 'floaties'?
    Who knows?

Better yet, who cares? :wink:

Still kicking, so they obviously weren't poisonous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I somehow have a feeling that it might be PoLR, or at least a weakness in it.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more hidden agenda. I used to freak out at "floaties" in my drink, but now I just stare at them for a long time and try to get them out or try to avoid drinking them (hoping they get stuck to the side of the cup). I mind my floaties, thank you very much. I also drink specific water. The water I drink must taste right, or else I start gagging when I drink it. The only thing I'm really picky about is water though... I can't eat old food either, but I'm getting better at that because I'm a lazy cook.
    INTj

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was drinking tea and a miller landed on the inside of the mug. I flicked him upwards and he left a trail of shit. I swirled the tea around a little bit to see if it would wash the shit off. Then I drank it.

I'm not finnicky at all. I'll be afraid of something when it poses actual harm to me. I have conflict with this statement because some little things people worry over could have ill long-term effects. Carcinogens and such. I had a friend who was really finicky and afraid of germs. We were camping once and I picked up something left by other people. "What if it is all diseased?!!?" "you think infectious bacteria and parasites survive out here?" I honestly think a lot of our daily hygiene and sanitation issues are invented by the hygiene industry. Things need to be clean, but you don't have to autoclave your dishes. Only morons get sick from undercooked food because only morons undercook food. It's much more dangerous to eat out than to eat something off the floor.

I stay at arm's length of all microwaves.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    I was drinking tea and a miller landed on the inside of the mug. I flicked him upwards and he left a trail of shit. I swirled the tea around a little bit to see if it would wash the shit off. Then I drank it.
    holy hell that's disgusting and amazing.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His digestive system isn't very complex. I really doubt it houses any bacteria which could harm humans.

edit:

it was a he-miller.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compared to heath I'd be a finky, princess, bitch. Actually compared to many people I am.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, actually, I agree. I was thinking about it in another way from what was originally intended.

I was thinking about it in terms of only wanting freshness or something that doesn't look like it will harm you. For example, I still dislike eating from cutlery that someone else has used, even if they were used by someone like my girlfriend.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-When it comes to food, I am not generally picky in the traditional sense. Sometimes at school festivals / large dinners, a group of kids would mix all the disgusting food scraps in a cup and put it in the middle of the table. I remember being the one to drink it on several occasions. I would never make a big deal of drinking it either because receiving too much attention for doing so would defeat the purpose of showing my lack of concern.

-I tasted the pet's food just to make sure it was "okay." This happened especially with one dog whom I adored. For some reason people tend to think this is gross?

-Direct care (showering, toileting, dressing, etc. other people) doesn't phase me. It annoys me when people come to work and act disgusted by bodily processes. I have acute senses, but long ago learned to mouth breathe so as to avoid the worst scents. I seem to always have to tell others "breathe through your mouths" or "it's not that bad, calm down." I will admit that I am slightly wary of my own bodily processes, but I would never let on if I were wary of someone else's. Not sure why this is.

-A habit of mine has always been to "scratch and sniff." There was once dry, whitish gunk around the door knob of a client's bedroom door. We were trying for quite some time to figure out what the banging on the door was. I had suspected it might have been self stimulation, so without thinking I just scratched off some of the gunk and sniffed it. I was right!

