Thread: Do INTps copy others more than other types?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do INTps copy others more than other types?

I find that other INTps copy my behaviour, achievements, interests, etc. Is this a type thing?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

I don't know, but I do it a lot and I'm not supposed to be an intp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do INTPs copy others more than other types?

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    I find that other INTps copy my behaviour, achievements, interests, etc. Is this a type thing?
    Can you give an example?
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally can't think of any examples right now, but I've got a feeling this is something I sometimes do. I'll elaborate further if I think of anything specific.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't relate to this at all.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj
    I can't relate to this at all.
    Perhaps you're not Dio's identical then
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mimicking behavior seems necessary for a person to achieve his purpose in certain social settings.

Copying interests / achievements sounds annoying, but I suppose an INTp might be more apt than some types to desire competence in many areas. So, for example, if a skydiver tells the INTp about his skydiving adventures and the INTp has never skydove or even really considered it, he might start to think and even briefly express interest, like: "Hey, perhaps I should try skydiving." I know I've done it before. Somebody's achievement makes me realize I'm lacking knowledge or skill in that area, so I may begin to pursue it or at least study up on the jargon for the sake of easing the interaction.

There's also the element of INTps being top-notch chameleons. Be careful about labeling behavior as "copycat" when it may be more about remaining neutral and/or private, or even neutralizing a social interaction.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i don't know many INTps, but I could see them doing things after others do it, which could be seen as copying by others who value uniqueness or initiative in their own ideas. I think I know many ESFps who will do something after seeing others doing it. I might notice that more since they are my conflictors..

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I copy in order in order to be original. You know, I stole the idea of wearing clothes from my next door neighbor. And you know taking showers..I kinda' copied that behavior from someone else too. Don't even get me started on my worm farm...

In seriousness, I don't relate to this behavior. I don't think INTp's copy other people's behaviors any more than other types.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quirk Satellite Div.
    I copy in order in order to be original. You know, I stole the idea of wearing clothes from my next door neighbor. And you know taking showers..I kinda' copied that behavior from someone else too. Don't even get me started on my worm farm...

In seriousness, I don't relate to this behavior. I don't think INTp's copy other people's behaviors any more than other types.
    If you are INTp I could see how you are confused by this. I think Ni dominants just take what comes, in this sense people who dislike "copying" in the sense of stealing ideas for some kind of detrimental gain are barking up the wrong tree.

ESFps I think do it because they feel like they should be more experienced than all others.

Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirk Satellite Div.

If you are INTp I could see how you are confused by this. I think Ni dominants just take what comes, in this sense people who dislike "copying" in the sense of stealing ideas for some kind of detrimental gain are barking up the wrong tree.

ESFps I think do it because they feel like they should be more experienced than all others.
    Before I go any further, let me retract my statement about INTp's not being prone to copying anymore than any other type. I want some clarification on this. Obviously the original question wasn't very clear, but I have heard other people make quick statements on how types are the ultimate conformers and copycats. This could be true in some cases, or this idea could be just bitterness being thrown into the wind.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. Perhaps I do 'copy' to a certain extent, although I wouldn't call it that. It's, as has previously been said, just finding out about something that interests you and you never knew about, or never tried before. Another way I copy people is in needing an example of what somebody means in order to create something similar.

For example, if I'm asked to write an essay on a certain topic, I'm more likely to look for a previous example of this, so that I know where to start.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    For example, if I'm asked to write an essay on a certain topic, I'm more likely to look for a previous example of this, so that I know where to start.
    Hmm.. so perhaps it's copying a context rather than mirroring the exact details of something? If that makes any sense at all..
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa

Mimicking behavior seems necessary for a person to achieve his purpose in certain social settings.

Copying interests / achievements sounds annoying, but I suppose an INTp might be more apt than some types to desire competence in many areas. So, for example, if a skydiver tells the INTp about his skydiving adventures and the INTp has never skydove or even really considered it, he might start to think and even briefly express interest, like: "Hey, perhaps I should try skydiving." I know I've done it before. Somebody's achievement makes me realize I'm lacking knowledge or skill in that area, so I may begin to pursue it or at least study up on the jargon for the sake of easing the interaction.

There's also the element of INTps being top-notch chameleons. Be careful about labeling behavior as "copycat" when it may be more about remaining neutral and/or private, or even neutralizing a social interaction.
    Okay this makes a lot more sense.

