Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poets Who Aren't INFp

Leonard Cohen (was a published poet long before his music career) - INTp?

Amiri Baraka EXXj

William Butler Yeats - INTj

W.H. Auden - IXTp
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the complete list, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, there's at least two more:

Rabindranath Tagore - INFj

David Hinton - ENTj
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeats was LII?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe he was. He renounced transcendentalism but ended up preoccupied with endless metaphysical possibilities for the rest of his life, which for me indicates Ne > Ni. His poems to Maud Gonnet are dripping in Si. Working through his poems is like working through a maze of Ti, for me - endless aphorisms and allusions. Editions of his work are usually footnoted like crazy.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T.S. Eliot: INTj
    Ezra Pound: probably not INFp. don't know what though, he was friends with Eliot
    Dr. Seuss: ESFj
    William Blake: ENFj - either that or INFp.
    Lewis Carroll: INTj
    Matthew Arnold: ENFp
    Ogden Nash: ENTp
    Emily Dickinson: INTp
    E.E. Cummings: ENTp
    William Shakespeare: ENFj
    Walt Whitman: probably S

Let's narrow it to non-Beta-NF poets, since there are plenty of ENFj poets.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Let's narrow it to non-Beta-NF poets, since there are plenty of ENFj poets.
    Yeah, I noticed this when going down the list. For what it's worth, though, I still think Shakespeare was ENTj.

Emily Dickinson was probably a Si-ego type.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you type William Wordsworth?
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leonard Cohen.... . =)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shakespeare was INFP IMO
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Shakespeare was INFP IMO
    I always felt he was ENFj, can you explain?

Can anyone type Goethe? All I can figure is that he's an NF type
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goethe was most probably ENFj or ENTj.

I'm afraid I dont know too much about Wordsworth. I think Coleridge was INFp, though, if it helps a bit and you know something of their relationship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't leonard look slightly enfj? mmmm

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think William Wordsworth was definitely a Ego type - I think maybe ENFj, but INFp\ISFp are possible IMO. I don't really know how to type his poetry - he obviously describes the colours of things + textures etc. which might be , but most poets do that so I don't know what to make of it.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 02-29-2008 at 05:52 PM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Interesting. I thought the rather dry tone and extensive use of archetypes pointed toward INTp.

When I think of Si-ego poetry, I think Walt Whitman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goethe was most probably ENFj or ENTj.

I'm afraid I dont know too much about Wordsworth. I think Coleridge was INFp, though, if it helps a bit and you know something of their relationship.
    Goethe ENTj? lol, how? He's recorded as being emotionally unstable (especially in the first half of his life). his novel "The sorrows of young werther" was actually based a lot on his own feelings and experiences, from existential depression to suicidal thoughts to hopeless love. He never finished most of the things he wrote due to his moodiness, he went to school to become a lawyer, like his father, but found law boring in contrast to art and literature. In German litterature his work greatly aided a move towards sentimentality and romanticism which would take place at the end of the 18th century.
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect even ESTj makes more sense for Goethe, he was very focused, a collector of everything and a keen designer of gardens. All the stuff he collected over the years (rocks, china, etc) is still in his house in Weimar, which has been left untouched since he died.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I thought the rather dry tone and extensive use of archetypes pointed toward INTp.

You might be right. I though Si, more because she seemed slightly avarcious during her life, and her poetry is steeped in color contrast and descriptions of nature.

@ Misutii, I'm still not convinced he was an NF. I believe he was an extrovert, and most probably Ej temperament. The accounts of his life, that he was immer so romantic at heart and couldn't abide law or science have always seemed to me slightly exagerated. He was a polymath, and so he couldn't have been all that averse to everything but literature and drama. I also believe he was probably Fi>Fe. His attitudes toward religion and the moral underpinnings of his philosophy have always indicated the man had strong conviction in this area, though he doesn't quite voice this explicitly. Then again, you are talking to someone who enjoys Faust, but despises Werther especially the title character, who has always struck me as a whiney, impetuous pansy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be right. I though Si, more because she seemed slightly avarcious during her life, and her poetry is steeped in color contrast and descriptions of nature.

@ Misutii, I'm still not convinced he was an NF. I believe he was an extrovert, and most probably Ej temperament. The accounts of his life, that he was immer so romantic at heart and couldn't abide law or science have always seemed to me slightly exagerated. He was a polymath, and so he couldn't have been all that averse to everything but literature and drama. I also believe he was probably Fi>Fe. His attitudes toward religion and the moral underpinnings of his philosophy have always indicated the man had strong conviction in this area, though he doesn't quite voice this explicitly. Then again, you are talking to someone who enjoys Faust, but despises Werther especially the title character, who has always struck me as a whiney, impetuous pansy.
    lol werther rocks, first novel to have a marketing scheme (selling werther dolls) and to inspire copy-cat suicides.

Anyways Goethe was bright, really bright, had an IQ of 150-170, which might make it more difficult to type him....

regardless ENFj, INTp, INFp, or INFj seem likeliest types in my opinion.

@Expat - I don't think the collecting really points towards ESTj at all, more so INFj. I really don't think one of my favourite literary figures could be my conflictor, in fact it's about as likely as famous successful historical emperor being INFp. Ah yes, I can imagine it now, inviting a group of male ESTjs to read poetry with me in the backyard, imagine how fun that would be.
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii
    @Expat - I don't think the collecting really points towards ESTj at all, more so INFj. I really don't think one of my favourite literary figures could be my conflictor, in fact it's about as likely as famous successful historical emperor being INFp. Ah yes, I can imagine it now, inviting a group of male ESTjs to read poetry with me in the backyard, imagine how fun that would be.
    fair enough, perhaps INFj makes more sense.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!