from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INxP ... Te or Fe?

So, there's this guy. I can't figure out whether he's an INFp or an INTp. If anything, he'd definitely have to be an extreme subtype of either. I just don't know which one.

Well, first off, I feel a strong kinship with this person because he definitely likes nearly all the same things I do. We share nearly identical music, movies, book tastes and such. The typical based kind of stuff, you know. I was almost 100% certain he was INFp until he took the similarminds test and came out an INTP (even though that's MBTI based-ish and not quite so reliable, it still made me question) ...

Getting to know him, there are quite a few distinct differences between him and I. Firstly, he's very into the sciences, especially chemistry and biology. His dream is to be a geneticist. I am hardly into such things, preferring English and the Arts any day... however, he is equally as skilled in English as I am, writing amazing short stories chock-full of what seems to be

He said something interesting though: He can't write about anything he is too passionate about because he always thinks it is never right, he is never satisfied with the end product.

Also, he seems to enjoy IEI-based characters, games, etc. as I mentioned above and his heroes are IEIs (fictional and real)

He is more expressive than any ILI I have known. He seems to be very reactive and friendly to people, (not overboard, obviously) and doesn't seem to have the aloofness in a group of new people as an ILI would seem to have. He is also very passive and doesn't usually take initiative in RELATIONSHIPS.. however, that is changing =P

Extremely intelligent. He just seems so very IEI to me, but some parts don't fit at all. Always uses perfect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. when typing. Definitely gives off the impression of being well-learned, but also quite dorky. Loves awkward moments, apparently.

Thinking of who he would need as a Dual, all I can make out is that is needed. There it is again, can't tell if ESFp or ESTp would be a better match.

He is quite straightforward with feelings, admitting a whole lot to me very suddenly to get to the point because it apparently was "driving him crazy". Would an ILI be so open-hearted? He is also very poetic when he does such things ... probably one of the most romantic guys I have known, but not in that overly gushy way. It's just right.

It's weird cause usually creative vs. creative would be easy to tell apart. Which makes me wonder about the whole subtype theory. If he were an ILI extreme subtype, would that make his PoLR not so much a PoLR anymore? Somehow, that doesn't make too much sense to me because the lines get so blurred in regards to subtypes... grah.

Yeaaaah.... =/

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

He seems to have the Beta values of strife and so on, doesn't he? He loves awkward moments, and expresses his feelings etc. - I don't think you have much of a reason to think he was INTp. He could be an extreme INTp, but how would you ever know? (it's a question that needs researching) - most of the info fits INFp anyhow.

(I was reading this interview with Jarvis Cocker - (the lead singer in Pulp) recently - he's prolly a INTp, maybe a subtype. He was saying that his wife always says to him 'why aren't you more open about your emotions?' etc. - JC has written many songs about how he feels, but they are always quite factual e.g. about how he dated a girl in a supermarket, or about how he would like things to be (but in a detached way) - 'Oh they thought that when we grew up,
    we'd get married, and never split up.'

So he can express himself, but not necessarily in an emotive or type manner. (Sorry to bore you )).

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, thanks for the reply Subterranean. Yeah, my post sounded like there was no true basis for thinking he was an INTp.. but I can't help but think something is slightly off?

I don't know, he doesn't go overboard with the as I know many INFps do (yes, even males) ... the male INFps I know are all emoticon-happy online. This guy, not.

Strife.. I'm not too sure how you got that from my description of him? Was it just the liking awkwardness bit?

In general, he seems almost too interested in certain things to be INFp.. we were in Toronto and some random guy came up to us and began listing the entire periodic table ... he carries around this little periodic table sheet and was making sure he listed all of them right. He seemed to love the idea of this guy memorizing all the elements, etc. It frankly made me bored (slightly) even though I still thought it was really quirkily cool, but wasn't as pleased as this guy.

He does use pretty expressive words though.. "I LOVE..." etc. which I hear INTps are rare to do. The ILIs I know are very, very aloof. They will just stand there in a strange, laconic pose most of the time and aren't very easy to talk to. This guy is very easy to talk to.

We do have some tension though. I think it's only because we don't know eachother too well yet, and have that added awkwardness of liking each-other.

Johari
    Nohari

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He sounds INFp with a very active hidden agenda. The following is more than :
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    In general, he seems almost too interested in certain things to be INFp.. we were in Toronto and some random guy came up to us and began listing the entire periodic table ... he carries around this little periodic table sheet and was making sure he listed all of them right. He seemed to love the idea of this guy memorizing all the elements, etc. It frankly made me bored (slightly) even though I still thought it was really quirkily cool, but wasn't as pleased as this guy.
    He reminds me a little of me in elementary school, only in lieu of Chemistry, I was into Physics and Astronomy.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He sounds Ni IP, probably more INFp than INTp, indeed.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, INFp (he sounds like me! I, also, am very particular with my spelling)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then. I'm glad we all agree lol

Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God... learning the Periodic Table? I mostly know it, but that's not because I make a concerted effort to learn it. It just stays there.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, he didn't learn it. If you're talking about the guy we're trying to type here (the random guy on the street was learning it, yes.. apparently only "for two weeks")

This guy we're trying to type said he carries that card around for show. As if it would be really funny if one day someone needed help with chemistry and he could just pull it out and say, "Yes! I know!" ... I think he finds these novel sorts of things very amusing. He also has an audio recorder which he sometimes records conversations with.

Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux
    No, he didn't learn it. If you're talking about the guy we're trying to type here (the random guy on the street was learning it, yes.. apparently only "for two weeks")

This guy we're trying to type said he carries that card around for show. As if it would be really funny if one day someone needed help with chemistry and he could just pull it out and say, "Yes! I know!" ... I think he finds these novel sorts of things very amusing. He also has an audio recorder which he sometimes records conversations with.
    Not something I'd ever do.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a weirdo. (That's something I would do ). Oh, and I almost never use emoticons online.
    Achtung Baby.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think INFp is more likely than INTp.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei