Thread: Fe and roles

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fe and roles

I've heard more than a few people on this forum talk about how Fe sees people in roles. I've sorta tossed this one around a bit and I'm not sure I understand it. I could see it relating to aristocracy, but speaking purely in terms of ethics, it almost makes more sense that Fi would be more prone to see and understand roles that people have in relationships with others. On the other hand though, an ESFj is extremely likely to be very aware of social and gender roles, etc.

Is there anything written on this subject? If so, link me, por favor.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously given that

extraverted functions work with objects
    and introverted functions work with fields

and that

roles are attributes of objects, not of fields

roles cannot be Fi, and they must be some Je function, so if the choice is between Fe and Fi, it must be Fe

This just to show how if you tried to reason about what you write you'd get the answer by yourself
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would see the relationships between others in an ESFp way, that is, who's friends with whom, but beyond the immediate social roles -- more in the "intimate" realm.

is about roles of the immediate group atmosphere (even if the group is only of two people), where "immediate" can also be longer-term as in a professional environment.

I don't know if it's written like that somewhere, but Kristiina wrote about it and it was very good.

Hers is perhaps a more Beta view point, and ENFj in particular -- like -- imagine that every group situation is an ongoing play, but formed more or less spontaneously or according to a previous understanding of the roles. Like in a real play, if you say or do something outrageously against your "lines", you are causing a comotion. So, if the group has already accepted that some people are the "fun" ones and the "leaders", if someone else tries to act in a "fun" way or try to be the "let's do this now, guys", from the Fe "roles" point of view you are doing something unacceptable - the equivalent, from Te point of view, of telling a lie.

From the point of view of Fe-roles focused persons, the aim is to "move" into the desired social role in a group, and be accepted by others in that role. Only then does the Fe-view of what's going on makes sense.

So, if a person has seen himself or herself as a "funny" person in a group, and someone else says "well, personally I don't think that's funny", the person sees that as an attack on his/her role. As in a play, your true feelings on whether it's funny or not are less important than the fact that that person's role is as the funny one.

Therefore, even your not laughing, but not saying anything, can be seen as an attack on that person's Fe role. That's why a reaction will be a "counter-attack" trying to re-define your social role. "Take that"!

Fe PoLR types are usually totally oblivious, or barely aware, of this level of role-play; Fe role types will be more aware of it but not really grasping, or agreeing with, what's going on.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expat, look up at the description of ENFj @ socionics.us.

Fe-dominance makes you aware of the roles. You can, then, decide if to play your role, break your role, change your role, confuse other people by always shifting your role. Which is what ENFjs supposedly do - shifting roles in order not to have a role.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Fe-dominance makes you aware of the roles. You can, then, decide if to play your role, break your role, change your role, confuse other people by always shifting your role. Which is what ENFjs supposedly do - shifting roles in order not to have a role.
    ENFjs want to be the ones controlling their, and others', roles; that would be one manifestation of Fe EJ.

Ok, my description made it appear too static. Let's say that what Fe-dominances dislike is not any change in the roles, but changes against what they have in mind.

But as to ENFjs "shifting roles in order not to have a role" - I disagree, they do want to have a role, the one they have chosen in that particular situation.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is illuminating! I'm currently undergoing an internship at a television company. I'm working on a cooking show where the environment is overloaded with Fe. It's extremely hard for me to keep up with them since it's in my superego block. Sometimes, i fake a smile just to avoid their suspicions. The worst part is that I am new at this place. And they want me to be more emotionally involved! Today, they (the producers, the talent, and the director) teased me about taking too much space and wanting to steal the show! It was, of course, completely sarcastic... and extremely humiliating!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Therefore, even your not laughing, but not saying anything, can be seen as an attack on that person's Fe role. That's why a reaction will be a "counter-attack" trying to re-define your social role. "Take that"!
    This is exactly what happened. Even though it wasn't meant in a mean way, it still felt odd. I'm like the straight man in a weird Alpha-Beta comedy! Or rather the partypooper. I can't do anything but adapt. I think I already am: see how many exclamation points I added in this post?!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd do very badly in that place. I'd sit and stare. If anyone tried to make me laugh when I didn't want to, then I bloody well wouldn't.
    INTP/ILI(Ni) /5w4

"When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done.
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KSpin
    I'd do very badly in that place. I'd sit and stare. If anyone tried to make me laugh when I didn't want to, then I bloody well wouldn't.
    Not when your internship depends on it! :wink: Their motto: Rigor and Good Humor! And don't you dare forget to smile...