Thread: What type is university research?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What type is university research?

What type is university research?

What type enjoies that kind of thing? Teaching plus research?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alpha/gamma nt. more alpha.
    asd

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am doubtful that it is type related.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not something inherit to type, but i think the question was unscientific and he wanted us to count the types of our past/current research professors and find some patterns in their types. It's a big boo-hoo as far as facts/good information are concerned, but let's talk about it since we make these generalizations anyway. I've prefaced us with the fact that these generalizations cannot be taken as fact, nor do they stand any chance of being proven. That should give us ground for many posts to question other's knowledge/understanding of Socionics and come to a consensus on a few trends in type.

1-2-3 go.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also say it depends on the subject being studied at Uni.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

My observations:

Physical Sciences:
    Alpha NTs

Engineering:
    Gamma NTs

I think it's a mixed up in the others.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's even possible that different types might do their research differently, depending up their main functions. Subjective and objective reasoning, for example.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not think that the subject matters nearly as much as the method. Types of all varieties can be found conducting and enjoying research, especially since research is very much a requirement of university professors. The type differences lie in part in how they go about this research.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    I do not think that the subject matters nearly as much as the method. Types of all varieties can be found conducting and enjoying research, especially since research is very much a requirement of university professors. The type differences lie in part in how they go about this research.
    That being said, there are likely to be certain subjects that simply wouldn't interest certain types, as they lack the elements that they enjoy. Computer sciences lack a lot of feeling, and therefore may not be very attractive to those who value it.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but what it lacks in feeling it more than makes up in sweat, and flame shirts.

computer science is still great! I remember fondly learning number theory from a major of computer sciences major.
    asd

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    That being said, there are likely to be certain subjects that simply wouldn't interest certain types, as they lack the elements that they enjoy. Computer sciences lack a lot of feeling, and therefore may not be very attractive to those who value it.
    True enough, but going through this topic just by subject matter is not very beneficial or meaningful as it will just be a degenerative game of grabs by different types and quadras for subject matters. Instead, would it not be more beneficial to look at this by how the functions aid in the research method? How do certain types go about research and why do they do it as such or at all?
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    True enough, but going through this topic just by subject matter is not very beneficial or meaningful as it will just be a degenerative game of grabs by different types and quadras for subject matters. Instead, would it not be more beneficial to look at this by how the functions aid in the research method? How do certain types go about research and why do they do it as such or at all?
    You can theorise about it as much as you like, I cannot stop you. I was just pointing some things out.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how I would be for the research side of things, but often when I'm listening to a lecture. I sit there and think, "man, I could easily do this!"

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    Not sure how I would be for the research side of things, but often when I'm listening to a lecture. I sit there and think, "man, I could easily do this!"
    The lecture is only the finished product. Most academics spent 90% of their itme in the lab/office doing research.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Media and Feminism profs are probably mostly ENFjs

I have a history degree and by far most of my profs were NTs with a couple NFs. History seems to attract very few Sensory types, which makes sense because it is a relatively abstract field which requires a lot of writing and theorizing abstract things.

I took some psychology courses too and they seemed NT dominated but, relative to history, very much more Sensor friendly (i.e. less writing, more multiple choice exams, more experimenting)

Anyways, although it's a blatant generalization and will not always hold true, in general University research would be favourable to NT types. I don't think anyone can honestly debate that. I mean that university-level research caters to NT strengths. NTs, particularly INTps and INTjs whose natural abilities are not readily recognized and/or valued in the business world, thus logically find a place in academia.
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian
    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand
    The lecture is only the finished product. Most academics spent 90% of their itme in the lab/office doing research.
    What, you mean profs don't have a 6-hour work-week?

...I guess it's sessional lecturer for me...