Yes if somebody talks about something that interests me that I know little about, I may want to learn more about it. I have a long pattern of this whether it's cars, photography, personality/temperament stuff, or anything really. It's not really "copying" as much as it is just learning something new. I like to take in as much as I can, and then if/when I get bored with it I find something else to learn about. I get to the depth I feel I need to be at to suit *my* purposes, and then that's when I generally get bored and move on. I know a little about A LOT but don't happen to posess huge amounts of "Ti" knowledge about any one particular topic. For example, some of the engineers I work with are "Ti hacks" about very specific things where if I need to know something about that thing, I go talk to them. I learn what I need to and then move on, but I have no desire to learn *EVERYTHING* about that specific topic. It's impossible to do so, especially being a Te type where you're more concerned about the overall big picture or system level characteristics and not about understanding every single little minute detail. The "Ti hacks" are incredibly knowledgeable about very narrow sub-sets of things but often have a complete inability to see the big picture, which is where I come in, and then we start butting heads.

So I can see how this might be considered "copying", but I'm really just picking someone's brain about something, finding out whether what the know is useful to me, and if so picking their brains some more and sorting through the information they give me until I'm satisfied with my understanding and move on. If the other INTps here are like me, we tend to have very broad interests which means learning about a lot of different things, potentially from other people, which could be considered "copying" I guess from their perspective.

From a social standpoint, I may "fake" an interest in something just for the sake of conversation despite the fact that I really have no interest. That's not copying though, it's faking. I think that has more to do with polr Fe and having no clue whatsoever and how to read people, so you know bringing up a topic of their interest is more likely to bring up a positive response, which covers for the polr Fe in a way I guess.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's copying and blatantly so

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drd252
    That's copying and blatantly so

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Hardly. You need to learn how to drive a car before you can drive, right?

I need to learn how to write a certain type of essay before I can write my own one. I almost never copy what's been said before, I just get the style.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I only plagiarize sometimes, because I have no style.
    INTp, ILI Logical subtype

Drum 'n' Bass head

GorillaSound.net

Creepy-Diana

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COPYING OTHERS

IS IT INTP RELATED

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

discojoe is on the fire.
    asd

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The INFp will actually mirror the emotions by feeling them; the INTp is making an effort to fit in - when s/he cares, when s/he doesn't, no -- this is also true for ISTps, and you should have seen electric in London during the Fe exercise
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I only plagiarize sometimes, because I have no style.
    You are obviously not seeing the distinction here, so I'm not going to waste my time on you.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copying others is related to Fe, I think (communication, etc.). Therefore everyone copies other people; it's just that INTps are the most unsubtle about it.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One time I was talking to this INTp kid at a restaurant.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"What's up?"

"Uh, just here with some friends, you?"

"..."

"..."

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Hi."

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"What's up?"

"..."

"..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean

"Hi."

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"What's up?"

"..."

"..."
    You know, thinking about it, there is actually a good case for ILIs not copying others. The need for independence and not to go with the flow would mean that ILIs are likely to take the option less travelled than the norm, just so that they aren't copying anyone else. I know that I have done this before, deliberately done something different just to make other people realise that they don't have to copy everyone else like sheep.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just copied Expat with my signature! I admit it! I put my type's functions in it.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be +Ni, being in tune with society?

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stahp copying meeeee.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ieist View Post
    Could it be +Ni, being in tune with society?
    necrophile

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've kinda gotten the feeling that ESI's copy/try to blend in more than ILIs (if we're sticking within the gamma quadra).

At least in a superficial way of trying not to look awkward,

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imma gonna copy every post in this thread.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Imma gonna copy every post in this thread.
    What? Is you is or is you aint ILI now?

Also re: location, J4 is OP
    Easy Day

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    What? Is you is or is you aint ILI now?

Also re: location, J4 is OP
    Yes!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Yes!
    lol I really should read a type thread once and a while.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post

"Hi."

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"What's up?"

"..."

"..."
    Sounds like echolalia/autism, not just ILI personality, necessarily.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    Sounds like echolalia/autism, not just ILI personality, necessarily.
    DiscoJoe is an asshole, I'm fairly sure that was a lame attempt at a joke.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

who the fuck resurrected this old ass thread?