There are countless other stories. Overall, I'd conclude that I tend to be a little too anti-finicky. I mean, I needed to be told not to lick the rocks in geology class when I was 21 years old. I should have considered that others would not want to touch them after I licked them, but simply forgot because I was too interested in finding out what I could determined by licking them. So basically I have learned to over compensate by carrying alcohol wipes. That way I can clean an object after I've licked it, or clean my hands after I've touched something germ-ridden. Oh and I never did these things to show off, just sort of did them nonchalantly. I guess finicky people always struck me as egotistical and a hindrance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa
    -I tasted the pet's food just to make sure it was "okay." This happened especially with one dog whom I adored. For some reason people tend to think this is gross?
    This I've done on several occasions. It comes down to being picky even about what my pet's eat, but everything else makes my stomach turn.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The person I know who is most finicky about stuff, and who would have DIED the moment Heath drank that tea, is my INFj sister. We were going to the zoo one time last year, and I had this container that I'd gotten popcorn in, and if you saved the container you could get it filled when you went back for like 50 cents or something, and my daughter likes popcorn, so I brought it. It had been sitting for a while and the top wasn't on it well, so I was afraid it might be a bit dusty on the inside. I swished it with some water and dried it out. My sister said, "aren't you going to wash it PROPERLY!?" And I said I'd washed it before I'd put it away and it couldn't have gotten that dirty just sitting there. We don't have bugs in our house or anything. She said again I needed to WASH it with soap and water and I said that's silly and I refused. Guess what - she refused to have any of the popcorn. And she brought it up a couple of times while my daughter was eating the popcorn. Wasn't I afraid she might get SICK?? Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN!!! Whatever. She also buys these cheap Glad containers to store leftovers, but she washes them out first. With soap and water. Actually, I think in the dishwasher. So I asked her if she washes out plastic baggies before she uses them too. She looked at me like, "OH MY GOD I hadn't thought of those FILTHY plastic baggies!" I just keep leftovers in a regular dish with plastic wrap over the top. See, I'm more worried about re-heating stuff in plastic and having the plastic leech out into the food than I am a bit of dust in a popcorn container.

I agree with Heath 100% and my ISTp husband has said basically this same thing:
    I honestly think a lot of our daily hygiene and sanitation issues are invented by the hygiene industry. Things need to be clean, but you don't have to autoclave your dishes. Only morons get sick from undercooked food because only morons undercook food. It's much more dangerous to eat out than to eat something off the floor.
    As far as finicky so far as being picky about what you like and don't like, I can be very picky and my husband can as well. I can not STAND the feel of fake fleecy material against my skin. I truly hate it. And I don't wear jewelry, even a wedding ring, because I hate the feel of wearing jewelry. My husband is very picky as far as food and things go. He likes everything prepared JUST SO. Cooked just so, with just such and such seasoning, etc.

I'm sure this kind of thing is Si but it might show up differently depending on whether it's a dual-seeking function, an ego-block function, etc.

I was visiting my family in Australia, and they're having a severe water shortage, or they were a few months ago when we were there anyway, so they would wash their dishes in just a little bit of soapy water and not rinse them. I told my sister and she said that she would NEVER go to Australia if they don't wash dishes properly. She didn't care how little water there was, she would wash in plenty of hot soapy water and she would rinse in running water.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slacker Mom,

Tell your sister this (true) story --

As I've heard from people who worked in the gastronomy industry, if you send (say) a steak back to the kitchen for not being done enough, sometimes the cook will say "oh yeah? Not done enough? Maybe now it's done!" and spit on it before doing it a bit longer.

She'll probably never eat out again.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh she knows about that. She would NEVER send anything back to the kitchen if she were eating out. But it isn't like most restaurants are that sanitary anyway. I swear she's OCD or something like my dad. Those two are both a little nuts.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'd probably be on the more finicky side of things. I'm not as bad as Slacker Mom's sister, but I do like things to be clean and sanitary. However, I usually don't make a big deal about it, and if there's something weird about what I'm supposed to eat or drink I try to find a quiet way around it. It's easier to go through with things like that, though, if I can pretend they don't exist, which is probably why I would have balked at the "floaties," too.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't touch something with 'floaties' in it, but I wouldn't complain if they didn't have my favourite brand of whatever, unless I didn't like the other alternative brands. But I do know people that wouldn't be concerned by the whole 'floaty' thing.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I am very picky in the sense that I know what I like, whether it be a type of drink, a style of clothing, a type of art, a film...... but I appreciate opposing things and see value in them, and I dont get annoyed if I have to settle for something that is not my number 1 choice.

So im fussy, but only in the sense that im pretty well aware of my own preferences.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!