References to dichotomies referenced in this article: Process/Result, Negativist/Positivist, Static/Dynamic
Defining Specialized Logical Functions by V. Gulenko
Notes: This is Gulenko's early work that preceded his writing on cognitive styles.
General logic, structuring, will be denoted by function L. Its varieties will then be called specialized logical functions. If one considers that not a single sociotype is same as the other in its logical thinking, from this follows that there must be as many specialized functions as there are sociotypes - sixteen. Specialized functions I will denote with + and - signs as well as make use of operations from propositional logic. In this article when the word "logic" carries the meaning of structural logic rather than business logic.
1. Sign dichotomies
Originally I have assigned the positive and negative signs of communicative functions, including logic, to the dichotomy "left/right" [also known as process/result]. "Right" logic I have denoted with symbol +L and left logic by -L. What is the difference between these two logic types?
Right/Process/Evolutionary logic: straight and absolute, has no reverse feedback. This type of logic as if delineates contours of forms on some background that is then discarded as insignificant. It is characterized by absence of context and is categorical, explicit in judgements.
Left/Result/Involutionary logic: inversive, derived from straight logic using the operation of subtraction. It is reflexive and considers not the upfront side as much as the back side of the coin. It underlines the background, contextual dependencies of judgements.
Right logic (process): ILE, SEI, EIE, LSI, SEE, ILI, LSE, EII
Left logic (result): ESE, LII, SLE, IEI, LIE, ESI, IEE, SLI
However, there is another way of assign + and - signs that is no less substantiated: using the dichotomy of negativism/positivism. Then +L will denote the logic of positivists while -L will denote the logic of negativists.
Positivist logic: unified, accordant in all parts. This kind of logic comes closest to what is known as formal logic. An example of this kind of logic is syllogism - inferential sequence of arguments described by Aristotle in "Organon".
Negativist logic: logic of contradictions. Dialectic, containing in itself oppositions and contradictions. This logical instrument works best when analyzing complicated multilayered systems.
Positivists: ILE, ESE, LSI, IEI, SEE, LIE, EII, SLI
Negativists: SEI, LII, EIE, SLE, ILI, ESI, LSE, IEE
For further in depth analysis of logical processes of different types we will also need another dichotomy that differentiates static logic from dynamic logic.
Static logic: logic of fixed structures, frozen logic. Logic of the evolved i.e. final state of system.
Dynamic logic: logic of becoming. This kind of logic deals with transitions that exist within the process of transformation of structures.
Static types: ILE, LII, EII, IEE, ESI, SEE, LSI, SLE
Dynamic types: SEI, ESE, LSE, SLI, ILI, EIE, IEI
2. Four classes of logic
Recognizing that both of these assignments of plus and minus signs are equally valid, lets try to combine them. If we combine the left/right dichotomy with dichotomy of positivism/negativism, we will get four groups of sociotypes each possessing its own specialized logic. Lets omit the static/dynamic factor out of sign denotation.
Right-static positivists: Their logic is assigned two plus signs ++L. First plus sign corresponds to "right", second - to "positivist". Deterministic logic. It embodies the classical notion of logic. If-then logic. Logic of subordination, strict hierarchy. This logic is characteristic for written instructions, laws, resolutions. This logic is characteristic for sociotypes ILE, LSI, SEE, EII.
Right-dynamic negativists: Plus-minus logic +-L. Logic of genesis. It analyzes conception, the birth of one function from another. Reflects continuity of development, unity and struggle of the opposites. And-or logic. Has the most obfuscated style of expression. This logic is characteristic for sociotypes SEI, EIE, ILI, LSE.
Left-dynamic positivists: Minus-plus logic -+L. Stochastic logic. Logic of probabilities, contingencies and exceptions, of mechanical sums rather than derivatives. Violation of hierarchy. Expression is "conglomerative" as if artificially composed from different styles. This logic is characteristic for sociotypes ESE, LIE, SLI, IEI.
Left-static negativists: Minus-minus logic --L. Holographic logic. Types that think holographically are able to encompass the entire structure as whole but without specifics. This logic is compensatory - it fills in missing links in a structure. Logic of resolution of contradictions, of correction of mistakes while the system is kept intact. This logic is characteristic for sociotypes LII, SLE, ESI, IEE.
Process Logic(+) Positive Logic(+) - Deterministic logic
Result Logic(-) Positive Logic(+) - Stochastic logic
Process Logic(+) Negative Logic(-) - Genesis logic
Result Logic(-) Negative Logic(-) - Hologprahic logic
These groups coincide with already known in socionics rings of revision [supervision]. This fact confirms the assumption that relations of revision have the maximal structure-forming capacity.
3. Analysis of individual logic functions
- ILE: Logic of isomorphism, analogies, transfer of structures from one area to another. Lets denote this logic function with sign of identity: =
- LSI: The logic of subordination, of strict hierarchy. The logic of progression, of implication: if A, then must be B. Lets denote this logic function with arrow pointing to the right: ->
- SEE: The logic of co-subordination. It carries over the equivalence of two objects: if A, then B, and vice versa. Lets denote this logic function with arrow pointing both ways: <->
- EII: The logic of being subordinate. Inclusion of some elements into some class. Following the goals of oversystem. Logic of reverse implication: A, because B. Lets denote this logic function with arrow pointing to the left: <-
- SEI: Logic of synthesis. It extinguishes differences and underlines similarities. Union of the opposites. Operation of conjunction. Lets denote this logic with sign /\
[Conjunction: The statement A /\ B is true if A and B are both true; else it is false.]
- EIE: The logic of differentiation, of discovery of derivative functions. Convergence to the limit. Measurement of rate of change of a variable. Isolation of constants in that which is changing. Lets denote this logic with sign >-
- ILI: Logic of parallel progression. Branching. Disjunctive logic that separates the opposites. Logic of safeguards, of spare exits. Lets denote this logic with sign \/
[Disjunction: The statement A \/ B is true if A or B (or both) are true; if both are false, the statement is false.]
- LSE: The logic of integration, of discovery of the original, archetypal function. The logic of propulsion. The changing constantly. Lets denote this logic with sign -<
- IEI: Logic of chance, lack of causalities. Anti-determinism. Natural violations of the hierarchy. Logic of associations. Function of anti-implication. Lets denote it as <+
- ESE: The logic of inequalities, of lack of analogies and correspondences. Logic of heterogeneity that expresses the separateness of the two classes of phenomena. Lets denote this logical function with sign of crossed identities =/=
- SLI: Logic of insubordination, lack of inclusion into the system. Exit from subordination. Violation of the hierarchy from the bottom. The logic of independence. Lets denote this logical function with sign of crossed reverse implication +>
- LIE: Logic of choice between two alternatives. Mutual exclusion. Risk, which leads to success. The logic of finding a way into oversystem, formation of emergent properties. Or-or logic. Strict disjunction. Lets denote it with <+>
- ESI: The logic of self-preservation, of avoidance of collision. Movement via anti-parallel courses. Or-not function. Lets denote it by downwards arrow (Peirce arrow) ↓
- SLE: The logic of negation of differentiation. Overcoming of the limit, of the barrier. Concentration, contraction. Focus on that which is least stable, most fragile. The logic of elimination, of destruction. Lets denote it by >+
- LII: Logic of anti-synthesis, of finalized stable systems. Finding the counterweight, the opposite pole. Isolation of "pure", non-overlapping parts. Anti-conjuction. And-not function. Denoted by upwards arrow ↑
- IEE: Logic of anti-intergration. Dysfunctionality. Lets denote it by +<