Thread: Fi vs Fe types and understanding relationships

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi vs. Fe types and understanding relationships

What's the difference between Fi and Fe types when it comes to understanding relationships? (Note that when I say "Fi and Fe types" I'm talking about ethical types only, not quadra values.)
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I post this because Fi is about relationships, but Fe types have strong Fi. How would an ExFj or IxFp approach relationships differently than an ExFp or IxFj?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very simplistically --

From the point of view of a Fe EJ or Fe IP, "no Fe, no Fi".
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Fi types? "No Fi, no Fe?" Or do they still use Fe when they need to, such as professionally?

When it comes to understanding relationships (seeing likes and dislikes, knowing how close a relationship is, etc.), how are Fe types different than Fi types?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    What about Fi types? "No Fi, no Fe?" Or do they still use Fe when they need to, such as professionally?

When it comes to understanding relationships (seeing likes and dislikes, knowing how close a relationship is, etc.), how are Fe types different than Fi types?
    fi types...the more fi, the less fe
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I have to correct myself. Let's say that what I wrote is true for negativist-Fi types (I've seen it to be a feature of both ENFps and ISFjs)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I post this because Fi is about relationships, but Fe types have strong Fi. How would an ExFj or IxFp approach relationships differently than an ExFp or IxFj?
    Elaborating on this further --

The difference is that ExFjs and IXFps have strong Fi, but it's overruled by, or defined by, Fe. IME, EXFjs accept, eventually, the concept of strong Fi without visible manifestation as Fe, but then they tend to think you are "shy" or "repressed" and think that they must "help" you or whatever. The concept of low-Fe relationships is one they don't tend to see as legitimate.

For IXFps, being irrational and with creative Fe, I think it's even clearer, since they might not even rationally judge (heh) whether there is some Fi there despite the low Fe -- they just go about how the perceived low Fe affects their perceptions.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi types use Fe "professionally" or "socially" but they tend to see it as "politeness" or "what you do in such situations with people you don't know well".

Two examples (ISFj). My ISFj ex had a very difficult relationship with her stepmother and, in fact, deeply disliked her. Yet, when the stepmother invited herself for a visit, the ISFj was courteous and friendly, took her places, etc. However, the conversation remained on the level of small talk and I could see that she kept a certain emotional distance from her stepmother. It was as if she was entertaining a client or something. But she would never become "jokey" with the stepmother -- her Fi would not allow the Fe to go that far.

Another example is that wonderful case study for ISFj, Christopher Hitchens -- when in public debates, he doesn't use any Fe at all in the sense that he doesn't let the Fe environment affect him. He's incredibly rude when he feels like it, as in telling a member of the audience, "what an incredibly stupid question", so humiliating him in front of everyone. Hitchens's aim, though, was not to humiliate him in front of the audience, that would be a Fe aim -- he was just telling the guy exactly what he thought of his question.

However, even now, should he have to interview someone important, you bet he'd go for the minimal Fe "politeness" use.